Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Term "PADAWAN"

Page: 1 of 1
 Psionic Jedi
10-06-2002, 2:48 AM
Has anyone ever heard the word "Padawan" come up in the original Trilogy???

I always thought the "lesser Jedi in training" was called an Apprentice... :confused: I even noted the rank in JK1, you were called a Jedi APPRENTICE not a Padawan.

And now in the Prequels everyone's calling everyone else a Padawan learner, I keep wondering where that word came from.

Maybe it's something GL thought up at breakfast: you know how writers sometimes think up arbitrary words to string together and form a name for something...

Also, MIDICHLORIANS (sp?) sounds like a cross between Mitochondria and Chloroplast :rolleyes:

Maybe the study of Midichlorians and the tradition of calling your apprentices "Padawans" were forgotten after the clone wars, but surely Obi Wan would remember his days as a "Padawan"?

Or Maybe I'm thinking too hard and should believe everything in SW is consistent and all will be explained in the third of the prequels :confused:
 Taos
10-06-2002, 2:57 AM
Originally posted by Psionic Jedi

Excellent question......I think your answer is this second part of your quote. :) And no, I don't think it is in the OT.

Maybe the study of Midichlorians and the tradition of calling your apprentices "Padawans" were forgotten after the clone wars, but surely Obi Wan would remember his days as a "Padawan"?

You are also right, he would not forget his days as a padawan, I think with the Jedi Order being no more, there was no need to be so official.......the jedi were just trying to regroup and live again.
 acdcfanbill
10-06-2002, 6:26 AM
that and his time with luke wasnt very long, much to short to tell him how to be a jedi, much less the whole workings of the old republic's jedi order. when luke was with yoda, yoda was trying to teach him enough force use to keep himself alive :D so there was just no time to go through all the formal ranks and whatnot from the olden times... :D it just wasnt high enough on the importance scale... :p
 Kstar__2
10-06-2002, 9:41 AM
yes, and with the new republic, they all forgot the old times.:(
 JEDI OUTCAST
10-06-2002, 9:45 AM
Originally posted by Psionic Jedi

I always thought the "lesser Jedi in training" was called an Apprentice... :confused: I even noted the rank in JK1, you were called a Jedi APPRENTICE not a Padawan.

And now in the Prequels everyone's calling everyone else a Padawan learner, I keep wondering where that word came from.

Maybe it's something GL thought up at breakfast: you know how writers sometimes think up arbitrary words to string together and form a name for something...

Also, MIDICHLORIANS (sp?) sounds like a cross between Mitochondria and Chloroplast :rolleyes:

Or Maybe I'm thinking too hard and should believe everything in SW is consistent and all will be explained in the third of the prequels :confused:

yeah it came up in the original Trilogy.:D
 Darth Groovy
10-06-2002, 9:48 AM
Midichlorians are those things you put in your swimming pool to keep the algea down...pft, everybody knows that sheesh! :rolleyes:
 Darth Kaan
10-06-2002, 9:57 AM
Originally posted by JEDI OUTCAST

yeah it came up in the original Trilogy.:D

Which movie and who used the term?

Details please, not bantha fodder.
 JEDI OUTCAST
10-06-2002, 10:09 AM
i dont know still need to tape the other 2 then i will get back to you.:D
 Eldritch
10-06-2002, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
that and his time with luke wasnt very long, much to short to tell him how to be a jedi, much less the whole workings of the old republic's jedi order. when luke was with yoda, yoda was trying to teach him enough force use to keep himself alive :D so there was just no time to go through all the formal ranks and whatnot from the olden times... :D it just wasnt high enough on the importance scale... :p

I don't remember Obi Wan even saying "apprentice" in the OT... he used the term "pupil" in ANH - "... a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil..." Besides, GL didn't think to use the term Padawan until Episode 1 - at that time the Jedi order was in full swing and everything was very formal and correct; and the term was used to show that. In the time of the OT, the Jedi's existence had been wiped from the universe. Forget about all that EU crap where all these other Jedi also escaped the purge (EU pisses me off - most of it just isn't consistent with the movies, and people seem way out of character). So if the Jedi were wiped out, Luke wouldn't be familiar with the term Padawan, so why would Obi Wan use a term that Luke wouldn't understand?
As a side note, Yoda did say "apprentice." But it seems to me that GL uses apprentice when refering to the Dark side. Vader says it, Emperor says it, Sidious says it... seems to make sense to me, anyway.

-Anakin
 Jedi_Monk
10-09-2002, 4:59 PM
Actually, Padawan is a very old thing in the evolution of Star Wars. The term, used to describe Jedi-in-training, dates all the way back to the first drafts of Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Starkiller. You can find, I believe, the second draft of Star Wars here: S T A R K I L L E R - The Jedi Bendu Script Site (http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/illustrated/thestarwars_second_draft.htm).
Lucas probably just couldn't find a good place to insert it into the OT, and so, when he had time to really explore the classic Jedi Order in the Prequels, he decided to revive the term.

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg)
 Kstar__2
10-09-2002, 5:07 PM
woa, i never saw the early script. i'm going to read them all!
 ckcsaber
10-09-2002, 5:09 PM
The old scripts are wierd. R2 and C3p0 reversed roles
 Eldritch
10-09-2002, 5:45 PM
Thanks for the link, Jedi_Monk! Very informative.

-Anakin
 Arreat
10-13-2002, 8:06 PM
well based on my experience of playing jk2 online i beleive its meant as NOOB many have said get away paddie which is the most famous quote i hear online(many thinking they're all superior and all not until i show them what im truly made of:mob: :duel:
 JandoFett1842
10-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Padawan

Its probaby some Smauri/Ninja/Knight term that George Lucas didnt know about in the orginal Trilogy, i will look up Padawan or close in a JApanize dicionaty.
 Lunatic Jedi
10-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by JandoFett1842
i will look up Padawan or close in a JApanize dicionaty.

Erm... I think you're in desparate need of an ENGLISH dictionary.

J/k
 Darth Kaan
10-14-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by JEDI OUTCAST
i dont know still need to tape the other 2 then i will get back to you.:D

Right...

In other words you have no clue...
 thehomicidalegg
10-14-2002, 3:37 AM
i have a feeling that lucas is constantly inventing things to add to the SW universe
 mima kake
10-14-2002, 9:07 AM
Wow great link Monk thanx.
I never saw this one before.
And the lucas interview is realy great.

Again thanx:thumbsup:
 leXX
10-14-2002, 9:11 AM
Jedi Monk, your knowledge of the Star Wars Universe never ceases to amaze me.
Page: 1 of 1