Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[OT] Powerpuff Review (Obvious Spoilers)

Page: 1 of 1
 BeastMaster
07-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Just trying to generate traffic.

Actually a surprisingly good film, and I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm a fan of Genndy Tartakovsky.

The movie is basically a prequel to the series, showing the creation of the Powerpuffs, and how they decided to become superheroes.

The animation was typically stylized, of course, but had enough "big screen" bells and whistles to be suitably impressive (reflections, CGI effects, and so on).

What really impressed me was the writing. I wasn't expecting much (the target demographic is like 5-14), but this was really good. Everyone was well-characterized, the motivations were clear (if a little obvious), and the plot was coherent and organized. They even kept to continuity (with Jojo's role in the creation of the girls, and everyone's mismemory of the events). It's not Shakespeare, but it's still good, and the monkey gags were laugh-out-loud.

I was particularly impressed to see Mojo in full Evil Mastermind mode. Unlike the cartoon, this Mojo was dangerous, and the Army of Mojos was just plain cool. He had a brilliant (if clichйd) plot, set it in motion, and was on the verge of total victory. He only made two mistakes. First, he underestimated the ambition of his followers (showing his typical overconfidence), and he misjudged his own effectiveness at dealing with the girls (again, overconfident).

Plus he got to beat up the Gangreen Gang. :cool:

Fave Moments:
*The Professor's Note to Self ("Good parents don't leave their children home alone at night." :rolleyess )
*The "Tag" sequence (some of the best high-speed action I've seen, because as fast as it was, you could actually tell what was happening!!! --Directors, take note!)
*The Professor being the doting dad.
*Buttercup realizing what she does best, and panicking over getting in trouble.

I'd call this a must see if you're a Powerpuff fan, a Tartakovsky fan, or even just a simple animation buff.
 TheMadDoofer
07-12-2002, 1:13 AM
I swear, that movie put a hole in my eardrums!

Not really, but it felt like it!!

:(
 Nute Gunray
07-12-2002, 9:33 AM
No one will see this movie with me. I don't want to go alone.
BLOSSOM IS THE BEST.
 Darth_Rommel
07-12-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm sure both my younger sisters will be seeing this... probably not in theatres, though. Heh... who knows? I might watch it with them! :D

And... I'll be Blossom, cuz she's the leader! :p
 BeastMaster
07-13-2002, 7:38 AM
Originally posted by Nute Gunray
No one will see this movie with me. I don't want to go alone.

Wuss. ;)

BLOSSOM IS THE BEST.

Then why did you vote for Mojo?

I voted Buttercup ('cause she kicks ass), and Rommel just said he voted for Blossom. That's three votes, all accounted for.

Though, as I've said before, I always seem to "hear" Nute's posts in Mojo's voice, so I guess it fits. Plus he's got the whole inept megalomaniac thing going on.
 Redwing
07-14-2002, 8:41 AM
I like em all. But Buttercup is the best :D

I think no one was expecting this movie to be good, except for those who reviewed it early...I thought it was a bad idea. But it looks like it might actually be cool, from plain word of mouth...so I'll most likely go see it. ^_^
 Nute Gunray
07-14-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by BeastMaster
Then why did you vote for Mojo?

Standby for answer:

Though, as I've said before, I always seem to "hear" Nute's posts in Mojo's voice, so I guess it fits. Plus he's got the whole inept megalomaniac thing going on.

^^^reason^^^

:D
Page: 1 of 1