Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Making a 8 bit bmp for gensurf?

Page: 1 of 1
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 5:48 AM
On photoshop how do u make a bmp an 8 bit bmp becasue gensurf can only use 8 bit bmp's but when i save it it comes up with depth and 24 bit is selected but u can't select any of the others they r faded which means u can't select them.Does anyone know how to make it let u select it? Thanks
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 9:14 AM
Never used photoshop. Im a PSP fan :D
I only know how to do it in PSP.
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 9:19 AM
:( I use photoshop all the time for textures but i dunno how to select 8 bit i would us easygen but that stops my map from compiling
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 9:29 AM
Hmm. I should use gensurf then :D.

Anyway if you need to use just one texture for your terrain. You can use easygen. You specify the top and bottom,side textures while exporting it as a .map file. For example, set the top texture as "yavin\rock3" and bottom,side texture as "system\caulk"

when you export it to .map, the textures should look fine. You ungroup the whole terrain and your map would be compilable again :D
Forget about the shader and alphamap file. Jk2 is alike q3 engine. Not the same.
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 9:43 AM
How do u ungroup them all?
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 10:59 AM
The terrain is made by many triangles. You select the terrain. Right click and select Ungroup Entity. Now when you want to select the terrain. You will only select the triangles :D. One by one.

However. The compiling problem seems to be the pcx alphamap file. I looked someone's tutorial about the easygen. He says that getting the warnings about textures is normal.

The alphamap file is important and it gives an error something like "can't load maps\first.pcx as 32 bit or 8 bit image".

The whole triangle func_group(i mean the terrain) has some keys if you select the terrain and hit the N key. One of them is the alphamap file and i dont even know that we can use(properly) alphamap key for those func_group entities in jk2radiant.
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 11:03 AM
http://www.planetpointy.com/wolf/mapping/tutorials/easygen1.shtml)

Did you know that you can just create a 33x33 pixels image and some things on it to make a smooth terrain ?

Try the link below i was completely shocked when i first tried that :D

EDIT : Have you tried Terragen ? How's that one ?
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 11:52 AM
I have terragen its a program u can download of free freeware but thats for making skyboxes
 Gonkish
08-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Terragen is for skyboxes NOT in-game terrain.
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Anyway catscratch i think i'd rather us the plug-in cause u can make it exactly how u want by what u draw but on easy draw they end up pointy:( and on tatooine the hills r smooth...i think they r anyway)
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 3:07 PM
The problem is alphamap. It doesnt loads the pcx or bmp file as alphamap. Because the func_group is assigned as terrain ("terrain","1") it needs alphamap, but it doesnt recognize the file.

I'm still trying to get jk2 to load alphamap. I'll inform you if i success.
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 3:13 PM
Catscrath seeing though u r used to psp do u know how to make bmp 8 bit using that?
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 4:00 PM
Colors/decrease color depth/
or
Colors/increase color depth/

Well. There are bunch of GTK tutorials for making Terrain. However nothing for jk2radiant. And i saw the kejim_post's terrain not using any shader and alphamap at all. So i started to think maybe jk2 engine doesnt support that.

However it has some issues while compiling, I'm also thinking that maybe we put the alphamap pics to the wrong directory or we simply can't create alphamap files. Well easygen creates one and jk2radiant can't load it (sof2map.exe)

It's a shame that no one tried terrain making with easygen and using jk2radiant to compile :D

I'm still searching...
 Takeoffyouhoser
08-19-2002, 4:03 PM
SuperDude,

I have a program that came with my Pc called Photo Studio 2000 SE. If you need a height map made i'd be more than happy to make one for you!!! I do all my heightmaps with it.
just send me a bmp or jpg of what you want, or , just describe it to me..... send it to

uptheirons@earthlink.net
 Takeoffyouhoser
08-19-2002, 4:06 PM
Kejim's terrain was generated Catscratch....I read it on the Raven Forums a month ago...Use the Gensurf plugin that came with GTK Radiant.... and read the JO + Heightmap thread.....
 Catscratch
08-19-2002, 4:57 PM
It's appearently made by gensurf. I'm not talking about how to crate those triangles.
Im searching how to use alphamap, shaders to get the terrain has more than one textures. Blended textures.

As far as i know, sof2map can't do that. Can't use alphamap cuz i did everthing properly it just can't load the alphamap file.

I can make terrain like kejim_post easily cuz it uses one texture.
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 5:52 PM
Its ok now i know why it was the setting i started with that made it not being able to select 8 bit i think i might just stick with easy gen cause on that it made it like that garbage shoot on licks country roads map.
 Takeoffyouhoser
08-19-2002, 7:05 PM
I can make terrain like kejim_post easily cuz it uses one texture.

The map I want to make only has 1 texture as well. How did you use easygen to make this terrain with one texture???

Also, how long did it take you to compile...?
when my bsp is done within about 1 minute or so, the box disappears but in the text portion of radiant it says Bsp compiling.....
does this mean its still going ?????
 Catscratch
08-20-2002, 10:42 AM
You use GTK or Jk2radiant ?
There's no proof of making blended terrains to jk2. All of the easygen tutorials uses GTKradiant for Q3/RTCW maps.

However its easy to get a terrain like in the kejim_post with easygen. I'll explain it here.

Create your map by manual or heightmap method. Doesn't matter. Use only one texture. When you click Exp Map button, check "insert into a skybox" and "add an info player start" options.

You don't have to change metashader and alphamap crap cuz it's not necessary for one textured terrains.
The important thing is you need to set the texture in the Shader section.

For example, write "yavin/rock3" for top and write "system/caulk" for bottom, sides instead of "common/terrain" and "common/caulk".

Click continue. Select your maps name and save it.

Open it up with your jk2radiant/gtkradiant. Select the sky shader for the box around the terrain. You will notice the terrain looks fine and bottom and sides are textured with caulk. However you need to select the terrain and hit N key (in jk2radiant). Delete every key except "classname","func_group". Set your "_color" and "ambient" keys for the worldspawn for a global light and you're done. Save your map and compile it.

You can delete the vertexmapshader keys of worldspawn, too.

My example with only the terrain and skybox took 2 minutes and 51 seconds on win98-celeron333-96ram system.

Here are some screenshots. Well it's a bit smooth one. Low hills.
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/stuff/shot0003.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/stuff/shot0004.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/stuff/shot0005.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/stuff/shot0006.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/stuff/shot0007.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/stuff/shot0008.jpg)
 Darth_Linux
08-20-2002, 11:24 AM
to do 8bit in Photoshop, you may want to look for a command along the lines of "palette > indexed". then it will prompt you for an 8 bit pallete. From that point load your games 8bit pallete, or if the game doesn't have one, choose "optimized".

HTH
 volrathxp
08-20-2002, 12:59 PM
*opens PS to make sure he's right*

Go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed....

Select Local (Selective), Black and White, 256 Colors and leave the rest the same. Click ok.

Go to Save as... and choose bmp format and it will prompt you to save 8 bit. Enjoy! :D

-signed
Volrath, that guy who sits and plays with photoshop all night long. :p
 superdude201
08-20-2002, 2:14 PM
K thanks but does anyone know a way to stop it going like that country roads garbage disposal? Cause u just slide on it.
 Takeoffyouhoser
08-20-2002, 3:43 PM
This looks like the new JO terrain tutorial Catscratch...Why couldn't you have told me this 5 weeks ago, lol....
 Catscratch
08-20-2002, 6:41 PM
Because, i wasn't curious about terrain 5 weeks ago :P

Now i got curious. However it gets less. I'm getting curious about scripting again :P.
Page: 1 of 1