Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Homer Simpson

Page: 1 of 1
 ksk h2o
01-06-2003, 8:50 AM
Homer Simpson Cometh
http://www.talocan.net/homer/hom2.jpg)

Very fresh off the bat, started Homer simpson today. I know there allready is the Q3 conversion of the popular Q2 model, but I wanted to make him from scratch. I'm sure he'll turn out better that way, rather than trying to tweak and edit somebody else's model.

I'll post screenies as the work progresses.

I was wondering if this model raised any interest at all. Homer was my fav model back in q2, and the hilarious sounds made him a hoot. Since this game is different from other fps games, and people seem to be a lot more interested in SW characters rather than off-beat adaptaions from outside the SW universe, I was wondeirng if there were any other people that would be happy to have this model see the light of day.

One of the reasons I wanted to start homer from scratch was bc, I wanted to create addiotional homer "looks" besides the default cartoon one (similar to the skins included in the original Q2 model), but didn't want to resort to just skins if I wanted to dress up homer in a jedi-gettup or give him a vader-life-support and helmet.

:D
 Klorel
01-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Sounds good to me. I think some non starwars characters is just what this game needs. I think the starwars characters are preferred just because they are the most detailed, and usually people to don't put as much effort into non SW characters because they don't have the support or perfectionists bugging them, their fans just figure that atleast its being made so why critique it, resulting in a model that could have been better. I say give it a go... if you build it - they will come.

-Klorel
 ksk h2o
01-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks Klorel,

Offtopic: Did you recevie the last version I sent you? What do you think?
 VinceJ
01-06-2003, 1:49 PM
Seeing Homer Simpson as a Jedi would be sweet, and funnier still would be the Comic Book Guy since he's into StarWars and StarTrek.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/trenchcoatman99/cbg.txt)
 Hekx
01-06-2003, 2:30 PM
Maybe if you have the time; you could make a 'Darth Homer' and surf off the helmet, since I think I remember a episode where he was Darth Homer..

Maybe a Jedi Bart Skywalker would be good for a Bart Model. :)

Anyway; sounds like a good idea, there's should be more non-SW characters in JK2 to add a more comical and different feel to the game.

Hopefully soon; Homer will be joining Duff Man in JKII :D
 Hellfire Jedi
01-06-2003, 3:25 PM
COuld i beta it?
I am sure it will be good. Also the Half Life Homer has a coned head :P But its good.
PS My m8 said he would give his best on skinning the ninja ;)
 Klorel
01-06-2003, 4:33 PM
Yeah I got it, my email is still messed up though. It works great, I'm very happy with it. Working on getting max to work so I can send you the "extra" pieces to the model, and then we can finish him up with LODs and such.

Back on topic, the comic book store owner would be a great model too, much more related to star wars... but Vince J you should post a request for him, cause looks like Homer is what ksk h2o has his sights on for the time being. And if the head is pointy then I'm glad ksk h2o is doing his own from scratch.

-Klorel
 ksk h2o
01-07-2003, 6:39 AM
While comic book guy might be a cool addition later on (he roughly has the same body as homer, I would just need to make a new head) I'm quite set on making homer right now.

Hmm... running into a dilemma here as I'm building homer.

Do I make him with his classical white T-shirt? or do I give him a long sleeve garb. I was thinking this:

Neutral/default Homer: Homer as we know him, white T, blue jeans

Red/CTF homer: Darth Homer, with a vader helm, cape and vader gettup

Blue/Ctf homer: Jedi Homer, Homer in Jedi garb.

The down side is if I want to make a good model, I'll essentially be making 3 models! The Loose jedi clothes mesh wont look too good on regular or darth homer, and darth homers vader suit wont look good on the others, the T shirt will also look bad on the two others. Hmm... I could make one model with three different torso/arms and surf off the unused meshed but it will look bad (especially the cape and helm) during drain/lightning/duel challenge. If I'm going to make 3 seperate models, you better kiss LODS goodbye bc I'm okay makin 3 seperate models but forget about making 9!

Any ideas or suggestions on this.

http://www.talocan.net/homer/mhom3.jpg)
http://www.talocan.net/homer/darthhomer.jpg)
 Psyk0Sith
01-07-2003, 3:53 PM
How about this:

Make the basic Homer, then add the vader stuff over it as separate removable meshes so you have Homer/Vader.

The other model would be the Jedi with full robe.

So you weight 2 models instead of 3.

That would rock!
 SupremePain
01-07-2003, 6:50 PM
first of all i just wanna say... WOOHOOO! i love the Simpsons! and that darth vader version of him is gonna rock just as much , i agree with Psyko's idea that would be sweet;)
 ksk h2o
01-08-2003, 4:18 AM
So I should do away with the classic White T shirt and blue jeans homer? I guess people would rather use him dressed up as a jedi or vader. It will be much easier to make creative skins for the regular homer though (the Q2 model had tons of skin variants: punisher, swat homer, negociator homer, etc.)

:)
 Klorel
01-08-2003, 11:06 AM
I'd rather you do the normal homer than the starwars version if it means you can only do one. Its your model, but I think the normal homer (and maybe the darth homer) would suffice, as far as a jedi homer, I would'nt worry about it for now, just get creative with the skin on the normal homer body and maybe throw in a shader or something -- make blue homer your own design. Although I'd really like to see all 3, Its also very important that the LODs are included because of framerates (thats why I never use the mandalorians- well besides the wierd animation glitches) So I vote in this order if you have to choose:
Normal Homer
Darth Homer
Jedi Homer
guess thats my 2 cents for now.

-Klorel
 ksk h2o
01-09-2003, 6:56 AM
I understand your concern for LODS Klorel, and right now it's lookin like homer is going to be heavy model (especially darth homer). Right now the mesh is basically what you would call a naked homer (only partial completion). Since naked homer will be a good basis for darth homer and t shirt homer, I'm pretty sure to have a classic homer. As for jedi homer, i will have to see once I'm at that point in modelling. It might be too much work to make the body mesh into a loose garb. I'm workin a lot on the head and hopefully will have the symmetry finished soon so I can post a first screenie of homies head. :D

You might be quite right on the money when you say a lot of the issues could be fixed with a good skin. Darth Homer and regular homer may be made into one main body mesh with differring accessories. If I build him like that and LOD him, then split him in two a the last stage and remove the darth homer accessories from regular homer and the shirt collar from darth homer, I can have two very clean glm's. The down side of this will be that the detail level of darth homer, wont be that high. The boots, gloves etc, will have to be dealt with a skin and wont have a mesh definition... I guess I'll see that as I go forward. :)
 Hekx
01-09-2003, 9:07 AM
You could have normal default homer; red darth homer and then a blue ghost homer using shaders.
You can surf off the helmet for the default and blue, so you'll only need 1 model.
The Jedi homer sounds good too; it all depends if you want to make multiple models. The Jedi homer could be a ghost too. :p
 Klorel
01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
I think maybe add a Hair Surface to him and go for the younger homer look for the blue, maybe even skin his tshirt and pants to look "like" Lukes on Dagobah (with a blue tint of course). I like the idea of the ghost, but I don't think people like using ghosts most of the time, just when they are feeling wierd, so to force someone in CTF to use it isn't that great of an idea, plus you'll have that whole vader luke think going on. yep.

-Klorel
 NeoMarz1
01-10-2003, 9:47 AM
You could make a Sandperson Homer, a Jawa Homer, and Boba Fett Homer as well... Sorry just thought I'd add to the chaos:D

Oh, Oh, How bout a Jar Jar Binks Homer:D Sorry had to get one more punch in. Actually there are a lot of good ideas, I just had to poke a little fun here. I can't wait to see Homer! The taunts alone could be amazing. I saw the Santa Homer (you know the dancing doll), and I was in the middle of the mall rolling from his renditions of christmas songs. I guess I was the only one that thought he was funny, cuz everyone was staring at me like I was a crazy. Anyhoooooo...... Mars out!
 Admiral_Ackbar8
01-10-2003, 6:28 PM
homer would make an excellent model
cant wait:D
 ksk h2o
01-11-2003, 8:11 AM
I've got the head mesh to look exactly like homer... the problem is the head is about 1k polys so I'm trying to reduce the polycount immensely :D (shouldn't be too bad, but since homer is very plump and round he isn't kind on polycounts.

I love your idea Klorel about the luke/vader thing with young homer's hairdo. I think I might go that way. An additional ghost skni should be fairly easy to do, but I think klorel is right about not imposing it as a blue team skin... it would be a nice additional skin though.

Ahh Marz.. the taunts... I was dying of laughter when the homer model came out for quake2... "I can't feel my legs! I can't feel my legs!" (that's definitely a sound that will be in there).

Once the model will be done (not soon) I plan on taking a lot of input to get the funniest taunt sounds in there.

Oh ya.. you forgot about yoda homer, marz :D

Current unfinished head:
http://www.talocan.net/homer/homer.jpg)
 Klorel
01-11-2003, 12:08 PM
... WOW....thats awesome. Looks just like him - I have nothing to critique. You even got the ears right... which is pretty good. just needs balding hair (and 2 hairs on top) and its perfect. Maybe you should model the body before you lower the head polys just to get an idea of how much to lower it, cause if youre body proves to be kinder witht he polys than the head then maybe you don't have to worry as much. good work.

-Klorel
 Eldritch
01-11-2003, 7:19 PM
Looking good, ksk. Don't forget to round off the mouth area. I'm sure you'll take care of that, though.

Anyone remember the Simpson's episode where Mark Hamill guest starred?

Mark Hamill (as Luke) : Use... the force, Homer.
Homer : The force?
Mark Hamill : No! The forks! The forks! Use the forks!

:lol:
 skywalker19
01-14-2003, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
Looking good, ksk. Don't forget to round off the mouth area. I'm sure you'll take care of that, though.

Anyone remember the Simpson's episode where Mark Hamill guest starred?

Mark Hamill (as Luke) : Use... the force, Homer.
Homer : The force?
Mark Hamill : No! The forks! The forks! Use the forks!

:lol:

Is that where homer was his bodyguard or somethin? i cant remember :confused:
 Eldritch
01-14-2003, 8:05 PM
Originally posted by skywalker19
Is that where homer was his bodyguard or somethin? i cant remember :confused:

Yep, that's the one. ;P
 12thMonkey
01-15-2003, 4:41 PM
It's nice to see a model that gets away from the Star Wars theme.

It already is looking great, but the ears need to be less rounder.
 InTeRLoPeR
01-18-2003, 1:09 PM
Mmmmmmm..... Homer model. Looks good man.
 Elessar-Eдrfalas
01-18-2003, 3:26 PM
haha this models gonna be sweet ingame, i cant wait to run around with Homer with a lightsaber, lol.
 El Sitherino
01-18-2003, 5:10 PM
if you need any sounds for this i can get you some. i was thinking for the kill you could have the one when homer makes that chef mad when hes a food critic and hes missing part of his ear cuz the chef cut it off and he says" hmmm. i seem to be missing part of my ear..... touche."
 [DJC] Tyranus
01-23-2003, 7:00 PM
OMG Cracking Start

Cant wait for the full model to be finished.

Good Luck

-Ty
 Admiral_Ackbar8
02-07-2003, 5:59 PM
came back to this thread to see how the model is going and i think the head looks awesome but maybe you could fix the righteyelid because to me it looks like its tilted slightly downwards and he needs those bits of hair he has but beside that its AWESOME!!
 __CKY__
02-07-2003, 9:28 PM
So where's the updates? :D lol
 ksk h2o
02-09-2003, 9:56 AM
I've been bad with homer... he's been on the back burner going through very slow progress.... I've had to travel a lot recently for work and had to move apts as well.... things are settling down so I should bea ble to start working on hm again soon. :D
 __CKY__
02-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Awesome :D
 Altus_Thrawn
02-09-2003, 1:32 PM
VERY cool. The simpsons are the only show I like.
Homer is funny..........very funny. Way cool.
 Kain
03-02-2003, 7:14 PM
so...is Homer not coming?
 ksk h2o
03-03-2003, 4:11 AM
Too much work to do right now... but he is not abandoned... just coming along VERY slowly. :(

I will finish him... it's just that right now I have my hands a little full with the kind of work that feeds me :)
 __CKY__
03-03-2003, 11:50 PM
lol
Page: 1 of 1