Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

how easy is it to skin>

Page: 1 of 1
 slimking
12-17-2002, 11:19 AM
i was thinking of trying it? i duno where to start?
 Matt-Liell
12-17-2002, 2:25 PM
get Pakscape, notepad and any painting program i.e. paint shop pro 7, adobe photoshop and get a tutorial and you'll be ready to go!
 slimking
12-18-2002, 12:23 PM
ok i have paint shop pro 7 and a rocking fast PC, i just need a tutorial :p
 boinga1
12-31-2002, 6:25 PM
skinning is easy in principle, but to make superb skins like neomarz...probably not easy.
 Pnut_Man
12-31-2002, 6:33 PM
I got into skinning last month, took me about 2 days to get familiar with the basics..

Best tutorial (in my opinion :P)

http://www.theforce.net/games/jo/skinning.shtml)
 jp-30
01-19-2003, 8:22 PM
You like my tutorial, huh?

:D

If you need anything in that tutorial clarified, there are links to the thread where I first posted it linked at the end of each section.

It was written for the absolute beginner, and "holds your hand" right the way through...
 Classic Luke
01-20-2003, 2:15 PM
I read that tutorial and it helped me the most out of the numerous tutorials I've read. Layering certainly makes a world of difference, however, I am unclear as to the 'ramp up and ramp down' parts of paint shop pro. Any added explanation would be appreciated greatly. Thank-you for your time. :)
 jp-30
01-20-2003, 3:25 PM
I've never used the ramp up / down features in PSP, to be honest.

What it does though, is allows a layer's transparency to not be uniform over the whole layer, but to depend on certain values - ie colour or brightness.

Say you had an image of a sleeve, and also a red-green checkerboard image on a new layer above it, you can use ramping to make just the green component of the top layer transparent, while leaving the red parts opaque.

Or you can set the green transparency level to a different see-throughness ;) value to the red.

ie - you're ramping up (or down) the transparency of certain pixels depending on different parameters (colour / brightness etc...)
 Classic Luke
01-24-2003, 2:33 AM
Thank-you much friend for your reply. The thing that really confused me was the arrows, one on top and one on the bottom, which are found on those ramp up/down adjustments. :)
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 11:58 AM
I Keep getting an error about not have a _humanoid mesh or something when i try to open Prisoner in Mod View =/
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Or any others =/ Can anyone help me with that?
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 4:03 PM
From this tutorial; http://www.jediknightii.net/edit_mpskins.shtml)

Extract the _humanoid.gla and animation.cfg following the same instructions as above (extract into the GameData/base folder and the files should appear in the directory: GameData/base/models/players/_humanoid - remember to have “use folder names” checked when you extract).

Do you have a GameData/base/models/players/_humanoid directory? If so, what's inside it?

If that doesn't work, there are a few other things to try.

Maybe you haven't properly extracted the assets from the assets0.pk3 file.

Either you didn't extract all the files, or didn't re-create the directory structure properly.

Oh, if I recall correctly there is an issue with the path length of the filenames in certain circumstances. If the first sugestion didn't work, let me know, and we can try a few other things.
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 6:26 PM
:| Let me go try all that lol.
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 6:31 PM
I have the feeling once you make a directory

GameData/base/models/players/_humanoid

and extract the relevant files from assets0.pk3 into it, everything will work fine.

:)
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 6:50 PM
So I have to make a new directory folder in my blah blkah blah folder lol and put in the files in the humanoid thing
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 6:59 PM
Um There's already a Humanoid folder in the players folder so should i just reextract everything?
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 7:12 PM
Bah im not smart enough for this lol
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 7:24 PM
What files are in your \_humanoid\ subdirectory?

Also, what is the full path of your \models\players\ subdirectory?

ie.

C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\Jedi Knight ii Jedi Outcast\base\models\players\

Something like that?
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 7:42 PM
umm hmmmmm let me see if i can find them.
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 8:15 PM
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\players

Humanoid files are:_Humanoid.gla and Animation.cfg
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 8:16 PM
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\players

Humanoid files are:_Humanoid.gla and Animation.cfg
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 8:26 PM
Hmm. All looks to be in order.

You've got me beat.

What's your exact error message Modview is giving you? It happens on ALL the models you're trying to examine right?

// confused //

EDIT: I'm away from my home PC at the moment, but I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a further \models\ subdir in there somewhere. But even still, I dunno who Modview would be so picky about the directory structure...??
 Some 1 guy
02-02-2003, 9:12 PM
I used jp-30's tutorial a week ago, and it really helped me. Here are all of the skins I made, thnx to jp-30's tutorial: http://www.geocities.com/donkeydude84/)
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 9:18 PM
LOL.

Your "Jedi Pilot" bears more than a passing resemblance to the "New Republic Pilot" that I used as the example throughout the tutorial!

:D

Nice work...
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 9:25 PM
R_LoadMDXM: missing animation file models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid for mesh model.glm is what it says
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 9:33 PM
Hmm. As I thought a little earlier.

Modview is looking for a file in;

models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid

But according to you, you extracted everything to

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\players\

No \models\ subdirectory.

What you need to do is make a new folder off

\gamedata\base\ called \models\

then copy or drag your \players\ directory into your new

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\models\

directory.

So you will hen have a tree that looks like this;

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\models\players\

and in that \players\ directory will be \_humanoid\ , \prisoner\ , \luke\ , \jan\ etc...

Fingers crossed that this works!
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 9:41 PM
Holy Jesus that is alot of stuff :eek:
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 9:45 PM
Do you have MSN or soemthing Forums keeps non loading on me if you do add CE_JediSith@msn.com to ur thing
 jp-30
02-02-2003, 9:47 PM
No it's not!

It's making a new directory, and copying an existing directory into it.

How hard can that be? :p

Anyway, very first section of the tutorial clearly says to make the \models\ subdirectory.

http://www.theforce.net/games/jo/skinning_1.shtml)

Make a subdirectory off C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\ called models C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\models

Launch your UNZIPPING program. I suggest using pakscape, as you'll need to be familiar with this program later when you complile your skin.

Click "open" (in the file menu, or the open folder icon)

Click through your directory structure until you get to this directory; C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\
Find the file

assets0.pk3
(etc...)
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 9:48 PM
so is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\models\players\_humanoid correct? the humanoid thing is emtpy though lol
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 10:02 PM
YAY It worked thanks alot dude i owe you big time for all your help :D You are the 0wner of uber 0wnage lol thank you so much :D
 Some 1 guy
02-03-2003, 2:29 PM
It's supposed to jp. I made it while reading your tutorial. I had no idea so I made that. The other skins I made though were requests by friends.
 __CKY__
02-04-2003, 6:37 PM
May I ask when week 5 is coming out :D
 __CKY__
02-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Is it possible to put a pic of perosns face on a Skin i get off the internet? Cause I wanna make Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir and i found a awesome pic of his face but i dont knwo if its possible to put it on my skin.
 jp-30
02-06-2003, 8:24 PM
> May I ask when week 5 is coming out

I've finished the tutorial. Week 5 has been up for a month or so. Maybe you have a caching issue.

Anyway, here's a direct link.

http://www.theforce.net/games/jo/skinning_5.shtml)

As for photos, yeah, piece of cake. Just paste them on a new layer over the existing face image, and stretch the photo so the eyes and nose & mouth line up.

In reality it's never that easy, due to shadows on the photo, crooked angles etc, and you have to blend the photo edges into the face below & match colours... but you can get a pretty good likeness with a little trial and error.
Page: 1 of 1