Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hogwarts WIP

Page: 1 of 5
 Eldritch
10-19-2002, 4:10 PM
Just started this today... still finding textures and playing around, but this is just a start.

http://www.msnusers.com/hogwartsWIP/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1)

I'm gonna need lots of help with textures... i'm no good at making them, so if anyone wants to help that would be VERY much appreciated.
 Quotation
10-19-2002, 4:38 PM
Looks promising. How did you create the arches?
 Eldritch
10-19-2002, 4:40 PM
They're just bevels that I played around with and put caps on.

This map will eventually be huge, and there doesn't seem to be any existing textures that I can use - they just don't go with it. I have some reference pics but i'm gonna need more - a lot more.

-Anakin
 Quotation
10-19-2002, 5:34 PM
Thanks. I'm working on a similar concept with the map I'm working on..

I'll get you a few reference pictures...

Google Image Search: Handy (http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=Hogwarts&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=0&sa=N)
 Eldritch
10-19-2002, 5:37 PM
Thanks... i've already robbed Google blind of pics, LOL.
 ZBomber
10-19-2002, 6:04 PM
I gave him the idea! :D

I'll start looking for pics, and I'll TRY to get DVD pictures.
 __CKY__
10-19-2002, 10:42 PM
That looks really good i wanna play at Hogwarts now :) good luck with it all ill be dling this level:urpdude:
 Eldritch
10-19-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by __CKY__
That looks really good i wanna play at Hogwarts now :) good luck with it all ill be dling this level:urpdude:

Thanks. If you want to speed it up, grab me some reference pics. Whoever gets me a map of the actual floorplan of Hogwarts would be my God. I'm gonna go looking in bookstores and libraries to see if there's anything I can use as well. Still have no volunteers for help, with one or two exceptions. :(

-Anakin
 Chewie Bakker
10-20-2002, 11:03 AM
JEDI_Anakin_S: My girlfriend has a very large collection of Harry Potter images, including images of the original cathedrals they 'borrowed' the design from, other production shots, and even the banners/standards of the four houses. I can get some for you if you so wish.
:animelol: (bakkerluke@hotmail.com)
The Harry Potter Lexicon (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/) has a maps (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/atlas-h.html) section that might be of use to you. My girlfriend recommends starting at this one (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/atlas-h-ground.html).
:animelol: (bakkerluke@hotmail.com)
Good luck with the map. :thumbs1:

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 Chewie Bakker
10-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

Thanks. If you want to speed it up, grab me some reference pics. Whoever gets me a map of the actual floorplan of Hogwarts would be my God. I'm gonna go looking in bookstores and libraries to see if there's anything I can use as well. Still have no volunteers for help, with one or two exceptions. :(

-Anakin

You gonna bow to your god? ;P

Anakin you can contact me via e-mail (or through private message, whichever takes your fancy), and let me know what "volunteers" you're after.
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 1:06 PM
Originally posted by Chewie Bakker

You gonna bow to your god? ;P

Anakin you can contact me via e-mail (or through private message, whichever takes your fancy), and let me know what "volunteers" you're after.

:bounce1: *bows* *bows* *bows* I don't know how you (or your girlfriend) found the Lexicon, but it will be immensely helpful. :D
I'm sending you a PM now about details, or you can check in the other thread for Help with the Hogwarts Map also.

-Anakin
 __CKY__
10-20-2002, 4:04 PM
If I could I would take the extra thing where you tour around Hogwarts as a special feature on the DVD but I don't have the equipment but i'll still look for something.

:dev6:
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 4:14 PM
You only tour the Gryffindor Common Room and one of the bedrooms, and it's horribly blurry. If the rest of Hogwarts was mapped like that, i'd use it, but there are better sources of reference pics.

-Anakin
 Andy867
10-20-2002, 6:29 PM
Hey Jedi_Anakin_S, just wanted to let you know that I made a post on the main site about your request for texture artists and a few good modelers. And I posted a link to the thread for people to check out the WIP.
 Professor Snape
10-20-2002, 6:39 PM
yo dude this is awesome. I was wondering. Is tehre only the one pic or are there more?
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
Hey Jedi_Anakin_S, just wanted to let you know that I made a post on the main site about your request for texture artists and a few good modelers. And I posted a link to the thread for people to check out the WIP.

Thanks a bunch Andy! :D

And Anakin-Davin, I just started on it yesterday, and there's not enough new stuff to post a new picture. Soon though. :)
 Professor Snape
10-20-2002, 8:01 PM
aight thats fine. We need some harry potter models for this. I wanna be hagrid!
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 9:39 PM
Just uploaded a new picture, as i've started working on the Great Hall.
I still have to make the tables longer, they're not quite long enough.

-Anakin
 Eldritch
10-21-2002, 11:34 AM
There's now a website for the Hogwarts WIP that the screenshots are on... here's the link

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk/)
 littledragoon
10-21-2002, 1:39 PM
This is gonna be awesome! And yes; we do need models to go along with it. I definately wanna be Hagrid.:D

~The Little Dragoon~
<><

"I am Spartan
 Altus_Thrawn
10-21-2002, 4:24 PM
Good luck...
 Eldritch
10-21-2002, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
Good luck...

Uh, thanks...
 Eldritch
10-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Site updated with pic number 3... it's an early build of one of the staircases.

http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk)
 __CKY__
10-21-2002, 11:30 PM
:D They all look really good dude see if i were to try that it would be a big block of black lol
 Yugioh79
10-22-2002, 11:23 AM
Can't you just find the textures used for the Harry Potter game for the pc? They could be deep inside some file just like all the skins are for Jk2. or are the textures to cartoonish? That would be the easy way out... :p :ewok:
 Chewie Bakker
10-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Looking good.

Lemme know if/when you need my help. You know where to e-mail me ;)

:aobi: This weapon is you life. :saberb:
 Eldritch
10-22-2002, 5:05 PM
Originally posted by Yugioh79
Can't you just find the textures used for the Harry Potter game for the pc? They could be deep inside some file just like all the skins are for Jk2. or are the textures to cartoonish? That would be the easy way out... :p :ewok:

Welcome to the forums, Yugioh. :D

Couple of problems with your suggestion:
1) I don't have the Harry Potter game for the PC (nor do I really want it, lol... but if someone has it and could check out your suggestion, it might help)
2) IF there are textures in the PC game for Harry Potter, they may not work, or may be too blurry or something. I'd have to see them to know.

On a side note, i've finally caved in on the textures thing and gotten to work on it myself... not sure how it will turn out, but hopefully you'll be able to tell for yourself later tonight. WhiteShdw has offered to help me with some textures, but he's also currently busy with the DotF version 2 map working with Shadriss. That's all for now.
 __CKY__
10-22-2002, 6:01 PM
You can take textures out of other games? :confused:
 Eldritch
10-22-2002, 6:02 PM
You can take textures out of other games? :confused:

It depends on the game. Some you can, some you have to go thru a lot of trouble if you wanted a specific texture. It all depends.
 Cagliostro
10-22-2002, 7:06 PM
http://www.davegh.com/)

Free textures, many are stone, etc. I think he only asks you mention him in the text file as a source.
 Eldritch
10-22-2002, 9:49 PM
Small update to the website, new screenshot posted. I've started texturing the great hall with some of the new textures i've been working with.

http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk)
 __CKY__
10-23-2002, 12:23 AM
That us really good looking dude it looks perfect to me what else do you have to add in to that room or is it done?:)
 James Brophy
10-23-2002, 4:46 AM
if you want i can take some screenies of harry potter the game, P.S it is my brothers game he is 7 plz dont flame me for having harry potter :D :o
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 10:25 AM
That us really good looking dude it looks perfect to me what else do you have to add in to that room or is it done?:)

It's not even nearly done. There's still about a zillion things to add. If I left it like that I'd get laughed at - plus it only vaguely looks like the room right now. That was just to show how it looked with some textures that weren't from JO.

And James, screenies would be nice... as many as you can get from as many of the areas of the castle as you can get. And if you have it on PC, perhaps you could look in the folder where it's installed to see if there's any texture folder. If so, contact me right away (I can tell you how to copy them out so I can possibly use them). Both things would be a great help.
 James Brophy
10-23-2002, 11:24 AM
i can get lots of screenies but i need like an area inside outside or quidditch field or wat?:confused: :D
 Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 11:27 AM
This is a texture site i found
http://www.noctua-graphics.de/english/freetex_e.htm)
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Quidditch field and most outdoors areas will most likely not be included in the map, as it would be too difficult. However, if this changes, I'll let you know.

I basically need as many screenshots of the inside as you can get - Great hall, entrance hall, House common rooms, classrooms, hallways, etc.

Take pictures of EVERYTHING (close ups too if something is too small) - architecture, paintings, stones in the ceiling, wall or floor, rugs, the more pictures you get, the more accurate I can make the level.
 Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 4:22 PM
I just downloaded the Harry Potter game and i have found the textures for the game. I will get them up to a site so you can download them.
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 4:59 PM
That would be great. Or you can email them to me - it's up to you. Click the little 'email' button right below my post if you want to do that.
 Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 6:31 PM
Na i have already uploaded them and i hope you have cable because before i zip them they where 99 mb. but now after the zip they are about 64mb. i had to brake them up into 6 diff zips because i had to make up 6 different names to upload them all to tripod. but the viewer is in the 6th zip file.

here it is http://yugioh796.tripod.com/index.html) ..
:p
 Elijah
10-23-2002, 7:51 PM
People say i look like Draco... or what ever his name is, becuse of my hair... yea i wont bore you with my life :D
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
People say i look like Draco... or what ever his name is, becuse of my hair... yea i wont bore you with my life :D

You've got blonde hair slicked back? Interesting.

And Yugioh, I do have cable, dling them now. Thanks for your hard work - you'll be sure to get a mention in the readme when it's released. :D
 Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 8:16 PM
I just uploaded some screenshots of the entrance hall. http://yugioh796.tripod.com/)
 Altus_Thrawn
10-23-2002, 8:20 PM
I wish I could help make this map somehow, but the only thing I can do is map, but not as well as the screenshots show that you can...
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 8:20 PM
You'll have to post a link to the screenshots (just like the other .zips)... Tripod won't allow me to do a remote download. :(

Altus, I may be able to use your help with some parts of the mapping... I just need to get a little organized, and I need some time to sort through this mountain of information that Yugioh just got for me. Email or PM a way to contact you and I'll give you details when I have it.
 Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 8:25 PM
I just edited the url and thanks JEDI_Anakin_S. I just wish i could do more like make some of the map but im a newb to map making and modding.
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 8:30 PM
Originally posted by Yugioh79
I just edited the url and thanks JEDI_Anakin_S. I just wish i could do more like make some of the map but im a newb to map making and modding.

Well, you were able to put together this pretty well... can you make textures or model? Because I do need a couple of different things... those these textures are fantastic, it's going to take me forever to go through them, lol.
 Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 8:36 PM
Im kind of good with photo shop so i guess i could do some of the textures. Just tell me what you want to be done. If you do not want me to do anything tonight then i will take more screen shots in the game.
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 8:56 PM
No, nothing for tonight. I just want to work on the textures... if you can just keep taking screenshots, i'm going to put together sort of a map... so I know how to build it, what goes where, what textures to use... it will save a lot of time later on.

:EDIT: Looking at the screenshots, don't worry about closeups of paintings and stuff... I need more of the big picture of where stuff goes, especially in the Dining Hall and the rest of Hogwarts hallways, staircases, etc...
 Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 10:18 AM
Sorry for not getting the dining hall yet. I have to play the game to get into the new places so i'm trying to hurry through the game so i can get there. I got more screen shots last night and i will post them when i get home from school. :bored: Do you want any pics of the outside? Like outside the main entrance door. :rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 5