Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mara Jade Released...

Page: 1 of 2
 Edward Peretti
12-23-2002, 10:13 AM
...well not quite. I've just submited the file to jkII.net. I'm away for two weeks (gotta catch my train as soon as I finish typing!) so whether they release her during that time it's up to them.

Hopefully someone will give out a link if she is released some time soon.

Have a nice Christmas everybody! :D

Edd
 t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 10:18 AM
/me crosses fingers so the e-mail gets through

btw, merry chirstmas! :D
 Mex
12-23-2002, 10:21 AM
I hope a www.jediknightii.net) files person is on right now! :D
 Hellfire Jedi
12-23-2002, 10:31 AM
Most likly wont be up for quite a few hours all depends on who is looking/awake ^_^. Nice Job Edd

Hellfire
 Toonces
12-23-2002, 10:39 AM
I'll post it right now :)
 Tzar Sectus
12-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Yay!

jkii.net better post that model soon, or else I'll start randomly killing their staff :vadar: :nutz3:

-Remi
 Toonces
12-23-2002, 10:47 AM
http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=1091)

I'll post some news on the main page as soon as I wake up :)
 t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Toonces
http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=1091)

I'll post some news on the main page as soon as I wake up :)
w00. thanks toonces. :D
 AlzWisHum
12-23-2002, 11:01 AM
Wow, really cool BTW...
 t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 11:10 AM
drat... the jacket isn't toggleable (and no, not for that reason :p)... ah well, still an awesome model.

/me dreams of future pieces from ed :cool:
 boredboy
12-23-2002, 11:15 AM
yeah it's a shame the jacket isn't removable, and reskinning is a whole lot harder with only one file...
i'm not critiquing, i love the model :)
 Pnut_Man
12-23-2002, 11:44 AM
I love the npc single player trick! Thank you ED!
 DarkLord_44
12-23-2002, 12:00 PM
really nice. Thanks for all your hard work and the product is wonderful.
 frendon
12-23-2002, 12:49 PM
It looks AWESOME!!!, good bye ugly jan! :P THANKS ED
 Psyk0Sith
12-23-2002, 2:03 PM
WOW...fantastic job! i love her...hmm, it i mean.
 Mest
12-23-2002, 5:01 PM
ok i downloaded mara and have found a few problems with her.

1. her arms are detached at the elbows. there is a large gap between her upper arm and lower arm on both arms.

2. she doesnt have a taunt. i press taunt and all she does is do the thing with her hand, no sound.

i know this isnt my comp or games fault because i have downloaded countless models and all have worked perfectly.
 Tzar Sectus
12-23-2002, 5:40 PM
Just tested the model, it totally kicks ass! The best model I've seen for JO so far.

Just for the heck of it, I took some pictures to compare the old Mara from MOTS to this remake:
http://www.strategyplanet.com/xcom/pageofremi/temp/old-mara.jpg) http://www.strategyplanet.com/xcom/pageofremi/temp/new-mara.jpg)
Can you tell the difference? :D

I think I'm in love with this model 3heart Now, all we need is a nudie skin for the model ;P

-Remi
 morphius_doh
12-23-2002, 5:47 PM
Wow! Those screenshots really show how much of an improvement this model is!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-23-2002, 6:48 PM
The reason why u wont hear the sounds is because there not mp3

Hellfire
 Mest
12-23-2002, 8:44 PM
shouldnt they be?

and what about the elbow problem. even in one of the screen shots on jediknightii.net they show the problem. look at the right arm (thats YOUR right) on the blue team mara and you will see the problem. sometimes it connects on the front but it never connects on the back.
 Kain
12-23-2002, 10:06 PM
y must u detest mest. its a great model. if u can do better, do it and quit bitchin. thank you for your time. good day to you sir
 Kain
12-23-2002, 11:02 PM
btw mest. it is ur system cuz i just got done messin with it and she has her own taunts and her elbows dont detach. i think u'r jus dumb and dont have ur speakers on. try again...
 Tyler_Durden
12-24-2002, 12:59 AM
whoa, whoa, what's the sp trick? I've been working on a level with mara in mind, probably won't be realeased any time soon, and not without permission either, but i just gotta know how to import this awesome, AWESOME model into the game. Great job Mr. Peretti.
 Mest
12-24-2002, 1:51 AM
hey, i meant no harm with any of my posts. chill. is it wrong to post an error with the model? I thought it was just a simple thing that could be fixed within 5 mins or something. do you flame people when they give constructive criticism? all i was pointing out was that something needed to be fixed with the model jesus.

i think mara is a GREAT model one of the best out there, but i cant stand to use her with that gap in her arms, its too distracting. but hey i am only one person so what does it matter. i will use her as a bot probably every time i play because then it isnt noticable as much.

o its my systems fault there are elbows missing? none of the other models i have downloaded have missing elbows. so is this model only meant to be played on perfect systems?

sorry for the rude post but i took offense to first being accused of bitching about this models crappiness (its not crappy in any way), and then being told its my own comps fault for the missing elbows.
 ronbrothers
12-24-2002, 2:46 AM
Edd, this is fantastic work! It was well worth the wait. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I love every aspect of this model. While it is beautiful, after playing around with it, no matter how good it looks, the bare midriff really doesn't fit Mara Jade.. I don't think. An alternate skin with the midriff only changed would be fun.

But even if that never happens, the release of this model is wothy of a celebration!
 ronbrothers
12-24-2002, 2:48 AM
Tzar Sectus, that old MOTS Mara looks painful compared to Edd's. Thanks for posting the pics.
 Lord Tnuc
12-24-2002, 3:16 AM
Out of curiosity...didn't Mara Jade have the same taunt in Masters Of Teras Kasi? The "all too easy" one? Or was that Vader? O.o...
 DarkLord_44
12-24-2002, 12:37 PM
I confirm the no sound in taunts but the model is great :)
 Lord Tnuc
12-24-2002, 12:45 PM
Btw, all sounds work fine on my computer
 boinga1
12-24-2002, 12:50 PM
if it's "just your system" Mest, then it's mine, too...she's got elbow gaps. Does anyone know how do convert .wav to .mp3?
 Psyk0Sith
12-24-2002, 1:38 PM
Does anyone know how do convert .wav to .mp3?

I use easy mp3 converter, its simple and fast.
 Hekx
12-24-2002, 2:56 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webb.home/stuff/Gaps.jpg)
I can see gaps in the elbows too ;)
 Professor Snape
12-24-2002, 3:16 PM
hmmm jediknightii.net isn't letting me download it. It looks good but i can't download it. Lil help here
 Mex
12-24-2002, 3:43 PM
Turn your geometry detail up to high and you wont see the elbow gaps.

It works fine for me, exept for the taunt! 9/10! :)
 Mest
12-24-2002, 3:47 PM
does geometry detail have any effect of the fps? just wondering.

also, how do you change jan into mara in singleplayer? or how do you spawn her?
 Kain
12-24-2002, 4:07 PM
i see no gaps. i get sound taunts. and only a few people are gettin those flaws. so its gotta be the system or maybe ur game settings
 Tyler_Durden
12-24-2002, 4:42 PM
Yeah we need a DEFINITIVE GUIDE on how to modify mp skins and models so that we can use em in a single player game. We need to know and we need to know now.
 Tzar Sectus
12-24-2002, 4:50 PM
does geometry detail have any effect of the fps? just wondering.
Yes, it's mostly depended on the graphics card though.

also, how do you change jan into mara in singleplayer? or how do you spawn her?
Well, changing Jan into Mara would require some editing (open npcs.cfg in the ext_data directory in assets0.pk3, and then find the jan entry and change her playermodel to "rebelmara"), it's heck easy to spawn a friendly Mara though. Just start/load a game, activate the console, write "devmapall" to enable cheats, and then write "npc spawn jedimara" (you can also replace "jedimara" with "rebelmara" if you want her with a blaster rifle instead of a lightabre). The game gets a lot more fun fighting aside lovely Mara :cool:

-Remi
 EmperorJello
12-24-2002, 5:02 PM
I have no problems with the model, and it works really well on JKII's maximum settings. :cool:

FYI, the taunts DO work, but only on JediMod/JediPLUS... because of that multiple taunt business. If you aren't running either of those two mods, then you'll get no taunts.

The skin plays really well, and I've tested under the highest performance specs JKII can muster--and it doesn't have any problems. I'm using my new computer, so I forgot how to enable MP dismemberment--so I can't test the caps right now.

I was really hoping to use the Agent_of_Evil skin as the Red skin, and use the other two as Blue skins, rather than have recolors... That should be easy enough to do myself, but I don't know how. If someone could instruct me, it'll be dandy. :)
 Mest
12-24-2002, 6:38 PM
no wonder no one is getting the "gap in the arms" problem. you guys are all using the game on its highest settings. i dont have them on the highest settings so it was doing it to me, i changed the settings higher and now she no longer has arm problems. i think it was what that one guy said a couple posts up (sorry i forgot your name) he said that geometry detail or something needs to be on its highest. since you all seem to be using the game on its highest settings anyway you are not encountering this problem. if i had enough money to afford a new comp that could handle the higher level settings then i would get one, but seeing as how i dont i wont, so there.
 Kain
12-24-2002, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by EmperorJello
I forgot how to enable MP dismemberment--so I can't test the caps right now.

dl the rikimaru thingy *dunno if its model or skin* and use him and kill a bot *or person*. dismemberment should occur then. thats how i got it to work atleast...

edit: sorry mest, didnt know that. WOO HOO!!! 1st post on 2nd page! WOO!!! DO THAT AGAIN!!!
 EmperorJello
12-25-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Mest
no wonder no one is getting the "gap in the arms" problem. you guys are all using the game on its highest settings. i dont have them on the highest settings so it was doing it to me, i changed the settings higher and now she no longer has arm problems. i think it was what that one guy said a couple posts up (sorry i forgot your name) he said that geometry detail or something needs to be on its highest. since you all seem to be using the game on its highest settings anyway you are not encountering this problem. if i had enough money to afford a new comp that could handle the higher level settings then i would get one, but seeing as how i dont i wont, so there.

:sigh:

Not quite, my friend, not quite. The only components that would need replacing would be your video card. Of course, one is assuming that the rest of your system could keep up with a newer video card.

I have an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, with 128 mb of video memory. I wanted the godly Radeon 9700 Pro, currentely the best card on the market, but my motherboard lacks an AGP 8x socket. By the time the GeForce4 FX comes out, I should have a suitable motherboard.

Ah yes... the pleasures of a 500mhz Double Draw Rate video card. :D
 Mest
12-25-2002, 2:21 AM
sorry for my ignorance but i dont know anything about upgrading a computer. i will ask for a new video card for my birthday.
 Lord Tnuc
12-25-2002, 9:36 AM
I'm not sure what the gap in the arms thing is about...I know I don't have mine on the highest settings..my computer can't handle highest settings. It can't even barely handle the menus. The one where you start a game. It skipsso much there. But Mara's just fine here.
 Edward Peretti
12-25-2002, 3:10 PM
Hey all!

Well hope you're all enjoying christmas. I managed to find internet access, so I couldn't resist the temptation :D

Yay! She's online :) cheers Toonces. Thanks for all the praise and input on the model. I'll look into that gap problem with the arms. I never really tested her with lower settings. I think the problem lies where the arms cut off, nearer to the elbow. The auto geometry reduction could be messing it up. Still, I'll look into it when I get back.

The taunts only work with jedimod/plus. I'm not sure if there's a way to make them work automaticaly without jedimod, but I'm pretty sure there isn't. Alot of the other sounds work nicely in single player when you spawn her as a jedi.

Sorry to all those with lower spec computers. I only had high specs in mind when I built her, but keep posting those bug reports (if you find anymore) and I'll see if I can fix them.

Seeyall later,

Edd
 WhiteShdw
12-28-2002, 6:35 AM
Thanks for the great model Ed. The best looking female model so far.

About the taunts. You can rename "taunt1" to "taunt" to get them to work in the normal game. Most models have "taunt". "taunt2", "taunt3" etc.. . It should still work in Jedimod after that.
I guess the default taunt is just named "taunt".

Good job on the SP sounds as well. I really like those.
 Tzar Sectus
12-28-2002, 6:45 AM
The model is pretty much perfect as I see it. If I'm going to be picky, my only complaint would be that it's kind of odd that when Mara gets cut in half she may say "Why can't I ever get a break", I think having characters say something when they die is a wee bit cheezy and out of place.

And yeah, one more complaint, I want a topless skin for the model :xp: *ducks from the incoming flames*

Otherwise, the model is pure perfection. The best model for JO out there.

-Remi

(wow, my forum rank has increased from Bantha Fodder to Jedi with the new server change, the new server must like me :p )
 Archonon
12-28-2002, 9:38 PM
Hello Edd,

First off I'd like to say that this is the best female model I've seen for JK2 so far, truly outstanding. I don't know if anyone has noticed but the only slight bug I can see is a minor clipping problem.

I use model view to see the characters ingame and see if their textures work correctly or if any changes I make to a model come out right and also to see them from the front well. In yellow stance, Mara's left arm clips through her chest...right through her left breast. I know many people don't see Mara from the front, and so far it hasn't been noticeable when fighting against her bot, though these usually use red stance when I fight them.

In any case, I thought you'd like to know in case this is a simple weighting problem and can be fixed easily, if not then I suppose it isn't too big a deal.

Thanks again for this fantastic model.
 Azrael-X
12-29-2002, 12:00 PM
Aye , As all before me had said , Truly awesome work on the model Ed , it was well worth the wait. =)

Keep up good work and hope you had a good holiday season. ^_^ Thanks again for the awesome model!
 Edward Peretti
12-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone. Glad you all like the model.

Archonon: cheers, I noticed the clipping. I noticed that Jan has the same clipping also. So I disguarded it.

I forgot to mention that the agent of evil player skin has no red / blue skins. I only intended her as a ffa player.

Finaly I fixed the arm gaps problem for you guys playing in low/medium detail geometry. I'll send the file off to toonces. The problem was that the low/medium geometry setting is based on the model's LODs. Most models don't have LODs so on lower geometry settings, the model's poly count stays the same. Some weights around the arm gaps were loose on maras LODs 1 & 2, so I fixed them up and voila! no more arm gaps :)
Page: 1 of 2