Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

R.I.P. Roy

Page: 1 of 1
 Schmatz
07-04-2002, 4:34 AM
In case you haven't checked mixnmojo.com lately, you all know that Roy Conrad died from cancer not too long ago. This is most unfortunate and a great loss for LEC and the community. When I first heard that he died, I thought "Who will do the voice of Ben NOW?!" I mean, it just won't be the same without Roy's voice, so it'll be a problem, but I'm sure LEC would find someone. Who do you think would be good for the voice?

So one last time:
"When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible... No one can stop me, but they try..."
 MeddlingMonk
07-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Yeah, they'll find someone. I know some people think the guy who did Luke in JO was bad, but I think he did a good job. He doesn't sound exactly like Mark Hamill, but so what? He comes very close. I'm sure LEC will get as close or closer on FT2.

Maybe Ben Fletcher should audition since he does such a good job on Darth Vader. ;)
 Jake
07-04-2002, 2:57 PM
Clint Bajakian should try out. He does the voice of Jabba and Darth Maul in the games. Hee hee.
 Swordmaster
07-04-2002, 4:02 PM
Kind of ironic really, they got Mark Hamill to do voice-over for Full Throttle yet he hasn't been on any Star Wars title yet. (As far as I'm aware of, that is.)
 MeddlingMonk
07-05-2002, 2:33 AM
Maybe he's just had enough SW to last him the rest of his life. ;)
 Schmatz
07-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Maybe he was hanging around with Sir Alec Guiness too long, and once he died, took the place of the one ashamed of being in Star Wars (since his character was SO whiny!). Hamill did a lot of voices, like Ripburger, and he even did the voice of the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series... yet he still isn't a voiceover in any Star Wars games... funny yet mysterious....
 Jake
07-06-2002, 4:19 AM
I think Mark Hamill likes Star Wars, and likes professional voice acting, but doesn't like mixing the two.
 QueZTone
07-08-2002, 9:38 PM
I think the Confederation won't let Hamill do voice acting for Star Wars universe Rebels...
 Ben Whatsisname
07-14-2002, 10:36 AM
I think Mark is in the same boat with Shatner and Nemoy. If you become too associated with a character, it typecasts you as being "only able to play that character. (Look at Joey Lawrence from "Brotherly Love" and "Blossom" - exact same character - different last name)

I know it may have been a joke on Mark's part when he appeared on "Just Shoot Me" as himself and had to fight off drooling fanboy Dennis Finch, having to endure questions like 'What was it like flying through space with with Chebacca' [paraphrased]. It also may have been a joke in "Jay & Silent Bob Stike Back" when he gets his hand chopped off and whines "Not again..."

I think Mark appreciates the fact that his fortune was built with Luke's lightsaber, but at the same time he wants to be able to do voiceovers like Ripburger's and smile as people say "WOW! That's the same guy who played Luke Skywalker? It doesn't sound like him. He's a really versitile actor!"

Unless George makes Episode 7, Mark can safely hang up his Jedi robes and make a living without having to suckle at the Lucasfilm teat to survive. The fact that LEC hires him to voice MANY other roles doesn't act as an apron string for him, but rather shows that LEC knows a good voice actor when they hear one.
 mercatfat
07-14-2002, 2:32 PM
Ben is absolutely right. It's honestly hard for me to think of a pretty famous actor that I can truly consider versatile besides maybe, say, Tom Hanks, but even he plays the 'poor me' archetype quite often. Comedies in particular, the actors tend to become an acquired taste like your best friend's sense of humor. If say, Adam Sandler, didn't play the fish out of water role that he's done since he left SNL, people wouldn't probably find nearly as much draw to his movies since humans are generally much more comfortable with what they're familiar with, and every one of his movies is the exact goddamn same. Then again, generally speaking, his movies have met with less and less success, most likely because of people tiring of the character. Therefore, he eventually will likely have to spend the next 3 movies changing his archetype or just retire altogether.

In short, Mark Hamill is doing the right thing by picking more obscure roles, such as the Joker in the Batman series or the robot dude in Time Squad.. hell, even Cockknocker in Jay and Silent Bob Strike back had some originality merits. If you look at his movie career, he's rarely played the same character twice unless it's a sequel. Admittedly, Mark Hamill isn't the greatest on-screen actor, but his ability to play so many different roles and so many different voices is pretty notable.
Page: 1 of 1