Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

No SWG for our Greek brethren.

Page: 1 of 1
 Norin Radd
09-04-2002, 11:58 PM
Video Games are totally outlawed in Greece, now. Can you say Black Market Opportunity? I know it's not related to SWG directly, but. . .interesting nonetheless, wouldn't you say?:D

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956357.html?tag=fd_top)

It's ironic that a country that gave us such great thinkers as Aristotle and Plato, could be so idiotic.
 Ewok Hunter
09-05-2002, 12:04 AM
or maybe we are the idots here....think...

nah:D
 Norin Radd
09-05-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by ewok hunter
or maybe we are the idots here....think...

nah:D

You had me going for a minute there.:)
 Wraith 8
09-05-2002, 10:13 AM
well first of all this is indeed not the forum to talk about greece :D
and i think it should go in the off topic :D

on the other hand:

wow... that is wack. in my country almost NOTHING is illegal game wize but there were great protests when carmageddon came out.

*Yoink*
 Devil Doll
09-05-2002, 11:42 AM
I read it and i Cant understand yet, why geek law do that?? if our law do that, i think a lot of us(computer sistems students) will quit the career cause we will do anything, everyone like to make his/her own animation for a program or a game and when I said it to my friends, they said it was stupid.
 "thA dekMan"
09-05-2002, 9:46 PM
man... that sucks rectum.

lol, i can't get over how hilarious that is... NO MECHANICAL DEVICES blah blah, shut the **** up you stupid government. yeah, thats what i woulda said if it was me.
 Redwing
09-06-2002, 2:22 AM
OMG that is sooo frikkin lame :eek:

How are they gonna manage to uphold that? It's completely ridiculous! :confused:
 Exar Kun II
09-06-2002, 11:07 AM
You know that if the demand is there, someone is going to fill it. The black market will abound.

SMUGGLER : "PSSST, I hear you need a copy of Star Wars Galaxies."

BUYER : "Yes, if the price is fair." Looks around anxiously

SMUGGLER : "I have a shipment coming in tonight from the Aegean Sea. Meet me at the docks, your code name
is Hera."

BUYER : "Hera? But, she was a woman. Can't I be Zeus?"

SMUGGLER : "No. I already have a client named Zeus. I'm bringing HIM Ghost Recon. Your name is Hera!"

BUYER : "But. . .What about Apollo? Is Apollo taken?"

SMUGGLER (impatiently) : "$%#@$, OK, dammit! You're Apollo. Are you happy?"

BUYER (grinning) : "Cool. I'm Apollo. Yeah. Um, there's just one more thing."

SMUGGLER : "Oh Jeez! What?"

BUYER : "Could you bring me the secret code to being a Jedi?"

SMUGGLER : "Don't push your luck. . .Apollo."
 TheMadDoofer
09-06-2002, 2:05 PM
LOL!
 "thA dekMan"
09-06-2002, 3:35 PM
and i'm gonna be just the man to fill that demand. All the way from Canada...

think about the oppourtunities... games are a multimillion dollar industry, and people love to do things they can't = lots of money!
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2002, 6:15 PM
This must be a joke, right?

They are actually gonna be puneshing their people AND visitors for their own incompetance? :confused:

This is their reasoning for the ban:
"The blanket ban was decided in February after the government admitted it was incapable of distinguishing innocuous video games from illegal gambling machines," the report said.
:rolleyes:

I'm lost for words.
 Gaalgoth
09-07-2002, 7:37 PM
Well we all know that greeks are fascist, communistic anarchists. This law only supports that knowledge a little more.
 setsuko
09-07-2002, 8:02 PM
yes. if it wasn't for the fact that you can't be a fascist, an anarchist and a communist at the same time. Because they are sort of opposites. ;)

After all, most countries have their share of stupid laws, just the fact that we play computer games means that we think this one is more stupid. It's not like it is physically hurting someone.

Get some perspective. There's bigger legal atrocities in the world than a ban of computer games (even if it is really stupid). In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen, no. But also, in a perfect world we would not have things as NRA, colombian drug lords or Iraqui dictators.

And if I happened to live in Greece, I would propably not care. It's not like I can't get my gaming needs satisfied by the wonderous thing called: "The Internet".
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2002, 9:22 PM
Yes, I agree there are bigger issues around the world, but my God, Set - 75.000$ or Ђ and 12 months imprisonment (tops of course) for something that is the governments fault they are incapable of differentiate between a video game and an illegal gambling machine?!?

Solution: They just ban everything so they don't have to learn the difference (really, what is the reason if not this) and earn some buck or 2 extra each month.

This will hurt people if they actually are going to uphold it, even if we are talking about the minimum punishment, which is 5000$ or Ђ and one month imprisonment. And that goes for natives and foreigners alike.
 "thA dekMan"
09-07-2002, 11:29 PM
I don't understand how a damn gameboy could be confused to an illegal gambling machine? Or a computer?
 Gaalgoth
09-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Yeah yeah, i know you can't be all of those things at once set....but seriously, you can't really mean that you feel the fact that slavery still exists today in the Sudan is more dire a motive for political action then the lack of video games in Greece, can you?
 Jan Gaarni
09-08-2002, 5:13 AM
If it was the way you put it, Gaalgoth, then yes, Sudan comes first and Greece way last.

But since there are these outrages fines and sentences aswell I would say: Sudan still first, but Greece much higher on the list of things to fix than in the previouse example. :)
 RoyalGuard
09-08-2002, 12:14 PM
hmm, slavery vs computer game supression...

while slavery is obviously more serious both cases show how depressingly idiotic some governments can be, and I thought New Labour were pathetic, at least they respect basic human rights, and can differentiate between a one armed bandit and a game boy!
Page: 1 of 1