Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Taking screenshots?

Page: 1 of 1
 mindovereasy
10-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Sorry for the n00b question, but how would one go about taking screenshots of old LucasArts games? What program can I use to do this? Thanks.

Jordee :guybrush:
 bgbennyboy
10-14-2002, 10:26 AM
It does depend on your os.
The easiest way of course is to run them in scummvm then hit the print screen key and paste into a paint package of your choice.

HypersnapDx is the other good screenshot-taking proggy, however I dont think it works with dos-based games (certainly not on 2k/xp anyway) so it'll probably only work for cmi/grim/emi.

I cant remember the name of any decent dos-screen-grabbers atm, though there are some of course.

Bottom line, just use scummvm and the prtscrn key.
 mindovereasy
10-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Well that takes care of single screenshots. Thanks.

I should have been more specific. I'm running WinXP and was interested in a program for the DOS games that can take multiple screens. I'm interested in making animated gifs.

Thanks for the help.

bgbennyboy
10-14-2002, 10:55 AM
If your doing animated gifs it might be easier to use a costume ripper or similar (see lucashacks) to rip all the frames of animation for a sprite then make it into a gif, thats how I did my avatar anyway.
 gidierre
10-14-2002, 12:30 PM
HypersnapDx is fine but if there's one thing it can't possibly do is take any dos game screenshots.

mindovereasy :
if you're running WinXP and want a dos screen grabber, well I'm afraid you'd better run the dos game... in dos :(

There are dos TSR (terminate_and_stay_resident) programs who can take multiple screenshots, anyway.
The best to my direct knowledge is a shareware called Pcxdump v. 9.31, which when launched in a dos session dumps the screen capture(s) to guess what, pcx files.
It doesn't properly run under Windows though, and although it's pretty customizable and relatively user-friendly and dependable, be warned that definitely not every videoadaptor will be supported : I've used it a lot with an old S3 ViRGE, and also with a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee card , but for instance there's no way I can take advantage of it with a Nvidia GeForce 2 chip.

Hoping this may help ;)
 mindovereasy
10-15-2002, 6:44 AM
Thanks alot for the info guys! I'll see what I can conjure up with it.

Page: 1 of 1