Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Technical Question - TSOMI

Page: 1 of 1
 kev_stanley
11-05-2002, 7:50 AM
Hi all

Well before I realised you could download emulators and the like to run old games I went out and bought myself an old compaq presario (the all in one jobbie)

I dug out my old copy of MI and after scandisking the floppies to death I managed to install it.

However I can't get any sound :-(

Does anyone know if there is some way of specifying what IRQ, DMA, ports to use as the only reason I can think of that the sound doesn't work is because the programs trying to use unused ports.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated as I'm dying to get playing again!

Cheers
Kev

PS - The sound does work with some other old games.
 Yoghurt
11-05-2002, 8:10 AM
hmmmm,

I assume you run the games under dos right?

Be sure to have the soundblaster drivers properly installed in DOS, then be sure to start Monkey Island as:

monkey.exe g - for gameblaster (soundblaster)
monkey.exe a - for adlib
monkey.exe r - for roland
monkey.exe p - for pc speaker (am I right??)
 bgbennyboy
11-05-2002, 1:32 PM
Moved to help, look at threads in here for previous posts ive made about irq, dma etc.
Click show threads from the beginning.
If Yoghurt's reply doesnt tell you enough then reply here and i'll try and help you some more.
 kev_stanley
11-06-2002, 4:02 AM
Hi again

Firstly cheers for the help, I now have sound, however it resembles a dj scratching the wheels of steel. I'd better add that this is the 3 disk version of MI, 2 Double Density disks and a single density disk.

I'm guessing this is due to the IRQ or DMA settings as I've had this before with other games, the solution was to alter their values in a setup program.

However as MI doesn't have this I'm guessing I'll have to mix and match my settings till I find the right on, then knock up a batch file to change the settings and run MI all in one.

Don't suppose anyone knows the default Port, IRQ, and DMA values?

It would save me a bit of time when I get back from work!

Cheers
Kev
 bgbennyboy
11-06-2002, 8:26 AM
Well if you're talking soundblaster its usually:
Port 220
IRQ 7
DMA 1
 kev_stanley
11-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Cheers, I think mines the same except for IRQ = 5

I'll give it go a later and post how I get on

Thanks a lot!

Kev
 kev_stanley
11-07-2002, 4:48 AM
In the words of Brian Potter, Balls

Nothing seems to work, adlib causes a crash on divide by zero and roland complains one of the files is corrupt.

I don't think the scandisking of the 6 year old disks to get it installed in the 1st place can of really helped either.

Ebay here I come
 Yoghurt
11-07-2002, 7:42 AM
try to charter the cd-rom version - muchos better music :D
Page: 1 of 1