Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Quinlan Vos

Page: 1 of 4
 Rebel_Spy
11-12-2002, 6:59 PM
Hi...

I'm just a newbie in modeling, I've been working on this model 'cause I really like it. As my first attempt ever I will use the Raven's models as reference, but I really want to make it from scratch...

But what happens when a Jedi loses his memory? Quinlan Vos: Jedi without a past, He is an expanded universe character Background Description (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/quinlanvos/eu.html)

I would appreciate all constructive feedback...

I hope you will like it

http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_01.txt)

Screenshot 1 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_01.txt) Screenshot 2 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_02.txt)
Screenshot 3 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_03.txt) Screenshot 4 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_04.txt)
 Hellfire Jedi
11-12-2002, 8:09 PM
Don't do text cuz thats all i see no pictures just text
 Padawan_7
11-12-2002, 9:12 PM
Hey, that's not bad. Not bad at all!

One thing, though, the elbow section of the underarm is too pointy.

Keep up the good work man! :D
 Rebel_Spy
11-12-2002, 9:41 PM
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi
Don't do text cuz thats all i see no pictures just text

What do you mean with that (Honest Question)? I don't understand what are you imply... I put the images with .txt extension because Geocities will not allow to load pictures from forums like this one, if I put those pics as .jpg you have to copy and paste the link in the address bar of your browser.

Originally posted by Padawan_7
One thing, though, the elbow section of the underarm is too pointy.

Thanks dude, I will do something about it!
 mariners2001
11-12-2002, 9:43 PM
the pics look great, rebelspy!! can't wait to see the head, that's going to be the challenging point.

btw, i can see the pictures fine.
 Rebel_Spy
11-12-2002, 9:58 PM
Yeah It will do difficult, I just draw some sketches of the head, but I really want to have either some real pics of that extra guy in episode I, that one in the back when Sebulba fights Jar Jar for a piece of food, or maybe one guy that just look as Quin.

If any can help with those issues, I will be really thankful.

I will do Quin as we all see him in "Darkness" and "Rite of Passage" series, not as "Infinity's End" it was too cartoonish
 -s/<itzo-
11-12-2002, 11:31 PM
great start, the sleeves should be much more baggier though.
can't wait till you begin the head.

heres some reference pic.:check it out:. (http://jediencyclopedia.150m.com/quinlanvos.html)
 Darth Loki
11-13-2002, 1:28 AM
Finally, someones making Vos. Bout time too, we already got aayla.
 Eldritch
11-13-2002, 9:22 AM
Looks like one EU model I might actually download. Your model seems very detailed, but I would advise against making his sleeves too baggy (though they should be baggier than they are now) because the JK2 engine has no way to animate fabric and they'd just defy gravity (look at the Emperor model for the extreme example). Other than the head, baggier sleeves and a great skin, I don't think there's much else you can do for this model. Keep up the good work.
 Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 3:14 PM
Wish i could see the pictures i would love to see it =/
 Rebel_Spy
11-13-2002, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi
Wish i could see the pictures i would love to see it =/

Well, I don't know what happen with you, but you can try saving the screenshot ("Save targe as") and then change the .txt extension to .jpg, otherwise PM'ed me and I will be happy to send the images to you.

Back on track...

-s/<itzo- and JEDI_Anakin_S:
I'll do the sleeves more baggier, but not much because Quin don't use a baggy tunic. JEDI_Anakin_S thanks for the advise in this matter I just didn't know that for sure

mariners2001:
I Already begun working in the head, this is an update Screenshot 5 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_05.txt) . It just a simple start to keep you guys posted, He need more hair braids in the back. I don't know how much but at least 3 or 4 more in the back, one big in the front and some other in the side.

BTW, I just find some reference pics of the boots, and they will need some tweaking around. The boots are Double Harness, i.e Wesco boots.
 Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 5:48 PM
did what u said all i can say is fer a first moldel...
WOW i will play with this a lot
 Rebel_Spy
11-13-2002, 9:33 PM
Well, some update in the head, please give crits about it!!

I know, I know, He need more hair braids, I'm working on it...

Screenshot 6 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_06.txt) Screenshot 7 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_07.txt) Screenshot 8 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_08.txt) Screenshot 9 (http://www.geocities.com/jvaliant/quin_wip_09.txt)

Laaaaaaaaate!
 Padawan_7
11-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Again, looking very good.

Now for the criticism… I think you need to make the chin rounder, and the tip of the nose and the nostrils need to be fatter. Also, his face looks a tad bit on the flat side. Try pulling his eyes back further into his head.

That's all for now.

Keep it up!

Padawan_7
 Rebel_Spy
11-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Yeah that's good, I forgot to tell you guys that I just do some work in the head, the face is still generic face, though

Thanks for the feedback Padawan_7!

The actual poly count is 2602 if anyone want to know
 Darth Loki
11-13-2002, 10:58 PM
the tip of his nose needs to coime "up" a little.
 Rebel_Spy
11-14-2002, 6:16 PM
I will be out for a couple of days, I'm going to a conference, so I will get back on wednesday and do more work on Quin...

Meanwhile, please give some pointers, crits, ideas, advises about how this model is coming and what things I need to do (and known), remember I just starting in this modeling stuff.

See you later, guys
 Rebel_Spy
11-16-2002, 8:08 PM
 Hellfire Jedi
11-16-2002, 8:14 PM
WOW!
I love it
 SupremePain
11-16-2002, 9:06 PM
hmm how many polys is this dude so far?:)
btw he looks awsome
 Pnut_Man
11-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Very talented work..Btw..what program do you use to model?
 Rebel_Spy
11-20-2002, 6:38 PM
Well, I come back, I going to put morework in Quin, I think I can start with the uvwmap by end of week

I'm using gmax for now, expecting get 3dsmax soon. The polycount, well I don't have my laptop with me, I think that right now is about 2800.
 SupremePain
11-21-2002, 9:25 AM
awesome Rebal_Spy its looking real good:cool: and the polycount is good too ;)
 Rebel_Spy
11-21-2002, 6:11 PM
Make some modification, the poly count is now 2987, I'll try to get it low
 -s/<itzo-
11-21-2002, 6:25 PM
it's lookin good Rebel_Spy. it seems like you know what you're doing.

keep it up..
 Padawan_7
11-21-2002, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by Rebel_Spy
Make some modification, the poly count is now 2987, I'll try to get it low

Well remember, the first LOD should be around 3000 polys. But, of course, it doesn't hurt to shoot for less. ;)
 Rebel_Spy
11-21-2002, 7:49 PM
yeah, that's right Padawan_7

I looking forward to model Quinlan with a robe, so I need to save some polys here and there, you know
 Dragonlancer
11-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Oh my gosh!!! I just looked at this for the first time and it is incredible!!!!! Now you listen to me rebelspy, you keep modeling and I honestly believe your name will be up there with tereco, toonces, kman, cheshire, sithlord II and others that I forgot to mention. That is incredible work. If your not interested in skinning him yourself then I reccomend you say something to arco, he might help you out with the skinning. Keep up the incredible work man.
 Padawan_7
11-22-2002, 2:23 AM
I looking forward to model Quinlan with a robe, so I need to save some polys here and there, you know

Cool. I didn't even think about a robe.
Yeap, that's a good idea. :D
 Rebel_Spy
11-24-2002, 5:31 PM
I starting tweaking some verts on the face, but what do you think about the hair, guys please give some comments about!

I also started experiments with the whole uvw mapping thing, fornow all I can tell is I'm having fun

Dragonlancer, about the skin, well, I'm not a skinner but I'll do my best, but if anyone like to have a shot in the skinning process of Quin I'll be very thankful
 Padawan_7
11-24-2002, 7:44 PM
Okay Rebel_Spy, I took another look at Quinlan's hair. I think it looks good. However, one thing does look a little questionable to me in pic #11. The hair seems to be in strands but is being pulled toward the center braid. You might want to connect those strands together.

Also, I took another look at Quinlan as a whole. The only thing I would change body-wise would be 1.) his belt could be lower and 2.) his waist and lower torso could be just a little wider (a little more beefed up).

But, all in all, I think you’ve done a very, very good job! :D

As far as skinning Quinlan, you could always contact Marz (or NeoMarz1 on the forums). He’s a great skinner, and is usually very willing to skin any Star Wars character. :)

Padawan_7
 DapperDanMan
11-25-2002, 8:49 PM
Nice work on this unique model. Keep it up man!!
 Rebel_Spy
11-25-2002, 10:43 PM
hey Padawan_7, dude, those are great ideas, I'll do something about the changes you suggest.
 Rebel_Spy
12-01-2002, 6:29 PM
Sorry, for not updates for a while, I've been kinda busy with college and some other things, but have done some modification nothing big for post.

Please, give all the feedback that you can. The UVW mapping is really a pain in the a.. however I think that I'm getting the edge on it. Also trying to find more tutorials, if someone can point to one it would be nice.
 Rebel_Spy
12-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Padawan_7, just a quick question:

What is more convenient ... 1. model the hair in strands, or 2. use shaders to make the strands, and so model the hair with less detail?

What do you think? I'll always apreciate your ideas. But, if anyone has an opinion about it, fell free to express it
 Padawan_7
12-04-2002, 11:36 AM
What is more convenient ... 1. model the hair in strands, or 2. use shaders to make the strands, and so model the hair with less detail?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Rebel_Spy. :D Well, I'm not a modeler or skinner, but I, for the most part, know the basics behind both. So, to answer your question, I don't believe it is possible to make strands of hair just out of shaders. Shaders can be used to make a nice hair effect, but actual thick strands of hair that are separate from each other will have to be modeled individually.

If you’re referring to Quinlan's strands of hair that goes down his back...in an above post, I had mentioned about them looking strange. The only reason that they looked strange was that the hair was in strands but appeared to be pulled back into the center braid. In this type of hairstyle, you shouldn't really be able to see any strands. So, if you would like hair stands back there, I would suggest just letting the separate hair strands fall vertically with the pull of gravity.

I hope that helps. :) Let me know if you have any more questions.
 Rebel_Spy
12-04-2002, 9:45 PM
yeah, I see, well let's stay with the hair braids...I going to finish the head and face this weekend, I have not much time to work on the model right now, cause all the final are coming next week, and my boss is all over my head with work.

Padawan_7, thanks for the support and the feedback!.
 Padawan_7
12-05-2002, 12:47 AM
No problem Rebel_Spy. I'm just glad I could help. :D
 Rebel_Spy
12-08-2002, 7:27 PM
I'm still busy with all the finals, just to keep you posted, I start a custom lightsaber hilt just to practice uvw mapping. I'm done with the boots, the pants, and the tabards. Need to make some adjusments in the chest and arms. I think I need more reference pics for the face, if someone is willing to help in this matter, please reply here or PMed me.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-08-2002, 7:41 PM
Rebel btw what program are u using if ur using GMax or Milkshape make it into a md3 and send it to someone with 3dsmax
if there willing to get it in-game coughDuncan_101358coughTooncescough
Good Luck m8 i like this model
 Rebel_Spy
12-08-2002, 7:52 PM
Actually, I have both Gmax and Milkshape, but I'm modeling Quin with Gmax, and yes when I get final in the models I will ask for help in the in-game issue. I'll do it myself, but right now I don't have 3dsmax and no way to get soon. If duncan or Toonces are willing to try, well I'll send the final model when its finished. But, you know, I also try to contact Darth Vigrid, he help me to get started and I know he had 3dsmax, hope he find some time to finish his joruus c'baoth and help me with quinlan, if he have the enough time, I know that he's kinda busy right now.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-08-2002, 7:57 PM
BUt one thing i figure u should know
Its inevident if u dont make it a map object a .md3 file they cannot import it into 3dsmax and no finish
 Rebel_Spy
12-08-2002, 8:00 PM
sorry, don't follow you in that, what I have to do to properly import my model in order to be loaded correctly in 3dsmax, can you elaborate more or point me to a some kind of tutorial?

thanks in advance.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-08-2002, 8:52 PM
MAke it a .md3 im not the one to ask how but ask around you wil get somewhere
 Rebel_Spy
12-09-2002, 3:13 PM
O.k. I found some tutorial about it. How to get player models into 3dsmax by Darth Bell. Is about properly import a .glm file in Milkshape and then import into 3dsmax, I think is pretty much the same issue here, but I check for others tuts, and maybe post some thread to get some answers.
 Psyk0Sith
12-09-2002, 3:58 PM
you can export as .3ds, .md3 is fine too.
 Rebel_Spy
12-10-2002, 2:20 PM
that's good I will do that when the right time will come. For the model I say that yesterday I take a little time to make some modifications as Padawan_7 kindly suggest.

I'm done with the face for now, I'm going to start the texturing and make the required modifications if any.

For the hair, well I fixed the back strands issue, but Gmax is kinda slow when I try to make some adds to the hair, I think I will remake the hair from scracth, and hopefully get less polys.

I'll post a new screenshot later in the day.

EDIT: sorry something come out at last time, so I think I will post those pics tomorrow, sorry again dudes.

Now, the Rebel is leaving the building....
 Rebel_Spy
12-14-2002, 9:55 PM
I apologize for the no-post lately. I'm just busy with work, and have no much time to work in Quin. Hopefully, I'm scheduled for vacation since december 17, so I'll do my best then.
 Rebel_Spy
12-31-2002, 10:03 AM
Well, I come back!.... for now, Iґm using my very old computer, so I donґt have much to work with. Iґm redoing the hair, because I just get problems with Gmax when I try to tweak the hair.

Expect some new pics soon, and Happy new year to everyone.
 MasterKoon237
01-18-2003, 10:20 AM
any updates?
Page: 1 of 4