Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tuskin Raider Camp

Page: 1 of 1
 seks03
11-18-2002, 9:08 PM
Heres an early picture of the tuskin raider camp from EPII, that im building I send post more updates coon

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/test/files/center/images/tc.jpg)
 Andy867
11-19-2002, 3:28 PM
Looks good Seks03, it will definitely be easier to make it now with the DVD out. what is your agenda of things to put into the map? will some of the tents be enterable?
 Padawan_7
11-19-2002, 7:10 PM
Looks good.

Are you going to make a cliff or something next to the camp (like Ep. II)? It would make for a nice sniping area.
 Wes Marrakesh
11-19-2002, 11:47 PM
I know it is in the early stages but it needs a LOT of work. First... all the huts look cloned and are textured the same. Second, who wants to play in a flat open square like that? Third, there weren;t that many huts.

Good start but needs work.
 seks03
11-20-2002, 7:02 AM
I have a cliff in the lower right corner which is about 50 ft high, and i am planing on making some tents interavtive, likle the one anakin went into, but theres not going to be much to do in most of them cause there small tents.

there weren;t that many huts -Wes Marrakesh

heres a picture of the camp site, im sure you can count
http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4048.jpg)

and like i said its an early pic. those huts were place holders, and I plus alot of other would like to play on this map.
 Padawan_7
11-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by seks03
i am planing on making some tents interavtive, likle the one anakin went into, but theres not going to be much to do in most of them cause there small tents.

Yeah, just put some health, shields, weapons, and force pick-ups in there.
 seks03
11-20-2002, 9:55 PM
good idea padawan, a, would you like to test the map? let me give me your email
 Padawan_7
11-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Sure, I'll test your map seks03. Check your pm's.
 TBS_SDF
11-23-2002, 4:26 PM
1st thing make some fires infront of the tents.2nd you should change the sky box to be a little lighter. 3rd make one tent have a cutable side and have the things you saw in shmee's tnent in that hut. 4th make the tents a dark yellow/light brown and have some sticks poking out =) keep up the great work!
 seks03
11-24-2002, 7:49 AM
good ideas..... i was gonna do all of those things two, ive got the huts done but need to find a way to make a curtan for the hut doors, and a custom texture for the hut floors wont load in game, ill post some snap shots soon
 El Sitherino
11-24-2002, 5:26 PM
ill test it if you want i can also help you with making it. i dont need any credit just the fact of knowing i helped. i can also get you some music cuz i have the soundtrack on disc in my drive right now. heres my email (SirFobos2021@yahoo.com)
 Padawan_7
11-24-2002, 10:59 PM
seks03,

Overall, I think your map is very good! I really, really do.

Below are all of my suggestions. But, keep in mind, these are just my opinions, and feel free to ignore any that you do not agree with. :D However, I do feel that you will probably agree with a lot of these. So here we go...

The top of the huts are too pointy.
The texture applied to the huts should be bigger. The pattern looks too repetitive.
The texture applied to the huts could be of a more grayer shade.
Make wooden poles that stick up out of the top of the hut (teepee style).
These wooden poles could actually be made to bend around the outside surface of the hut (like in the movie). Texture the part of the pole that touches the outside of the hut a darker version of the hut’s texture (to give the appearance of the pole being sheathed inside of the hut’s cloth/skin. Then, texture the part of the pole that sticks up into the air as wood grain.

The ground color should be more of a dark gray with a hint of tan. (Right now, I can barely see it.)
When at the edge of the map you can see ‘down’ further into the sky. I’m not really a mapper, but I think if you extended the ground out further and just placed an invisible wall to limit the player from going to the edge of the map, it might look better.

The fires you made look fantastic. They could be nice obstacles if they hurt you when you step on them. :)

The rock cliff is way too dark. Light needs to be cast on the rock cliff in the direction of the rising sun. Make sure this light hits the top of the rock cliff. And you might need to cheat on this one, but light needs to fall on the side that you climb on too.
I think it would be nicer if the rock cliff was wide enough to have a small two person saber dual (like Battleground Jedi).

The map size is nice, but you might want to add, on the side opposite of the rock cliff, an area away from the camp with a short rock formation (the height of a player) to duck around and pick up a gun or some health and have a firefight with those at the edge of the camp.

Inside one of the bigger huts, (the one that could represent Shmi’s torture hut), you should include that triangular torture rack and a small fire (like in the movie). Also, put in there a dark side power up (this can represent Anakin’s partial giving in to the dark side). :) Then to balance out the dark side power up, you could put a light side power up on top of the big rock cliff.

For weapons, I think you should place one sniper rifle on the edge of the rock cliff and one somewhere in the camp. Then place a couple bowcasters, a couple DEMP’s (these can represent Jawa guns :) ), one set of thermal detonators, and maybe one or two stormtrooper rifles else where.

For the map’s music, you could use a special mix of Ep. 2’s “The Tusken Camp and The Homestead” and Ep. 4’s “The Land of the Sand People.”

Oh yeah, I also noticed one bug in your map that I have never experienced in any other. Your map’s pack file does not work with Tck sabers (it causes the saber to use a ‘blocky’ default shader). I think one of the shaders included in your pack file shares the same name as one of the ones used by the Tck sabers. If you can’t figure out how to fix this problem you can probably contact Tchouky (the maker of the Tck sabers) in the coding forum.

Wow, that was a lot, wasn’t it? I apologize about the long list (and if I over stepped my beta testing boundaries); it’s just that I really love the concept of this map and your doing such a good job with it. :D Please keep up the great work!

Padawan_7
 seks03
11-25-2002, 9:35 PM
THOSE ARE SOME GREAT IDEAS!!! ya im still working on the hut and sand textures, im definatly do those item placements. and thats a great idea about stretching the floor beyone the playable space... but i tryed it and couldnt get it to work. ill try something else... and i think ill do that dueling area on the cliff.
im having problems changing the light color thats coming from the moon. its an orange color, but i wan a blueish color. and still need to find a way to make curtains for the huts.

heres a new screen shot.
http://www.inflictions.com/bin/TC2.jpg)
 inbredyokel
11-25-2002, 10:23 PM
One thing I might recommend is extending the ground really far off in each direction, and creating an invisible wall around the inner part of the map so that people can't run to the edge of the ground and look at the skybox. That's one thing that bothers me about the Cantina map.
 Andy867
11-26-2002, 12:53 AM
One thing to do is kind of scale everything a little larger. I mean obviously, even for Tusken Camp, they need their personal space, so kind of space things out a little here and there, and try to see if you can make the huts bigger, or maybe take a pic for starters to show how tall they are.
 Kit Fisto
11-26-2002, 6:51 AM
Thats looking really good. Im just curious, how do you plan to fence off the edges of the map without it looking like your walking into a skybox?
 seks03
11-27-2002, 7:20 AM
hey guys, here are some screen shots the rest are at my site.
I have tryed to stay true to the movie as far as size Andy867, i have stretched the ground out with a small raised hill at the end of it and an invisable wall so you cant go to the edge. thanks Padawan7 & inbredyokel. I have also made the cliff bigger so now theres a space for a duel. I have also made Lars Swoop bike and made some parts breakable.

Im almost done but i still need to
- add the right textures to the huts, the cone shape makes it hard.
- Remove the reddish light emitted by the moon or change it.
- sound fx and music
- optimize for public use

not to bad for my first map :D

http://www.inflictions.com/bin/tc/1.jpg)

http://www.inflictions.com/bin/tc/2.jpg)

http://www.inflictions.com/bin/tc/5.jpg)

http://www.inflictions.com/bin/tc/7.jpg)
 -s/<itzo-
11-27-2002, 12:07 PM
i'm impress

not bad for a first map.
 seks03
11-27-2002, 8:45 PM
ya i seen that to scouttrope, im trying to find a why to keep the fire inside, i was thinking of making it a wire mesh can so that it dosent matter if it goes though, and i dont want to make it bigger because it will take up more space then ness.
 El Sitherino
11-27-2002, 9:36 PM
you know my offer still stands.
 Matt-Liell
11-29-2002, 4:43 PM
nice! what program r u using may i ask? ive always wanted to map but the prgrams i use never work!
 Matt-Liell
11-29-2002, 4:51 PM
could i also get a copy of your beta?
 seks03
11-29-2002, 5:09 PM
hey matt, i use JK2Radiant for the map. and Photoshop for any custom textures, cooledit pro for sound and am gonna use bryce for the sky. go to this site if you want to learn how to map... its awsome, i started on 11/12/02 and im almost finish with this on now.... 18 days, not bad. only problem is that the guy stoped the lessons right before he gets to the good stuff, Think he was obducted by circus midgets ;)

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/index.html)
 Enjoi9187
11-29-2002, 10:54 PM
give the tents a MUCH darker texture, because it looks like they are "magically" lit. Also, that would be AWESOME if you could somehow fit wishimi into it :)
 El Sitherino
11-29-2002, 11:26 PM
hey seks03 i got your mail ok im workin on the textures ok and ill get the moon to light blue. also to fix the light to do that what you do is you just type in color and in the other part put blue.
 El Sitherino
11-30-2002, 1:26 PM
 seks03
12-02-2002, 12:24 AM
thanks man, ill try that texture right know. and ill try that light thing
 El Sitherino
12-02-2002, 2:14 AM
yeah no problem.
 seks03
12-02-2002, 6:34 AM
well i tryed that texture, had to modify it so it would be a pattern and remove the bird footprints. it ended up not looking to great so i think im gonna stick with the original texture. thanks though man.

For everyone else.... Im almost done, even though i havent been able to change the moon color, its ok because it dosent look bad.
I dont want to spend forever and a day fixing this. and i hate having to wait for something to be released. so it should be out any day now.
 Anakin
12-02-2002, 2:20 PM
I like- any chance you could mail me at aotctc@hotmail.com
 Wudan
12-02-2002, 7:29 PM
A lot of the textures need heavy re-working. I appreciate the LOD you've got going here, tho.

One thing that you could try is to make a 'dirty' shader utilizing TcGen shader keys - it'll make it dirty (just a lil bit) and it won't look very repetitive.

It worked good here : http://users.sisna.com/tokyopop/shot0012.jpg)

That's 2 rock textures TcGen'd over each other, one provides rock info, the other makes neat sandstone looking schtuff.

Basically, instead of sandstone looking schtuff, it'd be altered to make 'dusty' 'dirty' schtuff.
 El Sitherino
12-02-2002, 11:14 PM
seks try and fix the fps.
 Wes Marrakesh
12-02-2002, 11:28 PM
My only comment is to make it not look like it;s a floating piece of land. You see how it just 'ends' at the sky and looks like it's floating, since the sky is so far away? You could add some canyon walls that people can't jump to to fix the problem.

Otherwise, it looks great :thumbsup:
 seks03
12-03-2002, 10:54 AM
ok guys I have everything I need to release it, but Im going to try and do something with the floor so it dosent look like its floating. but other then that its a go and will probably be out later today. Check my site be cause of course thats were its gonna be release first then Im sure the guys at the other site will pick it up later.

and as for the rock. i think its to dark to really take advantage of that dirty shader, but thanks though.

Anakin, Im gonna send you a link for the latest version. for the good of the aotc project. :)
 Wudan
12-03-2002, 11:11 AM
It's too dark - make it dusk. Don't make the tents magically lit, and break up the repetitive texture with something to make them dustier and more primitive.
 El Sitherino
12-03-2002, 7:17 PM
if you play the actuall map itself and not just look at the pics it looks very well made and the skybox is setup pretty well just do somethin about the FPS.
 seks03
12-04-2002, 7:24 AM
iTS OUT!!!
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 3:23 PM
I saw some screenies on your JediMoves (http://www.jedimoves.com) site, and the map looks very good.

Great site by the way
JediMod > JediPlus :D

Keep up the good work ;)
 seks03
12-04-2002, 10:02 PM
thanks for the comps. a if anyone is gonna host a server w/ this map, let me know. i wanna play, i swing a pretty mean saber :)
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 11:34 PM
You could also try making an SP version of the map, with Tuskens to slice ;)

Might be a good idea; but lots of work ;)
 Padawan_7
12-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Great job seks! The map is excellent, man. Thanks for all of the hard work you put into this. You're pretty good for a first time mapper. :D

Hey, do you plan on making any more maps?
 seks03
12-05-2002, 12:01 PM
THATS AN AWSOME IDEA Hиkx Nтxъ, but Im just getting the hang of mapping right now, dont think this brain of mine can handle learning something new right know, but if any one wants to do it, ill give them all the sorce file or what ever they need.

Hey padawan_7 , thanks for the comps, and ya Im actually working on my secound map right know, (terragen is endering skybox right now) I'll anounce it in a couple of days when its some what recognizable, and it well be a map based on EPII again.
 Padawan_7
12-05-2002, 7:09 PM
Originally posted by seks03
...ya Im actually working on my secound map right know, (terragen is endering skybox right now) I'll anounce it in a couple of days when its some what recognizable, and it well be a map based on EPII again.

Cool.:)
 t3rr0r
12-05-2002, 7:54 PM
pretty good map... one of my complaints is getting caught on some of the doorframes to some of the huts... crouching to get in some huts is tedious.
 seks03
12-05-2002, 8:54 PM
ya t3rr3or, I had thought long and hard about this, but desided to stick to making people crouch, here are thr reason why.

1.) its acurate to the movie.
2.) gives some1 that is being chased a little time to setup an ambush, heres the senerio (your being chased and you roll into a hutt and turn, ready to swing a red stance blow. while the person chasing you might have to crouch and walk slowly into an ambush. )
3.) door way tends to look a little to big.
 Taigan
12-05-2002, 11:12 PM
SWEET MAP MAN REALLY COOL!!!!!!
 seks03
12-07-2002, 6:33 AM
thanks Taigan
Page: 1 of 1