Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Space Balls Vs Star Wars

Page: 1 of 1
 Kryllith
03-15-2002, 4:51 AM
I actually feel asleep briefly watching The Phantom Menace in theatres (ah the draining life of a grad student). Luckily it was my 4th time seeing it so I had no problems following the story when my mind snapped into place.

Mez1109, why are you buying food at the theatre? Buy something at the local grocery store and eat that instead. With the money you save you can afford tickets for 3 more movies. :)

Kryllith
 mez1109
07-11-2002, 7:58 PM
Now I know that if Star Wars did not excist, neather would Space Balls.

Still, are bits in Space Balls better then the characters in Star Wars:

Yoghurt could beat Yoda up any time, with his powers, as Yoghurt is Jewish (private joke).

The Death Star is no challange to the Robatic Cleaning Lady, which sucks the air from planets, after entering the password: 1,2,3,4 to open the planets outer shields.

The Millenium Falcon is much better then the flying Van.

Darth Vaders Force Choke move is no challange to the Force Private Part Sqeeze (OOOOHHHH That must hurt).

Darth Vaders inlarged helmet ontop of a little guy, not good, just really silly.

Best line in Space Balls: "The Radar is Jamed"
Best Space Balls Scene: Combing the Desert

The Schwarz comes also in liquid fuel form, and rings are used instead of lightsabers.

MAY THE SCHWARZ BE WITH YOU ALWAYS!!!!!!
 Kyle d'Tana
07-11-2002, 8:18 PM
Spam
 mez1109
07-11-2002, 8:45 PM
Remember This:
 Zindell
07-11-2002, 9:11 PM
Starwars is so much cooler sorry

and it's combing the desert :xp:
 Kyle d'Tana
07-11-2002, 9:14 PM
Ok, I meant that Space Balls is spam. Its not cool whiteout the scene : "Combing the desert" and : "The kids like that" (flamethrower)
 Kryllith
07-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Zindell
Starwars is so much cooler sorry

and it's combing the desert :xp:
The passcode is also 1,2,3,4,5.
The jam was raspberry, not strawberry.
His name is Yogurt.
I don't recall any scene asking Leia's ability to use a weapon, especially a phaser.
I don't recall any scene where the TIE fighters flew into the millenium falcon (though there were numerous scenes where it flew at it)

I do like the virgin alarm, the dancing alien, Pizza the Hutt eating himself to death, Vespa's hair headphones, Helmet playing with the action figures, the stunt doubles, and numerous other aspects of the movie. :)

Kryllith
 mez1109
07-11-2002, 11:57 PM
Very touchy replies.

Peace MAN:D
 ET Warrior
07-12-2002, 1:10 AM
Mez....there is no such thing in Star Wars as a phaser. Blasters, yes, NO phasers. Phasers is a goofy star trek weapon, not ever seen in Star Wars.
 mez1109
07-12-2002, 4:46 AM
Come on people something more productive, people are so stressed sometimes.

HOW dare I......ME.......a bare Mortal.........compare George's Star Wars......To......To............SPACE BALLS.

I bow my head in shame.

YEAH Right.
 Exar Kun II
07-12-2002, 5:52 AM
Well Mez the reason some people reacted the way they did is because you really cannot compare Space Balls The Movie:) to STAR WARS, because Spaceballs is nothing more than a spoof of Star Wars, it's not really it's own film. Spaceballs is not meant to be serious in any way.:)

It's almost like trying to seriously compare HOT SHOTS to TOP GUN.:D
 ET Warrior
07-12-2002, 6:14 AM
And the fact that you repeatedly use Star Trek Terminology when talking about Star Wars doesn't help either. Phasers.....:rolleyess
 Exar Kun II
07-12-2002, 6:22 AM
Phasers.

On the rare occasions when the phasers could actually be fired(because the damned things almost NEVER worked), they couldn't do damage to anything.:D
 MotionMan
07-12-2002, 5:49 PM
Thats like comparing:
RobinHood-Prince of theives with RobinHood-Men in thights:rolleyes:
 mez1109
07-15-2002, 11:03 PM
PLEASE **READ** the first post, I KNOW.....

....that Spaceballs is pisstake of Star Wars

....that you can not compare them a seperate movies

I am not saying that, I am saying that certain parts of the movie Space Balls, are more interesting then the Star Wars version.

Totally of the point:
You bunch of GL lovers, saying that ALL he does is the best, and has no faults are like sheep.

YOU are the customer, YOU are the ones that pay GL, he should try his best to give YOU the best he can.

GL has gone over his head, a good example, when trying to run the promotional video for SW behind the scenes.
The interviewer jokes with him, and GL give him a dirty look and answers strongly.

When GL was younger, he loved what he was doing, now he loves more money.

If you watch Steven Spielberg movies, even now, you will notice that his movies are still greatly loved, even his new movies.

I am not saying that what he has achieved is rubbish, no, this forum is a exellent idea, the games made are exellent, but nearly ALL the games are base on the old SW series, not the new ones.
 Kryllith
07-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by mez1109
Totally of the point:
You bunch of GL lovers, saying that ALL he does is the best, and has no faults are like sheep.

YOU are the customer, YOU are the ones that pay GL, he should try his best to give YOU the best he can.
All I've said is that people should appreciate the story as a whole instead of getting upset about individual movies. I think there are a few people here that take it to the extremes in their loyalty, but most of the people recognize various things that bother them but accept them anyway.

I'd say he still loves doing what he's doing more than the money. Does he want to make a lot of money too? Certainly (most people would). But you have to remember that Lucas also spends quite a bit in his productions, not only on the productions themselves but in the generating of new technology. And why does he spend so much money on new technology? It's because he wants people to see the story the way he envisioned it. Before anything else, I'd say Lucas is interested in storytelling.

I am not saying that what he has achieved is rubbish, no, this forum is a exellent idea, the games made are exellent, but nearly ALL the games are base on the old SW series, not the new ones.
True, but remember that there were 20 years of game making time between the trilogies. If you go back and include all the SW games. you're talking about including 2 or 3 games from the Atari 2600, and everything since then. It's going to take quite some time (and another movie) before it will get anywhere close to balancing it out. But there are still a fair number of games which derive from or contain aspects of the new movies: Racer, Racer II, Demolition (Aurra Sing was playable), The Phantom Menace, Jedi Power Battles, Battle for Naboo, Rogue Squadron (the Naboo starfigher was playable via cheat code), Bounty Hunter, Galactic Battlegrounds (with or without the Clone Campaigns expansion), Obi-wan, Attack of the Clones, and Jedi Starfighter. Jedi Knight II, Rogue Squadron II, Galaxies, and various others (games I've not played) may also draw from the new trilogy...

Kryllith
 MotionMan
07-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Totally of the point:
The SW movies are not perfect. I know. The OT wasnt perfect either, but i eccept them for what they are. I am a SW fan and I embrace every new SW flick with open arms. Unlike some who are ready to nitpick the hell out of them.

Yea we do pay him. Thanks GL for making SW a kick ass saga. Keep up the good work. I think you deserve a raise:cool:

The SW story has been in his head since he was younger. If he made it 20 years ago or 20 years from now it would basically be the same.

If you watch Steven Spielberg movies, even now, you will notice that his movies are still greatly loved, even his new movies. Not really. A.I. anyone? I watched Minority report and it was good but not great.

Most of the games are based on the OT because the OT has been out for 20 years. Of coarse there is going to be more games based on those movies.:rolleyes:.
 MotionMan
07-15-2002, 11:37 PM
I suppose me and Kryllith posted our responses at the same time. Well you beat me to it ;)
Still you posted kinda what I did:D
 mez1109
07-16-2002, 12:02 AM
Very true, specially the part that 20 years of gaming industry time given to Star Wars, but for the new games, the developers had a choice.

The choice was either to make a game based on the new episodes, which even the younger viewers know, or the old episodes, and EU based on the old episodes. The ols episodes won.

Ofcourse GL wants to make money, but he has lost the LOVE (I sound like a hippy).

For example, the Episode 1 Racing Scene was not even supposed to be in the original movie plan, the only reason it was written into the finished movie was to advertise the Episode 1 Racing game, as admited by GL and the news, which gave the game lots of publicity.

There are other good scenes like the Darth Maul fight.

Then again, Steven Spielberg is loving more money, and he has made MORE movies then GL, so more experience.

To really think about it, SW is the only movie GL was good at, as Spielberg worked with GL to make Indiana Jones.
 ET Warrior
07-16-2002, 1:35 AM
I can't see how George lost the love of his movies.....i mean, he is the first man ever to do an entire film digitally.....and why do you think he did that? Could it be that he wanted his fans to be able to see Star Wars Episode 2 in as good of condition as is possible? He sent nearly every theater first generation film, not second and third, thus sending out higher quality film. Did it cost more? Yes. But he did it anyway, to improve the viewing quality for his fans. We didn't have to pay more to see it, but he had to pay more to make it.
 Jedi_Monk
07-16-2002, 4:53 AM
RobinHood-Prince of theives with RobinHood-Men in thights
No, it wouldn't be like that because Robin Hood: Prince of Theives sucks.

And Lucas has not lost the love; everyone who talks to Lucas about SW says that he's still excited about it and that he's still interested with the universe he's created. And he made the podracer scene because he loves drag racing.

[http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg[/img])
 mez1109
07-18-2002, 4:27 AM
I am not someone who picks on small minor detail in a movie, I did not even notice the difference between SW2 and other movies in the theater.

I just think that not much of the old GL was put into the movies, the same the other people said, they mostly say that someone else should direct the SW3 movie.

Like I said, it is GL's attitude in a TV behind the scense documentry to advertise his movie, that made me think, what a ****, this is advertising your movie, why that rude manner.

Maybe it just because I am from the UK, and we have Warner Village Cinemas and Odean, but the screens are small, and GL did not much advertising compared to the US.

GL CAN do better, but is NOT doing better, evidence is in EP1 and his old SW series.
 ET Warrior
07-19-2002, 2:51 AM
I think the biggest problem, is that you never make any sense when you are writing........................i dont have the slightest idea what you are trying to say in that post.......
 mez1109
07-19-2002, 5:12 AM
LOL :)

I KNOW.......HE....He....He:p
 Demolisher
07-20-2002, 9:46 PM
It'd be cool if there was a Spaceballs prequel since the prequels for star wars are being made. It'd be even cooler if Kevin Smith made it instead of Mel Brooks :D
 mez1109
07-21-2002, 7:06 AM
Not a bad idea, but I think that is the problem.

Ther ain't going to be another Space Balls.

Space Balls was made because of the success of the previous SW series, but the new episodes did not really keep the SW fame.

Hardly anyone liked or saw SW2, I know alot of you loved it, but lets be reasonable, Spideman got the US box office hit NOT SW2.

We can argue about that forever, but SW2 was interesting for the fans who wanted to know about Anakin/Vader's life.

As a real smash hit movie, it quiet sucked, as most people have seen better from Gl and other movies.

Spiderman was OK, not exactly one of the best movie I have ever seen, but worth to watch once, but SW2 was not much better, just finding out about Darth's previous life was worth it.

This is probably the reason that there will be no more Space Balls, as the new SW episodes (except of EP1) are not worth taking the piss out of, but SW3 ain't released yet, but you never know.

It has been several bad years for the movie industry, because of the amount of rubbish and moderate standared movies being released.

Alot of themovies released won't be seen on TV continuesly in the near future, but alot of the old movies are making it BIG now in 2002, that is embaressing, MI2 style embaressing.

Who knows, SW3 might be the biggest hit ever, but at the present moment, SW has a bad name.

Please GL, bring up you reputation again, as at the present moment the EU based PC games are doing much better.
 Jedi_Monk
07-22-2002, 4:32 PM
We can argue about that forever,
Why? This seems like something that is not very subjective so let's just look at the facts... Star Wars vs. Spider-Man in the numbers.

Star Wars holds the 19th spot this week in number of theaters where it's still playing with 562 this week (Spider-Man isn't even in the top 40). I went to see Star Wars last week and there were still about 20 people there in its ninth week on a week day, while Spider-Man is gone from the theater.

Star Wars and Spider-Man are the two top grossing movies opening this year, and as of last weekend I could find figures for (the weekend of the 12th), Star Wars had about 300 million and Spider-Man had 400 million and Star Wars is still playing to make up the difference while Spider-Man isn't around to keep up its lead.

Also, because he only wanted SW2 to open on the best screens with digital sound, Lucas held back releasing SW2 in small towns and older theaters for the first eight weeks. SW2 has only just begun to open in these theaters where Spider-Man might have opened on its first day. This will produce a whole new round of money-making for AotC, which opened on far less screens than did Spider-Man.

Spider-Man might've been the smash hit of this year, but remember that Spider-Man also has a built-in audience and this was the first time Spider-Man's ever been on the big screen. This was the Phantom Menace for Spider-Man fans, of course it's gonna be huge.

Remember that ANH made more than The Empire Strikes Back; the original almost always grosses more than its sequel, no matter how great the sequel may be. ANH is the #2 top grossing movie of all time. Attack of the Clones is in the #13 spot on the top grossing list--and that's ahead of The Empire Strikes Back which is at #15.

How do these numbers imply that
Hardly anyone liked or saw SW2...
 mez1109
07-22-2002, 7:09 PM
See this is what I don't understand, I might not have found SW2 the best movie ever, but I thought EP1 was an exellent SW Movie.

So technically as everyone else loved EP1 as well, they would all go to watch SW2 no matter of what was delivered to them, but for some reason few people went.

SW2 is for FANS ONLY, NON FANS would not touch it with a 10 foot sterolised pole.
 Kryllith
07-23-2002, 1:58 AM
I'd argue that all the SW movies, especially the new trilogy are for the fans. It's the fans that are going to see the movies numerous times in the theatres after all and pick up the videos/dvds when the come out (possibly other merchandise too). Generally if people weren't a fan of the original trilogy, they probably wouldn't have bothered to see the new trilogy. For that matter, if they didn't like New Hope, they probably didn't bother with Empire or Jedi).

As for why less people have seen AotC than TPM. Well there's the group of people that didn't like TPM so they probably didn't care to see AotC. Additionally, there are people who saw TPM more because it was the first completely new Star Wars in about 14-15 years. Besides, it was said at the outset that AotC's overall earnings would rank high because of its longevity in theatres...

Kryllith
 toolboi
07-23-2002, 2:11 AM
I dont know about the rest, but I found AOtC a hell of a lot funnier than space balls

"I had that dream about my mother again..."
 MotionMan
07-23-2002, 2:13 AM
Anyhow what does how many poeple watching a movie have to do with how goood it is?
Look at Scooby-Doo, MIB2, wild wild west, and other movies that have been #1 in the box office and sold out and are crap.

Anyway Non-theless all the sw films have been box office success's. If you are a true SW fan you have seen AOTC more than once or twice in the theatres(like I have:)). Just like all the ones that came before AOTC. People saw it more than once in the theatres.

Unlike other people who bash the films but they still manage to go watch the films and post in SW fan forums just to bash em.
I dont know what to call these people. semi-Fans or haters. :confused:
 mez1109
07-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Yeah, does semi-fans as you call them should not even post on this site.

Anyhooo, I liked the story line of SW2, but I have seen better SW movies, I have NOT seen better movies at the same period of the SW2 release, but I have seen better SW movies, like EP1.

I repeated myself for those people ready to mob me with flaming torches and branding me a SW hater.

Jedi_Monk did say that even movies who make it to the top of the Box Office, still lose out a few weeks later, like Spiderman.

Forest Gump, damn, that was in the cinemas for ages.

The fans only watching EP1 more then once is half true, as I nearly all my friends NEVER that right NEVER seen ANY of the SW movies, but after EP1 they became fans.

SW2 is not one of those movies that creates fans, as a none fan can't understand what was going on.

SW2 was VERY WELL made, but that childish comedy pissed me so off, don't care if little kids want to watch it, these kids ruined Batman, The Mummy 2 they can put SW2 on their list, I bet the next Indiana Jones is next.

To tel you the truth, for some reason Anakin is not as likable in the movies as Obi Wan.

Obi Wan had scenes JUST on his own, as if he was the star of the movie and the main character, those parts are my favorite parts of the movie.
 Jedi_Monk
07-23-2002, 1:07 PM
SW2 was VERY WELL made, but that childish comedy pissed me so off, don't care if little kids want to watch it...
There was far more "childish comedy" in TPM. Now, I'm not one of those TPM bashers, but as movies go, TPM was nowhere near as good as AotC on any level including acting, effects, drama, music and direction... also, the action scenes were bigger. Actually, there is one category where TPM is better than AotC--nothing can beat the Duel of the Fates.
To tel you the truth, for some reason Anakin is not as likable in the movies as Obi Wan.
Maybe that's because Anakin is a spoiled snot who's been told he's the bleeding Jedi messiah for his whole life but still has to deal with a mentor who's main goal is putting some humility into him. This kid's gonna become Darth Vader; not a likable person.

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg)
 ET Warrior
07-23-2002, 3:28 PM
SW2 is for FANS ONLY, NON FANS would not touch it with a 10 foot sterolised pole.
Actually, i know of several people in my town who had NEVER seen a star wars movie....ever. They went to see AotC to see what it's all about......and now they love Star Wars.... So apparently it is also for non fans........
If you are a true SW fan you have seen AOTC more than once or twice in the theatres(like I have).
I went and saw it again last night for the 9th time..............it is SO good. WAY better than TPM. and i loved TPM.........
 Kryllith
07-23-2002, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

Actually, i know of several people in my town who had NEVER seen a star wars movie....ever. They went to see AotC to see what it's all about......and now they love Star Wars.... So apparently it is also for non fans........
Those aren't non-fans. Those are fans that just didn't know they were fans. :)

I went and saw it again last night for the 9th time..............it is SO good. WAY better than TPM. and i loved TPM.........
Sadly, I've only seen it 3 times in theatres (I saw TPM 4 or 5 so I guess I have some catch up to do). A couple of my friends are coming in for the weekend and they're both huge Star Wars fans, so maybe we'll go see it again Friday or Saturday. :)

Kryllith
 ET Warrior
07-23-2002, 7:37 PM
Jeez kryllith, only 3 times!?!?!? I am so ashamed of you! ;) J/K

one of my good friends has only seen it 4 times, and he's a HUGE star wars fan. The biggest problem of course is the cost....spending so much is hard for movies, lucky for me, i know the people who run the theater, and they let me in for free3 times. And then last night i went to a theater that only charges 2 dollars on monday nights........so it's GREAT. :D
 Lionen
07-23-2002, 8:02 PM
Ive seen it once in cinema:D

But don't flame me yet.. I have also downloaded it from Kazaa, so i have still watched it several times...
 MotionMan
07-23-2002, 8:05 PM
I seen it 5 times...or was it 4:snear:-?
 Kryllith
07-23-2002, 8:07 PM
*Dives for cover* :)

Well that's what I get for not living near all my other big Star Wars friends anymore. Also probably the difference when I have to pay for it (I saw Empire about 12-15 times in the theatre and didn't pay once). :) Course my wife is now out of work so the budget has got even tighter. Luckily, I have a few hundred dollars in my own account so I'm set to see it a few more times before it leaves theatres. :)

*flames Lionen for dling it from Kazaa*

Kryllith
 mez1109
07-24-2002, 5:24 PM
:D LOL:D

I don't think it will cost TOO MUCH to watch SW2 in the cinema several times, except if you spend lots on drinks, pop corn, hot dogs, ice cream and tacos.

You could actually gain alot of weight from watching SW2 too much:p .

Brace yourself, I have seen SW2 ONCE

YES

******ONCE*****

In the cinema, I went with my little brother, and nearly fell asleep, I had a long day and was very tiered.
 Jedi_Monk
07-24-2002, 5:45 PM
In the cinema, I went with my little brother, and nearly fell asleep, I had a long day and was very tiered.
Perhaps that's why you seem to have missed so much :eyeraise: :p

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg)
 ET Warrior
07-24-2002, 6:39 PM
perhaps you should go see it again......when you're not very tired........just a thought.
 MotionMan
07-24-2002, 7:56 PM
:Brace yourself, I have seen SW2 ONCE

YES

******ONCE*****

Ahhh it is all clear now. You post all these crazy posts that dont make sense cause you havent even seen ep.2 awake.
heh thats why I dont agree with you most of the time cause you MAY not know what you saw or are talking about.:)
Watch the movie again. youll like it.
Page: 1 of 1