Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Favourite Fighter in X-wing Alliance?

Page: 1 of 1
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 2:14 PM
I was wondering which is your favourite craft?Mine is the TIE Defender because it is really fast and has great weapons and shields (it can't be better) and also it looks very cool. :D
 Tie Guy
09-07-2001, 2:37 PM
I chose the defender, fast, agile, and powerfull. How can you beat that?
 Kvan
09-07-2001, 2:44 PM
Well I've only played XVT and the XA demo, so I guess from that I like the Tie Fighter :)
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 2:46 PM
Have you tried adding a beam system to the Defender and switching all the energy to the engines?His speed goes to 254!!!And i think his manuverbility increases.I just love flying with that speed (no other fighter can reach it in case you didn't know ).
 Gamma732
09-07-2001, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
I chose the defender, fast, agile, and powerfull. How can you beat that?

You can't!! The Defender is the best! :D
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 2:53 PM
For those of you who like destroying capital ships I highly recomend the Skipray Blastboat.It has extreme firepower.
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 2:58 PM
Oh, by the way if the Empire had Skipray Blastboats on Galactic Batlegrounds™ it would be my favourite civ.:atat: :atat: :atat:
 Wraith 5
09-07-2001, 3:12 PM
Well i would vote but my fav is not there!!!

You forgot the Z-95 headhunter!!!

But the Z-95 aside i would have to pick X-Wing.
 Wraith 5
09-07-2001, 3:22 PM
And just so you know tie...

I can beat a TIE defender in an X-Wing 1 on 1!!!
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 4:12 PM
I'm sorry Wraith 5 ,but i didn't think someone would pick the Z-95
because non of my friends like it.
 Sherack Nhar
09-07-2001, 4:14 PM
Well, it always depend on the skill level of the pilot... Super Aces (or Jedi as I like to call them) are simply unbeatable...

And any seasoned Xwing pilot can take out a newbie in a TIE Defender.

My vote would be for the Z95 (hey, I'm an ol' timer!). :D
 Crackercho
09-07-2001, 5:23 PM
Well in my country the time is 0:21 minutes so i'm going to bed.
 oninosensi
09-07-2001, 7:56 PM
Never played, so I can't say.
 Tie Guy
09-07-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
And just so you know tie...

I can beat a TIE defender in an X-Wing 1 on 1!!!

You couldn't beat me in a Tie Defender, that craft is my specialty. I always use it in battles against the comp.

BTW, I have beaten a Star Destroyer before with only a Tie Defender, so beat that! :D
 Admiral Odin
09-08-2001, 12:54 AM
X-wing all the way.
 Rogue15
09-08-2001, 2:39 PM
A-WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 FlyBOy
09-08-2001, 2:49 PM
X-Wing. A Defender is just to easy to win with. X-Wings just offer more of a challange to fly.
 xwing guy
09-09-2001, 5:41 PM
X-wing is my fav. BTW tie guy I've beat an Imp stardestroyer in a Tie fighter and only died like 3 times. All you have to do is destroy a few of the turret control boxes around the rear of the SD then match speed with it and then destroy the sheild gen and you've basically won. Just pound away on the hull after that. And you have to stay right behind the bridge area or else you'll get caught in the engine wash.
 Rogue15
09-09-2001, 6:40 PM
Teh 4\/\/|/\/9 0\/\//\/5 tho!!!!!!!!!!
 Wraith 5
09-09-2001, 9:51 PM
Well I beat both of you...

I have betten a star destoryer a Z-95 with out dieing once!!!

Also i have betten 6 full squads (12 fighters, 2 fight groups of 6 fighters, 1 squad at a time.) in an x-wing.

I know i was working on betting an ISD with out dieing, with every fly-able fighter, but i don't remeber how far i got befor i had to work harder in school. I think i beat it with a TIE-Fighter, but i can't remeber...
 Tie Guy
09-09-2001, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
Well I beat both of you...

I have betten a star destoryer a Z-95 with out dieing once!!!

Also i have betten 6 full squads (12 fighters, 2 fight groups of 6 fighters, 1 squad at a time.) in an x-wing.

I know i was working on betting an ISD with out dieing, with every fly-able fighter, but i don't remeber how far i got befor i had to work harder in school. I think i beat it with a TIE-Fighter, but i can't remeber...

Ok, now try it without cheating :D

Anyways, taking out a star destroyer witha z-95 or TIE without dying is next to impossible. 1 or 2 hits and your gone. unless you put it on "no duty" so it just sat there ;)
 Wraith 5
09-10-2001, 9:15 AM
Nope the thing was shotting at me the whole time!!!

Actully ISD, ISDII, VIC, and VICII are the easiest capital ships to take out!!!

GIve me a few days and i will have a fight record of how i did it and in a Z-95.

And TIE...

I never cheat

P.S. Has anyone ever heard of the force run??? (Sherack you most have, you are an XWA freak) It was named after the person who first found it Forceflow (it may have another name, but that is what we use to call it.)
 Admiral Odin
09-10-2001, 6:39 PM
Forceflow: as in the Admin of XWAU?

Taking out a SD is very easy in XWA. With a Tie, but you need to know how to do it properly.

If you want I can PM a thread that shows how to take out an SD. with TRD.
 Rogue15
09-13-2001, 9:13 AM
don't u just target the bridge, and launch advanced rockets when u get close enough? what i like to do is have 5 other tie bombers, and fly in formation w/them, and launch rockets all at the same time. the turbolasers on sd can't destroy all rockets at once. well...unless it's above veteran..
 Wraith 5
09-13-2001, 9:47 AM
That may work but you would have to be in a ship that could carry a load of those, and TIE fighters don't nomaly carry rokets.

I know some one at XWAU (K_K) use to have a pic one how the force-run or TRD is done.

As soon as i can find it i will post it!!!

And Admiral Odin... yes i am talking about the Forceflow, admin of XWAU. But this was put up back in the days when XWAU was hosted at SWSSG
 Rogue15
09-13-2001, 9:57 AM
oh, then u just target the turbolasers on the sd, and take them out, only need to do that on the side you'll be attacking. that way, the sd will have a 'blind spot'. and u can match speed w/the sd, and hold down the trigger for a long time until the sd blows. :D i learned the blind spot thing in the tiecorps
 Tie Guy
09-13-2001, 2:50 PM
Ok, i believe you guys now, coz i did it, and didn't even get hit! All you have to do is take out two turbolaser batteries near the back, then it can't touch you.
 Wraith 5
09-13-2001, 3:29 PM
Hey guys there is another way to do it with out having to take out any of the turrets!!!

I will post it as soon as i find some pics...

Or i will do it myself and post the file off it!!!
 Wraith 5
09-13-2001, 3:36 PM
This was taken from XWAU fourms... Posted be K_K...

Okay now here is a fun thing. Tactic created by Force-Flow. And refined by Gremlin
How to destroy a Large Capital ship with one TIE/Fighter
or
Bugging a ship like a gnat.
a.k.a: The Force-Run

This tactic utilizes the Trench-Run-Defense (TRD) so effectivly used in the Battles of Yavin and Endor. When using this tactic you never need to dodge or jink. The
best thing to do so you will not get hit is to never give a turret a Zero-defection shot. Never attack a capital ship from the top or side, it is suicide . the
Capital ships in XWA are made to have Hellish broad sides. Anything closer that .5km is crusing for a bruising.

Basic Run-thru for the Force-Run:

1. At about 5 km, the Ship will start attacking you with inaccurate Flak from its Turbo-lasers. As long as you do not give the ship a zero deflection shot, and keep
your speeds above 85 MGLTs you will not have a problem.
2. Aim your craft about 1/2 or 1 Ship length in front of the Ship. And also Aim either Above or below so that you will start with an AoA of about 30-50 degrees.
3. As you come to the front of the craft, turn to face it, and line up to a stucture near the rear of the ship (Shield Generators, Bridge, Blister, or weapon Hardpoint.
4. The longer you starfing run. The better your attack was. A good run in a TIE/fighter should be able to take out 33% of one of the Shield generators. But don't get
too greedy.
5. As you close to about .3km of the structure, move the joystick to the left/right and down. Continue this motion until you craft rotate 90 degrees. Then Continue
the Pitch up and try to line up with the nose of the craft. this will be your referance point for the Extend.
6. Straighten up, and fly along the same flight path as you begun the attack. make sure you rotate you craft to your aligmnet is the same as the craft.
7. once you have extended about 1.1 km reapeat the same motion as you left the attack. remember the longer the strafe, the better your attack.
8. Repeat as neccsary, until the ship goes boom, then get the heck out of the blast.

Note: Be aware when the craft turns. It will ususally do 2 45 degree turns to the side when ever it reaches it "way-Point". If you see this happening try to shorten
your attacks so that you stay in the "safe-area directly above he craft.

Have fun...my record is 1 VSDII in 8 minutes in a TIE/F

There use to be pics with this but they most have gotten lost, i have put word into K_K to see if he still has them!!!
 Link Antilles
09-13-2001, 3:39 PM
I like X-wings but, I use TieDs more. :D
 Wraith 5
09-18-2001, 9:29 PM
ok K_K came back and he still has the pics!!!

So thanks to K_K we have pics on how to do the force-run

http://www.uwrf.edu/~tw80/flightscreen0.jpg)

http://www.uwrf.edu/~tw80/flightscreen1.jpg)
 Sherack Nhar
09-18-2001, 10:41 PM
Interesting. No Wraith 5, I didn't know about that technique. I never visited the XWA.net forums, unfortunately.

Yes I like XWA, but I never play multiplayer outside of tournaments, and I make only one run through the ToDs. I mostly play in skirmish against veteran +. I'm naturally gifted at XWA, it's not really practicing for me :D

Anyway, the Force Run looks like it just exploits a nice loophole in the destroyer's AI. In the real Star Wars it wouldn't happen, so I'll never rely on it, I'd consider it cheating.

But thanks for showing us. I'll certainly prohibit that technique once I prepare GB.com's second Championship, since it'll be fleet engagements :)
 Wraith 5
09-19-2001, 9:36 AM
Sherack I agree i know it is only there because of a problem with the AI...

But i don't think you should ban it!!!

Think of it this way....

ISD, VDS, and SSD were all very bad againest star fighters, they have what the books call TRD or trench run disease.

This was something that only a starfighter could do. It would involve getting really close to the SD and shotting at it where its torbolasers couldn't reach you.

This little bug is like that, you fight in this one flight path and you don't get shot. It may be a bug but it is a bug that matchs something in the movies/books, so please let people try it.

P.S. You really don't have to worry about it being to powerful, because it really only works when there are no enemy starfighters around, that flight plan really turns you into a sitting duck for anyother ship around...
 Rogue15
09-19-2001, 10:59 AM
and, this works on top ace too?
 Wraith 5
09-19-2001, 11:03 AM
It works on every setting.

Now all i know is that it works on IDS, IDSII, VSD, and VSDII.

I don't know if it works on SSD or anyother cap ship.
 Tie Guy
09-19-2001, 4:21 PM
Yeah, no reason to ban it sherack, with fighters for support, it is virtually useless.

BTW, i think that our next XWA thing should be a "Battle Royal" of sorts. Or you could have 2 fleets and we could have teams, each player controling half a squadron of whatever. If we had six players, each team could have 2 squadrons (half of one being totally AI controlled), 2 capitol ships, and a couple of support ships. It wouldn't be much of a tournament, but it sure would be really fun.
 Sherack Nhar
09-20-2001, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Or you could have 2 fleets and we could have teams, each player controling half a squadron of whatever. It's kinda what I wanted to do, but each player would get to command its own 6-ship squadron (I always consider a squadron to be 6 ships, not twelve). Planning a strategy before the battle will be the most important aspect of the game. But I don't want to unveil more details right now :)
 Tie Guy
09-20-2001, 5:08 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
It's kinda what I wanted to do, but each player would get to command its own 6-ship squadron (I always consider a squadron to be 6 ships, not twelve). Planning a strategy before the battle will be the most important aspect of the game. But I don't want to unveil more details right now :)

But is it gonna be a team thing, or 1 player and his AI verse another player and his AI?
 Wraith 5
09-20-2001, 5:13 PM
and can we use the force-run???????
Page: 1 of 1