Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP : Orc (LOTR)

Page: 1 of 3
 Chairwalker
11-25-2002, 8:41 PM
Some of you may remember a little (dead) thread on the modeling forum about my Sauron WIP.
Im still working on it, in fact its about 60% done.

But, as you have noticed, this thread isnt about Sauron.
Its about the orc (another LOTR model, jeez i must be a geek :) )

Im currently working on the Mordor orc (the one you will be seeing alot in the two towers)
But im planning to include some Moria orc skins as well.

About the skins, the model will have alot of them.
No orc looks the same, and its an aspect i really like about orc's.

Oh, i almost forgot posting the image :D

http://www.geocities.com/quakersnl/orcbla.txt)

This is the "scarred, pierced and barely wearing anything"
variety of the mordor orc.

As you see, his boots were stolen (along with his feet lol)
But i'll be sure to add some so he can survive those cold and lonely nights.
 DapperDanMan
11-25-2002, 8:55 PM
:drop2: Pure excellence!! Awesome work, Can't wait for it. When do you plan for releasing?
 SettingShadow
11-26-2002, 4:25 AM
Was there any green orcs? Anyway looks good. I just wich the movies would have followed the book and made the orcs black as they really are :mad: I think they changed to much from the book.
 Hellfire Jedi
11-26-2002, 7:28 AM
When u plan on releasing Sauron?
Looks good needs some er feet :D
 Chairwalker
11-26-2002, 7:36 AM
Squater, some orcs were very darkish green, others were completely gray...i plan to include alot of the diffrenet color's.

As for a release date, i really cant tell.
I still have alot of modeling to do, then theres the skin's...
And lets not forget setting up all the stuff to get it to work in JO :)
So all i can say at this time is that it wont be released this week lol.
 Dark Warrior
11-26-2002, 6:08 PM
Wow!:)

Very nice job Chairwalker, looks amazing. Orcs are cool!:D

What program are you using?
 ninja
11-27-2002, 2:43 AM
looks very nice. can you make one with and without a helmet? but one covering his face?
 Chairwalker
11-27-2002, 5:32 AM
Yes, i was planning to add two helmets,
And found some pretty good ref picture's.
These two helmets will be added :
One for mordor :
http://www.enchantedkingdoms.com/images/LOTR%20Images/Orc_Trapjaw_Helmet.jpg)

And one for moria :
http://www.enchantedkingdoms.com/images/LOTR%20Images/S3%20Moria%20Orc%20Helm.jpg)
 Hellfire Jedi
11-27-2002, 6:37 AM
U useing 3d max?
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-27-2002, 7:31 AM
AWESOME work sweet model :thumbsup:
 Chairwalker
11-27-2002, 7:47 AM
Yes, i use 3dmax 4.2 to make this.
A friend of mine is doing the skins.
I think he's using photoshop and some skinmapping program.

Oh and im really glad you all like it :)
Thanks for the praises/whatever.
 Matt-Liell
11-27-2002, 1:10 PM
it seems u like LOTR models, could i ask u a favour? Ive been asking for a Leoglas model for months nobody has made it after like 3 threads of requests! ill skin it if u make it! could u please help me?
 ninja
11-27-2002, 1:39 PM
@ chairwalker, hey wow i have that same helmet in my picture files. the first pic. i like fantasy art and i'm into the armor thing. by the way, have you seen the old animated versions of the hobbit series. i think in that movie "return of the king" the dark rider looked pritty cool. the evil king looking guy with a corwn, with no face just red glowing eyes. maybe that would be a good future sugestion. or just look at alot of fantasy art.
 SettingShadow
11-27-2002, 2:01 PM
Make a black version or I wont d/l it :mad: , or maybe I will. But it would be cool with a black Orc, for those who dont know
J.R.R Tolkien described the Orcs black in the books.
 Chairwalker
11-27-2002, 4:44 PM
At Matt-Liell Arroblade,
I would love to make a legolas model but i dont like having to much projects all at once, since it causes most artists to lose interest alot quicker.
After i finish either sauron or the orc i will think about it.

At Ninja,
I saw the animated version of The fellowship of the ring
But thats about it.
If you could 'arange' some image's i'd like to have a look at them.

At Squater,
Yes, your right, im not pleased with this color as well.
I wanted it to be darkish grey with a pinch of green but it turned out alot greener in the renderer.
The moria orcs will be green though.
I always imagined them to be like they were in the recent movie.

I dont have anything new to show you all.
Well, i made some boots and a second facial skin.
But i wont upload a new shot untill i finish the mordor helmet.
 Matt-Liell
11-27-2002, 6:10 PM
Originally posted by Chairwalker
At Matt-Liell Arroblade,
I would love to make a legolas model but i dont like having to much projects all at once, since it causes most artists to lose interest alot quicker.
After i finish either sauron or the orc i will think about it.

thats all i ask! im not rushing u just simply asking a favour, thanks!:D
 Chairwalker
11-30-2002, 3:26 PM
There you go, 3 orcs :

http://www.geocities.com/quakersnl/3orcs.txt)

Still not happy with the color of the skin.
Im going to have a little talk with my skinner ;)

The helmet has been changed as well.
Instead of three "layers" on the front it has one.
This was done because the three layered version didnt look very good without going over the maximum amount of poly's.

Also, dont tell me the armor doesnt look like in the movies or any other art you've seen.
Im trying to create the orc the way i picture it.
Not create a replica of the movie version.
 Matt-Liell
11-30-2002, 3:39 PM
Nice!:D Keep it up! they look good except for the skin colour i agree!
 ninja
12-01-2002, 4:13 PM
looken good. you can also make him look meaner by adding two big fangs on his jaw. kinda going upward to his cheek bones. just a thought. cause he kinda looks like a kid orc. and wow it takes a freaking long time to not still be a bontha fodder.
 Chairwalker
12-03-2002, 12:21 AM
While im waiting for the moria skins im weighing the bones and working on the lods.

hopefully i will be able to release the model at the end of the week.

Btw, are there any good sounds for orcs ?
I tried recording some from the FOTR dvd but it had to much music etc on the background.
 ninja
12-03-2002, 1:17 AM
dude the cartoon version of the hobbit or the return of the king. hey they sound pritty good.
 MaaZeus
12-09-2002, 9:00 AM
I think that you should give them more muscles and stronger looking jaw. He looks so thin and weak, so it looks like more goblin than an orc. Anyway good model.
 The Truthful Liar
12-09-2002, 1:54 PM
Cool. :cool: These are only the small guys, where are the big fighting Uruk-Hai!? :)
 Araegon
12-09-2002, 9:00 PM
lol. dont worry about the Uruk-Hai, they'll get done too.

chairwalker: great work on the models, each one just makes our LOTR TC better and better.

Once the models start getting released, me and the other members of the TC will start finishing the weapon models and putting them ingame.
that way you could play as, say, an Uruk-Hai with the uruk-hai scemtar
 Pnut_Man
12-09-2002, 10:14 PM
Damnit Chair, didn't know you were this good...lol

Some very nice work in this thread; will be awaiting a beta version =)
 Chairwalker
12-19-2002, 5:37 PM
Ask an ye shall receive.

www.geocities.com/quakersnl/orc.zip)

There, a beta :)

It has no lods, so i wouldnt spawn to many as it would cause some serious lag (especially on low end pc's)

Also,he/it holds the saber a little bit tilted to the right.
And lets not forget the lack of Moria-orc skins, still working on those.

*edit :
It seems you need to copy the url into your clipboard instead of clicking on it.
Damn geocities.

Also, i forgot to mention some more details :
It has custom sounds but i think they still need some work.
It has 3 skins : Default, Mordora and Mordorb.
The icon is just a 80% blackened picture with "orc" written on it in red, dont worry ill fix it in the final release.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 5:49 PM
Dude
Ur site is overloaded i cant download it I NEED TO GET IT!! Please find another way for us to get it!!! Thanks Man!!

Hellfire
 Hekx
12-19-2002, 5:55 PM
The hips / butt area look a little too chubby and the feet seem too small. Good falling sound too :thumbsup:

If you need a mirror download; try here (http://www.hekxnoxu.idz.net/files/orc.zip).

- Edit -
To help show you what I mean about the model:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webb.home/stuff/Foot.jpg)
Looks a little too small.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webb.home/stuff/Hips.jpg)
The hips / lower body area looks a little too big; maybe shrink it down a little.

These are just my observations feel free to comment ;)
 Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 6:15 PM
Uhmm.......
Its good i think ;) but couple things
There are certain parts that clip into the body like the loincloth. Also how do i use the helmet version? I think i typed one wrong i got kyle's body and the orc helmet with kyles head under it ^_^.

Hellfire
 Hekx
12-19-2002, 6:30 PM
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi
Uhmm.......
Its good i think ;) but couple things
There are certain parts that clip into the body like the loincloth. Also how do i use the helmet version? I think i typed one wrong i got kyle's body and the orc helmet with kyles head under it ^_^.

Hellfire /model orc
/model orc/mordora
/model orc/mordorb
;)
 Chairwalker
12-19-2002, 6:42 PM
Thanks for the mirror Hиkx Nтxъ :D
And yes, i agree, the hips are to big.

"Looks a little too small. "
You mean the feet are to small ?
Or the armor thingy ? like how it goes into the leg.

All the clipping issue's will be fixed, once i get the time to do it.
 Hekx
12-19-2002, 6:51 PM
The foot looks a little too small.
Maybe make it a little larger in length.
Maybe if you want to add some toes; the only picture I can find as a reference shot looks like a collecter's model (http://landfantasy.free.fr/Figurines/Lotr/Moria%20Orc%20Archerpf.jpg) :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webb.home/stuff/foot2.jpgAdd) a little length maybe some toes ;)

I'm just watching the animated version of LOTR; the Orcs look like newspapers crossed with Tusken Raiders :lol:
 Chairwalker
12-19-2002, 7:10 PM
I used that as a ref-pic for the face/head.

I'll make em longer, adding toes wont be possible though, since he's wearing boots :p
 Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 7:55 PM
U gonna fix the saber error?

Hellfire
 Chairwalker
12-21-2002, 8:34 PM
Yes, ill fix it.

I think im going to work on Sauron before i work on the orc.
What do you guy's think ?
 Hellfire Jedi
12-21-2002, 9:13 PM
I want him bad more than the orc.....
 El Sitherino
12-21-2002, 10:17 PM
yeah that sounds good. i think ill make me own LOTR weapons pack ill make saurons mace. oh check out the will make weapon models to get a link to see my quick mockups of legolas' sword and the elvish battle sword.
 Hekx
12-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Maybe you should try and model Legolas' bow.
Hopefully someone will make a bow-and-arrow modification for the bryar pistol since there's already shurikans and stuff :D

I think Sauron would be a much better model to be released; but the choice is up to you ;)

Is there a LOTR: TC Team? If so, do they have a website?
 El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 1:23 AM
i was thinkin the bow replace the wookie crossbow and i could make a spear for the stun baton and like try to put the punch animation to be used when you hit attack and for bryar i was gonna do like little axes or something not sure i dont know but anyways yeah sauron would be better being finished first. but whatever you wanna do chairwalker. and i believe there is a LOTR TC team. dont know their site.
 SupremePain
12-22-2002, 10:11 AM
as far i can judge, the skin on the feet of the orc in game are to blurry, the colers look weird, now i dont know if its just the guy thats taken those pictures that has a bad video card
 SettingShadow
12-30-2002, 12:00 AM
I just downloaded it (heh), and I must say its great, sorry for complaining on the model before :o . Its really superb.....
 SupremePain
12-30-2002, 4:14 AM
:eek: is the model out already? by the way i forgot to mention before other then that feet skin it realy is looking totaly sweet as far i can judge
 Matt-Liell
12-30-2002, 5:14 AM
Release Sauron first id say, and legolas's bow would be my fav weapon if someone could make it! im still looking for a guy to make a legolas model for me to skin!
 Olo
01-07-2003, 3:31 PM
THen you'd put it with your moder, right?
 ninja
01-08-2003, 5:55 PM
wow i thought it was already finished i think the last time the modeler said he only needed to make some helmets or something.
 Chairwalker
01-08-2003, 6:05 PM
technically its finished, i just cant get it to export correctly with all the LODS.
 TrUnKs69
01-11-2003, 9:06 AM
Man all these LOTR Models and skins in proogress.I mean like legolas, Orcs, Gimli and there is also the swords which you can already download.Also the skins packs.With all this Lord of the rings stuff i reckon soon someone will make a Lord of the rings mod.Which Would Rock.
 Admiral_Ackbar8
01-12-2003, 5:39 PM
those pictures look great :D
keep up the good work!
 Legolas
01-19-2003, 6:56 AM
The model is very good
 ninja
01-21-2003, 2:12 AM
i sense we will be playing this bad-ass guy very very soon, cant wait. i'm just a sucker for fantasy stuff.
Page: 1 of 3