Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Gandalf

Page: 1 of 4
 Madjai
09-02-2002, 12:05 AM
ive almost completed his mesh, the head is just about how i want it, but of course i need input to perfect it.
ive only got 1 screenshot to show right now, and its just a face shot with a lighting effect on him, i was just fooling around with rendering. and its dark and hard to see well. but dont worry ill post more tomorrow when im not so tired.

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gandalf1.txt)

so ill need a skinner soon, any takers?

also, after this id like to do a Sauron (sp?) afterwords, but im having a terrible time finding good quality pics of him, any help would be appreciated.
 StarViperPilot
09-02-2002, 12:25 AM
"Gandalf! Gandalf! It's Gandalf! Fireworks Gandalf! Fireworks!":p

Looks great! I'm sure this will make a lot of poeple happy :D. And a few might get mad, silly Star Wars only pureists. Thank you for useing your time and skills to bring us Gandalf.
 BradFu
09-02-2002, 12:38 AM
Cool! Gandalf rocks :) For Saruman, you might be able to acheive a model of him simply by making Gandalf's big hat removeable. They really are quite similar in shape. Old, long-bearded Jedi can be made in the same way :D
 Eets
09-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Saruman's face is alot thinner, and his beard is more well-kempt.

I have a pal who is willing and ready to make Saruman taunts, and he can imitate Christopher Lee's voice PERFECTLY.

Nice job, btw! :D
 BradFu
09-02-2002, 1:17 AM
Well, thin-ness of the face can probably be simulated through skinning, as can tidyness of the hair/beard :)
 Frumpus
09-02-2002, 2:34 AM
Hey Madjai. (hm, I just noticed: A fellow Canuck! eh)

Great start on Gandalf! Question:. .Are you attempting to model him after Ian McKellan? Or just "Gandalf" as you see him (and as described by Tolkien)? Your choice.

Constructive Criticism:
Hmm, is his hat sitting too high on his head?

He needs BUSHY eyebrows! The Hobbit and LOTR describe his eyebrows as actually sticking out BEYONG the brim of his hat!! :)

I think he looks too young. He could just be a young biker with a beard. :) His face needs more. .ermm "crags" (? ). Extend cheeks? Lower the bags under his eyes?

Also, concerning the hair/beard, you can do AMAZING things just by using TURN EDGES function - to get more depth/texture. (Check out the pic of the she-elf I sent you.) Hair isn't like skin; not soft, flowing (especially if it has any curl to it). Hair has holes, crevices, and random tangles. ASsymetry will help alot I think (once you get to that stage). Also, the area immediately around the mustache doesn't have to mirror the lips exactly; i.e., near the corners of the lower lip, men usually grow slightly "sparser" hair than in the middle.

The nose is one part of our body that never stops growing. Even though Gandalf is actually a Maia (an angelic form/missionary to Middle Earth), he's in the form of an old man. His nose can be exaggerated. (Just take a look at any old man you know ;) )

. .. erm. . I'd have to see another (different) view of the model to add anything else.

Re: pics of Sauron. . . . give me a shout on MSN. . . I've got a few great pics of Sauron (but they're mostly of his helm - it's hard to get good pics of his armour). I just don't have any place to "post" them.

And BradFu?. . . Were you suggesting to have a "reskin" or "optional" version of Gandalf - who looks like Saruman?. . Good idea (CTF?) .. Or were you mistaking Saruman (the wizard) for Sauron (the Dark Lord)? Hmm, Madjai? If you wanted to get Gandalf and Saruman's likeness more similar (in the mesh), you could make "Gandalf the White", where in the movie The Two Towers at least, Gandalf's hair is white and straight, much like Saruman's.
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-02-2002, 2:44 AM
Great to see some Lord of the Rings models in the works. And great ones at that. Good job. :)
 VampireHunterD
09-02-2002, 2:57 AM
Originally posted by Frumpus
Re: pics of Sauron. . . . give me a shout on MSN. . . I've got a few great pics of Sauron (but they're mostly of his helm - it's hard to get good pics of his armour). I just don't have any place to "post" them.[/B]

I've got a pretty good screen-cap of Sauron's armor if you want it Frumpus. ;)
 VampireHunterD
09-02-2002, 3:08 AM
Here, This was the best screen-cap I could come up with since
Sauron is always showed either at a distance or too close in
the movie:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/Armorview.jpg)
 Darth Vigrid
09-02-2002, 3:33 AM
Try an image search on google. There are some pretty good pics of him there.
 LordSauron
09-02-2002, 3:44 PM
Awww... Y'all wanna do a model after me... I'm touched :D

But anyway. That is a good Gandalf. And I agree that the eyebrows need to be like push brooms sticking out of the head :P Also the beard needs to be more bushier if you want to model to be more movie like. I don't recall how his beard was described in LOTR books. All I remember that it was long.

As far as the Sauron model. Try looking up paintings and drawings by Jim Howe and uhh...what's that guy's name Tim uhh. Nasbeth? and such artists. Lots of representations of Dark Lords (Melkor/Morgoth and Sauron) in a black armor. Although Sauron's helmet looked nice in LOTR movie.

Just some suggestions. Keep up the work! Doin' well!
 LordSauron
09-02-2002, 3:49 PM
I forgot I had this!
http://public.csusm.edu/bcline2000/imgs/tolkien_gandalf2_800.jpg)

I hope this helps!
 SithMaster01
09-02-2002, 5:10 PM
Lord of the Rings is Gay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Kidding this ones gonna rock!
 Madjai
09-02-2002, 7:15 PM
ok here are a couple more pics, i havent changed anything just yet, and right now his body is just mirrored on the other side so there isnt different detail yet. plus im expecting lots of detail to be in the skin.

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gandalf2.txt)
www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gandalf3.txt)

im not too sure how im going to do his hair, it looks really flat and plain right now but i think i can add a shader that makes "gaps" where there is mesh but no hair drawn, if you understand what im trying to say.

the only thing i know about LotR is the movie, ive never read or heard much about it before the news of the trilogy being made, so the Gandalf im creating is roughly based on the movie LotR character/actor.
 BradFu
09-02-2002, 7:26 PM
Oops! I thought he was saying he wants to make Saruman next, that'll learn me to actually read things a little more closely :D

Madjai, Gandalf is looking great :) I assume you'll be doing some alpha work on the beard?
 obi
09-02-2002, 9:23 PM
As you can see in my avatar, Gandalf is the man, so I am looking forward to this!

YOU CANNOT PASS!
 Madjai
09-02-2002, 10:16 PM
yea i just dont know how to do that "alpha" stuff, so any help on that subject would be nice!
 Eklin
09-03-2002, 12:29 AM
I have to admit, when I first checked this thread out, I was a little suspicious as to how goo of quality the model would actually be, but now that I've checked out the screenshots, I've gotta say AWESOME JOB! :D

Originally posted by obi-wan13
YOU CANNOT PASS!
That'd make a great taunt for the model, don'tcha think?
 bomberman_xc
09-03-2002, 12:35 AM
 VampireHunterD
09-03-2002, 12:37 AM
Not too sure whether this one will help any of you, but I figured
some of you could use it anyway:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorView(second).jpg)
 StarViperPilot
09-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by VampireHunterD
Here, This was the best screen-cap I could come up with since
Sauron is always showed either at a distance or too close in
the movie:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/Armorview.jpg)

Was it just me or do you think the movie made him look fat? I know we didn't see him much but I thought the movie made him look fat. Maybe It was the angle.
 VampireHunterD
09-03-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by StarViperPilot

Was it just me or do you think the movie made him look fat? I know we didn't see him much but I thought the movie made him look fat. Maybe It was the angle.

You know, I thought that as well when I saw that first scene with
him in Mount Doom. It almost looked like as if he had a beer gut
going. lol.:D

Anyway it's not just the angle. If you'll notice part of his armor separates from his torso on the lower part so that's why it makes
him look fat right at that scene. :)
 VampireHunterD
09-03-2002, 1:23 AM
Here's pretty much all I can come up with that will be of any
use (that is if these are of any use). Enjoy:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/AndAnotherView.jpg)

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/Anotherview.jpg)

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorThirdView.jpg)

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorForthView.jpg)

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorFifthView.jpg)

By the way this new screencap program I got is great. :D
 Madjai
09-03-2002, 9:29 AM
they didnt show him in the movie very well, not enough angles to really know every square-inch of his armor. i guess ill have to look for concept art or something.
 Kstar__2
09-03-2002, 9:49 AM
wow! that really looks amazingly detailed!
 D.L.
09-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Eklin
YOU CANNOT PASS!

That'd make a great taunt for the model, don'tcha think?

It would if it were the correct quote. It's "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" not "YOU CANNOT PASS!"

Model is looking great. Keep up the good work.
 Major Clod
09-03-2002, 10:48 AM
It would if it were the correct quote. It's "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" not "YOU CANNOT PASS!"

Actually, it is "YOU CANNOT PASS!" The movie is wrong, the book is right.
 Madjai
09-03-2002, 10:58 AM
well unless someone wants to voice act it, its going to be ripped from the movie
 D.L.
09-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Major Clod

Actually, it is "YOU CANNOT PASS!" The movie is wrong, the book is right.

Well, get me a soundbite from the book then. :)

The quote that will be used will be "SHALL NOT PASS" as that's what is said in sound, rather than print.

I am fully aware than it's CANNOT PASS in the book. I love the books and I can quote that piece from the Chapter Bridge of Khazad-Dum

You cannot pass! I am servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow! You cannot pass!

:)
 Major Clod
09-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Why not voice act it... Sit at the computer screaming that into the mic, I'm sure you won't get any strange looks at all ;)
 bomberman_xc
09-04-2002, 1:04 AM
Dude Madjai will you please do a model of Lurtz (Uruk-hai captain) next?? Please!!! He kicks sooo much ass. I have a request for him in the model request thread. 4th page. there are some good reference pics there. and if you need more just ask me. Please.....He's the orc dude that killed Borimir and took on Aragorn in LOTR incase anyone who didn't know was wondering.
If you make him (wich i'm praying you will) will you make his orcish sword also??

BTW, Gandalf looks good so far
 bomberman_xc
09-04-2002, 1:09 AM
the second reference pic is a full body of the action figure. If you make him (please god)....i mean Madjai, will you make him w/out the shield on his left arm???
 jaybiggspr
09-04-2002, 6:21 AM
;) ;) :D :D :) :rolleyes:

Nice Try!
 Eets
09-04-2002, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by BradFu
Oops! I thought he was saying he wants to make Saruman next, that'll learn me to actually read things a little more closely :D

Spast! So did I.. :(
 Exar Kun II
09-04-2002, 3:32 PM
To the modeler doing Sauron in his armor, you probably have enough photos, but here is a picture I found, maybe it will help.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_22761c8101de4ab3126b4e8eb8446c25/i-1.JPG)

:D

Hard to find any depictions of him in physical form.
 djnugget84
09-04-2002, 4:25 PM
this is one of the best images of saurons helmet i could find. http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots/saurons_helmet.jpg)
 djnugget84
09-04-2002, 4:30 PM
i also found thius website were if you scrole down some you will find any image of saurons armor that there is. http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Nasty/Sauron.htm)
 Zedar
09-05-2002, 10:29 AM
Looking good!!!:saberr: :lightning:
Please make more lotr models
Sauron model will be just incredible
:duel:
 hawk_of_war
09-05-2002, 2:42 PM
Are there going to be both Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the white skins?

P.S. Gandalf the White doesn't have the hat, if you've seen The Two Towers trailer.
 Madjai
09-05-2002, 2:57 PM
hmm i suppose i could make the hat removeable, make it one of those "surface on/off" thingys.

but who wants to skin him?
 RGF_okiN
09-05-2002, 3:00 PM
Looking good, but the hat! T'is too small!

Broader brim and taller tip, please!
 Madjai
09-05-2002, 3:23 PM
ok i made it a little bigger.

im wondering, is the whole "alpha" thing with the hair done by the skinner or is there something special i have to do to the model first?
 SAIK HUAT
09-05-2002, 7:00 PM
no, just use a .tga file instead of a .jpg file to get that effect. I dont know how to do it but i know thats how you would go about doing it
 Zedar
09-08-2002, 9:30 AM
So is someone making Sauron model??Cos I've been waiting for one a looooong time
Sauron and Sephiroth...that's what i want:) (not a request:D)
 Madjai
09-08-2002, 10:25 AM
if i have enough pics of him ill try.

right now im uvwmapping Gandalf
 Grafox
09-08-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Madjai
if i have enough pics of him ill try.

right now im uvwmapping Gandalf

I'd love to have a go at skinning him.
 BradFu
09-08-2002, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't mind taking a crack at skinning him, if his hat is a removeable surface :) I won't be shooting for a Gandalf look, but instead, maybe an old Jedi, or perhaps Radagast the Brown.
 Madjai
09-08-2002, 11:55 AM
yea it doesnt specifically have to be Gandalf, just a general wizard would look good.
 Eets
09-12-2002, 10:52 AM
I rented the FOTR DVD, and I got some GREAT screenshots of Sauron. Do you want em, Madjai?
 Madjai
09-12-2002, 2:22 PM
i dont need any more movie pics, they dont really show enough of him, i need good real life pics that show every inch of his armor.
Page: 1 of 4