Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Rig! JOY!

Page: 1 of 1
 Boba Rhett
09-06-2001, 9:01 PM
Finally, after two long years of BSOD, neverending IE errors, and the struggles of getting games to run, I'm getting a new computer! Here are the specs,

1.5 ghz P4
256mb rdram pc800
40 gb hdd
Sony 16x10x40 CD-RW
Samsung DVD rom
SoundBlaster
64mb Radeon "sdram vers."
Windows 98 SE

I'm also having my current harddrive stuck into it also. It's just easier that way. :)

I'll probably be picking it up on Monday but it may even be done tomarrow!! :D
 Darth_Rommel
09-06-2001, 9:04 PM
Yay! I'm so happy for you! :D
 Lord JayVizIon
09-06-2001, 9:13 PM
hehe boba, i have the exact opposites of you in terms of your drives. i have a sony dvd rom and a samsung CD-RW...
 Gamma732
09-06-2001, 9:13 PM
Lucky you! Isn't it always nice to get a new PC? :)

My computer's pretty good but right now I only have an 8gb hard drive :( ....I installed Diablo 2 and it suddenly became 2/3 full :rolleyes: Hopefully a little of your luck will rub off on me and I'll finally get the drive upgraded soon
 xwing guy
09-06-2001, 9:15 PM
Whats the video card? Try to get a Nivida Geforce3, its the latest and best.
 Tie Guy
09-06-2001, 9:26 PM
You shouldn't have done that Rhett. 100 credits says that by christmas they will have a processor close to double that speed. You could have waited just a little bit longer, and gotten more out of your money, but ohwell. I really want a new computer too. But i'm gonna wait 'til christmas at least.
 Boba Rhett
09-06-2001, 9:35 PM
Or I could wait a year and get a 5ghz machine or I could wait two years and get a 10 ghz machine or I could wait ten years and get robot that follows me around and plays games for me! :rolleyes: In the pc world, you just have to jump in and hold on. You can't be constantly waiting for something better.

Besides, I doubt they'll have 3ghz out by christmas, well, maybe. The processor companies are only reconfiguring exsisting technology to get it to run faster and I bet the're going to hit a wall soon.

xwing guy,
That's a little out of my price range. :D The card is a 64mb Radeon. One of the best for it's price. :)
 Boba Rhett
09-07-2001, 6:50 PM
Anyone know were I can find a review of my graphics card? "sdram version, not ddr"
 darthfergie
09-07-2001, 6:57 PM
possibly ati.com??? I'm not sure though. Actually are you getting the GeForce3 Equivilent??? If so Computer Gaming Magazine gave it 4 stars out of 5.
 oninosensi
09-07-2001, 6:59 PM
Well, rhett, guess that means you can join the JK whuppings, I mean games!
 xwing guy
09-07-2001, 7:02 PM
About how much to one of those Geforce3 video cards cost? Or a Geforce2 like I have?
 Boba Rhett
09-07-2001, 7:04 PM
Pedro better get ready to become my JK whipping boy! :cool:

Fergie, no, it's not the Geforce 3 equivalent. Your thinking of the Radeon 8500 with trufrom, smartshader, and a whole bunch of other things. Kinda out of my price range :D

I'm going to go buy Deus Ex and Max Payne tonight.

*giggles with excitement*
 Boba Rhett
09-07-2001, 7:07 PM
Nvidia GF3 is around 399. As for GF2s, It depends what kind and what brand.
 General Nilaar
09-07-2001, 7:23 PM
I want a new computer:(

Hmm.... maybe by the end of the year:)

Sometimes I just wish those chip makers would just hit a wall and just be stuck at a certain level for a couple of years;)

I mean, how far can they advance already? And how much further do we really need them to go in the near future? Games are pretty spiffy already, I know I'm good for awhile graphically, let's get back to game play;)
 darthfergie
09-07-2001, 7:33 PM
New techs are going to allow Processors to get up to the 500Ghz level in a few years. Also Hard Drives have some good news...they have new technology would take the computer world OUT of the Gb!!!! I forgot what the name of the next -byte is...All I remeber is it is strange. All of this info from PC Gamer.:)
 Darth_Rommel
09-07-2001, 8:33 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
*giggles with excitement*

Excuse me Rhett, but I'm the only giggler in this town- I mean forum... :mad: *giggles*
 Tie Guy
09-07-2001, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie
New techs are going to allow Processors to get up to the 500Ghz level in a few years. Also Hard Drives have some good news...they have new technology would take the computer world OUT of the Gb!!!! I forgot what the name of the next -byte is...All I remeber is it is strange. All of this info from PC Gamer.:)

The next byte is a terrabyte, or 1000 Gigabytes. I've heard about some of that new technology, but i don't know about 500Ghz, thats an awful lot for a just a few years down the road. Oh well, patience is a virtue after all.
 darthfergie
09-07-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy

The next byte is a terrabyte, or 1000 Gigabytes. I've heard about some of that new technology, but i don't know about 500Ghz, thats an awful lot for a just a few years down the road. Oh well, patience is a virtue after all.

A few years down the road for the government and large corparations. It won't be available to the public for at least a decade.:(
(by the way right now they have comps for corparations with 4 pntium3 1.0 Ghz and 2 graphics cards 1.0gb of RAM just $9,999 to RENT for 5 months)
 Rogue15
09-08-2001, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
[B]Or I could wait a year and get a 5ghz machine or I could wait two years and get a 10 ghz machine or I could wait ten years and get robot that follows me around and plays games for me! :rolleyes: In the pc world, you just have to jump in and hold on. You can't be constantly waiting for something better.

YOU TELL IT TO HIM, MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

\/\/00000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

*overhyped from getting Jared (redwing's bro) all mad and leaving the mots game.

heh. I would've been playing for a few more hours if he hadn't left!!!!!!!! :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett:

MANOWARS RULES!!!!!!!! *trips and falls into an anthill
 Boba Rhett
09-10-2001, 7:28 PM
Awwwww crap. I was supposed to get it today but they only had one of them done, "the other was for my twin brother" so I don't get it until tomarrow. :( :mad:

At least when I get it I'll have some kickarse games to play on it. Deus Ex, Max Payne and Black & White. :)
 Boba Rhett
09-11-2001, 7:19 PM
Woohoo!! I am now behind the wheel of my new computer. I love this thing!
Page: 1 of 1