Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Gandalf

Page: 2 of 4
 Eets
09-12-2002, 3:09 PM
You sure? I have great pics of his helmet, fingers, and boots. :D
 short_ent
09-12-2002, 4:18 PM
He looks great for the most part!
I do have a coulple critiscisms to make
1. His waist should have more volume. His robes are massive and his belt cuts through them. So there should be a little more over hanging robe on the top of the belt and a little more puff to the robe just below the belt.

2. I don't think you should even attempt making Gandalf the White out of this same model. Gandalf the Gray has a thick heavy wool robe that is simple and messy. When he returns after the battle with the Balrog in the pits of Middle Earth he is transformed. He is wearing thin, light , robes on. They are still simple but are completely different in style. So, it's a lot of work but, you can do it. Quite frankly I think your one of the best modelers we have.

3. As for Suaron... The best armour shot in all of the Felowship of the Ring footage is on the special features disk. Got to the "Special Edition Preview" and towards the end of the film, there is about a 3 second blip of footage that shows Sauron, full armor as in the battle sequence, from mid thighs up. You will be able to pause and get a side view and a frontal view.
I hope I have helped a little.
Talk to yah later.
 Madjai
09-12-2002, 7:16 PM
well Eets, if you can get a look at what short_ent was talking about, that whole special feature stuff, id like a look see.

uvwmapping is almost done, it might be a little ugly at some parts but shouldnt cause too much trouble for a skilled skinner ;)
 Eets
09-12-2002, 9:03 PM
Got em. :)

The .zip is 3MB, I didn't feel like JPEG'ing some of them.. heh ^_^

Do you have ICQ, AIM, MSN, or YIM, so I can send it to you?
 Madjai
09-12-2002, 9:10 PM
going_postal99@hotmail.com

im on messenger now
 Madjai
09-12-2002, 9:49 PM
ok Gandalf is ready for skinning, if you want to skin him just leave me your email and ill send him to ya.
 Eets
09-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Spast! Looks as if I missed you :(

I'm Eets@GalacticBattles.com
 Grafox
09-13-2002, 1:48 AM
great! grafox@quicknet.nl
 short_ent
09-13-2002, 6:03 AM
I'm a skinner (getting better and better but still learning) and madjai is obviously an amazing modeler and eats is also a good skinner... so I' m thinking a Lord of the rings clan... I love the LoRT story and its like my life... you guys should really consider this... madjai...eats... and Short_ent... the lord of the rings clan...
I think it sounds nice... well think about it and give me an email ---- short_ent@iolwest.com----
or post a forum...
see yah round

"they are the Nazgul... niether living nor dead"
 Eets
09-13-2002, 8:59 AM
Well, I like LotR, but not enough to be in a clan based on it. :D

I'll help out with models as much as I can though.
 short_ent
09-13-2002, 1:55 PM
well then i only recuest that webe eachothers first contacts when project is born
 Grafox
09-13-2002, 2:19 PM
Got the model, already started skinning!
 Madjai
09-13-2002, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by short_ent
well then i only recuest that webe eachothers first contacts when project is born

umm... hmmm.... nope i cant figure it out. could you rephrase that?
 bomberman_xc
09-13-2002, 5:12 PM
I'm impressed Madjai. Looks great. I need a model uv mapped. Think you could help me out?? I added you to my buddy list. my e-mail is bomberman_xc@hotmail.com
 Midgit Yoda
09-13-2002, 5:47 PM
I need screens asap guys lol, Can't wait.
 Grafox
09-14-2002, 7:35 AM
 Zedar
09-14-2002, 7:57 AM
Well...
I think it looks quite good:)
 Grafox
09-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks!
Here's what I've done in the past hours

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey.jpg)
 hawk_of_war
09-14-2002, 1:27 PM
The hat wasn't blue (I believe), it was a very dark grey. His cloak ws also darker too. Otherwise it's coming along very nicely.
 Grafox
09-14-2002, 1:34 PM
 hawk_of_war
09-14-2002, 1:42 PM
eh, ok, must have been those lighting effects in the mine messing with my head.
 SiThLoRd><1000
09-14-2002, 3:42 PM
That looks kicking Grafox! Are you going to make the line where alot of his hair meets his face not so straight so it looks kind of "unkept"?
 [SWS]Strider
09-14-2002, 5:42 PM
That's looking real cool. The more LOTR the better.

*****Spoiler******

You think you could make a Gandalf the white also?
 -Chrono_MOT-
09-15-2002, 12:53 AM
I thought Christopher Lee played 'Saruman', not Sauron. I thought Sauron was the evil guy who wants the ring so he can reclaim Middle Earth....right?
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-15-2002, 12:58 AM
I think the model looks great. One suggestion though. I think that the mustache looks a bit strange. I think that maybe the mustache should overlap the lips a bit. But that's just my view. Other then that the model looks great. :)
 VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 1:50 AM
Originally posted by -Chrono_MOT-
I thought Christopher Lee played 'Saruman', not Sauron. I thought Sauron was the evil guy who wants the ring so he can reclaim Middle Earth....right?

Christopher Lee does play Saruman. And Sauron is the 'evil guy' who wants the ring back so he can overwhelm Middle Earth. You are correct.

If you really want to get into detail about the wizards, Sauron, the Balrogs, and those other magical characters, they're pretty much all the same race really.:) They just come in different forms like as they appear in the books. They are all just Miar of Illuvatar.;)

Of course you then have the ones known as the Valar (Morgoth and Manwe and all that bunch in the Silmarillion). Even though Sauron is the most powerful of the Miar the Valar could wipe the floor with Sauron and his "precious ring". It would have been funny if they hadn't have left because they could easily undo the ring's power. lol.

Just think about when Tom Bombadil was playing with the ring on his finger. lol. I figure he either was just a really powerful Miar under Sauron or maybe he was a Valar that stayed behind. There was some rumor claiming that maybe he even was Illuvatar.. lol.
 Grafox
09-15-2002, 3:43 AM
 Zedar
09-15-2002, 6:58 AM
Looks good:)
I didn't know his hat was blue either:D

And were balrogs part of the maiar too???
Sauron was Aulл's maia:)
 VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Zedar

Sauron was created by Illuvatar just like the rest. He was just a Miar that served the Valar known as Aule before Morgoth corrupted him along the Balrogs. Dragons are also Miar that were corrupted by Morgoth as well.

And Aule did create the Dwarfs, but it was Illuvatar that gave them conscious thought.;)
 VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Zedar

Sauron was created by Illuvatar just like the rest. He was just a Miar that served the Valar known as Aule before Morgoth corrupted him along the Balrogs. Dragons are also Miar that were corrupted by Morgoth as well.

And Aule did create the Dwarfs, but it was Illuvatar that gave them conscious thought.;)

And Balrogs are Miar. Anything that has powers in these stories are pretty much either Miar or Valar. The Valar are the strongest race of the two.:)
 MaaZeus
09-15-2002, 2:00 PM
Where did you get information about miars and valars and origin of Balrogs? LOTR book did not mention anything about those. From another book? What?
 VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 2:19 PM
Originally posted by MaaZeus
Where did you get information about miars and valars and origin of Balrogs? LOTR book did not mention anything about those. From another book? What?

I got all this information from The Silmarillion. It's the book that tells the story of how Middle Earth and all that stuff was created. And it also has it's own glossary of all the names of the ancient characters and stuff. That will help with understanding how everything is what it is..;)
 Eets
09-15-2002, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by Grafox
update time!

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey2.jpg)

Looking a hella lot better! Just add a slightly greener hue to his robes...
 Grafox
09-16-2002, 9:45 AM
Ok, totally redid the hair, I think it looks better now. I added some color to the clothing, still working on it.

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey3.jpg)
 Deetox187
09-16-2002, 10:19 AM
Lookin good Grafox, the hair is better.
 hawk_of_war
09-16-2002, 10:43 AM
For some reason the clothes still seem a tad bit too bright...
 Sniper Wolf
09-16-2002, 10:51 AM
I think the hair looks wet now. Perhaps blur it a little in places and blur the lines on the face a little. Make the dark hues a little softer so it won't contrast the blue hat as much. Otherwise, pretty good job.
 Sniper Wolf
09-16-2002, 10:53 AM
I figured out what was bothering me about the skin:
The folds in the fabric are too stiff. They need to be sweeping downwards. Look at pictures of Gandalf in the movie. His garments are sweeping, not sticking to him.
 Madjai
09-17-2002, 1:04 PM
alright i think im done weighting, there are _some_ clipping issues, but nothing terrible.

now i just need to find some good sounds for pain, jumping, etc...
any help?
 Eldritch
09-17-2002, 6:23 PM
Yeah, Gandalf's clothes were much baggier in the movie than they are in this model. They also weren't as smooth, they had more ridges and were rougher looking.
 Double_S84
09-20-2002, 1:40 AM
Are you making this based on the books or the movie. Well either way it doesnt matter his nose was much larger than that in both the books and movie. Its way to small Madjai.
 Andy867
09-20-2002, 7:50 AM
From just looking at the pics, it looks like Madjai and Co. are leaning more towards the books, like that one shot of Gandalf walking, and his robe is flowing with the gusting wind. By the way, the model looks Great Madjai, and great looking skin grafox.
 Madjai
09-20-2002, 4:43 PM
hes mostly based off of this pic, along with other movie images

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gmovie.txt)

and yea, your right, the nose is too small. ill fix that up, hopefully wont affect the skin.
 Double_S84
09-20-2002, 5:19 PM
I read how i wrote my last post and it seemed really rude. I did not intend it to be so. Im just really a big LOTR fan and i want to make sure it does him justice. If ne one can make it so it is probably you. May the force be with you.
 Madjai
09-20-2002, 5:22 PM
didnt seem rude to me, just good constructive criticism.
 Eldritch
09-20-2002, 6:24 PM
Madjai,

My recommendation would've been to work off a different picture for the model... that's not really the most accurate representation of Gandalf (at least in terms of the movie). Ah well, too late now.

-Anakin
 Grafox
09-21-2002, 4:24 AM
Originally posted by Madjai
hes mostly based off of this pic, along with other movie images

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gmovie.txt)

and yea, your right, the nose is too small. ill fix that up, hopefully wont affect the skin.

If you don't add any polys and don't change uvw's, it shouldn't affect the skin.
 Darth Loki
09-21-2002, 8:51 AM
Originally posted by VampireHunterD

I got all this information from The Silmarillion. It's the book that tells the story of how Middle Earth and all that stuff was created. And it also has it's own glossary of all the names of the ancient characters and stuff. That will help with understanding how everything is what it is..;)

the tolkein encyclopedia is also a fount of knowledge when it comes to LOTR information.
 Frumpus
09-21-2002, 9:21 PM
Dragons are also Miar that were corrupted by Morgoth as well.

Hmm, what chapter/page in The Silmarillion did you get that dragon info from, VH? I've read it once, and going over it - and Unfinished Tales - again; it appeared to me that we never really found out the beginnings of the dragons (Glaurung being the father of them all),

... Anything that has powers in these stories are pretty much either Miar or Valar. The Valar are the strongest race of the two.:)

I think it's more precise to say that the Maiar are of the same species as the Ainur, but less powerful. "Valar" is the title given to the 14 Ainur (Manwe, Varda, Ulmo, Aule, Yavanna, Orome, Vana, Nienna, Este, Nessa, Tulkas, Mandos, Lorien, and Vaire), who came to fashion and govern Arda (Middle Earth). These "Valar" were some of the most powerful Ainur.

BTW, Gandalf and Saruman are both Maiar (sub-class: Istari, or "wizards"), sent sort of as missionaries to Middle Earth. They're the same race as the Balrogs, Sauron, and Melian (she married an elvish king, Olwe, who became Thingol, Lord of the Sindarin Elves. She is both Elrond and Aragorn's ancient ancestor).

**EDIT: Wow. . . was browsing through www.lordoftherings.com) and found a link to this site made for the upcoming Hobbit game:

http://www.planetnintendo.com/thehobbit/info/story/)

It gives some quotes and quite a good summary of some "main" issues concerning Tolkien's Middle Earth. :)
 Double_S84
09-22-2002, 4:43 AM
God bless you for postin that site. I had a few ?s that have now been answered. Mostly bout the beggining.

Is it just me or is Gil Galad the coolest lookin person in the movie?
Page: 2 of 4