Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Q3Map 2.3.0-a20

Page: 1 of 1
 ydnar
09-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Q3Map 2.3.0-a20 (http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.3/q3map_2.3.0-a20.zip) - Readme (http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.3/readme.txt)

From readme:

2.3.0-a20 (2002-09-26)

- SOF2/JK2 worldspawn "fog" (and "_fog") shader key support for levelwide fog
- SOF2/JK2 light "scale" key to scale light brightness
- SOF2/JK2 -rename function for _bsp and _rmg_bsp shader renaming

This release is part of SOF2/JK2 support completion, and is primarily targetted at mappers for those games. Q3/RTCW/EF mappers are welcome to try the new entity keys, as they should work in those games as well. Q3 might not like the brushless fog, but it may work.

Unlike other map keys that specify a shader, the "_fog" key takes a full path to a shader, including the "textures/" prefix. I may change the rest of the BSP shader keys to this standard in a future release.

I have tested this release on SOF2 only, but it shouldn't break anything else. Thanks to Raven for supplying me with test maps to compile. :)

To do:

- SOF2/JK2 lightstyles
- SOF2/JK2 lightgrid array

Cheers,
y

Addendum:

I noticed that there were some missing _bsp shaders for models. I created some of my own to make my test maps look OK, and in the process, added two things:

surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm alphashadows

When added to masked leaf shaders, they will cast per-pixel shadows on the world.
 The Truthful Liar
09-27-2002, 12:26 AM
You Sir, are a great addition to this community. Awesome :cool:
 Tigris
09-27-2002, 7:16 AM
:( I really would like to test all those nice things out, BUT I still get the light gird mismatch :(
 phZ
09-27-2002, 8:58 AM
i just tried to compile my map with q3map2 but i get an error when i want to play it:

MOD_Loadbmodel: funny lump size

i did a search on google and on the forum of quake3world.com but i couldnt find a solution for this prob... any idea ?
 lassev
09-27-2002, 9:15 AM
Cheers! I was happy using your last release, I'll be happier using this.
 JonM
09-27-2002, 3:45 PM
/me huggels ydnar
 Emon
09-28-2002, 8:10 PM
You are god.
 AKPiggott
09-29-2002, 4:49 PM
Does this compile any faster than the standard Q3Map? If so, this could be just what I need.
 Emon
09-29-2002, 5:06 PM
AK:

Q3Map2 compiles considerably faster than Q3Map, which is not used by JO. JO uses SOF2Map, which Q3Map2 also compiles much faster than. Lighting is also MUCH better.

BTW:

The -fast feature on lighting will make things either extra bright or extra dark, just change your lights accordingly, or don't use it.
 AKPiggott
10-01-2002, 10:14 AM
I take it it is used the same as SOF2MAP? With the same extensions?
 ydnar
10-03-2002, 1:36 AM
Q3Map 2.3.0-a21 (http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.3/q3map_2.3.0-a21.zip) - Readme (http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.3/readme.txt)

From readme:

2.3.0-a21 (2002-10-02)

- Fixed a stack of really stupid bugs in the lightgrid code. Should be faster
and more predictable now.
- SOF2/JK2 lightgrid now compiled. This is the first version of Q3Map2 that can
compile full, release-worthy SOF2 and JK2 maps.
- SOF2/JK2 damageshader and damagable brush faces should work correctly now.

All that's left for proper Jedi Knight 2 support is lightstyles. Other than that, this is the money shot, and fully usable for releasing maps.

Cheers,
y
 Bell
10-05-2002, 11:49 AM
this ROCKS!!
and i really really want to try it. Could someone do me a favor and tell me how to set up gtkradiant to use this? I'd greatly appreciate it. I looked through the manual and other links but am still having a bit of difficulty. I'm assuming I change my command line in the fullvis option of project settings?
i'd greatly appreciate the help
cheers!:cool:
 MilesTeg
10-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Hi Iґve checked out your site and tried the q3map2. Itґs really great, thx! The first thing Iґve checked was that the lightstyles didnґt work ;)

If everything goes right we will use your compiler for our DarkForces Mod and you will be in the credits of course.

Q: Iґve read about a "bumpmapping" feature!? :D
 Leslie Judge
10-05-2002, 4:09 PM
Bell: I don't use GTKRadiant to start the compilation, I use a batch file intead (I don't remember, who made it but was someone from this forum). This is for the final compiling.

@echo off
REM Replace these paths with your own.

"D:\Games\Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\q3map2\q3map2.exe"
-meta -game jk2 -fs_basepath "D:\Games\Jedi Outcast\GameData"
-fs_game base %1

-vis -game jk2 -fs_basepath "D:\Games\Jedi Outcast\GameData"
-fs_game base %1

-light -super 2 -fast -patchshadows -game jk2 -fs_basepath
"D:\Games\Jedi Outcast\GameData" -fs_game base %1

Pause

You can make GTKRadiant to use q3map2 in the Project settings dialog box, where the BSP menu commands are. Just change them properly.
 Bell
10-05-2002, 5:53 PM
leslie judge you rock thanks!!
i made a batch file and ran it but i got
"the system does not recognize the path specified"
then proceeds to give me errors that the commands and switches are not recognized commands.

is there a particular file that the batch and q3map2 files should be in? hmm . . . i'm stumped
and thanks for the help
 buckman
10-05-2002, 6:29 PM
Ok, this is what happens:

"ERROR Odd lumpsize" in the VIS process

"Error opening GameData\base\maps\map.srf No such file or directory" i dont know in what process this occures

Anyway i need some help

-Buck out :duel:
 Leslie Judge
10-05-2002, 11:11 PM
i made a batch file and ran it but i got
"the system does not recognize the path specified"
Erm... I had to break the commands (except the first two) to get the whole thing fit on the screen. :) I've put an extra empty line in between the original commands. There are 3x3 lines. You have to make every 3 lines into 1 only!

And of course as the 2nd line says: change the paths to fit YOUR installation of JK2 ad q3map2.

Oh, and I have a shortcut on my desktop pointing to this batch file. I just drag&drop the .map file onto it from Windows Explorer.

"Error opening GameData\base\maps\map.srf No such file or directory" i dont know in what process this occures
buckman, however I can't help I can tell you that the message occures in the VIS process. Feel better? ;)
 WhiteShdw
10-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Thanks Leslie, I'm gonna try that right now. Just a quick question though. The settings that you used there are the best compile settings? I mean with these settings you get the best looking map, lighting and all? An Ultimate setting if you will?

Or are there some options that you can add that will make it look even better?
 fourwood
10-06-2002, 11:33 AM
I love you, ydnar.
 Leslie Judge
10-06-2002, 1:47 PM
WhiteShdw: Probably this will give you the best result, however I'm not the man who made the batch file and I didn't examine the q3map2 settings very deeply. You may can find something to add.

-super 2 was -extra earlier and I changed -extra because q3map2 said I have to use -super 2 instead. I don't know right now if there is a better -super value or not.

And as ydnar said All that's left for proper Jedi Knight 2 support is lightstyles. Other than that, this is the money shot, and fully usable for releasing maps.
 Emon
10-06-2002, 4:26 PM
You don't use this like SoF2Map, infact you don't compile in GTK or JK2 Radiant at all. You have to compile it manually fromt the DOS prompt, or use a set of batch files like I made:

http://emon.netfirms.com/Q3Map2_BATs.zip)

Just modify the paths to fit your own. You put them in your maps folder, then drag your MAP file onto the desired process, and watch it go...
 WhiteShdw
10-06-2002, 5:47 PM
Thanks guys. I got it working very nicely in GTK radiant. I just created a new compile option using the command lines supplied by Leslie Judge as an example. So i guess i don't really need a batch file....for now.:)
 Leslie Judge
10-06-2002, 6:09 PM
Now I know that Emon was who originally created those batch files. :)
 Bell
10-07-2002, 3:15 PM
WOHOOO!! thanks all i got it workin hehe; you guys rock!
 AKPiggott
10-08-2002, 5:13 AM
Originally posted by Emon
You don't use this like SoF2Map, infact you don't compile in GTK or JK2 Radiant at all. You have to compile it manually fromt the DOS prompt, or use a set of batch files like I made:

http://emon.netfirms.com/Q3Map2_BATs.zip)

Just modify the paths to fit your own. You put them in your maps folder, then drag your MAP file onto the desired process, and watch it go...

Yeah, I figured I had to make a BAT file. I already have one set up for S2Map, so that I can compile without opening Radiant. I didn't know what extensions to use, but that link should help. Cheers E'.
 Tigris
10-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Don't want this to sound negative, but the only "improvement" I'm getting is no "Light_Gird Mismatch"- Warning in JK2, it's still doesn't light my maps :(

One question though: Could you do BSP and VIS with q3map2 and then switch for Light to sof2map?
 The Truthful Liar
10-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Tigris I used to have the same problem untill I switched to batch files for compiling. I'm not sure as to why, just something wonky about GtK on my pc perhaps. If you're using radiant to compile, I suggest you try batch files and see if it works from then on.

For your question... I think... not... However I could be mistaken.

G'luck :cool:
 Leslie Judge
10-08-2002, 2:37 PM
I think yes. :) Because q3map2 and sof2map are for the same thing. OK, they are different, but the file format is not. So I would give it a try. What can happen? It doesn't work? :)
 Tigris
10-08-2002, 4:23 PM
Ok, I'm using the batch-files, but perhaps I'll redownload them (mine are already some releases old ;) )- right now I'm trying to compile, perhaps it works *crosses fingers*
 Emon
10-08-2002, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by Tigris
Don't want this to sound negative, but the only "improvement" I'm getting is no "Light_Gird Mismatch"- Warning in JK2, it's still doesn't light my maps :(

One question though: Could you do BSP and VIS with q3map2 and then switch for Light to sof2map?

It's not the fault of Q3Map2, it's the fault of your map.
 Tigris
10-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Hm, then all my maps are messed up :(

Anyway- I've combined the q3map2 and the sof2map for light and it seems to work, so I'm able to work with that for the moment...

EDIT: Ok, if it is because of my map, then it's specific with q3map2- here are some shots with BSP&VIS done by q3map2 with a LIGHT finish from sof2map-
http://www.durahcell.de/jk2preview/duel_rooftop/)
 AKPiggott
10-09-2002, 1:42 PM
Oooh...very good.

My map which takes just over an hour to compile with SOF2map takes just over 20 minutes with Q3map2.

Good work ydnar!
 Emon
10-09-2002, 8:14 PM
Something strange I've noticed:

Original maps, such as ctf_bespin take LONGER on Q3Map2 than they do on SoF2Map. I think it's because they aren't caulked all over, so the more effecient auto cull in Q3Map2 (it's better than SoF2Map's, more reliable) has to take more time to work. So if you caulk everything, I guess it skips this step...or, something...
Page: 1 of 1