Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

advice needed

Page: 1 of 1
 Thew Rydur
08-07-2002, 10:29 PM
I'm considering either getting a new computer or a broadband connection. I want to know what you think would be more useful for Galaxies. Right now my computer (a dell) has a Pentium 3 866, Geforce 2, about 384 megs of ram, and a 40 gig hard drive. Here (http://www.abspc.com/app/config.asp?mono=1364&view=1) is the system im considering. Of course I could just get the broadband and update my current computer...
 Ewok Hunter
08-08-2002, 12:53 AM
your computer is slightly better than mine. IMO you should get broadband and maybe a new graphics card. a litle bit more RAM never hurt anybody either and now it's very cheap.
 setsuko
08-08-2002, 7:17 AM
You have about the same computer as I have. Hopefully, it will be enought. On the other hand, I would recommend everyone to get a broadband connection. It is the most convenient thing, evah. Though, be prepared to waste a lot of time on the internet if you do.
 FunClown
08-08-2002, 9:18 AM
Why don't you get say a cheaper computer and then you could afford both broadband and the pc.

For instance, get rid of the raid set up and get one Maxto 60GB 7200RPM drive. Just get a noral A7V333 rather than the one with RAID that is more expensive. See if that helps.

However, I reckon if you wait a few months you could get that ATI 9700 which is a really great card (ie better than Ti4600). I say this because it is at least a few months until SWG comes out. So there is not much rush to get your new computer.

But actually I'm looking at that computer and that is something I definitely can't afford. So thats where the "I would make it cheaper" instinct is coming in for me. :)

It just seems like you are getting the best of the best that is currently out.
 Gaalgoth
08-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Also, keep in mind that the best of the best now will be alot cheaper in a couple months, if that long. Buying the best of the best is rarely a good idea because if you buy things a little bit older you'll hardly ever know the difference and you'll save alot of money (ie going 2.26 p4 over a 2.53 p4)
 Gaalgoth
08-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Oh yeah, here's another thing. Is Pentium better then Athalon? I've never been able to tell
 Thew Rydur
08-08-2002, 1:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I'll go with the broadband and maybe look into getting a cheaper computer. If not I think I'll just get a new graphics card and maybe some more ram.
 Ewok Hunter
08-08-2002, 9:13 PM
Originally posted by Gaalgoth
Oh yeah, here's another thing. Is Pentium better then Athalon? I've never been able to tell
not sure, think they benchemarked better in differnt areas...
 Thew Rydur
08-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Athlons are cheaper though.
 Ewok Hunter
08-08-2002, 11:12 PM
oh, forgot about that :(
 YourGod
08-09-2002, 3:36 AM
Originally posted by Gaalgoth

as it was said in another thread - i 4get which...
P4 = really fast w/lots of errors
AMD Athlon = equally fast w/less errors for less $$

& to Thew...
i jus bought myself a new computer almost as good as the one you're buying for $788...if you go to www.pricewatch.com), you can find amazing prices - as long as you know how to assemble the parts that you buy....this way, you'd get a badass computer, & still have the $$ for broadband:)
 setsuko
08-09-2002, 5:51 AM
About the pentium vs athlon, well, yes, that was true 1999. I am not so sure anymore, YourGod.
 Ewok Hunter
08-09-2002, 2:53 PM
anyone have any info about how the chips match up NOW?
 setsuko
08-09-2002, 4:29 PM
Check this place (http://www.cpuscorecard.com/) out.
 Ewok Hunter
08-09-2002, 5:34 PM
uh, can you spell it out for me? that sight was very preaty but I didn't quite understand:(
 Gaalgoth
08-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Isn't the fastest athalon compared to a 1.8 ghz machine? Cause pentiums get up to 2.53 ghz, and that's quite a bit faster.....
 Ewok Hunter
08-10-2002, 12:50 AM
that's what i was talking about they are comparing varying levels of the processers with similar powered processers from companies not next to each other for easy comparison :(
 FunClown
08-10-2002, 6:50 AM
Athlon provides the best bang for the buck. If you want the absolutely fastest money can buy get the P4 2.53GHZ. Otherwise, get an Athlon.
 Ewok Hunter
08-10-2002, 2:18 PM
OK, thanks funclown. not like I could afford a p4 2.53 ghz anyway
 setsuko
08-10-2002, 8:44 PM
You don't understand the link? Outgeeked by me, that's bad, boys! ;)

All the facts are there. If you want to be into computers, learn to descipher it. And no, I should not post while drunk. It's just like driving. Not pretty, that is.

EDIT: And well, I would say that a celeron cpu is the most mhz per buck, really. Again, Amd was cool three years ago, back in the 600 mHz days. I am not impressed by their latest ratio of mhz/dollar.

EDIT 2: And well, about quality: my p3 800 chip has survived a bit of overclocking, and still manage to pull my XP damn well. My pal Zeugma burnt his athlon chip half a year ago. So I must say that when it comes to reliability, I would choose a pentium III chip. Just my experience, sure, but what else am I to go by?
 FunClown
08-12-2002, 8:11 AM
Setsuko,

You shouldn't compare a celeron chip to an XP. celeron should be compared to a duron.

BTW the reason a celeron is cheaper MHz vs $ is because of the less Cache. That stuff cost money and that definitely hampers the celeron. Also, do you really think you would get better price/performance from a P4 than a XP? Do the math dude.

P4 MHz shouldn't even be compared to XP MHz because the XP does more instructions per clock than a P4.

Have you been outgeeked yet? :)
 Ewok Hunter
08-12-2002, 10:17 PM
:wstupid: don't you mean dudette Funclown ;)
 FunClown
08-12-2002, 10:35 PM
I don't know. :confused:

Let's just say dude can refer to both genders. ;)
 Ewok Hunter
08-12-2002, 11:00 PM
how about... "yo' Homies" instead :p
 setsuko
08-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by FunClown
You shouldn't compare a celeron chip to an XP

Eeeh.. by the term "pull my XP", I was referring to my Windows XP installation, not that my p3 chip would somehow power an Athlon XP(T) chip in some weird way. Sorry if I confused you! :)

And yes, the cache is really important, as is the bus speed. But what we discussed was NOT the power of the chip, but prestanda per buck paid. A celeron (or duron) is not as powerful as the latest athlon cpu's, that's for sure. But some people can't afford the latest, that's a fact. Also, the cache's importance has to do with that memory you have and what video card, a low cache is not as hampering on all systems as they are on others.

Also, you'll want to check the temperature of the cpu, if you want to 'tamper' with it. A burnt chip processes at a clockspeed of 0! :D

EDIT: yes, ewokhunter, you can call me your 'homie'. But then I would have to call you my bitch. It's one of those give and take things, you know.
 FunClown
08-14-2002, 9:02 AM
If you're overclocking your AthlonXP I would say your experience is quite right. That thing burns hot. I have a Athlon T'Bird 1.2GHz myself and it runs at 50degrees celsius with good quality cooling as well. I would say you already know this but the best advice would be to anybody would be to try to keep the air temperature inside your computer case cooler before attempting to overclock an XP to noticable levels.

P4's are much better overclockers because they run cooler and have some protection like automatically slowing down clock speed IMO but they're still more expensive. Especially for the non-overclocker like me. I wouldn't even overclock my voodoo2 above stock 93MHz levels to 94MHz just mid last year.
Page: 1 of 1