Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Spaceports

Page: 1 of 1
 Kiedo
10-24-2002, 12:30 PM
I had a thought about spaceports, how are they gonna stop etreme crowding at public spaceports, because, let's face it, a lot of people are going to be using interplanetary traveling, and until the Space expansion is released, I think that it may be pretty damn busy, I don't wanna have to wait in massive queues like I do in Runescape.

And another thing, are architects gonna be able to build their own spaceports? I mean, player cities are gonna need them, right?
 Wraith 8
10-24-2002, 2:32 PM
thats a good question Kieran... :D i mean Kiedo :p
Ill look into the FAQ to find anything about spaceports and i will post it here
 Kiedo
10-24-2002, 2:59 PM
Kieran? Who is Kieran?

*Me walks past and sees the Kieran lookalike*

Hey! That guy looks just like me! Ooh! That dog has a puffy tail! Heehee!

Anyway, that said, OK Wraith, you look, but i don't recall anything being on the FAQ about spaceports :p
 Wraith 8
10-24-2002, 5:29 PM
well i found some:

2.08 How will I manage space travel between planets before the space expansion is released?
Players will have access to public transports that will shuttle them between planets. For a given leg of interplanetary travel, the answer is between 3 and 5 minutes or so. Of course, some trips take multiple legs. For intra-planetary travel, if a planet has more than one spaceport, it's a minute or less. As far as what to do, we hope to have mini-games drawn from the continuity that you can play while en route.

5.27 What is the Marketplace?
The marketplace is an in-game auction system attached to spaceports. You can put items up for auction at the market, setting a time limit for the auction and a floor bid, or setting a single price if you want to make the item an "instant sale" item. You can browse auctions and sales from any marketplace terminal in the galaxy, but you have to go the spaceport where the item is in order to collect it after you buy it. The marketplace is not free - they take a cut off of any sale, and withdrawing an item once posted also costs credits.

And i read through the building FAQ.. and you can build a lot of buildings... but i dont think a spaceport is among them...

sorry....

-Wraith 8-
 Kiedo
10-24-2002, 5:34 PM
eh...whaddaya gonna do :D
 Trahern Valley
11-09-2002, 5:52 AM
Whaddathey could do is add spaceport-building to the architect's list in the space expansion. I mean, there's not much point in being able to build your own spaceport until people build their own ships to park in them, right?

I imagine allowing player-owned spaceports could produce some balancing issues, especially if they turn a profit. On the other hand, there's a whole lot of fun that could be had. "Prefer to avoid Imperial inspection of that there contraband in your YT-1300's cargo hold? Sure, you can use my spaceport...for a price. Don't worry, the Empire doesn't pay it much attention...no, they've never pulled a surprise raid. Really..."

Maybe I'm just hoping people will occasionally have to blast their way out of Mos Eisley, or something.

Edited to ask about the possibility of being able to visit the Kuat Drive Yards and other shipbuilding facilities...

Edited again to say: Ooo, first post as a sith probe droid...
 Wraith 8
11-09-2002, 10:58 AM
well... Kuat isnt on the planet list yet..

we have 8 planets right now.. and the devs said they were aiming at 9 to 12 on realease.

I think Kuat maybe added in the second realease/..... uhmm the space expansion.
 Jan Gaarni
11-09-2002, 1:54 PM
*taps Wraithy on the shoulder*

Yo, that was embarising, there's 9 planets. :D You're supposed to know these things. ;)

Just kidding. :p

Although, technically, there's 6 planets and 3 moons. :D
 Trahern Valley
11-09-2002, 3:32 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 8
I think Kuat maybe added in the second realease/..... uhmm the space expansion.

Thanks, that's what I meant.

And perhaps planetoids would work?
 Wraith 8
11-09-2002, 5:59 PM
hey Jan... the buttons are right next to eachother. :p :D
 Gaelin Masek
11-10-2002, 8:19 AM
Ha! Finally another Runescaper, people usually think I'm mad when I start talking about this dodgey 2D java game :P

I suppose the devs don't want an influx of these spaceports everywhere, for continuity purposes. Mos Espa was a pretty big town but that didnt have a port. You'd have to take the trip to Mos Eisley.

Just feels right that you would have to travel fairly far to a port, I guess thats because for me the nearest Airport is 3 hours away :P.
 Chriswok
12-10-2002, 7:11 AM
prehaps building permission from the towns governing body would be needed to build 'special' buildings such as spaceports, as spaceports will no doubt bring unwanted people to the town/city, which would effect its status type thing...
and hopefully, intelligent, reliable gamers will make it as mayors or moffs of planets, ones that won't go over the top and have a 56 spaceport planet, with on cantina that doesn't serve droids...:bdroid2: :rolleyes:
 Dr. Zaius
12-10-2002, 3:42 PM
I saw in an E3 movie that a person went into a player town and there was an interplanatery shuttle landed there, so I am assuming that you can have "spaceports" at a player town. However, a spaceport can simply be a landing area for a craft, you do not have to have massive structures for something to be a spaceport, only in the major cities (like Mos Eisley) will there actully be spaceports and docking bays.
 Dr. Zaius
12-10-2002, 3:42 PM
I saw in an E3 movie that a person went into a player town and there was an interplanatery shuttle landed there, so I am assuming that you can have "spaceports" at a player town. However, a spaceport can simply be a landing area for a craft, you do not have to have massive structures for something to be a spaceport, only in the major cities (like Mos Eisley) will there actully be spaceports and docking bays.
 Lord Helmet
12-10-2002, 4:30 PM
if you're player town can becoem big enough where you can build a spaceport...so thats not true..
Page: 1 of 1