Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Yadu's Lightsaber

Page: 1 of 1
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 7:14 PM
Here is my second model made with gmax, this time version 1.2. Its Yadu's Lightsaber here is a little background if u really care, if u dont then skip down to the picture link, the story is very interesting though if u like star wars u might want to read it!

Yadu was the first ever Jedi to live. He was one day traveling through the forests of Yavin 4 (later the location of the Rebel Alliance’s base of operations) when all of a sudden a mysterious black figure came before him, Yadu was stripped of all his food and medical supplies and anger was now swelling in him. Just as he was about to attack the figure a strange sensation was upon him, the trees around him started to glow and he was gaining a strange energy as if the trees were creating it and giving it to him. As this was happening the black figure ran away into the shadows of Yavin. Yadu had all of a sudden no anger towards the last events and was calm, he felt like a new person. He learned about his new power he called THE FORCE. He discovered he could move objects with it and he could foresee the future.
Later on he found more power in it but it couldn’t defend him from everything. He constructed the following lightsaber with energy crystals found on Yavin and he found it could block laser blasts if they were set on stun.
It was a fairly decent tool for living in the forest but one day he came along the same black figure who he discovered to his surprise had the same powers. He took out his hilt and engaged in battle but the figure who was dressed in a black robe and hood did not withdraw a weapon instead he lifted his fingers and lightning shot out of their tips. Yadu was frozen with pain on the ground. The figure explained he had the same powers but he was differnt in one way..... he used them for evil. He explained he was a sith lord and that he too had a lightsaber. He then took it out and unfroze Yadu, when Yadu tried to block the figure’s blow his lightsaber blade broke in two and he lost his hand. The sith lord ran never to be seen again. Yadu then added the four prongs onto his lightsaber each containing an energy crystal and now his lighsaber was strong enough to block other lightsabers and laser blasts. Later on he discovered how to get enough energy for his lightsaber without the prongs.
Yadu then instructed a young infant called Kiiwda who went on to instruct the master of Yoda. Yadu’s first lightsaber was lost on Yavin for thousands of years until LUKE SKYWALKER found it partly crushed under a rock. He took it back to his jedi academy where he reconstructed it and now it remains on display there for all jedi to see where it all started. Luke’s academy was strangely enough built on the very spot
Yadu absorbed the force.

Well there is the story here is a picture what do u think, i just started it about 20 minutes ago!
www.geocities.com/yaduskins/yadusaber)
 Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 7:19 PM
Holy sh** that rocks but make sure u make it mod compatible cuz im gonna use it a lot :) also ur not gonna release ur other models?? guns
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 7:24 PM
oh im going to release it, im just waiting for thewhiteraider to get part of it fixed. i really like the way this saber looks though! i acctually made it out of wood awhile ago and now making a model of it and yes, it will be mod compatible! it looks sweet i must say pretty good for my second model dont ya think! keep up the suggestions!
 Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 7:43 PM
Wooden model of it well post pictures of that how long did it take to carve?
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 7:46 PM
oh, it wasnt good like that just a wooden dowl (end of a broomstick) and some scrolled wood for the prongs and some glued on nuts ands nail heads and i spray painted it! im making that model ALOT better with curves on the grip and stuff! as for pics, part of it broke so maybe if i fix it!
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 8:37 PM
come on guys i need crits/opinions to finish the model!
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 8:57 PM
ive tried over and over to get the tags on but it never works, can someone explain step by step how to do this for a lightsaber!?
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-13-2002, 9:07 PM
Looks pretty.. I'd add some detail to the bottom of it though ;)
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 9:09 PM
ya i will, now what about these tags guys?
 Matt-Liell
11-13-2002, 9:24 PM
heres an update! i changed the bottom!

www.geocities.com/yaduskins/yadusaber)
 Matt-Liell
11-14-2002, 7:34 AM
why does noone reply to my WIP? do u hate my saber!?
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-14-2002, 8:29 AM
Looks pretty!
i dont hate your saber
 Eldritch
11-14-2002, 11:44 AM
I do like the quasi-organic curvy look of the lower half, but the top (with those prongs) look like the prize claw for that game where you manuever the claw to try and pick up an item (usually a teddy bear or something), and if you're lucky enough it grabs it and deposits it for you... not sure what it's actually called.
I would work on redesigning the top half of it.
 Matt-Liell
11-14-2002, 6:40 PM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S
I do like the quasi-organic curvy look of the lower half, but the top (with those prongs) look like the prize claw for that game where you manuever the claw to try and pick up an item (usually a teddy bear or something), and if you're lucky enough it grabs it and deposits it for you... not sure what it's actually called.
I would work on redesigning the top half of it.

dont know thats the way it was made to look like, what do u suggest instead?
 Eldritch
11-15-2002, 5:44 PM
Making the top half smaller (scale). It's huge right now.
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-15-2002, 5:57 PM
Noooooo don't change the top! That's what makes it unique! What would be cool though is at the bottom, make it a claw like bottom that holds a red gem :D
 Haseco
11-16-2002, 2:21 AM
alright to create the tag where the saber will emit, u must goto the right side of the where you usually click which 3d shape you would like to make. Well, Look just above those buttons, you will see the Sphere debevelled (pushed in), and next to it a picture of a triangle, square, and a circle. Click that button. Now you see a new set of 2d shapes. Click the line. Look down in the properties and ensure they are all on corner opposing to bezier. Now, following the grid, create a right triangle with one leg being about twice as long as the other. You will notice that once u connect a vertice it asks "would you like to close spine?" click yes. Now you have the right triangle, from there right click your right triangle and covert it to an editable poly. The right triangle should now be opaque. Continue to name the right triangle (found right above the Modifier List combo box) currently it should say "Line1" change it to tag_flash. Once completed procedure to line the triangle like so in the hilt.
This Way UP ^
______ <---beam will emit from this height
|.........../
|........../
|........./
|......../
|......./
|....../
|...../
|..../
^Beam will line up with this.
 Darth Vader III
11-16-2002, 2:24 AM
Lookin' good, Yadu. Very good job indeed.;)
 Matt-Liell
11-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks Darth Vader III,
I'm getting stuck on UVW Unwrapping, after i set up the map and go into the edit part of it what do i do? and im testing it in game right now dont know if itll work though!
 Haseco
11-17-2002, 1:36 PM
choose cylinder as the uv mapping tool...and then unwrap it the saber should look more mapped out.
 Matt-Liell
11-17-2002, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by Jedi haseco
choose cylinder as the uv mapping tool...and then unwrap it the saber should look more mapped out.
i did that but it looks the same! in the tutorial im reading it says something about break vertexes everytime 2 of them meet then spreading them out, then it shows them dragging the 2d images of the parts of the model to the skinmap . I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO! HELP!
 Haseco
11-18-2002, 4:54 PM
dude sorry to tell u, but dont follow FBF's tutorial...it's off concerning the mapping. I mean you can do it that way but that takes A LONG TIME...i'm talking hours upon hours. Now it says to use the planar gizmo..instead use the cylinder and fit the cylinder over the saber so the saber fits inside and then unwrap. View the unwrapped uvmap and print the screen. Crop the image at the dark grey border. U can see the skeleton of the model and then skin from there.
 Matt-Liell
11-18-2002, 5:39 PM
dont really understand do u have a tutorial for this or could u just explain this better?
 TheWhiteRaider
11-18-2002, 6:05 PM
Sorry I could not respond to you sooner. I have had a hard time getting on-line lately. If you need help I can help. Sabers are much easier(That is a under statement) than guns. As there is less to deal with. Just tell me what you need help with.
 TheWhiteRaider
11-18-2002, 6:16 PM
dude sorry to tell u, but dont follow FBF's tutorial...it's off concerning the mapping. I mean you can do it that way but that takes A LONG TIME...i'm talking hours upon hours. Now it says to use the planar gizmo..instead use the cylinder and fit the cylinder over the saber so the saber fits inside and then unwrap. View the unwrapped uvmap and print the screen. Crop the image at the dark grey border. U can see the skeleton of the model and then skin from there.

Though there are some problems with useing a cylinder unwrap on non cylinder objects. If the object is close being a cylinder it works great, but other times it is harder to unwrap from a cylinder mapping. It just depends on the object.
 Haseco
11-18-2002, 7:00 PM
i refer to this for sabers because saber are very cylindrical most of the time.
 Matt-Liell
11-18-2002, 7:01 PM
Originally posted by TheWhiteRaider
Sorry I could not respond to you sooner. I have had a hard time getting on-line lately. If you need help I can help. Sabers are much easier(That is a under statement) than guns. As there is less to deal with. Just tell me what you need help with.
tags and UV map same as the blaster!
 TheWhiteRaider
11-18-2002, 9:39 PM
i refer to this for sabers because saber are very cylindrical most of the time.

True. There are some cases I have seen that it is easier to do a flat mapping on a saber.
 Matt-Liell
11-19-2002, 8:01 AM
can u do it whiteraider?
 TheWhiteRaider
11-20-2002, 12:46 AM
Should be able to. I just got done with my Tooth Brush saber(I am making a comedy set). So I think I can do it. Just E-mail it.
 Matt-Liell
11-20-2002, 8:01 AM
sure ill send the md3 now!
 TheWhiteRaider
11-21-2002, 12:31 AM
You wouldn't happen to have the gmax scence would you? The md3 is messed up when I import it into Gmax.
 Matt-Liell
11-21-2002, 7:53 AM
ill send it now!
 TheWhiteRaider
11-21-2002, 3:32 PM
I will get started on it.
 TheWhiteRaider
11-21-2002, 10:45 PM
How are you going to color the saber?
 Matt-Liell
11-22-2002, 1:05 PM
with a metalic skin why?
 Haseco
11-22-2002, 4:39 PM
sorry to be a little offtopic but yadu...howd u change ur username?
 Matt-Liell
11-22-2002, 4:51 PM
go to the help/feedback center and make a post named "name change" and tell the moderator what u want your name to be!
 TheWhiteRaider
11-22-2002, 8:45 PM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell Arroblade
with a metalic skin why?

I was just wondering.
 Matt-Liell
11-23-2002, 7:45 AM
hows it coming buddy?
 TheWhiteRaider
11-23-2002, 10:30 PM
I got most of it unwraped. I am adding the tags right now.
 TheWhiteRaider
11-26-2002, 12:26 AM
Ok already to send to you. I just need to get my e-mail box problems fixed.
 Matt-Liell
11-26-2002, 7:51 AM
Thanks! did u receive that email i sent u about the tutorial?
 Rebel_Spy
11-26-2002, 2:48 PM
I like your saber Matt-Liell, really its looking very nice. Now, I like to know what tutorial are you following in order to make the saber? Haseco stated before that the FBF's tutorial lacks in some main matters, can you please tell me what tutorial are you using, or at least give some pointers about the process because I really want to make a couple of lightsaber that I have in mind for some time.

Thanks in advance!
 Matt-Liell
11-26-2002, 6:21 PM
to tell u the truth i just well, STARTED! i took a cylinder and learned the different functions of gmax and made this lightsaber. but if u want to see my work from my first model go to my boba fett blaster WIP in the showcase forum! it has tutorials and stuff there! hope that helped!
 TheWhiteRaider
11-28-2002, 2:09 PM
(Sorry I have been busy with Metroid Prime lately :D)

Anyways I will try to write a tutorial("Try" being the key word.) I am done with the unwraping and tags. I have the saber done and I will send it to you. In the zip file there should be

Saber.JPG(Test skin)
Net.JPG(Skin map)
Saber_W.md3
Saber_w.glm
and the Gmax file.

Once you are done skinning save the file as Saber.JPG and the MD3,GLM, and JPG goes into models/weapons2/saber_Yadu folder.

Good luck
 Matt-Liell
11-28-2002, 3:52 PM
Thanks and good luck with the tutorial! ill post some pics when im done the skin!
 TheWhiteRaider
12-03-2002, 12:01 AM
How is the skin coming. I want to see this when it is done.
 Matt-Liell
12-03-2002, 8:04 AM
ive just been busy helping insanesith by skinning his helmetless jango model, i did a bit of skinning but not a good enough job, ill post pics in a day or two!
Page: 1 of 1