Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Beneath a Steel Sky

Page: 1 of 1
 BooJaka
12-21-2002, 9:27 AM
I'm trying to get Beneath a Steel Sky to work on Windows XP and it works perfectly for the first few seconds. I go through the fire exit door but, when I try and go back through it, the game just throws me back out to windows.

Anyone know why?

Also I can't get any sound to work on it but that might just be something to do with my soundcard. If you're wondering I downloaded it (legally) from The Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org).
 bgbennyboy
12-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Afaik, BASS doesnt like XP. You cant play it with vdmsound either because the changes to ntvdm in xp means it doesnt work (it will in 2k though). I cant help here, sorry.
 BooJaka
12-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Damn
 BooJaka
12-21-2002, 1:11 PM
Oh wait. I do't know why I said XP for. I'm running it on Win2000. Thus I will try it with VDMSound.

Thanks
 BooJaka
12-21-2002, 3:54 PM
OK, so now it's even worse. When I try and go through the fire door the first time (Something I could do before; it was the coming back which caused the problem) it just kicks me back out to Windows.

Any thoughts?
 Ender
12-22-2002, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by BooJaka15m
OK, so now it's even worse. When I try and go through the fire door the first time (Something I could do before; it was the coming back which caused the problem) it just kicks me back out to Windows.

Any thoughts?

Forget it, unless somebody writes a ScummVM-style clone of the engine. BASS is written in 99% pure raw assembly... in short, it does 1001 things that Windows NT/2K/XP doesn't like, and you have no hope of it ever working. :)
 bgbennyboy
12-22-2002, 6:24 PM
Firstly, bah
Secondly, you *can* get it working apparently in 2k.
I dont have BASS or 2k though so I cant help more.

See this (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447&highlight=steel+sky) thread.
Page: 1 of 1