Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The First GB.com Xwing Alliance Championship!

Page: 1 of 2
 Sherack Nhar
09-07-2001, 3:49 PM
Alright people! With the recent XWA threads from Young David and Crackercho, I thought about something that would liven up the board a bit (since there aren't real GB news for the moment and the Senate is still in its infancy stage). So, welcome to the

Official GB.com Xwing Alliance Championship!

Here's how it will work:

Signups: I will stop accepting joining requests in exactly one week. After that, nobody can join. Hey, we gotta start someday, huh?

Organisation: I will arrange the matches in the same fashion that was used in the good ol' OWK.net Championship:

http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/brackets1.jpg)

This is a standard ladder: The winner of Match 1 will take on the winner of Match 2 during the Final Match. The winner of Final Match will be the champion. Of course, the tournament's brackets will hold a lot more pilots, this is just a simple example. When you lose a match, you go to the Consolation bracket:

http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/brackets2.jpg)

Allow me to explain (if you didn't get it already). The loser of Match 1 is taking on the loser of Match2. The one who emerge victorious of that bout will take on the loser of the Final Match for the Consolation Champion title.

For a little history, in the OWK.net championship, I went as far as running for the Champion title, against my most vicious foe: Vagabond! I was winning by one point but near the end of the game, he managed to slip ahead and made a run for it, escaping me at full speed to win by time limit (the bastard)!! So I went down to the Consolation bracket and won the title by forfeit. Maybe my sig has a little more meaning now, mmh? :D

The matches: The matches will be a one-on-one Deathmatch, with a time limit of 10 minutes. The only ship permitted will be the Z95 (this might be a turn off to some people, but it makes the bouts more exciting, and add an element of strategy). It will take place in an asteroid field for yet another strategical purpose.

Other rules: Forfeiting a match or not showing up will result in an automatic win by the other contender.
For the reasons described above, fleeing away from the battle is ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED!! Stay there and fight like a man!

Ok, I think that's all for now. If you want to practice, I suggest going against at least Aces in single player with the settings described above. If you wish to practice in multiplayer, PM me so we can set up a small warmup before the real thing.

With that said, the signups are open! Show us your flying skills!

EDIT: Alright, the brackets don't show up as expected, so wait a minute I'll post images instead.

EDIT2: It's fixed! These are really crappy images that I did with Pain Shop Pro in 30 seconds. The tournament's brackets will be better, don't worry!
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 4:00 PM
I'd like to enter the tournament but my internet connection is really slow (because i live in Bulgaria, Europe).:mad: Have fun with the tournament.
 Wraith 5
09-07-2001, 4:15 PM
I am very rusty...

But since i said i could take out a TIE defender in an X-Wing, i will join. (if you need me...)

My question, how do you know if someone fled battle, it could be one person word against another... (not that i think anyone would lie around here...) Will there be a judge or will you make a map that has observers???
 Sherack Nhar
09-07-2001, 4:33 PM
Ah, I knew I'd forget that!

The participants will all record their matches using the in-game recorder (update 2.02 required). And of course we need you, Wraith 5! We need every good pilot here! Come on, show us that you can tackle on the cream of the crop here!

Participants so far:
1. Sherack Nhar
2. Wraith 5
 oninosensi
09-07-2001, 6:53 PM
Guess I should get a copy...
 Clefo
09-07-2001, 7:10 PM
I might lag a little bit, but I'm in
 Sherack Nhar
09-07-2001, 8:35 PM
Originally posted by Oninosensi
Guess I should get a copy... Yes! This is one of the most recent high-quality game from LEC... But if you don't have a joystick, forget it! It would be cool if you could grab a copy before the signup period is over!

The OWK.net championship was my first XWA multiplayer experience, you know... and I managed to get to the very best in the ladder, Vagabond... or "the Man with 300$ worth of joystick gear"! :)

EDIT: Updated concurrent list:
1. Sherack Nhar
2. Wraith 5
3. Clefo

Come on! We need more!
 Tie Guy
09-07-2001, 10:37 PM
Can't pass this up, i'm definately in. Just one question, will we be playing on the zone, or through direct connection, i've never played Online MP for XWA before.

Dang, better get practicing. Gotta reinstall XWA. :D

EDIT: Ok, i forgot how crappy the z-95s are. They can't manuver at all, and they are slow as heck, and they don't even have laser auto-convergence. I played several mathes against an "ace" but i couldn't get behind, or even to the side of him coz i was too slow. It ended up just being who could survive the head on charges. That stinks, thats not strategy. Couldn't we PLEASE use something a little more manuverable. Perhaps Tie Ints, or something. Or, TIE Defenders or A-wings with only lasers would be even more strategic, as it would avoid the head on stuff mostly. Please sherack, the Z-95 ain't working for me. I won't back down, but i think it needs to change.

EDIT: Ok, i've been playing alot, and the TIE Defenders would be the perfect craft for a tournament. They require the most strategy, as they are very manuverabel. Unlike in the Z-95, you can actually get behind an enemy, and if you are being chased, you can actually evade him and turn the tables on him. I know the Defender is powerfull, but they also have powerfull shields, so that makes up for it. It still takes several blasts with all your lasers to take one down. And, it would not be unfair if both people had a Defender. It would be if one had a defender, and the other a Z-95. So please, can you change it, playing the Z-95 d boring and no fun, as it has no strategy.

But, if you still want to use the Z-95, perhaps we could play another tournament with the same people with the Defenders afterwards. Then we will see how much better it is.
 Sherack Nhar
09-08-2001, 11:25 AM
That's the spirit, Tie Guy!

In multiplayer, head-ons are much more fun than simple dogfights. With a Z95, you have to learn WHEN to pull out so you don't get hit by the opponent's lasers. You have to have a perfect timing, it's very strategic. And when you finally pull out (and you did it successfully, if not you are very damaged thanks to the Z95s) you have to maneuver your craft in a way your opponent won't be able to predict (remember, they're humans, much funner than Aces). When you dodge, you can also use the asteroids around you, which is why I say it adds another strategic element. You'll see, it'll all work out in the end.

I don't really want to talk about it yet because it's still far away, but the second tournament I was thinking about was to have a Rebel-Imperial fleet engagement. If we have enough pilots, only the capital ships will be controlled by a computer! That would be cool, and the imp players could take a Defender and go dogfight as much as you like.

EDIT: I forgot the Participant listing...
1. Sherack Nhar
2. Wraith 5
3. Clefo
4. Tie Guy
 Tie Guy
09-08-2001, 12:19 PM
That would be really fun. We don't have to make it a tournament, just a friendly match. Or, we could have squadron fights. Were, each player would have half a squadron of aces including themselves. I could have Zeta Squadron, which is TIE Defenders, and someone else could have some rebel craft of their choice. That would be fun too.

And i see your point, sort of. But i still think that dogfighting is much more strategic than head on stuff. Oh well, i guess it could be different when you play humans.
 Clefo
09-08-2001, 12:43 PM
300 Bucks worth of Joystick Equipment?!?! Geez thats a bit too much.

A few questions:

1. Where do we get Game Reporter?
2. We have to be patched up right?

This XWA Tourney is a cool idea. Maybe we could have JK tourniments or Rebellion Tourniments or something :)
 Lord JayVizIon
09-08-2001, 12:57 PM
i really hate the z-95 headhunters. however, one thing, when is this tournament happening? if it works with my schedule (i'm getting san jose sharks hockey tickets next week rom!), i'll join for sure.

a jk tourney would be great clefo, although i don't have rebellion and i don't plan on getting it from what i've seen of that game.
 Sherack Nhar
09-08-2001, 1:49 PM
Clefo, I don't really understand your first question... if Game Reporter is a program, then you don't have to have it.

I'm putting Lord JayVizIon on the list:

1. Sherack Nhar
2. Wraith 5
3. Clefo
4. Tie Guy
5. Lord JayvizIon

When we'll start the tournament, Me and Wraith 5 will agree on a date for the first bout, while Clefo and Tie Guy do the same. The two participants will communicate through PMs or ICQ (or whatever) and agree on a schedule, so there's no fixed date, Lord JayVizIon.
 FlyBOy
09-08-2001, 2:05 PM
DARN IT! DARN IT! DARN IT! Why couldn't you have started this tournament a year ago?! Oh, wait, we weren't around a year ago :p Unfortunatly i won't be able to join in on the tournament because i just got a new computer with Windows 2000, and XWA isn't campatible with Windows 2000 :(
But i hope everbody who plays has lots of fun, and best of luck to all :)
 Tie Guy
09-08-2001, 6:38 PM
Really, XWA isn't compatible with windows 2000?!? Why not??? Oh well, i know that X-wing and Tie Fighter don't work on 98, something about the virtual memory or something. Oh well, why do i need those when i've got XWA?
 xwing guy
09-08-2001, 9:42 PM
I would love to join, I was one of the best pilots in anything in MP. But unfortunatly my MP internet connection doesn't work for some reason, and XWA won't work on my computer for some reason. Maybe my NIVDIA GeForce2 video card is too powerful for it.:) But lucky for yall, yall don't have to worry about facing me in a MP match on XWA .:)
 JEDI_MASTA
09-09-2001, 8:14 AM
Originally posted by FlyBOy
DARN IT! DARN IT! DARN IT! Why couldn't you have started this tournament a year ago?! Oh, wait, we weren't around a year ago :p Unfortunatly i won't be able to join in on the tournament because i just got a new computer with Windows 2000, and XWA isn't campatible with Windows 2000 :(
But i hope everbody who plays has lots of fun, and best of luck to all :)

HEY MAN MAYBE I CHOULD BET A COPY BTW DOES IT WORK WITH WINDOWS ME
 xwing guy
09-09-2001, 9:23 AM
I don't know. What does the ME mean?
 Sherack Nhar
09-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Millenium Edition. It uses the Win9x kernel, and I have it. Xwing95, TIE Fighter95, XvT, and Xwing Alliance all work on it.

FlyBoy, maybe you should check out one of those Win2000 guides on the net. There are tons of them, very easy to find. Maybe you'll find a way to make XWA run with your OS. Compatibility mode doesn't work?

xwing guy, Geforces are compatible with XWA, since it's all DirectX. Maybe you should ask Yoda on LEC's website! He's proven reliable in the past :)

Come on guys, your time is limited! Sign up NOW!
 Wilhuf
09-10-2001, 3:55 PM
Hey Sherack, sign me up for your XWA tournament!
Who do I play against, by when should we have played and where? Also, do you have a skirmish template available?
 Sherack Nhar
09-10-2001, 4:27 PM
Great! Boys and girls, here's one of the veteran XWA players from the old OWK.net tournament! Wilhuf proved to be one hell of a challenge back then ;)

I'll finish the signup period friday, and I'll begin the assignments Saturday here on this thread.

By the way, here's the skirmish file that we'll use if you want to practice in the exact same conditions as the tournament's.
http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/ChampionshipSkirmish.zip)
Just unzip the content into your \XwingAlliance\Skirmish\ directory.

Updated list of players:
1. Sherack Nhar
2. Wraith 5
3. Clefo
4. Tie Guy
5. Lord JayVizIon
6. Wilhuf
 Sherack Nhar
09-14-2001, 2:52 PM
Well, the signup period is over guys. I know that some of you just forgot about the championship, it's normal because of the recent tragic events, but there will be no exceptions.

FINAL list of players:
1. Sherack Nhar
2. Wraith 5
3. Clefo
4. Tie Guy
5. Lord JayVizIon
6. Wilhuf

Great. Now, here are the final brackets for the Championship:
http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/OfficialBrackets.jpg)
So, here's your briefing, pilots: Communicate with your assigned opponent through whatever mean of communication you like: ICQ, PMs, whatever. The two of you must agree on a schedule (within the weekend please, I want this to get moving) and do the match (don't forget to record!). When it's finished, report the winner here.

Remember, any forfeit means an automatic loss.

Wraith 5, I'll get to you through PMs.
 Tie Guy
09-14-2001, 5:45 PM
Sounds great. Clefo, if your reading this, i can't do it tonight, we can do it tommorow after noon or possibly sunday. I'll send you a PM, or send me one, whichever is first.
 Lord JayVizIon
09-14-2001, 5:55 PM
i won't be able to participate in this tournament til sunday afternoon at the earliest b/c of everything that's going on plus i will be attending services for church this weekend.......
 Clefo
09-15-2001, 2:22 PM
In the closest XWA match ever Tie Guy defeats the all mighty Clefo and his Z-95 Old Bessie 23-1 killwise.

Don't laugh please....
 Darth_Rommel
09-15-2001, 2:57 PM
WoW! TIE really dominated! :D
 Tie Guy
09-15-2001, 3:59 PM
Well, we had a lot of Lag issues, hopefully it won't be like that next time.
 Clefo
09-15-2001, 4:16 PM
Yeah there was lag, I was in a Z-95, and this Z-95 was named Old Bessie...
 xwing guy
09-15-2001, 5:21 PM
What were you flying Tie guy?
 Darth_Rommel
09-15-2001, 5:32 PM
A Z-95 :rolleyes:
 Sherack Nhar
09-15-2001, 8:32 PM
Okay, the results are in:
Champion Brackets:

Fear not Clefo, you're still in for the Consolation place:
http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/OfficialConsBrackets.jpg)
Wraith 5 and I have scheduled our match for Monday, 4:15 PM, EST timezone. Stay tuned for the results!

Lord JayVizIon, no problems, it's whenever you can, as long as Wilhuf is okay with it.
 Wraith 5
09-16-2001, 5:32 PM
I have a problem!!!!!

I am trying to get the patch from lucas arts and their ftp site is down!!!

Does anyone have it, and can put onto the web for me!!!
 Tie Guy
09-16-2001, 6:17 PM
Same thing happened with me. Go to XWA.net and get it. It didn't work the first time there either, but when i tried it again it did.
 Wraith 5
09-16-2001, 8:39 PM
Why didn't i think of that, i am from XWA.net!!!

I have to stop going out of town, i lose my mind by the time i get back.
 Sherack Nhar
09-17-2001, 7:39 PM
The results are in!

Me and Wraith 5 engaged into an exciting one on one, but his head-on skills were still not on par with my gifted talent :)

Sherack: 9
Wraith 5: 4

Here are the brackets:
It was great flying. Clefo and Wraith 5, you can start scheduling your match right now. The loser will be out of the tournament! Best of luck to both of you.

Tie Guy, I'll contact you with PMs about our match.

Wilhuf and Lord Jay, hurry up! :D
 Tie Guy
09-17-2001, 8:49 PM
You guys sure didn't kill each other much, only 13 kills total, and you went head on. Oh well, anytime thursday is good for me really, cept in the morning, coz i'll be asleep :D
 Wraith 5
09-17-2001, 10:27 PM
well i think that just shows the skills be both have,

Though mine were not as good, i could still get in there get some kills and stay alive.

It was a great match
 Wilhuf
09-18-2001, 9:29 PM
Sorry about the delays. I completely lost track of the tournament in light of all that has happened last week.

Jay VizIon when can you play your match with me? How about tomorrow evening (Wednesday, Sep. 19th at 9:00 PM EST)? Drop me an ICQ. Nickname = 'Wilhuf'
 Tie Guy
09-20-2001, 4:35 PM
Well, me and sherack finished out match, and he won. 11-5 i think it was. A decent match honestly my best, but i don't think i would have beaten him anyways. I did have a quick lead in the beginning, but then he stopped dying and i started to :D Oh well, i think that put sherack in the finals versus Wilhuf or Jay. And if i got this correct, i will play the winner of the match between Clefo/Wraith and Jay/Wilhuf. Ok, good playing sherack.
 Sherack Nhar
09-20-2001, 4:59 PM
Well guys, I'm beginning to think that my number of midichlorians is higher than I expected :D

As you can see, the tournament won't advance until the Wilhuf/Lord Jay bout takes place, except for the Clefo/Wraith 5 match.

Oh, and a tip for the next one who'll play against Tie Guy: He's pretty tough, so watch your butt! Wilhuf, he ranks around your level of skills, so it'd be nice to see you two fight against each other :)
 Tie Guy
09-20-2001, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
Oh, and a tip for the next one who'll play against Tie Guy: He's pretty tough, so watch your butt! Wilhuf, he ranks around your level of skills, so it'd be nice to see you two fight against each other :)

Hey! No fair! Now you owe me that tip about know your opponents craft. :D
 Wraith 5
09-21-2001, 8:27 AM
I'll give you one for Z-95's, and one on one duels...

If you end up in a lot of head on fightes put all shield energy foward, this will keep you alive a little longer. And since most one on one duels start with a head to head, and the Z-95 really can't get out of one with much left in the way for shields, you shouldn't have to switch it ever, just don't let anyone behind you!!!
 Tie Guy
09-21-2001, 8:39 AM
I already do that Wraith, except that i am constantly adjusting everything that matters while i fly. When your shields are 200 forward, the backside doesn't charge, so while you are not fighting, it is best to switch to even. Then, as you come in range, you can switch to double front. That way, if you manage you kill your opponent 3 times in a row or so, you can have 200 shields both ways. Another thing is the energy settings. If your att 200 front durring a fight, you don't need shield power at full, so can switch to get a little more speed. But, if you get hit, you have to put your shields back to full to prepare for the next encounter. The last thing is the throttle. If your going head on, you should keep it at full speed. That way, if you can manage to get by him, and quick switch to 1/3 power and a turn ca nget you on his tail, then a switch back to full can keep you there. If he dodges, its back to 1/3. this ones not quite as important in the z-95, but it really is with other, faster and more agile craft.

Thats alot to handle at the same time, but if you can do it all and still fly and shoot, it really helps alot.

Ok sherack, now i've given a tip too, so give usthat tip on knowing the opponents craft? I think it has something to do with the weak point on the Z-95. You knock out my shields in just a couple of hits a few times, you had to be doing something. :D
 Wraith 5
09-21-2001, 2:04 PM
Sorry TIE i forgot to say to put lasers on full and use that to rechager your sheilds, because that will start putting energy to the back. I don't normaly fly with shields and anything but normal.
 Sherack Nhar
09-21-2001, 2:20 PM
Well, it's more like" feel your opponent's craft". I don't follow a step-by-step manual for XWA. When I play, I fire my lasers, and I "know" when the shields are knocked out, without even looking at my HUD. I "know" when to pull out before getting shot. Of course, it's not 100% accurate, that's why I die sometimes.

I'm telling ya, it's the Force :D
 Tie Guy
09-21-2001, 5:59 PM
Well, it's more like" feel your opponent's craft". I don't follow a step-by-step manual for XWA. When I play, I fire my lasers, and I "know" when the shields are knocked out, without even looking at my HUD. I "know" when to pull out before getting shot. Of course, it's not 100% accurate, that's why I die sometimes.

I'm telling ya, it's the Force :D

Or you just know how many shots a Z-95 can take :D But thats not a tip. ;)

BTW Wraith, did you mean to say that you play with your shields on the normal setting? Coz if you do then you will find that sometimes when you needed 200 shields, you only had 100, and speed isn't all that important in head on battles. Oh well, i've never seen you fly so i guess i really can't say.....
 Sherack Nhar
09-21-2001, 6:52 PM
Actually, I don't really know how many shots it takes to know down 200% shields of a Z95. I don't count my shots.

Here's a more concrete tip: in head-ons, start firing when the distance separating you and your opponent is 1.70. However, I found out that with Tie Guy, firing at 1.80 will intimidate him :)

That was instrumental to my victory :D
 darthfergie
09-21-2001, 7:00 PM
Cheap shots eh:D

I know basically what you guys are talking about because of X vs Tie. I wish I had gotten XWA but oh well...
 Tie Guy
09-21-2001, 7:22 PM
Actually, I don't really know how many shots it takes to know down 200% shields of a Z95. I don't count my shots.

Here's a more concrete tip: in head-ons, start firing when the distance separating you and your opponent is 1.70. However, I found out that with Tie Guy, firing at 1.80 will intimidate him :)

That was instrumental to my victory :D

I normally start firing around 1.9, just in case i can get a few hits early, and then i'm in position when it comes to 1.8 and 1.7. The thing doesn't go green until around 1.5, but what does that thing know anyways.

Anyways sherack, i think i don't get intimidated enough, i keep my runs unitl after, or just as the other person pulls out. I think that that might have been my undoing in a couple of runs. Oh well...i think my biggest flaw was only having played against another actuall person once prior to out match. Humans sure act a ton different than superaces.
 Wraith 5
09-21-2001, 9:57 PM
ok tie this is what i do...

Sheild recharge: normal/middle

laser recharge: high/top

sheild position: Full front, never change

rechage sheilds with laser energy.

Never change speed, i have found that i ship will not dive or climb must faster with the speed at 33% or with it at full, i will roll to get into a position that i can climb or dive at enemy. And i never let them on my tail.
Page: 1 of 2