Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Put it to your ear, u can hear the sea!

Page: 1 of 1
 Kwok69
07-11-2002, 3:25 AM
:biggs:

Ok, I've got an idea that could use some discussion so please put down your thoughts here for all to view.

I play some other games online that work a lot better when I use a comms program with the other players because we can describe things easily and call for help etc, etc.

In SWG and many other MMORPGs the genre is if you wanna chat with someone then you need to type your conversation into the keyboard. I don't really want to get bogged down with lots of typing all the time in SWG but I still want to meet players.

Would it be possible to have a universal server for voice comms to run alongside SWG? In the interests of true role playing, the more we communicate the better we enhance our gaming experience so why couldn't we do that?

It could even follow the same principles that you can only hear those within a certain distance, similarly to the typing senario. Different objects like machines or vehicles could have different sound ranges (so a low flying ship could be heard by many people in the vacinity but only seen by those at a distance).

What do you think ?

Kwok :)
 Ewok Hunter
07-11-2002, 5:30 AM
I don't know, sound good but it would require a lot of work. the additional proccesing required to play all those sounds at once could tax some computers quite heavily. besides they're already going to start beta testing soon, so they'll be more focused on fixing problems rather than disigning new features, maybe sometime in the future.
 YourGod
07-11-2002, 6:57 AM
i'd have to agree w/ewok...it's a little too late to include that in the game, but i think it'd be an awesome addition in one of the expansion packs.

i also got a q bout exp packs...will they be like the Diablo one, where you could only play the game w/other ppls who have the exp pack? that'd make it suck for those of us that might be broke when the exp pack is released
 Koffin
07-11-2002, 7:30 AM
1. As for Coms, as long as the let us Alt-Tab, voice wont be a problem.

2. As for the exp. packs, (well at least for the first), The exp. pack will deal with space combat, a feature that the original package does not have.
 Ewok Hunter
07-11-2002, 10:18 AM
I'm sure that they won't limit it to just space combat. they will most likely add something to keep us landlubbers intrested as well.
 D@rth M@ul
07-12-2002, 4:41 PM
I think it will be possible.

It may take a 3rd-party but It probably will happen.

Take Counter-Strike for example.

Roger Wilco is a stand aside voice program. Finally cs incorporated
voice into cs.

I think it will happen
 Ewok Hunter
07-13-2002, 4:11 AM
but does Roger Wilco do full sound scaling like Kwok was talking about? even then it would still take a good deal of prossesing power to run. also, if you turned it off on your computer, you wouldn't be able to hear what was being talked about. don't take it personally, it's just technical barriers that have to be overcome.
 Lord Helmet
07-13-2002, 5:30 AM
And if ur a wookie...and you talk into it you hear a loud ARGGGRAWWGG, or if you whisper ,a soft ARRGGWAAARRR comes out, but if you have droid it still goes RAWWWGGARRRR out of your character but then your droid says what u really said in your voice through the program! Now that we have it all cleared up we can agree on its awesomeness....yeah!
 Ewok Hunter
07-13-2002, 7:02 AM
/\
/II\
/ II \
II
II
II why we need the language skill :D
 Jan Gaarni
07-13-2002, 11:13 PM
:wstupid:
 Lord Helmet
07-14-2002, 4:29 AM
i am truley offended :ball:
 Ewok Hunter
07-14-2002, 7:24 AM
i'll delete it if you rephrase you statement in a understandible way;).
 Jan Gaarni
07-14-2002, 9:04 PM
:wstupid:

:D
Page: 1 of 1