Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why did Dooku have lightning and Vader didn't?

Page: 2 of 2
 Ratmjedi
11-28-2002, 4:24 AM
Originally posted by Plo_Koon_27

like it was said before Vader's suit was a sealed unit like a nasa space suit, so when luke chopped off the hand the suit was no longer sealed. i like my theory on this subject.

:lsduel: :vadar:

I was the one that said that Vader suit was like a NASA suit. :p
:duel: :lsduel:
 lukeiamyourdad
11-28-2002, 7:41 PM
I think Luke could still use his hand because palpatine didn't use his 100% to make Luke suffer while he unleashed everything on Vader.
 leXX
11-28-2002, 8:25 PM
Something just occured to me. I always thought Palpatine had control over Vader because of the lightning. I know Vader respected him etc, but up until I saw the lightning, I wondered why Vader wasn't running the show. I know Ep2 has expained alot of that now so I'm not worried about that anymore. One thing is bothering me now, what does Palpatine have over Dooku that is stopping Dooku running the show?
 Ratmjedi
11-28-2002, 8:43 PM
Palpatine is the only Sith Lord at the time. He managed to go through many Padawan's and stay the Master. Dooku may of been a Master Jedi but compared to Palpatine Dooku was nothing. Palpatine had studied the Sith Holocron's and knew all about the powers. He could of easily of disposed of Dooku if he wanted to. The Palpatine in EP VI was very old so he couldn't really retaliate tha much. Palpatine in EP I and EP II was younger and could of been more of a threat.
:duel: :lsduel:
 Keiran Halcyon
12-02-2002, 3:31 PM
Well it seems that dooku only manages to control Force lighting with one hand. Sidious uses both :p

About the Mon Calamari thing, ok the name can be more or less EU, but possibly Lucas invented that one since i think that name should have rose arroud ROTJ release. Anyway could you think of a better name?! What is ackbar? A humanoid squid (well he also resembles a hammer shark) That name could also have fitted perfectly for the quarren, who are a humanoid body attacehd to a squid.
 Kain
12-02-2002, 6:45 PM
Obi Wan - He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

OBVIOUSLY his left hand is no longer flesh. That overload bs is just that, bs. In the old Star Wars RP (the d6 system), the Force powers available were by rank, and according to that *which is monitored by Lucas*, Palpatine was a Jedi Master, whereas Vader was a Jedi Knight. My point is, Lightning is a Master power, and Grip was padawan I believe. Unfortunantly, they quit publishing these d6 rule books before Episode 2 came, so Dooku's stats arent in it. But in this new bs system, a level 1 Jedi can use Lightning at anytime, same with grip
 boinga1
12-02-2002, 11:45 PM
I agree with the lightning supercharge idea here. Decompression is not an issue because the hand was a machine-if you expose a robot's hand to bad air or something, is it harmed? no. Second, Force Lightning is NOT like electric lightning. If so, wouldn't the Emperor's and Dooku's have been attracted to the METAL floor of their rooms, killing all in the room? Granted, enough force control could have let them prevent that, but after less than 10 years as a Sith, I don't think Dooku could have managed this. I think Vader just uses Grip over lightning because of the greater finesse, and also he is able to gain the respect of say, crewers, rather than turning a guy to ashes and frightning the crew to death, Vader can have a body as a clear sign of his power in a way that is frightnign but not terrifying.
 JediNyt
12-03-2002, 4:00 AM
I think this discussion is long finished. FYI.
 BobaJango
12-12-2002, 1:58 AM
I have but one statement:

Vader is more machine than man. Force lightning has at least 1,000 volts of electricity. Imagine the effect it would have on a life support system.

2 words:
Power surge.

:fett: :jango:
 Andy867
12-12-2002, 2:22 AM
That only applies BobaJango if you are referring to terms of lightning that we know of, which is electric, not some "FORCE" driven power. So by the Star Wars standards, Force Lightning could simply be 120v, or 5000 of OUR volts. But since it isnt of our natural lightning, we cannot assess that it is 1,000 volts or of ANY Voltage.
 Naphtali
12-12-2002, 8:10 PM
I think of grip in the same class as persuassion, that it can't be used agains't others who are significantly strong with the force, because you manipulating the person themselve.

Iv'e never heard anythiong official on these things, just your guys theorys often based off the EU stuff, and others interpretations.
Vadar it's stated that he was struck in the heart by the lightning.
Whats more for the people that ridiculously say his helmet tooken off killed him should listen harder. Vadar says nothing can stop that now after look stated it.
THats suggest the emperor gave him a killing blow.
As brought in the OFFICIAL STARS WARS AOTC visual dictionary Dooku as a jedi master had access and studided some of the forbidden holocrons like the sity holocron.

Also if you have the book look at page 49, ( I dont have a scanner) it stated after he left the order he no longer had access to the sith holocron so he studies holographic cells containing mystic teaching of shadowy power which was given to him by sidious.

Force lightning cause excruitiating pain and weakens life it also says impossible to deflect, however we saw differen't.

Anyway thats enough freebe, you'll just have to but the official book.
 BobaJango
12-13-2002, 1:29 AM
All right, then why did we see smoke rising from the singed body of Anakin Skywalker after Dooku used "Force lightning" on him?

Andy867
12-13-2002, 2:17 AM
the heat alone, even if not natural lightning alone would be enough to begin to smoke the body and fabric of his Padawan gear. Its simple natural understanding of bioelectricl chemistry and the forces of the universe. Nothing to extreme, like deciphering the language of Drive-Thru ;)
 BobaJango
12-13-2002, 2:48 AM
So it's possible that vader would have (if he used lightning) melted his circuits inside his hand. We all know metal is a conductor of electricity, so wouldn't it have melted his circuits in the process? Just a wild guess.:)

Frizbee
12-13-2002, 3:44 AM
Also, have you considered their methods might be due to the reasons for their force choice.

For example. Dooku wanted to take out his opponents. Thus, lightning was a quick effective way. *ZAP* Strike 1 opponent.

Palpatine wanted to torture Luke, hence, lightning would cause him extreme pain (go and electricute yourself, see what I mean)

Vader on the other hand, wanted to make people fear him, as we can see when the Officer gulps in Episode 6?? when he is promoted by Vader after his senior officer is killed.

Its a scare tactic, both for the person who he chokes (ie. in Episode 4 on the Death Star) and for those who witness it. (Every other use.)
 BobaJango
12-13-2002, 3:49 AM
Good analysis, but dont you mean Episode 5? (Vader "choked" Admiral Ozzle and replaced him with Piett.)

Wьstenfuchs
12-13-2002, 1:08 PM
You are being too straight-minded. The force is such an open energy...millions of possibilities can be broken by the Jedi. Millions of things can be done, million of powers can be used. You know, it's not a matter of I-chose-this-and-you-chose-that or I-can-only-use-grip. It's a manipulation. It's the force, after all. So, Vader, or even Dooku, can have different styles, or a different training, but they use the force as a whole to brake normal laws. Even with lightning, even with grip, or even doing other things. It's not a question of what appear on the movies or what's there to choose on Jedi knight ii...=]
 Kryllith
12-13-2002, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Frizbee
Vader on the other hand, wanted to make people fear him, as we can see when the Officer gulps in Episode 6?? when he is promoted by Vader after his senior officer is killed.

Or it could have simply run this way...

Anakin: "Dooku is extremely powerful with the Force. I should learn to generate lightning from my fingertips like he can."
Obi-wan: "Perhaps my young padawan, but my lightsaber easily absorbed the lightning."
Anakin: "Perhaps I could find a more effective way to eliminate my advesaries from a distance."
Obi-wan: "Be careful, or you risk falling down the path of the Dark side."
Anakin: "Oh yes, yes, of course. What am I thinking? (muttered under his breath) You're just afraid I'll overshadow you, aren't you master?"

Kryllith
 Kain
12-13-2002, 11:24 PM
the force lightning couldn't of surged his circuits for any of the following reasons

1. He wore leather gloves. leather probably isnt exactly superconductive

2. the lightning probably wouldnt come from his arm. it comes from his finger TIPS.

3. Even if it would surge his circuits, he'd just stop it before i did any real damage and he'd find a way to shoot it from outside of his hand
 Andy867
12-14-2002, 3:13 AM
Even though Vader is more machine than human, he is still human, and the force lightning is a manipulated form of the Force with one intention: Mortally wound the intended foe. Anakin was obviously hurting when fighting Dooku. Only a rush of the force and adrenaline were able to help him. It is obvious that depending upon your relation to the force, it will determine how much of a burst of force energy you will receive. Look at Yoda. He goes from cane to the flying trapeze to cane.
 Wavey Davey
12-22-2002, 9:20 AM
The reason vader died from force lightning, very simple.

First palps was only using a small "current" on luke to hurt him and not kill. Then after torturing he finally says, "now young skywalker you will die" in other words he turns the current to KILL, that is when Vader intervenes.

So not only does Vader have a much higher voltage of lightning it also goes straight inot his brain, as u can see when the lightining shows his skull.
Page: 2 of 2