Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sam and Max in WinXP

Page: 1 of 1
 J-Pitty
09-13-2002, 2:29 AM
Hey, I was wondering if you guys could help me. I have sam and max and the Dott combo cd (with voices and all that). I also have a speech fix for both games. Dott works perfectly (hangs sometimes, but hit "." and it goes), sam and max's music works, but their voices are incredibly slow. I noticed a few other's in these threads who've had the same problem, but i still can't fix it. The only thing i am using is vdmsound. I can't get q+e3 to work. (when i try to open it with vdm, it says fail to instantiate adlib.. " sb emulator blah blah, so i get no sound) I tried copying and pasting the sam and max.ini file created by q+e into my other directory with sam and max and converts my used to be slow voices to the problem i mentioned above (3 screens saying adlib and sb wave failing to start) and nothing plays. Does anybody know whats going on here? it also says "Heap Status: Unplayable (359kb Available) " before i get into the game.

To sum it up. Using VDM sound, music great, voices in slow motion. Can't run the game with any sound in Q+E3.0 because when i run it with vdmsound it says it is "unable to instantiate emulation module 'adlib wave player" then "ditto adlib controller" then another "ditto sb wave player". If someone can help me with either of these, i would be forever greatful.
Thanks
 bgbennyboy
09-13-2002, 4:08 AM
I can help, but for starters you could read the previous threads in here.
As ive said before, the heap status error means nothing - click past it, ignore it, it has no effect.

Its all going wrong because....well lets just start over shall we?

First things first, Quick and Easy 3.5 (http://www.gorman.btinternet.co.uk/QuickAndEasy3.5.exe) is now out, its completely rewritten and as close to foolproof as I can get it.

Install it, then install:
VdmSound 2.0.4 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/vdmsound/VDMSound-2.0.4-WinNT-i386.msi?download)
VdmSound 2.0.4 Update 1 (http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/VDMSound.2.0.4.update1.zip)
VdmSound Launchpad 1.0.0.7 (http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/VDMSLaunchPad.v1.0.0.7.zip)

Oh and uninstall the old version and delete its folder too.
 Tower66
10-07-2002, 11:46 AM
My problem is quite the same: If I want to start Sam & Max using the VDM Sound Mode of Q&E appears the message 'Heap Status: Unplayable (359kb Available)'. Ok, i'm just ignoring that message like u told. But unfortunately there is no voice output merely sound output.

Using the integrated ScummVM Mode of Q&E is no alternative, too, because it' impossible to save the game.

Can someone help me?
 bgbennyboy
10-07-2002, 12:02 PM
See here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79867) for similar problems with DOTT.

Its not impossible with ScummVM at all, just press F5 and save the game the same as in all LEC games.

Also remember that the floppy version of sam and max only has speech in the intro not the rest of the game.
 Tower66
10-07-2002, 12:05 PM
But scummvm doesnt create a savegame. Maybe it's because im playing the game from cd.
 bgbennyboy
10-07-2002, 12:08 PM
Well try playing from hd then.
Copy the resource files (.000 and .001) or (.sm0 and .sm1) and monster.sou to hd.

ALso try reinstalling q+e.
 Tower66
10-07-2002, 12:24 PM
I DONT NO WHY: But it's working, now that I reinstalled Q&E ?!

....veeery strange.

THX anyway
 gidierre
10-09-2002, 9:21 PM
>> also says "Heap Status: Unplayable (359kb Available) " before i get into the game. <<

> As ive said before, the heap status error means nothing - click past it, ignore it, it has no effect <

The only way I know to miss the heap status warning is playing it under dos.
 bgbennyboy
10-13-2002, 4:30 PM
But this is about running in 2k/XP which dont have dos, hence quick and easy, hence this thread...........bah
 gidierre
10-13-2002, 5:18 PM
>But this is about running in 2k/XP which dont have dos...........bah

Hey, OK I may have gone off topic, if this is what you mean. Or is it not really so ?

What I meant to emphasize is :
I got it it's a thread about WinXP, but still, even if your O.S. is WinXP you can have dos, or sort of , just using an emergency boot disk to dos 7 or whatever you name it.
When this is done you're able to bypass the need for all XP tweaking as far as I can tell.
Off topic ?
 bgbennyboy
10-13-2002, 5:22 PM
Heh it doesnt matter really, its just a lot easier to use q+e and ignore the heap status message than boot into dos, set up dos sound drivers and cd drivers and then run it from there;)
 gidierre
10-13-2002, 6:18 PM
>its just a lot easier to use q+e and ignore the heap status message than boot into dos

Sure. Otoh you only have to set those drivers once, then when the ebd is done it's done forever and booting to dos is hardly a big time consuming task, but I can see your point.

I'm not questioning q+e's usefulness, if that's your impression.
Nor I see any reason why a simple fact ought not to be reported.
If I am playing Sam'n'max with VDMSound and suddenly I find Conroy Bumpus' song can't be heard, well this is a fact, and a fact that could be best evaluated by all players when they reach that spot themselves.
No criticism of VDMSound is intended. I remember Vlad himself replied to me on this matter some time ago on bravenet's VDMSound Forum blaming this little buggy behavior on the "Frankenstein nature" (so he said) of the hybrid Sam'n'max folder that the emulator relies upon.
So the memory message reports is just that : facts.

Now since I've been playing or trying to play Sam'n'max lately under at least 4 different OS (namely, DOS "7.10", Win98FE, WinME and WinXP Home) using 2 different versions of the game (floppy disks and cdrom versions, plus their mix made to please VDMSound) and on its own (that is, using either an ISA Creative Awe64 Gold or a PCI Soundblaster Live! soundcard) or using at least 2 different emulators (VDMSound 2.0.4 and ScummVM in no less than a dozen of evolving builds) if memory warnings showing varying values are always present except for the DOS environment will this not be a fact ?

Yeah and while I'm at it, what will Lucasarts' support center have to say about this matter ?
Well, something like what I will quote here from
http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tgd.asp?id=1092&g=16&s=10)

--------------------------------
SAM & MAX HIT THE ROAD
Technical Reference Guide - Details

"Not Enough Memory"

You receive this error when trying to run Sam & Max in an environment that is not optimally configured. This error refers only to the format of your available RAM, not to the quantity of system RAM. This is related to different standards of memory usage. Sam & Max uses an older method of memory handling known as Real Mode operation, as opposed to the more recent standard Protected Mode. Newer systems are often not configured to run the older standards as well as the current standards. The result of this is the need to reconfigure memory allocation to get Sam & Max to function. The best method to do this with is a boot disk.

The solution is to make a boot disk with a Real Mode memory configuration. A boot disk will provide an optimal memory environment for the operation of Sam & Max.
----------------------------

Now it's not been lost on me that this is just what emulators are
made for : go past all those limitations.
The point is our Sam'n'max seem to be giving a hard time to each emulation software so far.

---------------------------------
<Insert entertaining and side-splittingly funny quote of your choice here> :

We may forgive those who bother us, but we can never forgive those whom we bother
(La Rochefoucauld)
 Riffage
10-14-2002, 1:06 PM
On the side here, Sam & Max works fine in XP for me with Q+E, so if it works for me theres no problem it working for you, unless your xp possibly isnt real and the same for your sam and max
 bgbennyboy
10-14-2002, 1:07 PM
You and I have had this (achingly long) discussion before in other threads.
Jeepers creepers, I say this with patience and the greatest of respect.

THE DAMM HEAP STATUS ERROR MESSAGE DOESNT MATTER

If the game works and you can click past the error then thats fine. I really, really dont want to get into a debate about its causes, if it works just enjoy it. I try and get people's games working in here using the simplest and easiest method possible. The day someone posts in here saying that they cant play sam and max on 9x because of a 'heap status error' and snuckeys guide doesnt fix it, i'll be quite happy to go into detail and debates about the causes and fixes of it, until then lets not have this argument.
 Murray-Mint
10-14-2002, 1:19 PM
:max:Runs fine for me using Q+E on XP with the default setup:max:
Page: 1 of 1