Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Aleena Model - Ratts Tyrell

Page: 1 of 2
 Rekked
08-16-2002, 4:55 PM
Hiya Everybody!

(I'm from Spain, don't blame my spelling, please! :)

First Post, First model for me....

It's been a while since Tchouky released his "shrink" mod in which we could resize models for a wider variety of gameplay. We all waited for Yoda ( :yoda: ) (and it was worth it), but no more midget models have been released, with the sole exception of the Jawa ( :jawa )(is it still WIP?). I've read in some threads about a younger Anakin( :anakin: ) (from EP1), but no more. I've decided to make an Aleena buddy (the one in the podrace, the blue-ish that gets killed inside the cave). It's fun to watch it in the movie (did you see his wife crying at the end of the race?). You even see one of those in Ep2.

Returning to the main point, i've started with the head, which i have modelled from a drawing i made time ago. This is my first attempt at making a model (apart from a Millhouse VanHouten from the Simpsons, but that was crappy). Please send thoughts and comments, and if anyone of you can skin, maybe you can help me finishing the model.

The URL for the first screenies:

http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model) (http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model)

- Rekked -
 Madjai
08-16-2002, 5:44 PM
you could probably add more detail around the eyes and less around the neck. otherwise its looking good.
 Rekked
08-16-2002, 6:39 PM
Thanks for the reply, man!

I'll stick with your advise, i'll try to detail the eye; Right now i'm working the torso and tummy... i hope that for tomorrow (saturday) afternoon i can show you some shots of an unlegged and unarmed aleena.
 BradFu
08-16-2002, 7:48 PM
Cool! I always liked Ratts. Earlier in Episode 1, when Qui-Gon and co. first enter Mos Espa, you can see a bunch of these fellows scampering about :)
 Rekked
08-17-2002, 6:31 AM
Yes, Brad Fu, all the scenes in Ep1 in which Aleena appear are related.

The first one is the one you mentioned, in which Tyrell's family arrive at Tatooine, and are having a look at Mos Espa as tourists. The second one (the one included in the DVD), Ratts and his family are introduced. Then Ratts dies in the race, and then later, when Qui-Gonn and Watto are discusing about the bet, Ratts family walk by at the background, crying. I remember having heard Rick McAllum that this was Lucas' idea to insert small stories in the movie... which rocks.

Anyway, back to work, i hope to get the aleena body for this afternoon!
 Kn1ves
08-17-2002, 4:04 PM
Although it's abit early to start worrying about those, I bet you can find some taunts and sounds of his on that god-awful Pod Racer game's CD.
 Rekked
08-19-2002, 1:38 PM
Ok, i've done the little update i promessed.

Only the higher part of the torso don, but as i am now studying i can't do much. I've donde a little skin too, but it looks crappy (it's my first attempt at skinning), and as it is not going to be a incredible mesh, i'll need a good skinner so as to make it worth downloading for the community.

About the taunts...

I've been watching TPM and Ep2 lately, and the only things that come out of any aleena is an awful sound close to what a long burp sounds like if you speed it up.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll try to look for any sound from the aleena character in Ep1 Racing game, ill have a look also to the 3d model so as to see how a 3d aleena looks like. Thanks for the idea, and if anybody wants to help, he/she is welcome... (I may be repeting myself...)

:evanpiel: :ewok: :jawa <- Midget rocks!
 Rekked
08-19-2002, 3:01 PM
yes, this is the last thing to do but...

Kn1ves, i checked the taunts for Ratts Tyerell in Ep1 Racer, they are not what I expected, but anyway, i uploaded them to the geocities site ( http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model) ) in mp3 format for all of you to hear... and comment (hey, there have been 6 posts and 3 are mine!!! :D :D :D )

well.. i'll get back to work so that the aleena model gets finished before new years eve!
 Rekked
08-19-2002, 6:32 PM
3rd update today, guys... please write in!

Torso finished, taunts uploaded, and a question for you expert modelers...

Is it good to use mesh smooth in gmax?

i like to use it - makes my meshes look cool when they are crappy, but i've read out there that it isn't good to use, but haven't heard why... is it possible that someone PM's me to explain me these? anyway i guess i'll start a thread out there...

more info on the mesh... right now it's about 450 polys... so there's plenty of room for details, although arms and legas are missing... i'm going to have to check the eyes and neck as some of you did.

The URL of the web page is: http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/)
The URL for the last screenshot is:
http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/screen05.txt)

Comments, please!!!
:cry7: :cry7: :cry7:
 BradFu
08-19-2002, 7:14 PM
Looking good :)

For the meshsmooth, I've also heard it's not a good idea, but I use it anyway. In some cases, without any iterations so it doesn't up the poly count any.

For the skin, I wouldn't worry about making it look good right now, wait till you can view it in ModView. GMax doesn't have any render options, and the Perspective view doesn't give you a very good idea of what the skin actually looks like.
 Rekked
08-22-2002, 3:40 PM
hi!
another little update on the little b*st*rd... I just modified the eyes and jaws for more realism... the end of its cheeks are no longer allied with the rest of the face, something which i should have modified earlier. Still, the polycount is very low, so i'd like you guys to tell me where should i focus my efforts. The update is at:

http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/screen06.txt)

Send in your thoughts!
 Wes Marrakesh
08-22-2002, 3:57 PM
I *think* I deciphered the last taunt:
Todjak-conquise-scocha-bocci
looks good
 Rekked
08-24-2002, 6:03 PM
I just finished doing the arm for the poor little b*st*rd, but i started from a new different mesh (a cilinder). Like I said in my first post, i am new to modelling in gMax and i don't know how to put together the arm and teh shoulder. If somone could PM and tell me how to do it it would be of great help. Thanks in advance.

If this is solved, i think the hole model could be ready to skin in a couple of days...
 PODguy87
08-24-2002, 8:56 PM
great work man, keep it up, looking nice

Ian
 Rekked
08-26-2002, 6:15 PM
Just wanted to say that the arm is done...

...It was done saturday night, and attached to the shoulder, but it just didn't look right, so i remodelled another arm today and it looks better, the only thing is that i have to make surgery and implant it to my blue-ish buddy... :D :D :D

Also, i've done some concept art of an Aleena Jedi (haven't got a name for it yet), which will be my next project (if i ever finsh the first). I hope i can upload the pic tomorrow for you guys to see. Also, i will upload the arm attached to the torso, and (if everything goes ok) i may start the legs.
 Sounds Risky
08-26-2002, 6:41 PM
He's looking quite nice Rekked.
 SithMaster01
08-26-2002, 7:18 PM
this will be great we need another little guy to fight yoda!
 Rekked
08-27-2002, 6:28 PM
As i promesed yesterday:

http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/concept2.txt)

(Bit ****ty, I just scanned it, gave a quick color layer and some shinning for the better look ~ 3 minutes)
 adillon
08-27-2002, 7:21 PM
rekked,

i REALLY dig the concept art. and the model is looking very nice. guess with the jedimod, your model can be as small as you want, huh?

keep up the great work! :D
 Sounds Risky
08-27-2002, 7:45 PM
I actually went ahead and calculated Ratts Tyrell's height in JediMod, so you'll probably want to mention it in the readme file.

"aleena" 0.44 0.70

The saber is just a guess though, you can really set it to whatever number you think would fit.
 Rekked
08-28-2002, 12:36 PM
hey, guys, thanks for the feedback! Pumping up the thread!

I just have to do the leg... but exams keep me from getting into gMax! :( :( :(

I'll try to gather some time... maybe sleeping less?? :D
 dreamer
08-28-2002, 12:43 PM
hey nice model but just one question is he really a jedi?
if not maybe u can try to make other small children that yoda was teaching in EP II in one of the scenes in the jedi temple, the one where obiwan wanted to ask yoda about the lost planet Kamino and yoda says, "Lost a planet, Mater ObiWan has, how embarassing, how embarassing..."
 Rekked
08-28-2002, 5:05 PM
Yeah, that'll be cool. :) :)

Not only the padawans, i think that every alien model made by us should go with jedi/sith robes to make unique characters for us to use. I will be releasing the basic Aleena model, and as long as its worth it, i will modify it to make a Jedi/Sith Aleena, and then re-release it.

MODELERS OF THE WORLD: PLEASE MAKE JEDI/SITH ROBES IN EVERY ALIEN MODEL!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 SithMaster01
08-28-2002, 6:17 PM
How about a release date?
 Rekked
08-28-2002, 6:37 PM
Sorry, no release date.

My exams are begining next monday... studying hard for them.
Basically, the main problem is that this is my first model ever. In a few days (hopefully), the model will be finished and ready for exporting, but i want to do things the right way, and it's going to take me some time. Then I'll give it to mariners for a wonderfull skin (if any of you want to try, you're welcome...), and after some beta testing, it'll be out.

How much time is that? My exams are begining on monday, and after that, there's two weeks of almost no activity for me. I hope i get it to mariners before sunday, so that in those two weeks the aleena gets skinned. So expect mid-september for the model. I know it's ****ty, i wish i had started modelling it before (i had the concept art, which i will upload completely sometime, done in early july).

Anyway, guys, thanks for the constant feedback and support
 Rekked
09-29-2002, 9:40 AM
Ok, I just attached the arm to the torso, and only the leg is left. Let's see if i can do it before tonight and then get someone to weight it or just weight it myself.

There's some more screenies at the usual aleena WIP homepage:

www.geocities.com/aleena_model)
 JediQuermian
09-29-2002, 3:52 PM
Sorry to be posting in this forum about this but I'm surprised there is not many podracers out there. I wish someone could make Ben Quadinaros or something - the clumsy pudgy-faced guy in Episode 1 that was unable to get his engine started or even any podracer. The model that your working on right now looks real cool btw and I hope it's coming along good.
 inbredyokel
09-29-2002, 3:52 PM
I found a couple interesting pictures of aleena characters on the star wars rpg artists guild site...

http://www.starwars-rpg.net/swag/view.php?photo_id=104&screen=0&action=&keyword=&date=&type=search)

http://www.starwars-rpg.net/swag/view.php?photo_id=164&screen=0&action=&keyword=&date=&type=search)

The jedi character looks very cool...perhaps you could base your sith/jedi aleena off of it?

Anyway, looking very good. We need more alien and female models!
 Rekked
09-29-2002, 4:57 PM
Ben Quadrinaros? Why not? It would look ackward, anyway, because his torso is actually his face...

About the concept art.... the Jedi looks cool, but he really doesn't look like an aleena... the body is just too human. I like better the "Jack of all Trades" cooncept art, beacuse the body looks more dwarfish.. just like ratts tyerell in Ep1.

About the Jedi/Sith robes... yeah, i guess i was too excited about doing that, but right now i guess it would take me like a lot of time, and i want them released as soon as I can.

Maybe I should release 2 models, tha basic aleena and Ratts Tyerell (which was waht i was aiming for, basically). The jedi/sith will come after
 Darth Loki
09-29-2002, 9:14 PM
Ben Quadrinaros would be awesome. However, with all these models coming out, shouldn't someone make a mod that removes the icon limit in multiplayer?
 Zion
09-30-2002, 12:54 PM
Good Job on the Model thus far. Looks good, IMHO.

Anyway, in regards to the Jedi Version of your model, I'd suggest checking out the comic "Jedi Council: Acts of War". In it there was a Aleena Jedi named Tsui Choi. I'll check the 'net to see if I can find any pics, but I thought I'd just fill you in, in the mean time.

Update: I found a page with some pics. Not the best, but they're all I could find for now.

http://jediencyclopedia.150m.com/tsuichoi.html)
 Rekked
10-01-2002, 2:57 PM
Hey, that concept art rocks! And way too much that Aleena Jedi! I'm going to check if i can get that comic in spain!

I'll be basing my character, as i have previously stated, in Ratts Tyerell. The main differences from the actual model are:
1)The glasses
2)Things around the arm and shoulder
3) It has no feet :D

After that, I'll be twitching the model so as to make an aleena jedi, probably the Jedi stated in that page (i can't remember his name right now). But that would be a different release.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Grets Sirob
10-01-2002, 5:29 PM
I'm not a modeller, but I believe there is a function called "surf" or whatever, maybe you could investigate this as it allows you to turn surfaces on and off.

Maybe you could have your robe be a surf on/off thing?
 Rekked
10-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Ok, i've been looking both screenshots from the film as well as comic strips, and i found that Aleena are portrayed with two different types of legs. To show this, i've uploaded two images that show what i mean. You can see this at:

http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/concept.htm)

or access it directly from:

http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/leg01.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/aleena_model/leg02.txt)

Although i like more the comic legs, these may not be a "canon" aleena, so please send in thoughts for what you think is better.
 Padawan_7
10-05-2002, 1:08 PM
Well I'm a big stickler for movie only content. But, keep in mind that the picture from the movie that you're referencing is of a child (Which means, he/she is probably not yet full developed).
 Rekked
10-06-2002, 6:01 PM
yeah, padawan, that's true... but the she-aleena on the left has almost the same kind of legs... more thoughts?

Oh, and by the way, i'm going to have to leave the model for this week, as I have to send the computer to be repaired. Hope i have it for thursday as latest. On the meanwhile, i'll be cheking the forums, so feel free to send all the feedback you want!
 Zion
10-07-2002, 10:52 AM
Since you can't see the entirety of the mother's leg, it would probably be best to leave her out of it, but, essentially, all of their legs are similar. One of the points of difference between the Child and mother and Choi is that the lower part of the leg of the two have like shoes/leggings covering part of the leg, while the Jedi is completely bare.

Also, I would assume that the Jedi's leg would be more lean/ muscular, showing more of the understructure, while the other two, being civilian, could have a layer of fat covering their legs, which could be another reason.

Other than that, not really sure what to say. I do agree with the comment about lack of development on the child, though. :racer:
 Rekked
10-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Due to popular demand, Ill be modelling the more muscular and weird-looking birdy leg. That's the one that I prefered, so let's see what my modelling skills are up to.
 Padawan_7
10-09-2002, 1:13 PM
That's cool Rekked.
When do you think you'll get your computer back?
Oh, yeah, and how is Spain this time of year? :)
 Rekked
10-13-2002, 5:23 PM
I'm getting my computer tomorrow!
(I hate these fujitsu guys, it took them a week to change a DVD and the power supply unit from my computer... while for the average computer user, it would have taken.. 10 minutes!)
 Rekked
10-14-2002, 4:59 PM
At last i got my computer! I hope to be updating the page as soon as i can.

Rekked
 Rekked
12-25-2002, 7:57 AM
Just let you know that the leg is done and i will post some screenshots this afternoon, i hope
 Scouttrooper
12-25-2002, 10:06 AM
dont have read all this ,.. :) cool model !!!

cant wait for new shots

THIS must go to the showcase/modelling thread right ?
 Scouttrooper
01-05-2003, 8:55 AM
BUMP

um dunno but this is a showcase of a model right ??
why issent it in the showcase/modelling forum ?
 Wolfey
01-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Cuz it isnt! ;)
Great job Rekked, keep up the good work!
:p
 Lord Tnuc
01-05-2003, 9:14 PM
Yes, great job. I do hope you complete this. I'd love to beta test it and whatnot, btw. I'm having high hopes for this model.....I really like the drawing of the concept, by the way...
 El Sitherino
01-05-2003, 9:36 PM
i agree good job on this.
 Rekked
01-10-2003, 12:19 PM
New Screenies! The model is almost done, but i can't get the right approach to weld leg to torso... right now, i have "temporarily" attached it right away.

Any thoughts?:rolleyes:
 Hellfire Jedi
01-10-2003, 3:58 PM
ts gOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
once u get it done may i beta test this?
 Rekked
01-10-2003, 4:09 PM
Yeah, leg is welded, now it's time for the tedious assimilation of the model. Things are moving slow, but i want to finish this model and then begin with a proyect i had long time ago... a digital me!

(i don't exepect anyone to download it, though :D :D :D )

For all of you that you want to beta test it... there are already people in the list, i guess two more will not be a problem.. ;)
Page: 1 of 2