Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Casablanca

Page: 1 of 1
 Gexx
07-17-2002, 1:06 PM
Has anyone seen it? I really like that movie. It's almost completely like year 2. or the Maltese Falcon. I love noir.
 Darth Eggplant
07-17-2002, 1:39 PM
:jawa
I watched it the other night in fact.
yes there is Casablanca in there
for sure. Glottis aka Sam
Manny as Rick
the police chief even looks like
Claude Reins.
another funny spoof on Casablanca
was warnerbros cartoon Carrotblanca.
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 2:28 PM
I knew Casa had something to do with Grim's genre... as in the noir bit of it. I haven't seen Casa really, but I know enough of it to assume y'all're right. There is an animй series called Noir. I was thinking of buying it.
 Darth Eggplant
07-17-2002, 8:04 PM
you should think about buying
or renting Casablanca Isis.
I know you love Anime
but sit down and brace
yourself:
"Anime is not everything"
and you can learn some things
about life in B&W
with actual people too.:D
 Isis Kaldara
07-19-2002, 12:13 AM
I know animй isn't everything. In fact, I have more Disney, Dreamworks, WB, and Universal films than animй. Anyway, I heard Casablanca was a fantastic movie for being made when and how it was. I only hope it's as good as all the other old films I have.
 MeddlingMonk
07-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Talk about left-handed compliments. :p

Personally I'd much rather see anything made in the '30s to anything in theaters now.

I remember once getting into this discussion about movies with a guy who grew up in the '20s. Funny thing was I knew more '20s and '30s trivia that he did. :rolleyes:
 Isis Kaldara
07-19-2002, 12:46 PM
I must say, I agree. People really can't come up with original movies anymore. They're mostly rip-offs of the old good ones. That or they consist of recycled jokes and humor and love lives and adventures and actions and what have you.
 Metallus
07-19-2002, 1:31 PM
I haven't seen Casablanca yet. I have, however, grown a fondness for other noir films from studying the genre briefly in an English class a couple years ago. I actually lent Grim Fandango to my teacher and he loved it (he did end up getting stuck and giving up, though. :p).

Anyway, I have seen several other classics, such as Force of Evil, Touch of Evil, The Maltese Falcon, Night of the Hunter, Blade Runner, and a few others. There's something really appealing about the look of those movies; I can't really explain it.

Has anyone here seen "The Man Who Wasn't There"? It's a rather new film noir done by the Coen brothers, and it stars Billy Bob Thornton. It's outstanding.
 GendoTheGreat
07-19-2002, 1:49 PM
I'm ashamed to admit it, I have never seen Casablanca. I set out to the video store to get it, but I'm always distracted by some brightly coloured cretin fodder. For shame.
 Darth Eggplant
07-19-2002, 2:18 PM
Metallus if you liked
the Maltese Falcon
you will Love Casablanca
it is just such a classic
and like many times people
say that, this time it is not
a cliche.

(funny thing about Maltese)
first time I saw it I had
the running john Anderson song
friends of mr. Cairo going
through my head as the movie
moved along.
another really great film is
the African Queen.
I think 2 of my fav Boggart
flics of all time.

and even though Casablanca
is in GF, it will not spoil
the game for new players
it is just really funny
when you've seen Casablanca
and then end up in Manny's cafe.
 GendoTheGreat
07-19-2002, 4:11 PM
African Queen is an excellent movie.
 mxbx
07-19-2002, 5:39 PM
Metallus: How does "The Man Who Wasn't There" compare with such Coen classics as "The Big Lebowski", "Raising Arizona" or "The Hudsucker Proxy"?
Aside from the whole noir aspect, I mean.
 Isis Kaldara
07-20-2002, 7:32 AM
Hmm...

Metallus, did you mention Blade Runner? Yes, it is an excellent movie. If you liked that and have no objections to watching animй, I suggest "Armitage III". My Dad was watching it with me and mentioned how much like Blade Runner it was.
 Gabez
07-23-2002, 3:13 PM
If I remember rightly, the GF Press release states that it's like Casablanca and The Big Sleep. The same was said for Discworld Noir.

Now I watched The Big Sleep. It's a great film. But I didn't see one GF refference or anything. However, it's story and characters are very similar to Discworld Noir's main plot.
 Isis Kaldara
07-23-2002, 3:17 PM
Noir? That's a Discworld novel? Huh....
 Darth Eggplant
07-24-2002, 2:11 AM
Discworld Noir is the only Discworld
game that I do not own, only saw it
once for short time then it was gone.
want to play it however.
someday maybe
 Isis Kaldara
07-24-2002, 3:32 PM
I'm confused... The only Discworld I've hear of is the book series by Terry Pratchett.
 GendoTheGreat
07-27-2002, 11:04 AM
Can anyone tell me how many Discworld games there are, and their names?
 spoon_man
08-09-2002, 11:05 PM
I've seen Casablanca time and time again and it's always genius. There are a lot of brilliant films out today as long as you look beyond all the mainstreem hollywood bull****. Like Waking Life came out just last year and I think it's one of the most brilliant films ever made.

There are a lot of genius films made in the 20s and 30s aswell. And Bogie is probably the coolest film star known to man.

As for Discworld I read all of the books when I was about 12 and I still think it's brilliant and I'm still reading them in between other things. The games are really good as well.
 Darth Eggplant
08-10-2002, 1:40 AM
Gendo three discworld games to my knowledge
Discworld
Discworld 2
and discworld noir or something
they are by pygnosis or something
most likely out of print older games for
slower comps but still fun to play
send me a pm and we'll talk.
 Isis Kaldara
08-10-2002, 4:41 PM
; 4/\/\ 57;11 <0/\/|=\_/53|)....
 manny_c444
08-14-2002, 4:22 PM
I think alot of old movies (I don't know the time period but during the B&W era) are more funny then today's comdies.

They don't have to rely on perverted devices to get a laugh. I suggest everyone to find a film named "1 2 3" and watch it. Its about a Coca-Cola executive who is shafted by the company and posted as a director of operations in Berlin (when it was broken between the allies and the Soviets). The film has tons of Communist and Nazi humor that is unofrgettably funny.

They torture a Russian with American pop music! Whats more brilliant than that??

!
 GendoTheGreat
08-14-2002, 5:05 PM
I wholeheartedly concur. Don't make 'em like they used to. Ever watch any Norman Wisdom? And let's not forget the classics: Abbot & Costello, Marx Bros. and the rest. Does anyone recall that Abbot & Costello cartoon they used to make? I barely remember it myself, or if it was funny.
 Darth Eggplant
08-15-2002, 12:16 AM
:jawa yes B&W is good stuff!
I mean I watched Spartacus
loads of times before I realized
what the fade to black meant,
because at the end when she kept
showing him their son,
I kept scratching my head
wondering when they ever
got around to Pitching Woo.

and nobody to this day
does Whoes on First
as well as they did.
there's is the first,
last and always there.
 spoon_man
08-16-2002, 3:39 AM
The Marx Brothers films are absolute genius.
 GendoTheGreat
08-16-2002, 7:26 AM
My favourite is the one where they're in that Big Store. Damned if I can remember the name of it, though.
 MeddlingMonk
08-18-2002, 12:33 AM
Yeah, sure you don't remember the name. And I certainly hope you despise the Tenement Symphony. Now there's a waste of celluloid. Still, The Big Store is worth it for Virginia O'Brien's shtick...especially if you're not prepared for it.
 GendoTheGreat
08-18-2002, 1:10 AM
Tenement Symphony? The Marc Almond album?
 Darth Eggplant
08-18-2002, 1:46 AM
*black angst siggy siggy
from the great one. Ooooo!*
 MeddlingMonk
08-22-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by GendoTheGreat
Tenement Symphony? The Marc Almond album?

No, that horrible musical number from near the end of The Big Store.
 GendoTheGreat
08-22-2002, 6:19 AM
I'll take your word for it. I haven't seen the movie in years and my memory isn't real good.
 MeddlingMonk
08-23-2002, 12:19 AM
Count your blessings.
Page: 1 of 1