Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is Scripting Moves...Cheating?

Page: 1 of 1
 its420onthedot
03-14-2002, 8:34 PM
I dont' know if I understand what you mean by hacking of your character. But I know that most of the "attack" scripts out there do exactly that!
 its420onthedot
07-24-2002, 3:23 AM
I don't normally start threads all. And trust me, I'll probably get some flames from those out there that do script moves.

So cmon fellow jedis. Please weigh in with your thoughts and ideas concering this issue.

Do you consider scripting for moves (pause, and the pause is important) cheating?
 Homosexual Ewok
07-24-2002, 4:54 AM
Honestly, man scripts may do things faster or more precise, but if you compare them to client side hacks like aim bots, they are pretty tame.
Even the most complex Force combo/kick scripts don't do the user much good when up against a better player.

Now that's not to say I haven't gotten nailed by a few yaw spin yellow finisher scripts, but any player with 1/2 a brain simply stays on his toes and has a counter ready for the scripted move that is sure to be repeated.

Technically, no, it's not cheating because both players can do it.

It is simply exploiting the Quake 3 console.

Can you justify using exploits to win?

Most players won't.
 ToppDog
07-24-2002, 4:15 PM
I agree with Ewok. I'ts not technically cheating, but it can still be very uncool depending on the scripts or the circumstances in which they're used.

I think binding simple combos (like the special moves) to a key is fine, as long as you're not scripting something in that you couldn't do with the normal move/attack buttons.

If you're just goofing around with a bud then I don't care what scripts you use. Sometimes getting killed by a yellow DFA @ 9999 yawspeed can be pretty damn funny!

I also don't think it's bad to use a script against a d*ckhead player for payback purposes or to counter an obvious script that he's using against you.

But, yes, to use a superscript to get you out of a jam because you just plain suck against a player who is fighting fair is lame.
 its420onthedot
07-24-2002, 4:22 PM
I should probably clarify. I don't consider yawspeed scripting. Here's the scenario I'm thinking of:

Some guy kicks you then automatically goes into DFA, which I haven't been able to pull off by just doing normal moves. Another is the obvious spinning backstab. Kick scripts I consider cheating as well. If you need a script to tap jump twice, you suck.

Scripting in my opinion can be very useful, but unfair in countless ways. And the problem is that 99% of ppl that script, are arrogant and obnoxious. They think they are a god at this game because they got all their moves binded to one key, opposed to all of us who do the moves regularaly.

I wouldn't have a problem with them if they were respectable. When I see one, 9/10 they ruin the game for all because of their cocky attitude.
 leXX
07-24-2002, 5:41 PM
I think people who script moves are at a disadvantage because you are not in control of the move once the key is pressed. What I mean is, once a scripted move is executed, you can't stop it whereas playing normally, you can stop halfway through a move...so go ahead scripters, cheat all you like! :D If you can't do the special moves yourself which just requires hitting a couple of keys and a mouse button, then your pretty sad in my book.
 teutonicknight
07-24-2002, 5:46 PM
I consider scripting cheap.

Like I consider people who kill me when i'm a way from the keyboard, or when I am chatting.
 ToppDog
07-24-2002, 7:55 PM
Originally posted by lexx
I think people who script moves are at a disadvantage because you are not in control of the move once the key is pressed. What I mean is, once a scripted move is executed, you can't stop it whereas playing normally, you can stop halfway through a move...so go ahead scripters, cheat all you like! :D If you can't do the special moves yourself which just requires hitting a couple of keys and a mouse button, then your pretty sad in my book.

I agree with you to a point about the disadvantage thing, which is why I don't use or recommend using long, drawn out, complicated, multi combo scripts. They are too inflexible & make for boring gameplay.

But I think simple keybinds for the special moves are OK such as:

bind x "+movedown; +forward; +attack" for blue lunge

bind y "+forward; +moveup; +attack" for yellow Twirl/DFA

bind z "+attack; + forward; +moveup" for red Hack/DFA (2nd part only)

With these simple binds there is no difference or disadvantage from doing the moves correctly with the individual keypresses, because either way you are locked into the same animations until the moves are completed.

IMHO the reason we are seeing an increase in combo type moves in PC games is because programmers are designing games to be easily transferred to console platforms where combos are necessary due to the lack of keys to choose from, & not because the programmers feel pressing one button to perform a move is cheating.

There also seems to be less & less support for controllers for PC games, which contributes to the use of scripts by people who are forced to program their controllers themselves. This is how I got started with scripting. I have over $500 worth of gaming equipment that I'm tired of watching collect dust while I am forced to use a stinking keyboard.
 its420onthedot
07-24-2002, 8:17 PM
I believe that the long, drawn out scripts put that person at a disadvantage because the script has to complete. However, when someone does a spinning backstab, that has to be labeled as an advantage to that player, especially in a crowded FFA.

I consider scripting the BS a cheat as well. The scripter does not have to be directly in front of his opponent, with back turned, to perform it. Therefore, they do not have to be in the correct position to carry it out, doing it whenver they plz.

Also, kick scripts get on my nerves. I consider myself to be a very skillful kicker and the other night a guy was kickin the s**t out of me!!!! I couldn't get one kick in. I asked if he used a kick script, and of course, he didn't reply to that or any other questions players had for him.

I dunno. There are cheats for every video game out there and I guess that we will have to live with the ppl that exploit them. But man, they are obnoxious.
 ToppDog
07-24-2002, 9:49 PM
Originally posted by its420onthedot
...when someone does a spinning backstab, that has to be labeled as an advantage to that player, especially in a crowded FFA.

I consider scripting the BS a cheat as well. The scripter does not have to be directly in front of his opponent, with back turned, to perform it. Therefore, they do not have to be in the correct position to carry it out, doing it whenver they plz....

I agree. This is an example of a script I would consider uncool unless you're goofing around with a bud, or if you're using it as payback on someone else who is using it unfairly. The good thing is the new patch takes care of a lot of this. You could still make a script to turn you real fast & then execute a BS, but an exact 180 degree turn is never a guarantee due to ping, you can't pivot anymore, & the damage is no longer an instant kill. THANK GOD!!!
 Kyth'emos
07-24-2002, 10:58 PM
I really don't care if someone scripts a move as long as it is just the move and doesn't involve any hacking of my character.
Page: 1 of 1