Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Ancient Sith Homeworld

Page: 1 of 2
 SunBurN
11-21-2002, 2:17 PM
Well gears have shifted for this project a bit. I now plan on releasing a 3 map pack with all 3 maps different "areas" on the same planet, the Sith Homeworld of Korriban. These maps are based on events that have yet to come to pass in Episode 3.

Map details:

This will be a 3 map pack. The map one (currently available as a beta on pcgamemods..see link below) will be Duel, FFA, and TFFA

Map 2 will be FFA, TFFA, and will feature a different training area (different location on Korriban).

Map 3 will be the largest of the 3 and will feature FFA, TFFA, and possible CTF and SAGA. I will update my gallery soon with pics of the second map that was co-designed by Monsoontide.

For Screen Shots, skip below to my sig and copy the link and paste it in to explorer.

Background story:

It is common knowledge that somewhere near the end of Ep3 there will be the climactic battle between Obi Wan and Anakin where Anakin falls into lava but survives and what's left becomes Darth Vader. Since we don't know exactly how or when or where this will take place, I've created and written my own scenario and it takes place on the Planet Korriban which in the new game Knights of the Old Republic being released for Xbox and pc eventually, Korriban is named the home planet for the Sith.

If you want to read the background story that I'll be releasing with the map, then continue reading, if not, skip below to my sig and click in the link to see the latest screeshots.

SunBurN

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away......

In the not too distant future following the events of the battle of Geonisis, attack has begun on the Jedi Knights leaving their numbers dwindling. Master Kenobi on leave from his duties as General of the Republic forces massing near Dantooine, has been dispatched to find Anikan.

Korriban, a volcanic planet located near the outer rim of the galaxy, was rumored to be the ancient Homeworld of the Sith. Obi Wan, now enroute to Korriban, relaxed as he set the controls of the Starfighter to automatic pilot and reflected on...recent events, the death of Master Windu and the other Jedi, the destruction of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, and the events that led up to his current situation.

A month prior, Anakin had received a transmission the contents of which were unknown, and left immediately without notifying the Jedi council or Obi Wan where he was going, and has not been heard from.. until yesterday when Master Yoda had received a brief, and badly garbled transmission with only one discernable word, Korriban.

As Obi Wan watched the stars elongate into white lines as the Hyper Drive engaged and his ship was thrust in to Hyperspace, he reflected on his conversation with Master Yoda hours earlier.

Yoda paced back and forth as he spoke with Obi Wan.
Yoda: Grave danger for Anikan I fear! Obi wan: danger? What sort of danger...
Yoda: Hmmmm...unclear..clouded things are...
Slowly shaking his head back and forth, Yoda said, Korriban, disturbing this place is, dangerous for skywalker..his undoing I fear this will be.. Obi Wan: His undoing? Master Yoda, I sense nothing in regards to Anakin, or anything else for that matter.

Yoda, feeling his age catching up with him, adjusted his cane as he slowly sat down. Yoda: a dangerous time this is, for us all. Much anger I've felt from him..perhaps from the loss of Padme....or, something deeper I fear. Korriban, powerful in the dark side of the force, a true domain of evil it is..and there you must go!

Obi Wan: Are you sure he's there?
Yoda: No, not certain...veiled to me he is....
Obi Wan: Well then, since we have no other leads to his whereabouts, I'll begin my search there.

Remember, Yoda said as he cleared his throat, and then continued, late the hour is, not much time has he...hurry you must!
Obi Wan: are you saying...that Anikan may already be influenced..by the dark side? Yoda closed his eyes and lowered his head reaching out to the force..after several moments, he spoke in a low voice: begun already...the transformation has...the prophecy..the one..fulfilling it is!

and almost as an afterthought, Yoda turned to Obi Wan and said, Above all, FEAR you must not..for as know you, fear leads to....

Obi Wan was startled awake by loud beeping and chirping from his R4 unit. He was taken aback by what loomed in front of him. A fiery landscape filled his c ockpit as he descended through the clouds of smoke emanating from countless volcanoes and eruptions from this planet that was most assuredly tearing itself apart!

As Obi Wan leaned forward and checked his sensors for any sign life or Anakin's ship, he was overcome by the most powerful sense of dread, and overwhelming feelings of loathing, and anger that he had ever experienced, or could've imagined! He could also feel something pulling him....from somewhere. Now, devoid of any thoughts or conscious will, he felt as if he was being controlled as he maneuvered in between jagged rocky spires, into the depths of canyons, and over huge oceans of burning lava before without realizing it, he was landing his ship on a damaged platform at the base of a small canyon. Almost as quickly as the dark feelings had overtaken him, they vanished, leaving Obi Wan puzzled and staring blankly at Anakin who was standing in the mouth of a large cave glaring at him, lightsaber drawn. As Anakin approached, Obi Wan could see someone else move out of the shadows, but couldn't make out his face until... a flash of red light from a small lava eruption lit up the cave mouth revealing...

With horrible realization, Obi Wan now understood how and why everything had come to pass in the manner in which it had. A deep crackling voice uttered out "destroy him, and your training will begin.. he...was responsible for Padme's death..he was protecting her...he could've saved her...but instead he decided to help the pitiful insignificant rebels and his Jedi friends.

The snap hiss of a saber being ignited broke Obi Wan from his trance. Anakin was again approaching him...Obi Wan unhooked his lightsaber and ignited it...as he backed slowly up onto a small rocky ledge over looking a pool of bubbling lava, he could tell from the look in Anakin's eyes, that he was no longer Anakin Skywalker..but something ..evil! Obi Wan was distracted momentarily as he noticed in the distance a familiar starship descending into the canyon.

From somewhere, perhaps a memory, the words of Master Yoda filled his mind, "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate...leads to suffering"...without a word, Anakin attacked and swung his lightsaber in an incredible arc with amazing speed that Obi Wan was almost unable to counter! From a distance, the battle was observed as the two attacked, lunged and dodged each other over the pools of molten lava. Obi Wan's skin crawled as heard the most sinister cackling sort of laugh, which rose and echoed off and throughout the canyon walls. Obi Wan, now filled with fear, and feeling darkness closing around him, faced his one time friend and padawan learner, and noticed Anakin's partially tattooed arms. Visions of his encounter with Darth Maul struck him as realization came. Anakin grinned and whispered to him in a dark and malicious tone...may the force be with you..not even Master Yoda can save you now!

Well that's it.

You can dl the beta of map 1 from:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=8df707a948fac1b4a0f97aa554886ec8)

I'll be updating soon.

SunBurN
 Wudan
11-21-2002, 2:21 PM
Very Very Very Very beautiful. Where'd you get that Lava tex from?
 SunBurN
11-21-2002, 3:14 PM
Thanks!

It's not a texture, but a shader that Monsoontide helped me with.

SunBurN
 WhiteShdw
11-21-2002, 3:57 PM
I'm happy to hear you're expanding on this project. The beta was really good.

It is common knowledge that somewhere near the end of Ep3 there will be the climactic battle between Obi Wan and Anakin where Anakin falls into lava but survives and what's left becomes Darth Vader.

Well there should be a big battle between the master and his apprentice, but I'm not sure if Anakin will fall into any kind of Lava. Even if this is what uncle George thought of all those years back, he has been known to change his mind.
I remember that everybody was screaming about Qui-gon being Obi-wan's master in Episode I, when Obi-Wan had clearly stated that Yoda was his master in Empire. GL kinda fixed that with Episode II.
 Andy867
11-21-2002, 4:16 PM
Actually, Whiteshdw, G.L. disclosed in an interview that he had trainers working with Hayden and Ewan on their epic battle in Episode 3. So, it looks like it will still happen.
 WhiteShdw
11-21-2002, 6:12 PM
Yeah, i know there's gonna be a battle between the two, but i was speculating about the ending of that battle. All these years i've heard about Anakin falling into Lava or molten pits or whatever. That's supposedly the way he got so wounded. That's something that's never mentioned in the original trilogy. So where did that come from then?

It's probably something out of an old GL screenplay that was never used the original films( like the title of Sith Lord which wasn't used until episode 1, but was mentioned in the screenplays waaay before that ).

But will that be used in Episode 3? So far it seems that GL has been doing everything, except the stuff that the fans have expected in the prequels. At one time, fans expected to see troops of Mandalorian commando's in the prequels.

So what i'm saying is that even though that event has been well known to fans, it's not unlikely that it will play out very differently in Episode 3.
 Padawan_7
11-21-2002, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by SunBurN
Well gears have shifted for this project a bit. I now plan on releasing a 3 map pack with all 3 maps different "areas" on the same planet, the Sith Homeworld of Korriban.

Cool idea SunBurN! I loved the first map.

Will these different "areas" reflect the sandy areas of Korriban and the Sith Temple on Korriban as shown in the KOTOR screenshots?
 SunBurN
11-21-2002, 7:16 PM
when Obi-Wan had clearly stated that Yoda was his master in Empire. GL kinda fixed that with Episode II.

Yeah but Yoda was kind of like everyone's master! Maybe he was Obi Wans master when he was a little kid, much like Yoda was teaching the kids in EP2, but then Qui Gon took over when Obi Wan got older. In any case, my story and the basis for my map is just one possible scenario of what could happen, and most likely none of it will be remotely close to what GL is cooking up for the final prequal. But since they have confirmed that Korriban is indeed and ancient sith homeworld, it sounded like a good place to bring my vision and story to life..so to speak :) .

I just got done corresponding with ravensoft over a couple of issues and I'm happy to say that some major problems I was having are now resolved! Those guys rock!!!

:D
 SunBurN
11-21-2002, 7:33 PM
Will these different "areas" reflect the sandy areas of Korriban and the Sith Temple on Korriban as shown in the KOTOR screenshots?

No, my maps were already created before lucasarts released the screenshots of Korriban. So creating maps to reflect those areas will have to wait til I'm thru with this project. All three of these maps will retain the lava/rocky atmosphere, but have been designed differently, and yet are all similar to reflect consistency for the general theme of the map.

These changes will be apparent when I get some new ss in my gallery which should be pretty soon.

SunBurN
 Padawan_7
11-22-2002, 2:09 AM
Maybe he was Obi Wans master when he was a little kid

I believe Yoda was. That's probably why Obi-Wan said at the very beginning of Ep.1, "But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future." I think this line was to establish that Yoda was once his master/teacher.

No, my maps were already created before lucasarts released the screenshots of Korriban. So creating maps to reflect those areas will have to wait til I'm thru with this project. All three of these maps will retain the lava/rocky atmosphere, but have been designed differently, and yet are all similar to reflect consistency for the general theme of the map.

Okay, that's still cool though. I really liked the lava/rocky atmosphere in the first map and would love to see more!
 SunBurN
11-22-2002, 12:18 PM
I'm going to try and update the gallery today and post some new screenshots. I'll let you all know when I have.

SunburN
 SunBurN
11-25-2002, 8:17 PM
Gallery updated! Click on the link below for new beta shots from map 2.

SunBurN
 inbredyokel
11-25-2002, 10:38 PM
That looks incredibly cool....but I do have a suggestion. Rather than use the existing skybox with a daytime setting, have an evening/twilight atmosphere with a self-lit skybox showing an endless lava field below. It's more of a personal preference, but I think it would really add to the atmosphere.
 SunBurN
11-26-2002, 12:06 AM
Well I was thinking of something similar, but I like the contrast between the first map with its dark (night) atmosphere and the 2nd map which is day. The third one will probably be something along the lines of a twilight setting.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it and I appreciate your suggestions.

:D

SunBurN
 inbredyokel
11-26-2002, 1:00 AM
I totally understand what you mean. However, you could also make a daytime skybox of the same thing, or have daylight with huge rocky valleys below.
 SunBurN
11-26-2002, 11:49 AM
inbredyokel,

That is what I'm going to do. I plan on adding rocky canyons around the exterior wall that decend into fog (and you can't go down there). As it is, the map runs very well with no lag...adding a whole other area might cause it to be unplayable with slower machines.

Also, the light emitting shader for the lava is very cool, but is also memory intensive and it wouldn't be good to apply it to the bottom of the map, when you rarely if at all see it..even if it was part of the sky box.

Anyway, if I put this out for a limited beta, maybe I'll contact you. Let me know if you have any ideas for the interior from what you can see in the photos.

SunBurN:)
 inbredyokel
11-26-2002, 1:39 PM
That actually sounds better...the light diffusion offered by fog/clouds could add a very eerie mood (like being in Jedi purgatory:)).
 SunBurN
11-27-2002, 3:08 PM
An update to the pics section on my web site. Click on the link below.

SunBurN
 SunBurN
12-03-2002, 4:58 PM
Progress update on my website: News and pics for Map #2!

Click on the link below.

SunburN
 Wudan
12-03-2002, 6:24 PM
When a Jedi attains the rank of Master, he is addressed as such, which is why Obi Wan also why Mace Windu is refered to as Master Windu by Anakin, even though it is doubtful that Anakin apprenticed under Windu.

And yes, Yoda is everyone's superior.

This map rocks, but the rocks could use some work. I suggest using multiple rock textures TcGen'd over each other to take out the repetitiveness. It's a good effect : http://users.sisna.com/tokyopop/shot0012.jpg)
 SunBurN
12-03-2002, 6:50 PM
wow Wudan, that is a really nicely done textured rock formation. I'd love to have that look or create textures similar to that. Would it take long to learn and to implement?
 inbredyokel
12-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Looks very cool...the only thing that looks a little odd is the fog. The edge where it starts seems too sharp near the top, so it almost looks like water.
 JediLoaf
12-04-2002, 2:30 AM
I think Inferiors refer to superiors as 'Master Surname' and Superiors to Inferiors 'Master Firstname'

LIke at the end of AOTC, Yoda refers to OBi Wan as Master OBi-Wan and Dooku and Mace Windu 'Master Windu'
 AKPiggott
12-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Hey SunBurN (sorry to keep pestering you because I sent you both an e-mail and a PM about this) but can I use your Jedi Starfighter in my Mace Windu SP level? I've already put it in the map and it looks great, but if you don't want me to use it, I'll remove it right away.
 SunBurN
12-04-2002, 1:43 PM
Well you would have to ask Monsoontide because he created it. He is going to release both the Sith infiltrator md3 and Jedistarfighter prefab as soon as I release these maps. But, he may let you use it. You'll have to ask him. Until then, I would not release it with your map.

SunBurN
 SunBurN
12-04-2002, 1:50 PM
Looks very cool...the only thing that looks a little odd is the fog. The edge where it starts seems too sharp near the top, so it almost looks like water.

Yeah I was thinking that too (from the screenshots) but, it doesn't look that "sharp" in game.

SunBurN
 Wudan
12-04-2002, 2:49 PM
Ok, I can try to whip up something that'll look like what you're going for there - then I'll PM you with the download info for the shader and tex's.

I'm pretty much in love with the process myself, the info for it comes from the Q3map2 guy, who can whip up shaders to do:
http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/screenshots/terrain_detail.jpg)

Of course, that one seems to use AlphaMod, which is something I intend to learn about next.
 Reborn Outcast
12-04-2002, 3:33 PM
Not much experience with maps but this one looks very good!
 SunBurN
12-05-2002, 1:58 AM
Ok, I can try to whip up something that'll look like what you're going for there - then I'll PM you with the download info for the shader and tex's.

Thanks Wudan, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

SunBurN
 SunBurN
12-24-2002, 11:45 AM
A little update....been busy at home over the last few weeks, helping my wife with our new baby, preparing for the hoidays, visitors, family coming into town etc, so my project has kind of been on hold during that time.

Progress:

I have map 1 completed. Map 2 complete but I need to go back and make the bot support a little better and Map 3 is done, however, due to it's size I get frame rates in the 20's to 30's without any bots, just me running around in 3rd person view. And after adding bots, the frame rate goes down the more I add. So unless I can improve that framerate, I may not include map 3 in the final release.

I am going to try a few things but I'm not going to spend too much more time on map 3 so don't get your hopes up for it.

That's about it, Happy Holidays!

SunBurN
 Wudan
12-24-2002, 6:13 PM
Whaaaa!

Sorry I haven't had much time to whip up a shader for you, I'll try to get around to it.

BTW, once you're done with this project, have you seen AOTCTC? It's neato, and you should join up ;)
 SunBurN
12-30-2002, 5:40 AM
Wudan..

Don't worry about the shader...it's the holidays and we're all busy so get to it when you can. I am still interested in it however :)

That mod looks incredible and I'm really looking forward to trying it! But, with our new baby, I don't really have the time right now to dedicate to mapping as I would like, so joining that TC team isn't really an option right now.

On another note, I got SW Bounty Hunter for Game cube for Christmas and I gotta say...it's awesome!!! That would be a great TC! One thing I noticed due to being a mapper is they used what looks like the same engine as JK2outcast. There are areas that you can see through some "cracks" like between a door and the building see through to "the void" (but with no HOM) or other areas where they used caulking etc. Kinda funny the things you notice when you make the maps :)

Anyways, I plan on getting back to working on my maps this weekend and get them finished and released as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for your patience and continued interest.

SunBurN
 SunBurN
12-30-2002, 8:14 AM
this level is Awsome !!! cant wait to play with it

Thanks!

are there flying ships init ??? i think that would be awsome :P my Tie Interceptor thats following a Rebellion ship

No, there are no ships flying but there are falling meteors and moving clouds (map 1 only). Also, since this map is set following the events of episode 2, I don't think that tie interceptors or rebellion ships had been invented yet :)

I really love mapping in radiant and the maps and effects I would like to tackle after I finally release these maps are: SP, SAGA, moving vehicles, and weather for my next maps. So I may ask to borrow your tie interceptor in the future!

Thanks for yours and everyone elses support, it's what's kept me going all this time!

SunBurN
 SunBurN
01-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Ok, Maps 1 and 2 are complete! I'm finishing up Map 3 but I've come to a small problem. I've narrowed down the sky I want to use, a Light or a Dark sky. I can't decide however which I should use, or if I should just use both?

If I used both, then basically I'd be releasing the same map but with two different sky boxes.

If you would like to help me out with my quandry, click on the link in my signature at the bottom and go to Beta Pics Map 3 and take a look at the screenshots and then post a coment here as to what you think. You can also go here: http://www.pcgamemods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1154)

and reply to the poll.

Thanks!

SunBurN
 SunBurN
01-09-2003, 6:46 PM
Well, if you would like to give me your opinion on which map version I should release (day sky, night sky or both), you have until Friday Jan 10th at midnight to give me your feedback either here or in the forum here:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1154)

Here is a quick link to the gallery for the map in question.

http://sunburn54.tripod.com/ancientsithhomeworld/id7.html)

Thanks,

SunBurN
 Eldritch
01-09-2003, 7:04 PM
I say :

Day Sky.

I just don't like the night sky. So there it is, my suggestion. :D

Day Sky.
 SunBurN
01-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks, if possible could you go and vote over here:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/forums/sh...=&threadid=1154)

as night sky is winning on the voting poll.

Thanks,

SunBurN
 Eldritch
01-11-2003, 12:50 AM
I just voted, and now day and night are tied at 44% or something like that.
 Altus_Thrawn
01-11-2003, 7:33 AM
this map really looks great. can't wait to play it.
 SunBurN
01-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks, and a little update.

Like I've said before, I have maps 1 & 2 finished. I'm doing (what I hope) is a last compile of Map 3, the only thing is, the compile takes like 35 hours to complete! So I had done one starting last Friday night and it completed Early Sunday. I realized when I was checking things and adding bot routes that there were a few things I had overlooked and had to fix. So after fixing them, checking everything after a quick no vis compile, I restarted the long compile and I hope it will be done (without anything else needing to be fixed) by tomorrow morning. If it is, then I can finish the botroutes and release everything. Thats about it!

Hopefully the next posting will be me announcing the release!

SunBurN
 Klorel
01-13-2003, 6:14 PM
Which sky did you choose to use? I like the night time feel better for this map, but not the night time texture you used. At this point the day time looks better, unless another night time sky is chosen. I really like you're map, its quite francly a work of art. But I hope you decide to go with a more twilighty night map than the two you were questioning, hope i'm not TOO late, but either way this is a great map and I can't wait to play in it.

-Klorel
 SunBurN
01-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Well I agree with you, I don't like the night sky choices I had, so I went ahead with the "day" version. I'll look at the night skies again once more before I release it, but my choices are limited and quite frankly, I've been working on these maps for so long (about 7 months) and after dealing with every problem imaginable, I just want to get them released. I'm at the point that everytime I go in to the map and test it, I see things I want to "tweak" or fix and at this rate, unless I just release these maps, they may never get released.

I may however release the night sky version of Map 3 seperately a little later if I can find a better sky or maybe I'll create a custom one and I'll make it a FFA/CTF map. As of this morning when I left for work, my map was in it's 32nd hour of compile so when I get home this evening, it should be done and I'll be able to tell if its finally ready.

SunBurN
 Eldritch
01-14-2003, 2:33 PM
As of this morning when I left for work, my map was in it's 32nd hour of compile so when I get home this evening, it should be done and I'll be able to tell if its finally ready.

SunBurN

:eek: :drop2: 32+ hours to compile? How big is this map? The biggest map I've played was Anchorhead, and that took only 16 hours or so to compile, if I remember correctly...
 SunBurN
01-14-2003, 4:46 PM
It's a combination of things, it's a very large map, it has a LOT of open area, efx and I think the thing that most causes the long compile time is the light emitting lava shader which takes up a huge portion of the map. As a test, I took the lava out and the map compiled in half the time...so since the lava is an essential part of the map, waiting for the long compile time is a necessary evil :)

SunBurN
 Eldritch
01-14-2003, 7:28 PM
I see... well, it looks great, so it will all be worth it.
 SunBurN
01-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Well I'm happy to say it compiled fine and the entire map pack is almost ready for release. However, when I was putting in the bot routes, I found an area in Map 3 that has a serious problem and I wouldn't have noticed it if not for a bot getting "stuck" there. So it looks like I'll have to do one more compile :(.

But before I do, I'm thinking I want to have a few ppl beta test the map pack. So, the first four or five ppl to respond will be the beta testers.

Respond here:

myownweatheredprison@hotmail.com

Just be aware this pk3 has all three maps and is over 10mbs. So if you want me to send it to you, make sure your email will accept files of that size.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 3:29 PM
I've emailed my response! :D

I hope I was one of the first 4 or 5. *crosses fingers*
 SunBurN
01-15-2003, 3:49 PM
I hope I was one of the first 4 or 5. *crosses fingers*

You were, and its on its way!
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 3:58 PM
Woo hoo! Is there a questionnaire or anything included with it that I should fill out? Or anything specific I should look for?
 SunBurN
01-15-2003, 4:13 PM
The email has some basic instructions...but basically, just play around with the maps, try them out with a few bots, have fun and if during that time you run across something that bothers you or is obviously a problems, let me know by email at one of the email addresses I provided.

Please indicate which of the 3 maps the problem(s) is with and include screenshots if possible.

Thanks,

SunBurN
Page: 1 of 2