Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Has this ever happened to you?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kylilin
11-12-2002, 1:18 PM
Yesterday I went to my girlfriends house after class, she left to go to work, and I still had a couple of hours until I had to go to work, so I decided to take a nap. When I wake up, I realize I can't move my body, but I know I am awake, because I can hear ESPN on the television. TO make a long story short, I am lying there trying to move my legs as hard as I have ever tried in my life to move them when they finally move a little, then a little more, then all the way. At that point, I guess my physical body decided to wake itself up, so I got up. It really bugged me out, because it happens to me every once in a while, and I get bugged out every time. Has this happened to anyone else?
 obi
11-12-2002, 5:05 PM
It's ESPN's fault. Stop watching it. :p

Seriously though, this is rather wierd, and I can't even begin to imagine the anxiety it would cause.
 Pad
11-12-2002, 7:17 PM
i dont know what that is pall. havent had somethin like that before.

sometimes my both legs r asleep, but thats it.
 ZBomber
11-12-2002, 8:42 PM
freaky... maybe your girlfriend is haunting you! :evil3:
 Kylilin
11-13-2002, 1:42 AM
hmmm...that would be just like her too...
 BeastMaster
11-13-2002, 10:04 AM
:wavey:

Ooh! ooh! ooh!

I've heard of this!!! There was a thing about it on TV in September (on The Learning Channel's "Supernatural Week").

It's called sleep paralysis. Y'see, when you sleep, part of your brain shuts down motor control, so that you don't "act out" what you're dreaming (people who sleepwalk obviously have a problem with this "cutoff"). Thing is, sometimes you regain consciousness in such a way that your conscious mind wakes up before your brain has shut off the paralysis. That's what seemed to happen to you.

It's usually associated with a sense of dislocation and movement (as if someone has picked you up and is carrying you). It often even includes visual and auditory hallucinations (there's someone else in the room). At some point during the experience, most people drift unknowingly back to sleep (their brain puts them out again so it can turn off the paralysis). It tends primarily to affect those who have a pronounced vulnerability to hypnosis (something to do with how the perception/consciousness centres are wired).

Skeptics have pointed to this as the "real" cause of Alien Abduction and Demonic Visitation experiences (the paralysis, someone in the room with you, levitation, movement through walls, etc).

:alismile:

Some of the stories the TV thing gave (from people who've had the experience) are just chilling.

One guy remembered waking up in his apartment, paralyzed. Thing is, he could hear other people in the room, whispering in some language he couldn't make out (he lived alone, BTW). Out of the corners of his eyes, he could see shadows darting around him --non-human shadows. Then, the shadows at the foot of his bed resolve into this massive form, with two red lights where the eyes should be. Then he actually felt this large, clawed hand grab his ankle (it was sticking out from under the covers) and drag him out of his bed, out of his room, and down the stairs. :rolleye1:: He could actually feel his head and shoulders bouncing down the stairs.

Then he suddenly woke up, in his bed, alone, in the middle of the night. :freakout::

Another woman reported waking up and seeing that one wall of her bedroom was just gone, replaced by an inferno, and that she saw someone dark and massive standing in the fire, staring at her.

:dev6:
 Wombat3
11-13-2002, 11:18 AM
that is SO weird.
 Arreat
11-13-2002, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by BeastMaster
:wavey:

Ooh! ooh! ooh!

I've heard of this!!! There was a thing about it on TV in September (on The Learning Channel's "Supernatural Week").

It's called sleep paralysis. Y'see, when you sleep, part of your brain shuts down motor control, so that you don't "act out" what you're dreaming (people who sleepwalk obviously have a problem with this "cutoff"). Thing is, sometimes you regain consciousness in such a way that your conscious mind wakes up before your brain has shut off the paralysis. That's what seemed to happen to you.

It's usually associated with a sense of dislocation and movement (as if someone has picked you up and is carrying you). It often even includes visual and auditory hallucinations (there's someone else in the room). At some point during the experience, most people drift unknowingly back to sleep (their brain puts them out again so it can turn off the paralysis). It tends primarily to affect those who have a pronounced vulnerability to hypnosis (something to do with how the perception/consciousness centres are wired).

Skeptics have pointed to this as the "real" cause of Alien Abduction and Demonic Visitation experiences (the paralysis, someone in the room with you, levitation, movement through walls, etc).

:alismile:

Some of the stories the TV thing gave (from people who've had the experience) are just chilling.

One guy remembered waking up in his apartment, paralyzed. Thing is, he could hear other people in the room, whispering in some language he couldn't make out (he lived alone, BTW). Out of the corners of his eyes, he could see shadows darting around him --non-human shadows. Then, the shadows at the foot of his bed resolve into this massive form, with two red lights where the eyes should be. Then he actually felt this large, clawed hand grab his ankle (it was sticking out from under the covers) and drag him out of his bed, out of his room, and down the stairs. :rolleye1:: He could actually feel his head and shoulders bouncing down the stairs.

Then he suddenly woke up, in his bed, alone, in the middle of the night. :freakout::

Another woman reported waking up and seeing that one wall of her bedroom was just gone, replaced by an inferno, and that she saw someone dark and massive standing in the fire, staring at her.

:dev6:

damn i was about to say the same thing... anywayz there was this other time where some guy suddenly woke up and there were some female demons sexually harasssing him... eeery... and another one where some guysaid he felt like being in hell where fire surrounded him and diablolical creatures surrounded him... kinda freaked me out

o and ive experienced it though... i had no visuals i was just paralyused for like 1 minute :D its kinda cool
Page: 1 of 1