Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Invader Zim

Page: 1 of 2
 Altimira
12-05-2002, 9:14 PM
Well, i wasnt going to start on this until the week end, but thanks to a good old snow day(s), i got bored of shoveling the drive way and started on Zim. heres the pics from gmax

http://mattsworld.bravepages.com/WIP/wip.html)

tell me what you think... Also Duncan, can you get him in game? when he is finished of course.
 El Sitherino
12-05-2002, 9:24 PM
sweet. remember if you need sounds im always here for ya.
 Psynex
12-06-2002, 9:09 AM
nice start. I'd like to see a sculpted mouth on this one; show some teeth and such. You could make 2 curved planes map a texture and then use shaders to show some teeth. He looks pretty low poly so far so you should be able to splurge in the mouth area anyway.
 Altimira
12-06-2002, 9:31 AM
im planning on redoing the head, its to sharp. I do like the body though, just needs a little tweeking. As for the mouth, I dont know, im really new to modeling and dont know how to do that...yet.
 Altimira
12-06-2002, 10:47 AM
 Morthvargr
12-06-2002, 4:26 PM
Looks cool! Any plans for other Vasquez characters, like Johnny the Homocidal Maniac?
 Altimira
12-06-2002, 5:33 PM
I havent seen any other Vasquez shows, i just happened to be channel surfing one day and came across zim. ill have to check that out. Im planning on doing the tallest, then dog suit gir next. here is the latest update, i got rid of the other pics, now there is just the first and the latest update. for the ctf colors, im going to have the blue be human zim, and have the red be Irken zim with the evil (squinty) eyes, and the normal one to be irken zim with round eyes (as deselectable surfaces of coarse). I dont think im going to model the mouth, just skin it.

Sam
12-06-2002, 10:14 PM
Very nice job, your making my favorite characters from the show. You should get ito mapping so you can make his house.
 Kain
12-06-2002, 11:50 PM
you should give him his fangy evil grin
 Altimira
12-07-2002, 10:57 AM
im planning not to modeling his mouth, just skin it. but the CTF skins will have different mouths. such as the red will have evil mouth, and the blue will have a normal mouth, and the normal skin will have some other mouth.

Bout the mapping, :). i have been a half life mapper for a couple years (im not that good tho). When JKRadiant came out, i tried to use it, and had a little success. but with careful planning and watching the movie over and over again, i started to work on Isengard (LOTR). Its still in the making, but on hold. So when i get a faster computer (cause my comp cant take all the detail i put into it), im going to try to finish that after im done modeling a coup0le more zim characters. After thats done i might try his house :p

well anyways, any more comments/ suggestions?
 Altimira
12-08-2002, 3:23 PM
How do you get the UVWs of different objects to be on one UVW map. such as his torso, legs, arms onto one UVW so i can start on a skin for him?
 Klorel
12-09-2002, 10:26 AM
OOOOO Zims base, that would be really cool. You could also do the school and use the underground lair for the Lice queen... that would be cool too.

Also, i've seen his Isengard... Its amazing.

As for zim: Since I'm gonna give skinning the head a try i'm taking a vote...
I'd like to do a realistic approach to his skin... something more organic- less cartoony, does anyone oppose this? I was also thinking maybe we could do 2 zims, cartoon zim, and real life zim, if anyone prefers this alternative thats fine too. I just think it would look really cool. Also, I want his eyes to glow in the dark, and i know that all you need is a shader to accomplish this... can anyone give me some pointers there cause i've never used a shader before... thanks.

-Klorel
 Psynex
12-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Altimira: This is what I do to map a model:

1st, make sure all sections are attached (so you have one object) and apply a checkered texture to the entire model.
2) Select a set of faces to start with, say an arm.
3) Apply a UVW Map modifier (tweaking the Gizmo to fit the selection)
4) Apply a UVW Unwrap Modifier and hit the edit button.
5) Move the vertexes around to iron out the distortion in the checkered pattern
6) Once you have the distortion removed, select all the uvs and drag that part of the mapped mesh off of the stage are somewhere (be aware of where you place the different sections so in the final step you won't have any overlapping coordinates).
7) Right click the mesh in a viewport window and convert it to an editable mesh (this locks in the UVs so you can move on to other sections)
8) Repeat steps 2 through 7 until the entire mesh is mapped (take your time to decide how many sections you should use; don't forget some areas, like arms, can have the same mapping coordinates)
9) Once the model is completely mapped and colapsed to an editable mesh, apply one final UVW Unwrap Modifier and hit the edit button.
10) Zoom out a bit and you should see all of your mapped sections scattered around the stage.
11) Scale (Uniformly) and move these sections into the stage area into for a nicely arranged texture map.

You can then collapse the stack (convert to editable mesh) if you desire, but it doesn't matter.
 Duncan_10158
12-09-2002, 1:49 PM
cool model!

it shouldnt be a problem to bring it in game for you.

on your pics there has zim something around his neck, is that just a shape or a objekt. cause shaps are in JKII always invisible on one side. so if, its would be better to make a 3d objekt out of it.
 Altimira
12-09-2002, 7:08 PM
ok, ill be fixing up my model duncan, thanks. but I have some questions. you said somthing about a waste of polygons inside the model, how do would I fix that? I believe I have the same problem with Zim. Also, in making the head, I mirrored the side of the head to the other (same with the arms and legs), you said that would be a bad thing eventually. could I just Xform the whole head (if so, after I hit the Xform button, then what), or just that separate part? and would i have to re-UVW it?

Also in your email, you said about naming the parts of him. an example would be his arm would be r_arm, and his hand would be r_hand?

Here are the latest, and dotn worry, i just hid the eyesand antenae for better view.

Duncan_10158
12-10-2002, 2:39 PM
the faces inside the model are a wast of resorces cause JKII calkulats them, but they are never visible. i dont konw how they are pruduced, it depends on how you make the head. lets say you make one half of the head like an in the middle cut aple. then you make a mirrored copy on the other side. but the cutplain is still there, it is gone be inside. you have to delete this faces befor you attach the two objekts. then you still have to collaps all the verts that are lieing on echother on the "cut-equator".

to check if all faces there is a modifier <STL check> that shows you where are double faces or spikes. take a look.

xform works for one objekt, you have to us it for every separatly. klick on xform and select the objekt that should be xformed.

every objekt is named that method, of corse r_hand is the right hand, l_arm is the left arm and so on. a nose in the face would be head_nose, some special cloth on the left arm woud be l_arm_cloth.
 Altimira
12-10-2002, 6:08 PM
ok, cool. i will have some renaming to do then. where do i find the
STL check modifier?
 Duncan_10158
12-11-2002, 5:16 PM
STL check is a modifier in the modify cathegory on the right side in the modifier list rollout. you need to have the objekt selekted to aply this checker.
 Kranckor
12-11-2002, 6:51 PM
Excellent :D
 Altimira
12-12-2002, 8:05 PM
i cant find that modifyer, it must not be in g-max:confused:. oh well, maybe you could fix that, or tell me whats wrong with it.

heres a slap on skin for ya.

Psynex
12-13-2002, 1:39 PM
Hmmm....Skin needs some tweaking. I'd avoid any noise on his head. Just stick with a plain flat color because cartoon shading can take care of the rest. Those eyes look to be extremely heavy in polygon size. You could tone them down by making them GeoSpheres and using the Octa option button in the parameters. One final thing that I know you'll hate....he needs a mouth. Don't be affraid in your modelling abilities, you can do it. There isn't much to it really, just divide and turn some edges to make an outline shap of his mouth, then select those faces and bevel them in and your off and running. From there it's just a matter of tweaking verts into a sinister smile. :)
 Klorel
12-13-2002, 3:10 PM
Nah, mouth can be skinned on, that would be more flexible, and then you could use a shader for it not to accept any light (just be jet black all the time) that would work just fine, plus you could easily do different mouths instead of being confined to just one. As far as noise goes, dont worry about that, its just gmax, it will look cool when finished, (thats the realistic skin, not the cartoon version).
-Klorel
 Altimira
12-14-2002, 4:22 PM
since he was low polly to begin with, i decided to make his eyes more rounder and fuller. and he is still has a very low poly count.

1144 poly
 Altimira
12-14-2002, 5:59 PM
I just sent you the gmax file Duncan, i hope there arent any problems getting it in-game
 El Sitherino
12-14-2002, 8:04 PM
hey alt have you gotten any sounds for zim. if not i can get you some. also id be willing to beta zim just as i did gir.
 Altimira
12-15-2002, 3:12 PM
sure, id love some sounds, send them here

Thrakus@cox.net
 El Sitherino
12-15-2002, 5:49 PM
im just gonna put the sounds up on my page here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JOFaF/files/)
 Altimira
12-16-2002, 8:12 PM
It just plays the sounds, it doesnt save them. What do you guys think the taunt(s) should be? i was thinking ''But invaders blood marches through my veins like Giant Radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! do not ignore my veins''. Also ''Awww my squeegly spooch'' for him getting hit or killed.
 Klorel
12-16-2002, 11:20 PM
those sound good to me. Also the "random you hit me" sound should be "I AM ZIMMMMM!" and when he kills someone: "I feel good about how today went"
Other taunts could be:

GO HERE for ZIIIIIM!: http://www.siberkat.com/zimwavs1.html)
here were the titles of some good sounds to use from this page:

taunt: Zim sure likes jiggles
something: Zim identifies himself
something: Zim knows you are guilty
something: Zim demands quiet!
FALLING: Zim blames the snacks
something: Zim wants help from Officer Squidly
something: Zim wants you to appreciate it
taunt: Zim will now begin to win
taunt: Zim wants you to "meet doom".
Getting Choked: Let Zim go, or "Wrath!"

and go here to request others like "i feel good about how today went"
Also good for GIR 2.0: http://www.siberkat.com/girarch.html)

-Klorel
 El Sitherino
12-17-2002, 7:57 AM
right click on them to save them.
 Altimira
12-19-2002, 8:15 PM
Alright, Duncan got him ingame and looks really good. it needs a little touching up on my part. I have noticed some things are out of place, but i t shouldnt be a problem. Its going to have to wait til Duncan gets back from vacation (i think he will be gone a week or so)

the only problem is that i cant get a skin onto him. i have tried and tried and i just cant get it to show up ingame, but it works in modview. i dont understand. If anyone wants to fix this for me (i have spent hours on it) il be happy to email you zim.
 El Sitherino
12-19-2002, 8:45 PM
i could try.
 Duncan_10158
12-20-2002, 7:19 AM
a last look befor i leave,
the problem with the non visible skins could cause in wrong size. skins need to have a size wich is a potential of 2. 32x32, 64x128, 256x512, 1024x1024 and all combinations like that. in modview you can see the skins also not following this rule. and the jpg file needs to be exported as base.

i hope thats it. i will see in a week :)
 Altimira
12-20-2002, 6:21 PM
Oh ok, I just sorta cropped in photoshop, I'll change that.
 Altimira
12-21-2002, 8:26 PM
Alright, i got the skin working fine and all, but now the sounds arent working correctly. I asked drjimmy to help but he wasnt succesful:

"Hmmm... sorry to disappoint, but I can't get it to work either. No idea why. The pk3 structure is correct, and I even tried converting the .wavs into the standard jkii mp3 format... no dice. It's a long shot but is it possible that the problems getting the skin to be visible could somehow be affecting this? I hope this gets figured out..." email by drjimmy

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be. If you know how to fix this, give me your email and ill send him to you.

Also if anyone knows how to make the model autoscale in game that would be great to know cause i've had some comlaints about gir not being small all the time... how did yoda, and the jawas do it?
 El Sitherino
12-21-2002, 10:13 PM
you sure you make it the right directories if so did you check the sounds.cfg to make sure it matches up. i had that problem before. oh also maybe you packed it up as a pak/pk3 in pakscape if so set it to just .pk3. hope that helps if not send me the stuff and ill see what i can do.
 Altimira
12-22-2002, 9:12 PM
Ill send it to you, but I need your email.
 Psynex
12-22-2002, 11:52 PM
Altimira - I posted a suggestion for the autoscale in your Gir thread which is still somewhat alive. You should keep checking back there or close it so people will only post in your "current" thread.
 Psyk0Sith
12-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Just a thought, but if you change the bitrate of the file (like 64kbps instead of 128) you need to have a sample rate of 44khz.

When checking the console you'll see an error message, i doubt that's your problem, but make sure they are 44khz.

A wrong path could also cause problems obviously.

sorry for wasting your time....;)

/me crawls back into the shadows.
 El Sitherino
12-28-2002, 11:32 AM
SirFobos2021@yahoo.com
 Altimira
01-03-2003, 6:06 AM
i cant send them to you, its too big. i have also tried putting it on my website, but that doesnt work either. its 2 megs, if anyone who has an email that can recieve that large of a file please fix this!
 El Sitherino
01-03-2003, 7:54 AM
i can get it on my aol account. here...no spam please (J798@aol.com)
 Altimira
01-03-2003, 10:25 AM
nevermind, i sent you zim in 5 peices
 El Sitherino
01-03-2003, 11:35 AM
ok thanks alt you da man.
 Altimira
01-19-2003, 9:56 AM
any luck on zim sounds?
 El Sitherino
01-19-2003, 6:52 PM
i cant get them to work.
 __CKY__
01-21-2003, 2:26 AM
:eek: This is so awesome Invader Zim 0wns it all lol Ohhh Can't wait for this model lol :D Anymore updates?
 El Sitherino
01-21-2003, 2:54 AM
im still tryna figure out why the sounds arent working.
 __CKY__
01-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I'mnot any help in that area but I would be honored to help beta test it for the love of ZIm :)
 __CKY__
01-28-2003, 6:48 PM
Any news? lol I really want this Zim :D
Page: 1 of 2