Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Shading Help

Page: 1 of 1
 Zathu Koon
08-25-2002, 7:33 PM
Hey, first time shader here.

Anyway, I am making a clan release skin for QQJJz, based off of VampD's model. I have a shader set up for the eyes, but I can't get it to work. Here is what I have:

shaders/qqjjz.shader:

models/player/qqjjz/mouth_eyes
{
{
map models/players/qqjjz/mouth_eyes_g.tga
}
{
map models/players/qqjjz/mouth_eyes.tga
blendfunc blend
rgbGen wave triangle 1 2 1 1
}
}

Whats wrong is that the mouth_eyes_g is not replacing the eyes in mouth_eyes.

And my TGAs are based off of the tuorials at planetquake located here (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials/shaders-1.shtml), mabey I have to make the part of the mouth_eyes that has the eyes to be over written a certain color?.
 Psynex
08-28-2002, 6:48 PM
Looks good except for the rbgGen part. Try changing it to identity instead of a wave trangle. That's assuming you want it to just glow.

A description of what exactly it is you are trying to do would make it easier for anyone to give you help.
 Zathu Koon
08-29-2002, 9:37 PM
It was requested that I take the VampD model, and make the eyes glow red pulsate in and out.

I was instructed at the massassi forums to plug the shader into ShaderEd2, and I got the following errors:

* Stage 1 has a file-not-found: "models/players/qqjjz/mouth_eyes_g"
* Stage 2 is not 32bit and has no alpha-gen, but tried to alpha-blendSrcBlend = GL_SRC_ALPHA, DstBlend = GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
* Stage 2 has a file-not-found: "models/players/qqjjz/mouth_eyes"
* Shader does not have a lightmap stage, but you forgot to check the 'nolightmap' flag

It appears that it is not accepting my TGA, mabey photoshop 5 is incompatible. Can someone can recommend a good TGA editor that I can make alpha channels on?

I'm just going to fiddle with stuff untill it works, if anyone can tell me how to do it, that would make it much easier.
 Psynex
09-01-2002, 2:49 PM
No, photoshop works just fine. That's what I use. According to your error, you have no alpha channel. Just convert the image to a JPG and dump the extension usage in the shader file. JK2 knows what types of texture files it can use. If a TGA is in the folder you point to that has the name you're giving, it will pick that one, if you have just a JPG of that name, it will use that, if you have both in the folder and don't specify which file type it will use both. I know because it's happened to me.
Page: 1 of 1