Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

3D Studio Max 4.2 and Jedi Knight 2

Page: 1 of 1
 comedyofjustice
07-06-2002, 3:26 PM
:guybrush: :elaine: Is there any potential way to build levels in 3dsmax and then import them into a radiant program for texturing effects weapons entities etc. Even if lights, materials, and animated objects could not be exported the benefits of building the frame of map in 3dsmax would be enormous. Just imagine all of the shapes that could be made - easily. A map of nothing but curved surfaces would take no time at all, though I have no idea why anyone would want to create such a thing.

This ability would be a great boon to all 3dsmax users as mapping time could be cut by unimaginab amounts.
 The Truthful Liar
07-06-2002, 5:34 PM
comedyofjustice welcome to the jk2.net forums, I hope you enjoy your stay!! Please accept this "jk2.net welcome basket" filled with endless ammounts of goodies which you can snack on while browsing our forums!! :D :D :D

My opinion is that it's easier to map instead of going through all the trouble.
 comedyofjustice
07-06-2002, 5:40 PM
but is it possible believe me if your good at 3dsmax 4 it is worth it i cannot even begin to describe the potential shapes enviroments etc.
 Anakin
07-06-2002, 5:49 PM
Im affraid to say you cant :(
 comedyofjustice
07-07-2002, 6:50 AM
could an intermediary prog be written if it cant be done

Richdiesel COMMENT please or post names of people who might be interested or know
 fourwood
07-08-2002, 2:14 AM
You can use GMax to create Quake3 maps, but in my experience, it is a pain to make very complex brush structures.
 MacD
07-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Don't know if this'll help, but there is a program which will export 3dsmax (in .a(c/s)e format) to UnrealEd as a brush. Maybe there's a way to get stuff from unrealed to QERadiant? If so, then there's a hack :)
 Emon
07-09-2002, 1:45 AM
Radiant is much, much, much easier and more powerful for building levels in JO or Q3. Not to mention is a hell of a lot faster.
 Indy4
07-10-2002, 12:51 AM
can you make models in 3ds max and transport them to jedi knight 2?
 Andy867
07-10-2002, 3:23 AM
is it possible to import OBJ files into 3d Studio Max?I am trying to do so to get a better lookat a map that was made into an OBJ file from the original FACT file format it was in... any help would be appreciated
 NITEMARE
07-10-2002, 9:48 PM
yes there are import/exporter included for 3dmax in the editing tools. but those are just for simple model, of a decorative sort...
but forget about importing whole soldit structures. btw the curved surfaces are good tho. but the tools to make them are not the best. i use gtk radiant and have no idea how to make a real round cylinder! and u know what? raven cant either. load the ffa_yavin map and check the cylinders (stone pillars) at the center of the map. these are no perfect circles! there are slight corners. and if i try to correct this with vertex editing i get other corners, more sharp of nature. but check out the other tools, like matrix and stuff. great for terrain. not that bad...
 Emon
07-11-2002, 3:40 AM
Uh, you can't make a real round cylinder because that's impossible. "Curved surfaces" which you see in movies are just a **** load of polygons put together. The denser you make the cylinder in GTKRad, the rounder it will be.
 NITEMARE
07-11-2002, 5:39 AM
like im stupid or what? i am an advanced 3dmax user and know about that stuff. thats not what i meant...
http://nitemares.de/pix/circle.jpg)

inside is a normal arbitrary sided brush with 32 faces...that looks perfect heh? but the so called "cylinder" that i get if i make one out of a brush has those round corners. the density of the polygons is not the problem. more the way those curves are generated...
but what do i know, im new to this q3 mapping anyway.
 Emon
07-11-2002, 6:23 AM
Sooo...what's your point? You want to use 32 sided brushes that are slower and can't be adjusted via geometry detail instead of patches which are faster and can be adjusted with the geometry detail in the options menu? Fine, go ahead.
 NITEMARE
07-11-2002, 2:24 PM
no man i know the benefits! but cant u see the round corners sticking thru? the red one is a normal slow 32 sided brush. and the black cicle is the capped cylinder. it is not a circle! normaly we wouldnt bother but sometimes u just need a normal cylinder and not a squared one!
 Indy4
07-12-2002, 12:40 AM
can anybody pm me the location where to download 3ds Max?
 jipe
07-12-2002, 6:18 AM
I hope you're joking.. but really, if you're that stupid, it'll take you ridiculously long to learn how to use the program anyways. I suggestion buying the educational version for $640 from studica.com or journeyed.com.
 NodeFx
07-12-2002, 11:15 PM
OK... 3DSM is way more powerfull than any mapping proggy made specificly for a game. The way it was done for UnrealED was we made the entire map in 3DSM then exported it as a texture and imported it into UED. im not sure if you had to rebuild the map since its been a long time since i have even used 3DSM but its worth it to learn. And if you know what your doing it does not take long to make a map(about the same maybe even faster than UnrealED) and its not really hard.
 Indy4
07-13-2002, 1:01 AM
then what program should i get other than 3ds max ?

and

where can i find some good gmax tutorials other than the ones they give you with the program?
Page: 1 of 1