Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anchorhead / Toschi Station

Page: 2 of 3
 monsoontide
10-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Hi All,

Yup everyone 'cept me seems to get that crash!

Which is why I have some BAD NEWS.

The update I had planned to release tonight will have to wait til I get this problem sorted out.

(Meanwhile this is a great opportunity to send more more feedback to incorporate!!!)

Really need to beat this problem if SAGA mode is going to be viable.

Am just in the process of widening the platform with the railings where the skyhopper is located!

Monsoontide

P.S. Gonkish: I need to fix this problem with SAGA or else there's no point sending you the map!
 Kengo
10-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Gonkish

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512mb DDR RAM
GeForce 3
Cable (i.e., 20mb = no problem)

Off subject I know but nice machine! :D
 SunBurN
10-18-2002, 5:05 PM
That's almost identical to mine!

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
768mb DDR RAM
GeForce 3 TI 200 128mb DDR
80 gigs HD space
Cable 1.54mb

SunBurN
 keo718
10-18-2002, 5:32 PM
Yours is very similair to mine as well Sunburn....

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512 mb DDR RAM
GeForce 4 TI 4400 128mb DDR
80 GB HDrive
 monsoontide
10-18-2002, 5:56 PM
I Guess I'm The Odd One Out!

Win XP Pro
1.3gig P4
384MB ram
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
56K Dialup!

Sigh!

Monsoontide
 SunBurN
10-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone, well i'd still like to host, but it looks like it will have to be later (like 12 or 12:30) tonight/morning :)

I'll come on here around midnight and see who all is going to participate.

SunBurN
 Eldritch
10-19-2002, 2:13 AM
Sunburn,

You had to reinstall it to fix the problem with the menus.txt thing? 'Cause i'm just starting to get it... I don't understand, it was working just yesterday...

-Anakin
 SunBurN
10-19-2002, 4:06 AM
yeah it was the weirdest thing. All of a sudden, every time I tried to join a game it gave me that error. Coincidentally I had just loaded the 1.04 update and I was thinking maybe it took out? Anyway I had to completely uninstall it and the reinstall. And it didn't take the first couple of times. I had to go into the registry and delete a key that was still in there. After that, the next install worked. Good luck!

SunBurN
 Leslie Judge
10-19-2002, 10:07 AM
monsoontide you are not alone. :) Watch this:

WinXP Pro
1.2 GHz Celeron (Tualatin)
512 MB RAM
nVidia GeForce2 MX400
40 GB HDD
cable 384/64
 Leslie Judge
10-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Oh, and what about the updated pk3? I ask because I can't connect to the ftp site to check myself. Wrong password...
 Eldritch
10-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SunBurN
yeah it was the weirdest thing. All of a sudden, every time I tried to join a game it gave me that error. Coincidentally I had just loaded the 1.04 update and I was thinking maybe it took out? Anyway I had to completely uninstall it and the reinstall. And it didn't take the first couple of times. I had to go into the registry and delete a key that was still in there. After that, the next install worked. Good luck!

SunBurN

Which registry key was it, and how do I go in there?
 SunBurN
10-19-2002, 3:28 PM
sorry, I don't remember exactly which key it was or where it exactly it was. I remember desperately searching deep into the registry until I found something that said something about lucasarts. It could've been coincidental because I also used to have Starwars Starfighter installed and it could've been from that.

Anyway, what I ended up doing (since I didn't want to loose the stuff in the base directory) was copied the entire "lucars arts" folder to another drive, renamed it, and then did an uninstall. I may not have needed to, but then I did a full reinstall to a DIFFERENT directory (just in case there was something still pathed in the registry to the old path) and then it worked. So I guess you could try that. I still haven't installed update 1.04 yet...but I guess I'm going to have to. I hope this helps! :)

SunBurN

btw, to get into the registry, depending on which operating system you have, try one of the following:

go to start/run and type in: regedit

or if you're on Win2k/ NT OS you can type in regedit or regedt32.

once you're in, look at HKey_local_machine/software

and Hkey_current_user/software. Look for something that looks like it pertains to lucasarts.

then IF you want to delete a key, click on edit/delete up above from the drop down menu.

Remember, it's always good to do a back up of your registry before you mess with it..just in case you screw something up. Save a copy to your HD somewhere and to a floppy if possible. There should be an option for that under the 'registry' drop down menu. Also remember, don't be afraid of the registry, but be careful what you do because one wrong move, and you cause your OS to crash after you reboot and become unrepairable.

Good luck.
 monsoontide
10-19-2002, 3:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, the UPDATE compile is complete - I am just goning to give it a whirl, then I will make a entirely new PK3 file (At the mo I'm just using the old one and it has lots of unecessary textures in it).

So once I've done the bot routing (Should take a couple more hours), I'll upload the UPDATE!!!

Monsoontide.
 SunBurN
10-19-2002, 3:42 PM
Sounds great! :)

SunBurN
 monsoontide
10-19-2002, 11:49 PM
TESTERS!

I'm uploading the UPDATE now!

I'll post a further message when it's ready for download!

Monsoontide
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
TESTERS!

I'm uploading the UPDATE now!

I'll post a further message when it's ready for download!

Monsoontide

Can't wait! I'm so glad i'm a beta tester right now... :yeldance:

-Anakin
 SunBurN
10-20-2002, 1:05 AM
Did you change the password?
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 1:09 AM
Yeah, I can't connect either.
 monsoontide
10-20-2002, 1:14 AM
TESTERS:

UPDATE now available for download!
:monkey4:
Same place as before!

If you have problems accessesing or password problems, let me know straight away by e-mailing me.

Hope you like this one!

Monsoontide.
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 1:23 AM
Darn! I'm gonna miss out until tomorrow morning. Can't wait to play it, just the same.

-Anakin
 monsoontide
10-20-2002, 1:27 AM
SunBurn mentioned he might host again tonight with the new file, so if you're awake... and the new file works for you might be fun to join in.

BTW Please read the UPDATE readme before installing!

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
10-20-2002, 1:33 AM
AARRRGGGH!

Please e-mail me for the new username & password for the server!

Monsoontide
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 1:52 AM
Email sent! Let me know ASAP!

-Anakin
 SunBurN
10-20-2002, 5:20 AM
Ok, an update to tonights events:

I hosted and I'm happy to say the map rocks and is near perfect!

The problem is, Monsoontide could not connect, he kept getting the ui/menus.txt error. So he reinstalled and tried to rejoin (even in regular mode and games) but to no avail.

So, after numerous attempts, he gave up for the night and went to bed. So I decided to try joining from my wife's computer since I had reinstalled everything on it when I reinstalled mine and everything was working again as far as joining and not receiving that error message.

OK I tried to join from my other computer and guess what...I got the ui/menus error again. So I thought, ok, I reinstalled everything..it was working before I updated to 1.04...then it hit me...I also had to change the assets1.pk3 gameinfo.txt on the server (my computer) so saga mode would work and show up in the menu options. So I went in and changed the assets.pk3 on my wife's comp and then reconnected....and it worked!

So if you don't know how to do this. Drag your assets1.pk3 from your base dir to the desktop. (For me, leaving it in the base directory always gave me an error and wouldn't let me save changes).

then go into it and extract gameinfo.txt to your desktop.

add { "Saga" 6 } to the list in two places...it's pretty obvious where it goes. Below is an example:

// Game type info
//
// description, g_gametype enum
//
// 0 - GT_FFA, // free for all
// 1 - GT_HOLOCRON, // ffa with holocrons
// 2 - GT_JEDIMASTER, // jedi master
// 3 - GT_TOURNAMENT, // one on one tournament
// 4 - GT_SINGLE_PLAYER, // single player ffa
// 5 - GT_TEAM, // team ffa
// 6 - GT_SAGA, // saga
// 7 - GT_CTF, // capture the flag
// 8 - GT_CTY, // capture the ysalimari

gametypes {
{ "Free For All" 0 }
{ "Holocron FFA" 1 }
{ "Jedi Master" 2 }
{ "Duel" 3 }
{ "Team FFA" 5 }
{ "Saga" 6 }
{ "Capture the Flag" 7 }
{ "Capture the Ysalimari" 8 }
}

// english name, map name, vs count, par times per gametype valid gametyes for ui
//
maps
{
{ "Bespin" "ffa_bespin" "3" "Kyle" 2 "0" 4 "240" 5 "180" 6 "180" 7 "180" }
}

joingametypes {
{ "All" -1 }
{ "Free For All" 0 }
{ "Holocron FFA" 1 }
{ "Jedi Master" 2 }
{ "Duel" 3 }
{ "Saga" 6 }
{ "Team FFA" 5 }
{ "Capture the Flag" 7 }
{ "Capture the Ysalimari" 8 }
}

Once you've changed this, on your desktop, create folder and name it "ui". Then go in to that folder and create another folder "jk2mp". Then put the updated gameinfo.txt file into the "jk2mp" folder you just created and then add the "ui" folder (containing jk2mp/gameinfo.txt) to your assets1.pk3. (**Note, overwrite if it asks you to, if it doesn't for some reason, delete the old gameinfo.txt then try readding it.)

Then move your assest1.pk3 back into the base folder. That's it.

The path inside your assets1.pk3 should look like this:

gameinfo.txt ui\jk2mp\

After that it should work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

SunBurN
 Gandel
10-20-2002, 8:38 AM
could you e-mail me it ? GandelEQ@aol.com

cant sign on your FTP site :/ dunno why
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 1:16 PM
The password you emailed doesn't work for me, monsoontide. Did you change it?
 SunBurN
10-20-2002, 2:26 PM
make sure 'caps' aren't on.
 Eldritch
10-20-2002, 3:21 PM
make sure 'caps' aren't on.

I did. I typed it exactly, a million different ways... nothing works.
 SunBurN
10-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Here is the link I have

ftp://sasha@68.4.22.173/Monsoontide/JK2/
 SunBurN
10-20-2002, 11:34 PM
I just tested it and got right in. Make sure NO caps are used for either user or pass.
 monsoontide
10-20-2002, 11:41 PM
1. Should I change the secret tunnel from behind the bar in the BLUE base to a slide?

2. Should I swap the BLUE skyhopper objective and the RED tractor beam objective (So that BLUE can destroy the tractor beam!)?

3. Are there enough SAGA objectives?
 Eldritch
10-21-2002, 12:19 AM
1. Should I change the secret tunnel from behind the bar in the BLUE base to a slide?

2. Should I swap the BLUE skyhopper objective and the RED tractor beam objective (So that BLUE can destroy the tractor beam!)?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. There are enough. If there's a couple people playing, it will take a long time to meet the objectives, so 3 is good for now (I think). :)

-Anakin
 monsoontide
10-21-2002, 12:48 AM
Finally managed to have a game vs SunBurn - very cool.
The ui/jk2mp/gameinfo.txt files have to be identical to the ones on the server! I'll make sure this is noted in the release!
We tested SAGA (Which with just two people playing and a few bots - who need re routing, turns into a bit of a race!)
and JEDIMASTER which was also good fun!

Thanks for the answers Jedi_Anakin_S
If you want to try and join SunBurns server, get him to send you his ui/jk2mp/gameinfo.txt (And instructions if you need them)

Btw... there's currently 4 saga objectives per team.

Goodnight all.

Monsoontide!
 Eldritch
10-21-2002, 8:21 AM
Finally managed to have a game vs SunBurn - very cool.
The ui/jk2mp/gameinfo.txt files have to be identical to the ones on the server! I'll make sure this is noted in the release!
We tested SAGA (Which with just two people playing and a few bots - who need re routing, turns into a bit of a race!)
and JEDIMASTER which was also good fun!

Thanks for the answers Jedi_Anakin_S
If you want to try and join SunBurns server, get him to send you his ui/jk2mp/gameinfo.txt (And instructions if you need them)

Btw... there's currently 4 saga objectives per team.

Goodnight all.

Monsoontide!

Sent you a PM, monsoontide... the password you emailed me hasn't worked for me, so I have been unable to download the updated map. Can ya help me out?

-Anakin
 Kengo
10-21-2002, 9:53 AM

1. Not sure...

2. I guess the blue team removing the tractor beam makes more sense, and both objectives are in a similar area so it shouldn't effect the nice balance of the two side's objectives too much

3, I think a definate yes, even with just a few people who know what they are doing getting all the objectives isn't quick and easy, and with team of say 5 a side or more there can be defence of objectives too, and people going for different objectives, and so 4 each side will provide tons and tons of depth of playability and tactics. Any more than 4 objectives on a map this side could just get a bit confusing, I think 4 per side is about right :)
 SunBurN
10-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Any more than 4 objectives on a map this side could just get a bit confusing, I think 4 per side is about right

Yep, I agree! It took me awhile to remember all of the objectives for both sides, but I think I got it now! :)

I played it all day yesterday with my son (connected from our other computer) and I'm happy to say, there are NO major flaws! There is a few problems with the bots getting stuck in certain places, mainly in the outrider, but the creator is aware of this and is working on fixing this problem.

Monsoontide was finally able to connect after I sent him my gameinfo.txt file. It appears that the user has to have the same gameinfo.txt file as the server. Not sure why this is, but if you need me to send you mine, email me at: myownweatheredprison@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you.

Now for the big news....I beat the creator...hehe...only once though...he won 2 out of 3 times. pretty fun racing to get the objectives before him. I was fine unless I fell off a tower or catwalk, or ran into the bots we added that were "hanging out" in and around the outrider. Anyway, it was fun!

It would be fun if it was a downward spiraling slide that ended falling in a pool of water :)

SunBurN
 monsoontide
10-21-2002, 6:16 PM
Still waiting on feedback from a couple of people.

You know who you are;)

Thanks to all who have been sending feedback - I still making changes based on your advice and bug testing - Not long til release date now (NOV 1).

(Then I can finish of the Scout Trooper Model & Blaster I'm working on!) :speeder:

Monsoontide
 Eldritch
10-21-2002, 6:35 PM
And you can help me with my project! LOL :D

-Anakin
 monsoontide
10-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick heads up... I need All your feedback by SUNDAY if at all possible so I spend the last week implementing /tweaking/bugfixing!!!

:deathii:

I'm currently thinking of making a couple of the objectives trigger other things (Like Doors) but am not sure yet. Have to try to keep the game balanced! I think it might be easier being on BLUE currently - What do you think (red easier / Blue Easier?)

Monsoontide
 SunBurN
10-23-2002, 4:51 PM
I think they're pretty balanced. With Red you have to go to cantina, way high up in tower, slave 1 and outrider and Blue you have to go to repair shop, way high up in sky hopper, Toschi sta. control room, and slave 1. Both teams have to go to pretty much the same areas to complete their objectives, so it seems pretty balanced to me.
 Kengo
10-23-2002, 5:57 PM
I think they're pretty balanced. With Red you have to go to cantina, way high up in tower, slave 1 and outrider and Blue you have to go to repair shop, way high up in sky hopper, Toschi sta. control room, and slave 1. Both teams have to go to pretty much the same areas to complete their objectives, so it seems pretty balanced to me.

I'd agree myself, I think you'd be hard pushed to get it much more balanced
 Leslie Judge
10-23-2002, 7:19 PM
My feedback was sent couple of minutes ago. :)
 monsoontide
10-23-2002, 7:30 PM
Excellent screenshots Leslie!
Very helpful.
Just looking over everything now!

One more question for ALL TESTERS.

What names would you prefer to be credited as?

PM me or e-mail me!

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
10-23-2002, 7:38 PM
Does anyone know how to start BOT EDITING in any game mode other than FFA :confused:

A copule of reply comments from the screenshots.

1. You're supposed to be able to get through the "window" on the imperial base, though I may change that - as it's a bit too easy to get to the generator that way. (Comments on this?)

2. BOTS are stupid! (Actually I'm still working on refining the Bot routes as it really hard to get them to do what I want!)

3. Z-Fighting/Caulking/Lighting - I'll try and take care of all these issues. (In the New DOOM 3 Radiant, you can actually see the lighting & effects in the 3D preview window! - Can't wait til it comes out!)

4. I can only stop the lifts at two points without scripting them.

I'm just going to read the questionaire now!

Thanks again.
Monsoontide
 mariners2001
10-23-2002, 7:44 PM
hey monsoontide,

i love the map. i wrote a huge long reply to your questionaire but before i could send it you released a new version. and remarkably all of the bugs i reports in my response were cleaned up in the new version. i think the map is incredible and i can't find much to fix or change now that you've updated. however, i'll get you a new response by sunday, though it won't be that long now that it is nearly perfect. great job!

PS. mariners2001 is fine listed in credit
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 8:17 PM
monsoontide,

You have me listed in 2 places under beta testers in the readme... JEDI_Anakin_S and chris jahosky - i'm just one person, lol. Just so you can fix it.
 Kengo
10-23-2002, 8:19 PM
2. BOTS are stupid! (Actually I'm still working on refining the Bot routes as it really hard to get them to do what I want!)

3. Z-Fighting/Caulking/Lighting - I'll try and take care of all these issues. (In the New DOOM 3 Radiant, you can actually see the lighting & effects in the 3D preview window! - Can't wait til it comes out!)

2. Having worked on bot routing a bit myself recently, I heartily agree! I found it a challenge to move them around my extremely simple map, your map is extremely complex and getting bots acting like humans in it is some kind of challenge in itself! Bots just aren't very flexible, it's like trying to train an army of squirrels how to spell out S.O.S. (when seen from the air).

3. I think the quality of your overal build really shows through in how few z-fighting or lighting issues there are (I can't actually remember spotting any myself). That seeing lighting and effects in the 3d preview would be amazing :D
 Leslie Judge
10-24-2002, 1:13 PM
A copule of reply comments from the screenshots.

1. You're supposed to be able to get through the "window" on the imperial base, though I may change that - as it's a bit too easy to get to the generator that way. (Comments on this?)

4. I can only stop the lifts at two points without scripting them.

1. Yeah, I think so. Make it harder! :)

2. Erm... in SAGA doesn't they have to go to the objectives? I took a look in your .saga file and it said that. So I was wondering why that bot wich is on one of the screenshots doesn't stay near that one it was passing by always.

It's OK that the bots are too stupid to find their way, it wasn't easy even for me. :)

3. Funny. :) When I saw OpenGL lighting in GtkRadiant for the first time I thought that means I can see the lighting effects in 3D view so I turned it on. :)

4. OK. Then isn't better if player couldn't call the lift at the middle door? It is not too high above the below platform. (Or func_train? :))
 SunBurN
10-24-2002, 11:15 PM
In my humble opinion, the window to toschi sta control room IS what keeps things balanced! If Blue didn't have that access, then they would have a bit further to travel and manuver through than red team. Since all red has to do is go to the two ships up there...that can be done very easily by (after getting the yalmisari from the slave 1) going out and jumping up to the next walkway...then it's a short run to the outrider and then, two objectives are complete.

I think you should leave the window in and accessable to the control room .

SunBurN
 monsoontide
10-25-2002, 4:34 AM
Just updating with a lsit of changes I've recently made.

1. There is now a stairway halfway between the RED & BLUE bases leading from level 1 to level 2. (There are pickups in the stairway)

2. I've changed the secret door in BLUE base (That was behind the bar) into a more obvious trap door behind the bar, that leads to a slide the empties you out at street level! It will only open when the rebels deactivate the generator objective!

3. The landspeeder is now out in the street and the pod engine is inside the workshop with another one and an energy binder between the two that will hurt if you walk through it!

4. There is - in theory an explosion in the Outriders engine when the RED team completes that objective - I can't tell if it works properly though as it's outside and I'm inside when I activate it!!! (It does go BOOM though!)

5. When the red team activates the Tractor Beam an effect appears 'zapping' the Outrider.

6. Added a speeder bike by the Slave1 towing the frozen Han Solo. (Just for my own amusement really!)

7. There are now 3 air VENTS alaong the crater walls that will PUSH the player over the edge if the player forgets to jump over the vent.

8. Changed the rotating thingy in the tractor beam thingy to an energy effect (So I can use the fun_brushes for something else - I think I only have one or two left before hitting the limit that will crash the map!!!)

9. I've added more junk in the junkyard, made the jukebox in the bar prettier, added a few more lights in the RED base and am in general tidy up / finish off phase.

ANY LAST FEEDBACK / REQUESTS FOR CHANGES / FIXES? ;)

NB: The bots can't get to all the objectives owing to the fact that I haven't worked out how to bot edit in any mode except for FFA!

Monsoontide.
Page: 2 of 3