Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Volrath's Lair

Page: 2 of 2
 Jason Solo
08-29-2002, 6:03 PM
I know I wasn't posting stuff in the beggining cause i didn't register my game, but now i love the forums. This is going to be a super fun map to play after you get the textures done it should be amazing. I can't wait to see the final result. I hope you don't give away all your little secret things in your map it will be fun exploring it and messing around with stuff.:) :) :) :D :D :syoda:.

I will be happy to beta test it for you if it needs it. Jasonsolo98@hotmail.com
 volrathxp
08-29-2002, 11:44 PM
i'm bein VERY careful not to give away certain things.... it's gonna be hard. but yeah when i get to beta stages.... it will prolly be a real tight closed beta.... but i'm not even that far yet.
 volrathxp
09-01-2002, 4:52 PM
 volrathxp
09-01-2002, 6:03 PM
ok finally some ingame screenies. this is with some minor texture work, but does not in any way reflect how the finished product will exactly look. lighting is cheap cuz i just through it in to get a perspective on it from ingame.

http://stormtroopersaga.jedioutcastmaps.com/Volrath/alpha21.jpg)
http://stormtroopersaga.jedioutcastmaps.com/Volrath/alpha22.jpg)
http://stormtroopersaga.jedioutcastmaps.com/Volrath/alpha23.jpg)
http://stormtroopersaga.jedioutcastmaps.com/Volrath/alpha24.jpg)

refer to http://stormtroopersaga.jedioutcastmaps.com/Volrath/thelair.html) for all the screenies to date.
 Jason Solo
09-01-2002, 7:53 PM
Well even though you can't see really anything in your in game screenies at least your showing your constant progress. Oh by the way the dvd's look Very nice your doin a great job.
 volrathxp
09-02-2002, 12:08 AM
 lassev
09-02-2002, 1:39 AM
YES! It looks absolutely fabulous. Though, it was a bit dark, eh? Some more lights, maybe. Or maybe you just like to be mysterious.

And the DVDs truly look as good as I expected, when I asked about the covers. Do you already have the cables ready?
 volrathxp
09-02-2002, 11:22 AM
still workin on gettin to that. i wanna get the rest of the stand designs finished before I do anything else.
 volrathxp
09-05-2002, 7:42 AM
next update will have more screenies i promise hehe
 Jason Solo
09-10-2002, 4:43 PM
Bam kick it up another noch. Or if you prefer *bump*
 Quotation
09-11-2002, 12:30 AM
'The power of cheese...' Peculiar, yet original. :D Great job, volrathxp!
 volrathxp
09-26-2002, 7:18 PM
alas my internet connection died for a while so i was more busy working on getting all that straightened out than anything. i'm gonna pick back up on the map soon.
 lassev
09-27-2002, 9:19 AM
Welcome back to the Matrix.
 volrathxp
09-29-2002, 9:05 PM
 lassev
09-30-2002, 1:13 PM
Is you map designed (er, your room designed) in such a way that you can actually reach every place in the game?
 volrathxp
09-30-2002, 10:21 PM
mostly. i'm working on the details like the jump pads and stuff later once basic (basic! ha!) architecture is done. most likely the jump pads will be really stupid things like cd cases layin around or somethin. maybe pillows like a couple rats maps from RF have.
 volrathxp
10-13-2002, 7:33 PM
 Darth Link
10-13-2002, 9:16 PM
be cool if you put like a super nintendo or any video game console somewhere near the tv.thatd be really cool
 Grets Sirob
10-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Whoa, that's nice.

Truly great map, but please bot support as I usually only play with bots.

And, I just want to ask you something, will I be able to go inside the computer? Please? :D
 volrathxp
10-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Grets Sirob
Whoa, that's nice.

Truly great map, but please bot support as I usually only play with bots.

And, I just want to ask you something, will I be able to go inside the computer? Please? :D

Well... see the computer stuff is already built and textured. i might make a teleport, but you'll just have to wait and see. :D
 volrathxp
10-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Darth Link
be cool if you put like a super nintendo or any video game console somewhere near the tv.thatd be really cool

don't have any. so not gonna happen. :p
 Grets Sirob
10-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Dang I hope it's there...
I can't wait till you release, but I will, because I want quality work here.
Don't rush it.
 Irate Customer
10-14-2002, 2:59 PM
Your current links are broken. Cannot find server message is present. I was fine on the first couple of image links, then the Server was not reachable.

Just thought I would give you the head's up.
 volrathxp
10-14-2002, 6:04 PM
just checked em and they are working. :p
 volrathxp
10-18-2002, 7:58 AM
I ran another compile. No screenies yet of that. But the jump pads I've put in so far are working great. It's really coming along. Just gotta fix the lighting issues when I compile for final. Thats gonna have to be done later. Since most of the basic architecture is now finished, I can detail to my heart's content.
 __CKY__
10-19-2002, 10:59 PM
This map looks excellent i like how you got everyone of the screens have pcitures on it and the computer looks excellent sorry i juststarted posting agian so if i say its cool on somehting old thats why hehe :) Good Luck with the rest of it
 __CKY__
10-21-2002, 7:00 PM
Still being finished right?
 volrathxp
10-23-2002, 5:56 PM
Yeah it's still being finished. I had to cope with a OS death saturday night, fortunately was able to completely recover all the data pertaining to the lair, among other things. I should have some more screenies soon as i can finish some of the stupid textures.
 __CKY__
10-23-2002, 6:23 PM
YAY :D
 __CKY__
10-25-2002, 1:00 AM
Bump bump :eek: :D
 Elijah
10-25-2002, 2:16 AM
mmm, yes... interesting
 Shadriss
10-25-2002, 6:17 AM
Wow. A Rat Map. I havent seen one of these since Half-Life! :) Then again, I probobly wasn't looking too hard...

Good job on everything to this point... only thing I really have to say is this : Isn't putting an Unreal Tournament screen in a Jedi Knight II Level rather.... well... sadistic? :D
 Wudan
10-25-2002, 1:37 PM
I didn't think it was possible ...

This is beautiful.
 Andy867
10-26-2002, 6:59 PM
I just saw some in-game pics of the latest compile, and it looks awesome. the detail, the overall look will literally make one feel that they are a rat... Especially when walking up to the *COUGH* SPIDER-MAN DVD*COUGH* part of the map. But the speakers, the bed and everything look awesome. Now take into account that Ive only played one RAT map ever, so this will be a large jump, and hopefully begin a large scale production of RAT maps. Definitely a way for Volrath to leave his mark, that and his contributed work on Project: Duality. ;)

Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to play it!
 __CKY__
10-26-2002, 11:27 PM
I never have played a Rat map so this looks really fun to me and i can't wait to play it lol
 volrathxp
10-27-2002, 9:36 AM
I'm noticing a small issue with the tv. One of the pieces of it doesn't show up ingame. I'm thinkin it's a bad brush, but not sure.

anyways, i'm also noticing it's pretty hard to get under the bed, so i may have to do some stuff there to make it possible.

for those wanting to see the latest compile screens, always visit

http://stormtroopersaga.jedioutcastmaps.com/Volrath/thelair.html)

Keep in mind that the latest shots are from an unlit compiled level and that the lighting is not final.

Enjoy.
 __CKY__
10-27-2002, 1:10 PM
:eek: This map looks really good still I can't wait to play this map.
 volrathxp
11-13-2002, 8:59 PM
just thought I'd mention things are going as planned.

The tv problem has been fixed and I am pleased.

Another thing I've started on is the detail work. I'm working on making my DigiTech GNX 3 and if I'm lucky and I can handle it, my guitar will make an appearance in this map as well (with a little surprise).

Anyways, if some nice moderator could move this to the Showcase Forum as it is an active WIP, i'd be greatful
 Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 9:16 PM
Wow. That map is the shiznat.
I can't wait for this map to be out it ROCKKSSSSSSS
 volrathxp
11-20-2002, 1:13 PM
slowly but surely my friends. i'm shooting for a christmas release hopefully. merry christmas! :fett:

painfully i might add, that i have not had time to work on it lately. i've been quite busy. i'm gonna get back to it and finish up detailing the small things. so far tho, things seem to be workin well. :)
 MuRaSaMuNe
11-20-2002, 2:40 PM
Yay Christmas! :thumbsup: Lookn good, no rushing now :D GO GO GO GO YAY!!!!!! :p
 Andy867
12-31-2002, 7:52 AM
Hey Vol, any word about the Lair? It was looking good last time I saw it:)
 volrathxp
02-16-2003, 9:52 PM
sorry to say this map will never be released. i realize i spent a lot of time on it, but i simply don't have the time to complete it. sorry everyone.
 Shadriss
02-17-2003, 9:10 AM
You've GOT to be kidding, right? I thought this was REAL close to being done! What do you have left to do that is going to take so long? And is it possible foy you to hand it off to someone else to finish it up? I know I was eagerly waiting onthis one, and It looks to me like afew others were too... and I HATE disappointment!
 lassev
02-17-2003, 9:50 AM
Yes. This is indeed a sad end to a very promising project. But that's what life is all about: sad endings, sooner or later. Still, it was kind of you to give this last post to tell people the truth. Farewell.
 Eldritch
02-17-2003, 9:55 AM
Bah, at least he told you all. I didn't know either until I asked him about it over on the pcgamemods forums.

I'd like to see SOMEONE finish it though, if not you, Volrath.
 Kengo
02-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Lassev, that is really depressing, life isn't about sad endings - it's about baseball and betting on where that crazy sun will rise tommorow!

It's a real shame to hear you're not planning on finishing the map. I'm guessing you're a bit of a perfectionist and won't be happy until it's perfect, which it never wll be? I think a lot of mappers are instinctively like that, it's a god thing to a point but you can't let it stop you thinking anything is good enough, this map, as well as being extremely innovative, looks well made too. It would be really depressing to not finish it after all the time, could you make one last stab at just finishing it, and be willing to accept making a great map, not the best map ever :)

Or it could be that you don't have the time for it anymore? Maybe you could hand the project to a trusted fellow mapper to finish, there are a lot of good ones I'm sure would be happy to have a shot :D
 volrathxp
02-17-2003, 12:50 PM
the truth is at this moment in time my life is far too busy right now to complete the map. I am currently going to school (15 credit hours this quarter) plus I maintain a full time job and 3 full time websites plus another I am working on for a friend.

I may however, decide to either pick it back up or release the map file to be modified, but since this was a map of my own room, it would feel rather wrong to release it.

so yeah, it may come. i won't make any guarantees, but you never know.
 Kengo
02-17-2003, 1:49 PM
Don't know how you manage to keep all those things in the air, my idea of multi-tasking is drinking while watching the TV :D
 volrathxp
02-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
Don't know how you manage to keep all those things in the air, my idea of multi-tasking is drinking while watching the TV :D

it's tough. believe me. but, that's what good time management is for. most of the week i do homework / work stuff and try to cram site stuff in between plus do a lot of heavy development on the weekends.

and when i'm so bored it's not funny, i open photoshop and start playin.
Page: 2 of 2