Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gir almost done!

Page: 1 of 1
 Hellfire Jedi
12-02-2002, 7:22 AM
But some small fine tuning i do see in the tckmodel.cfg u can add things &";gir";& 0.4 0
I think thats it also i made a pk3 with pakscape but it doesnt work in-game some help here wold be hot too ;) thnx in advance
 Psynex
12-02-2002, 10:38 AM
pk3 help eh?

Pakscape...I use that so let's see if I can help you out. You start a new pk3 file. Create these folders: botfiles, models, scripts, shaders, and sound. Under models make a folder called players. Under sound make a folder called chars. Under chars make a folder callder Gir. Even easier would be to open up a downloaded modle pk3, save it as a different name relating to your model and just empty the contets of all the folders.

In the players folder you need folder called something like Gir. Place the following files in the Gir folder: model.glm, model_default.skin, sounds.cfg, all skin textures, and the icon file. You should follow the same steps for ctf red and blue making folders gir_red and gir_blue putting the model.glm and textures in their respective folders with a respective skin file (model_blue.skin or model_red.skin) and the respective icons. For any additional skin variants a different folder will need to be created; for example, if I made a skin for gir, call the folder psynex_gir.

As far as sounds go, just plop them all in the /sound/chars/Gir folder.

Get the picture? <--I'm not the best at explaining things.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-02-2002, 3:16 PM
All this is done i took all the files added them to zip then i did save as pk3 format it made a pk3 then i seed it if would work it didnt :(
 Psynex
12-03-2002, 2:37 AM
are you sure it saved a a PK3 and not something else? Also, I think pakscape has different types of PK3s; make sure it's quake 3 type.
 Kranckor
12-03-2002, 7:26 PM
Great! Oh, and Hellfire don't ever steal one of my ideas for a sig again :|
 Hellfire Jedi
12-03-2002, 7:48 PM
Right u use it then i wont otherwise i will use it why dont u use it and put ur name on it instead on complaining :) any wayz
Psynex it worked thanks man now i need help scaling it to .4 any help on that would be kick ass
 Psynex
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Ok, scaling is in a textfile in the "mod" folder. What do I mean by that? I use(d) jedimod and in the jedimod folder is a file called tckmodel.cfg. There is a list of characters names in quotes followed by 2 numbers. The first number is height, but I'm not sure what the second number is because I never messed with it. I only had to rescale a yoda model so I just copied and renamed. So you would add something like this:

"Gir" 0.4 0

On a side note, since there are probably other mods that use scaling, you should just put what the scale needs to be in the mod of users choice and leave it up to them to edit their scale file. I had to do it for the yoda model. I'm unsure of anyone including a scale file in their pk3.

PS - I need to know the minute this model is ready because I want it!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-04-2002, 6:29 AM
I will have to upload it to my site later on check
www.geocities.com/mikeman02341/help)
 Hellfire Jedi
12-04-2002, 7:16 AM
If you want the Gir model with CTF and custom sounds tell me now *NOTE*:ITS NOT SCALED I CANNOT GET IT TO WORK
 Hellfire Jedi
12-04-2002, 3:17 PM
Psynex whats ur email i will send u gir to scale him right then if it WORKS send it back with the tckmodel.cfg inside the pk3 for gir ok?
 Altimira
12-04-2002, 3:55 PM
all you have to do is put this line in the tckmodels file

"Gir" 0.4 0.62

or

"Gir" 0.3 0.62

thats it... not much to it, i just learned that yesterday:)

i sent off Gir to jediknightii.net yesterday, and i have in the readme how to scale him in jedimod

Also, Duncan_10158 i sent you a PM
 Psynex
12-04-2002, 7:39 PM
so he's done then? I doubt JK2.net will post it anytime soon. Best to send a copy to jk2files.com. That way I can download it later.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-04-2002, 7:47 PM
That one i don't think is scaled properly but mine will be with different sounds... and i think different CTF
 Altimira
12-04-2002, 8:29 PM
i guess ill send it to jk2files then too :p
 Psynex
12-05-2002, 8:03 PM
Hmmm....no Gir. So much for either jk2 file site. Polycount? They've been having a good number of jk2 file uploads lately.
 Altimira
12-05-2002, 10:25 PM
i jsut tried polycount, but my email just isnt sending, it says it lost connection with the server or somthing. your just going to have to wait for jk2files or jediknighii.net
 Kain
12-05-2002, 10:34 PM
if u update him later, u should make him sing the DOOM song! AND WITH HIS DOG COSTUME!!...gir is cool
 Altimira
12-05-2002, 11:17 PM
he does sing the doom song:p
 Kain
12-06-2002, 11:52 PM
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom
 Gonkish
12-08-2002, 4:08 AM
 El Sitherino
12-08-2002, 5:47 PM
OH i just had an idea. we could ask dark reaper to make a gir mod for his desktop stormtrooper. heh. GIR REPORTING MASTER.
 Altimira
12-10-2002, 9:21 PM
ok, just checked poly count and gir is in the model queue

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/model-list.htm)
 Sam
12-11-2002, 12:59 AM
Ok I have two questions.

1.I can't find a readme on how to scale in the file download thing so how do I set it up for him to be his normal size in jedimod

2.The multiple taunts are cool but is there a way to bind differnt keys to differnt taunts.
 Altimira
12-11-2002, 10:37 AM
the read me was in the .zip file, not the .pk3 file. and as Klorel has suggested, make him .3 not .4 when you scale him. im not to expirenced in jedimod so i dont know if you can bind certain fonts
 Psynex
12-11-2002, 3:44 PM
Can't wait for Zim now. 2 Suggestions, more polys in the knees and maybe also the elbows (didn't look at the elbows). He's a pretty low-poly character (should be anyway) and adding more polys to the knees for better deformation would only help him. Second suggestion, shader work. Some cartoon lighting (aka-two tone lighting) and glowing eyes would look cool.

Hmmm....I don't have work tonight because of weather...maybe I'll play around with the shader.
 Kranckor
12-11-2002, 6:55 PM
Could you please make him autoscale in the next version :(
 Altimira
12-12-2002, 7:03 PM
if i knew how:(
 Klorel
12-12-2002, 8:00 PM
Yeah, how would you autoscale him in jedimod? Gir is small when I start my own servers, but when I use him on other jedimod servers he's still big, which makes the model unusable cause his head is SO big. WHYYYY is his head so big?

Also I think a shader would be a great idea, like make the eyes glow in the dark and stuff like that... sweeeet. I know Altimira doesn't know much about shaders, but someone who does should definitelly lend him a hand there, cause I think it would be cool if zims red eyes glowed in the dark too. Also, for my realistic version and cartoon version it would be cool to try different shaders on his head since it is a rather low poly model.

-Klorel
 Skellington
12-12-2002, 10:05 PM
The mesh looks good...it'll tide me over until I can get my hands on a copy of Most Horrible Christmas Ever :) One thing though, is it just the pictures, or is he more of a general SIR unit with the green eyes and belly. GIR's more of a light blue as I recall.
 Kranckor
12-12-2002, 11:55 PM
I have that episode.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-13-2002, 6:45 AM
Skellington that model in your avatar did u make that model and is it for jk2 or did someone else make it?

Hellfire
Sorry for off topic
 Psynex
12-13-2002, 9:03 AM
That must be the photos because the Gir model is not at all a Sir. I just watched the first 2 episodes 2 nights ago and the Sir model has some readily identifiable differences, like a bevel ground into his head where his eyes rest.

As for shaders, I messed with one that day as well and made his eyes "glow" in the dark. I slapped on a quick cartoon shader that needs some tweaking. It all looks ok, but the glow effect isn't as good as it could be; the color looks too flat. It didn't have that nice soft edge glow.
 Klorel
12-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Psynex
That must be the photos because the Gir model is not at all a Sir. I just watched the first 2 episodes 2 nights ago and the Sir model has some readily identifiable differences, like a bevel ground into his head where his eyes rest.

As for shaders, I messed with one that day as well and made his eyes "glow" in the dark. I slapped on a quick cartoon shader that needs some tweaking. It all looks ok, but the glow effect isn't as good as it could be; the color looks too flat. It didn't have that nice soft edge glow.

yeah, GIR and SIR look almost completely different, check out 'Tak the Hideous New Girl'. Thier only similarities are really thier size and round eyes. As far as the shader goes, can you post some pics of what you have Psynex? I'm curious as to what it looks like thus far. And gir is bluer in some pictures and greener in others, I think Altimiras model is kind of a turquise, which is the happy medium.

-Klorel
 Psynex
12-14-2002, 12:35 AM
pics? Sure thing:
Gir 1 (http://psynex-land.com/images/gir1.jpg)
Gir 2 (http://psynex-land.com/images/gir2.jpg)
Gir 3 (http://psynex-land.com/images/gir3.jpg)

See the eyes are flat, but very bright. The cartoon shader isn't very noticeable at first glance so I'll point it out. In the shot of gir standing (not in the dark) there's a crescent shaped shadow at the bottom of his belly, on the shot of him crouching, the shadow has moved up onto his chest area. There are some other differences on the legs too. The arms are too small to see the effect in game, and it doesn't work on his head too well for some reason; it may need it's own skin file. The cartoon shader would be more visible if I darkened the grey in the map I added to it.
 Klorel
12-14-2002, 9:46 AM
Sweeeeet. I see the shader on the leg. You said you needed to darken it up a bit, so play with that I guess. As for the eyes, they seem really blue now, is that the shader? It would look best if his eyes matched the turqoise on his stomach, and then when he walked into shadow thats when the eyes stayed bright. But I can see the effects of the cartoon shader, not bad, but I think his body is small enought that if you don't get the cartoon effect working good on his head then maybe it would just be more of a hastle for people with slower computers, but I liked the leg shadow in the last picture... very cool.

-Klorel
 Altimira
12-14-2002, 12:51 PM
i like the shadders Psynex, looks awsome. i think ill make a gir 2.0 or somthing like that with a revised skin. and also a auto scaler thingy for him. how do you make a auto scaler?
 Psynex
12-17-2002, 3:41 PM
an update wouldn't be a bad thing. You could incorporate a couple of things like cartoon shading, a custom saber hilt, "auto-scaler", and maybe edit GIR into a SIR for the red team. You wouldn't have to do any rigging if you don't move the model at all; the GIR skeleton is already in place provided you didn't throw out the source files.

I think one way to make GIR scale himself would be to just get him working on your PC then copy your cfg file into the appropriate directory or directories. Say add a Jedimod folder to you PAK base folder and toss the cfg copy into there. It would mostly depend on what mods are played most. You could end up creating folders for ever mod out there. I wouldn't put in more work for a few mods that don't get played as much.
 Kain
12-19-2002, 10:29 PM
looking good so far. but MAKE THE DOG DISGUISE!! C'MON!! LETS SEE SOME ZIPPER!!! DOG DISGUISE!!! DOG DISGUISE!!! DOG DISGUISE!!! DOG DISGUISE!!! WHO'S WITH ME!!!
 Sam
12-19-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Psynex
an update wouldn't be a bad thing.

My thoughts exactly.
 Kain
01-06-2003, 1:05 AM
dog disguise
 Klorel
01-06-2003, 11:05 AM
MydnightPsion, lets just say that you have nothing to worry about ;)

on a side note, here are some online petitions to save invader zim, send the link to other fans you know, I want my SHOW BACK!

http://www.gopetition.com/region/238/1281.html)

http://www.petitiononline.com/izlovers/petition.html)

Thats all I have to say for now...

-Klorel
 Altimira
01-09-2003, 3:43 PM
but Klorel, won't everbody go like this, KABLAM!

http://mattsworld.bravepages.com/WIP/wip.html)

little that way, good, good, no, a little back, good good. **BOOM**
 Kain
01-18-2003, 1:59 PM
so uh...when are we gonna get the dog disguise GIR released...DON'T SAY THE PROJECT IS DEAD!!! FOR THE LOVE OF WHAT*WHO*EVER YOU WORSHIP LET IT LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

On a side note...I signed those petitions already :D and again for good luck :D
 Klorel
01-18-2003, 5:47 PM
Well we haven't decided if we'll do a separate release or a group release. We have finished dog-suit gir, going to make Gir 2.0, are finishing up Zim, working on Dib, Gaz, Skooge, and are planning on making the Tallest. But putting a model in game is a lot of work, and at the moment it falls on Altimira because I'm doing 20 credits at college, and trying to finish up my Mace Windu model (one day... one day).

-Klorel
 Altimira
01-19-2003, 9:53 AM
I think we are going to go with the model pack idea. I have Dogsuit almost finished. dib well underway, and skoodge almost modeled, but like klorel said, it takes a lot of work to get a model in-game.
 Kain
04-30-2003, 11:27 PM
HAHAHA!! I REVIVE THIS THREAD!!! C'mon lets get some good news goin! Someone find the people working on this and get em back on the job!
 Psynex
05-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Is it worth kicking a dead horse? I mean, the last post Alt made was waaaaay back in January! I don't think he's going to touch this one again.
 Kain
05-02-2003, 1:40 PM
SO!! He might come back...WE NEED GIR!!
Page: 1 of 1