Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GF2 Storyline?

Page: 1 of 2
 Psychosparrow
07-14-2002, 9:09 PM
Seeing as mostly everyone here wants a sequel to Grim Fandango, what would the storyline be to a sequel of the game? Personally I wouldn't like a sequel to the game, but I'd like to see what you lot think.
 Sanspoof
07-15-2002, 12:55 AM
I frankly haven't got a clue. I just think that the Ninth Underworld is being taken over by evil demonic creatures from Hell or something, when usually the Ninth Underworld is a cheerful, happy and pleasant place :angel: . The monsters have found a way to completely kill off a dead person FOR GOOD! By using a special power to blow them to smitereens! :explode:
 Darth Eggplant
07-15-2002, 6:51 PM
:jawa
good name Pyschosparrow!
and Happy 4th GFN to you!
also hi to sanspoof!
today would be a good day
to post
and post
and post.
Meet new people
exchange ideas,
truely experience
the forum
in all it's glory.
* stops to smile, and nod
and wink at Isis; putting
on his party hat, and pulling
open his GFN party cracker.
laughing with glee as eggplant
flavoured pocky shoots out!*
yes today
be the forum.
and have a good time.
 GendoTheGreat
07-16-2002, 7:04 AM
I think maybe something like Manny and Meche getting to the gates of paradise (or whatever is beyond that last tunnel) and discovering that their tickets have been invalidated by someone, then having to go back and find out why. Naturally, it would have to be someone they pissed off, or a reletive of someone they had "killed".
 mxbx
07-16-2002, 7:24 AM
I think it would be AWESOME if Manny and crew end up in a fanciful land full of blue-berry people. These blue-berry people will admit to not being dead, but will agree to hang out with Manny's rag-tag gang. Their adventures will be splendorous, indeed. They'll have to figure out who keeps combining their magical juices with bananas and strawberries in order to make... (prepare to cringe) ..... SMOOTHIES!!! Muharhar. Evil, my friends, evil in it's purest form. And get this, they'll solve that crazy riddle and be faced with a new and more disasterous connundrum: Who turned off the oven? I was cooking up a batch of cupcakes and some mother-comsummater turned of the oven!!! Of course, Manny will be pissed as hell. That will be his most oft quoted line in the game, "I'm totally pissed as hell!" And everyone will laugh, but they'll know he's serious. They'll say: "Manny, whoa, dude, chill!" He'll stop being pissed because he'll think that's sooo funny and say: "You used a comma after every word in that phrase you just uttered!! Seriously!" Then everyone will be like "whoa!" and laugh. Someone might mention that the events may be deemed "Classic." Then they'll pick up a dingus that they find on the ground, because they know it'll come in handy later.

Dudes, I totally had to edit my post for the following reason: I misspelled splendorous. And then I felt the shame that comes with misspelling splendorous. So I changed it up above. Re-read my post with new-found clarity.
 Tall Guy
07-16-2002, 7:42 AM
damm you! that was my idea!! :(
 Darth Eggplant
07-16-2002, 1:04 PM
see mxbx reading my rantings
at the Blue Casket is a good
influence.
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 5:19 AM
Who cares? As long as they make the sequel with the original voices and a totally awesome storyline, while at the same time creating a new exciting plotline...

I'll be sound as a pound, baby...

*Giggles and can't wait for the 3rd Austin Powers to come out.*
 GendoTheGreat
07-17-2002, 8:39 AM
I just hope they don't recycle all their old jokes, like they did in the 2nd one.
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 11:42 AM
I know...Wasn't that a drag? The first one was awesome, but the second one kinda resembled "Terrance and Phillip" as in it was nothing but trash-talk and toilet humor...
 Gexx
07-17-2002, 1:10 PM
I think the only real way that they could make another story is if the train derailed or if they got to the end of the Number Nine rail and found that their eternal rest has been corupted again and they have to solve it the eternal resting place.
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 2:23 PM
I think you're right. They closed off GF's original storyline pretty well. There are very few ways for them to continue it... However, if they really wanted to, they could make a sequel taking place again in El Marrow and whatnot, using a different person and background... I know it's awful to think of replacing Manny and the others, but it's an idea, isn't it?
 GendoTheGreat
07-17-2002, 2:40 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but it seems to me that a sequel is becoming less and less a good idea. I mean, it would be so easy to ruin it.
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 2:44 PM
Actually, I'm beginning to agree with you. I just wish they'd make more. It's really such an awesome game.
 mxbx
07-17-2002, 4:14 PM
Gendo: You mean if they don't follow my advice exactly and to the letter, right?

I have a feeling someone's going to spread lies about me in the next post.
 GendoTheGreat
07-17-2002, 4:19 PM
Yes, also if they spell "advice" wrong. :D
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 4:22 PM
They could have more Glottis, you know, even if they do use a new character. Glottis stayed in the Land of the Dead, remember?
 GendoTheGreat
07-17-2002, 4:35 PM
Yeah, but it just wouldn't be the same...
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 4:38 PM
I know. I just really wish there was more to it. Now, it seems too short to really be there.
 MeddlingMonk
07-19-2002, 12:38 PM
It would always be possible to reuse the world without touching the original story and characters.
 Isis Kaldara
07-19-2002, 12:43 PM
*Nod*

Too true, too true...

Yes, I do think a sequel is possible using the world itself. The Land of the Dead...

Noone could replace Manny though. Or Glottis.
 GendoTheGreat
07-19-2002, 12:50 PM
True. The music and environments were a large part of what made the game so good. I'm sure we could adjust to new characters.
 Isis Kaldara
07-19-2002, 1:01 PM
You're right, you know. And when you're right, you're right. I could live with it. At least they wouldn't have to change the voices! That's a plus!
 GendoTheGreat
07-19-2002, 1:26 PM
What do you mean? The voices would change with the new characters. Or are you talking about something else?
 Isis Kaldara
07-20-2002, 7:16 AM
Sorry. I should have been more specific. What I meant by changing the voices was for the original characters if they'd kept them. But since they are most likely not going to, new characters would have different voices instead of the original characters having different voices. I hate it when people make sequels to animated things and change the voices of the old characters... Totally ruins it.
 GendoTheGreat
07-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Oh man, that's the worst. Although I don't see any reason why they couldn't get the same actors back to do the voices, if they did bring back the origional characters. I mean, it's not as if those particular actors are in great demand. I wonder if they paid them the first time? As I understand it, famous actors who do voices for Disney movies don't usually get paid. If the people who did the voices for GF weren't getting paid, they may not be inclined to come back for a second go.
 Isis Kaldara
07-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Touchй.
 GendoTheGreat
07-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Huh? I didn't know we were arguing...
 Isis Kaldara
07-20-2002, 1:05 PM
*Uses a mock British accent.*

That wasn't an arguementative back-down, darling. I simply felt that you worded it better than I and that you made your point quite thoroughly. Don't give it a second thought.
 GendoTheGreat
07-20-2002, 2:09 PM
I guess in the end, the question is: What made the game, the characters or their environment?
 hncalavera
07-21-2002, 1:16 AM
I agree that it would be hard to come up with a good storyline involving Manny that takes place after the first one ends. Perhaps someone in the Land of the Dead needs help and casts a spell that pulls the legendary Manny out of paradise. But perhaps a prequel... although based on the story it's hard to imagine that there was anything really interesting going on in Manny's life before the first story begins. Perhaps a story involving Manny's real life, with skin and all?

Honestly though, I'd just be happy with more original graphic adventures. I hope LucasArts won't be too focused on sequels. Monkey Island is on it's last leg. If they do decide to do a sequel for MI, I think it would be cool if Guybrush gets himself into danger, then figures that there's no way he can die in a LucasArts game, so does something stupid and gets himself killed, and he spends the rest of the game as the Ghost Pirate Threepwood. Just a thought.
 GendoTheGreat
07-21-2002, 2:51 AM
Prequel... I never thought of that. Why didn't I think of that? You're a right about the MI series, too. I didn't enjoy the MI series overmuch, and although I have never played EMI before, I hear it's pretty weak. If they used your idea (good one, BTW) in the next installment, I might actually consider playing it.

EDIT: ignore this edit Gendo...i clicked 'Edit' instead of 'Quote'..sorry :D
 nioe
07-21-2002, 7:58 AM
I think a prequel would be cool where you'd get a chance to play as Salvador when he was working for the man. That way you could set about discovering the level of corruption plus I'd love to get a chance to see Manny when he was a hotshot.:rolleyes:
 Tall Guy
07-21-2002, 8:29 AM
Originally posted by GendoTheGreat
Prequel... I never thought of that. Why didn't I think of that? You're a right about the MI series, too. I didn't enjoy the MI series overmuch, and although I have never played EMI before, I hear it's pretty weak. If they used your idea (good one, BTW) in the next installment, I might actually consider playing it.

I've always said that a prequel would be a good move. I agree that a sequel would be hard to make so maybe a prequel could be the answer. I think it would work quite well, although im not sure on a storyline...mmm...
 GendoTheGreat
07-21-2002, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by nioe
I think a prequel would be cool where you'd get a chance to play as Salvador when he was working for the man. That way you could set about discovering the level of corruption plus I'd love to get a chance to see Manny when he was a hotshot.:rolleyes:

This is another good idea, exploring other characters. I don't know why I never thought of that one either. GF has other characters just as cool as Manny.
 Straylight
07-27-2002, 6:52 PM
As I see it, there's to way to continue the game.

1, Some story in the "paradise" or that the called it or
2, Take Manny bake to the world of the living for some reason...
 Ztev
07-30-2002, 10:17 PM
There's a stack of possibilities for stories in the land of the dead, and as much as I’d like to see Manny back, I don’t like the idea of him returning from the ninth underworld, their final resting place, paradise. If a sequel happened, I think I’d prefer to see it about another character, either someone we’ve already seen or a new person all together. The continuation of the Lost Souls Alliance maybe? Then they could have some flashbacks that featured Manny so that he’s involved a little bit.

The prequel idea is good too, I’d like to see Manny at his height, and the circumstances that got Salvador to start the LSA.

But what ever they did, they’d have to get Manny in there a little bit somehow.

“Clambake!”
 GendoTheGreat
07-31-2002, 5:45 AM
Flashbacks might be a bit cheesy. I don't see how they could incorporate Manny into the story without interrupting his eternal rest.
 Ztev
07-31-2002, 8:32 AM
Hmm, not really, not if they were flashbacks of newly written material. That's what I meant, not flashbacks of the first game, that would be lame, but new stuff to fit in with a new story.

But yeah, for a story to continue from the first one with Manny in it, they'd have to to rip him out of paradise, and I don't like that idea. I prefer that they have finally completed their journey, and there's no more for them to do. But I really only think that way cause I can't think of a decent way it could be written, so if someone comes up with one, w00t.

Course if LucasArts makes a Grim Fandango 2 I'll be buying it no matter what, so whatta they care?
 Psychosparrow
08-22-2002, 10:22 AM
I think that a sequel would be a bad idea because it would devalue the original, and it's very hard to come up with a storyline and a cast of characters that would match GF's standard.

The thing is people have said that they want Manny and/or Meche back in the 8th Underworld, but they clearly went to the land of eternal rest and can't come back. The only characters that were left in the 8th Underworld were the demons like Glottis and people like Eva who just didn't leave.

A whole new set of characters would have to be made to replace the ones that died or left the 8th underworld. And what new storyline could exactly come out of a sequel taking place in the 8th Underworld anyway? The only idea I could come up with was that Rubacava was corrupted and all, and would be stirring off trouble in the underworld (Max never died remember?)

I understand how you lot all want a sequel so badly, I did for a time but the more you think about it the less realistic the idea becomes...
 Sanspoof
08-22-2002, 2:12 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Well, actually, I don't know. But wouldn't a prequel be rather short? I mean, not much would happen with Sal and the game would be dull. A game of Manny would be just too short. Things in Rubacava? Hmmm... not so sure, but I kinda think it's a good idea. There could be plenty of action sequences.

But what about the REST of the Land of the Dead? Surely the Land of the Dead can't be as small as it is in the game! After all, there must be loads of places in the Land of the Dead if it takes a whole year to get from Rubacava to Pueorto Zapato.

But I really think that there could be a way to get Manny out of the Ninth Underworld! Maybe some evil conspiracy uses an evil spell to get him out, which I think was suggested somewhere on this thread.

So I don't know. How about a poll?
 GendoTheGreat
08-22-2002, 2:51 PM
I think the subject is a little broad for a poll. Maybe a poll on a basic genre preference would be a better idea.
 scabb
08-22-2002, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by Isis Kaldara
Who cares? As long as they make the sequel with the original voices and a totally awesome storyline, while at the same time creating a new exciting plotline...

I'll be sound as a pound, baby...

*Giggles and can't wait for the 3rd Austin Powers to come out.*

UGH. Austin Powers 3. The only good part was the start with all the celebs. Just a load of rehashed jokes.

I dont think Grim should have a sequel, it's fine the way it is. A sequel would ruin the originals reputation as a fine, classy adventure game.

If they DID HAVE to have a sequel, it would be preferable if Manny was not involved. Glottis could make a cameo, of course.

Originally posted by Isis Kaldara
I know...Wasn't that a drag? The first one was awesome, but the second one kinda resembled "Terrance and Phillip" as in it was nothing but trash-talk and toilet humor...

Terrence and Phillip humour is great :)
And it's there for a reason. South Park isn't just constant swearing, it's a warped outlook on society (In Particular, 10 yr old children). And 10 year old children WORSHIP poop jokes.
 scabb
08-22-2002, 2:59 PM
Oh, and I don't think Mr Schafer would want a part in ruining Grim Fandango with a shoddy sequel
 Sanspoof
08-23-2002, 2:35 PM
Aaaah... Tim Schafer. The glory days...

Day of the Tentacle (Brilliant!)
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango (Du-u-u-uh!)

Uh... did he make any more?
 scabb
08-23-2002, 3:56 PM
I think he helped out with Monkey Island 2 too, not sure. He doesn't deserve ALL the credit though...
 Lateralis
09-14-2002, 4:25 PM
Don't want to see it. Grim Fandango was a nigh perfect adventure, and a modern LucasArts sequel is like "a baseball cap on a suit of armour."
 jokemaster
09-17-2002, 9:07 PM
they really shouldnt use manny as the main character in the sequel. though a glottis cameo would be fun and manny could have a cameo right at the end of the game. think about it you finally get to the ninth underworld and manny is there waiting for you
 Tall Guy
09-19-2002, 6:12 AM
yeah, that would be cool. i too think that LEC should use a different cast.
 GendoTheGreat
09-20-2002, 1:57 AM
You know what would be great? The ability to erase all memory of the game, so you could play it over like it was the first time. I'd pay money to be able to do that.
Page: 1 of 2