Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Visual damage

Page: 1 of 1
 Vicious
07-03-2002, 3:52 PM
While reading about the developement mired Call of Cthulhu (which looks awsome by the way) i read that damage in that game will have to be visually assessed, by looking at yourself, and also manifest in how your character moves and acts (limping, hallucinating, etc).

this makes me wonder, how tangible will injury and other variances be in SWG? will characters bleed or limp or anything? There's an opportunity to feature a great bit of detail.
 Koffin
07-03-2002, 3:55 PM
I could almost say that it will definitly affect your use of skills and attributes, or at least Im pretty sure it will.

As for the visible limping and other damage, your guess is as good as mine.
 RoyalGuard
07-03-2002, 9:55 PM
hmm, while I'm sure that visual damage assessment will play some part in the game, remember that Star Wars isn't the most gory of films...

I think you can expect to see a bruised/mussed up skin for each model and subtractions (like amputated hands/arms). That's probably it...
 setsuko
07-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Again, remember the Teen rating (since they can't have lower and include graphical violence). With those americano wussy ratings, you can barely have blood in a game without getting an 'Mature' rating. In the interviews at E3, the devs stated that they wanted "the whole family" to be able to play. This means that blood, amputated limbs etc will propably be out of question.

And no, that is nothing that I am happy about. But as Royalguard stated: there is very little blood etc in the movies, considering the amount of action. So I guess that's one of the things we'll have to live without.

(and well, what other MMORPGs have blood, chopped off arms and bruised skins? Not any I've played, for sure)
 Sounds Risky
07-04-2002, 2:31 AM
Actually I think amputated limbs are a possibility because Jedi Outcast has them. It would be pretty cool to lose a leg and have to get a metal replacement. Or go to a cloning facility and get a new one.
 setsuko
07-04-2002, 2:39 AM
OCH: Jedi outcast's target audience is teen males. It's an FPS. SWG will have to have a bigger target audience to sell to its full potential. It's all about marketing.

Jedi Outcast was produced by a totally different team. There is no reason at all that one thing would be in SWG just because it was is JO. Different developers, audience and genre.

And didn't you have to use cheat codes to chop off limbs left and right? There were almost no gore at all in Jedi Outcast, if I remember right. I can hardly remeber a single game with the Lucasart tab on it with gore. Hmmm...

Oh! The knife-game in Full Throttle! But other than that, no.
 Vicious
07-04-2002, 11:11 AM
yes a code was required to turn jedi outcast into a dismemberfest but it's really just an enable code. A semi hidden setting.

Anyways the films are full of lost limbs, i think if the makers are going for most possible authenticity dismemberment should be included, at least in lightsaber combat.
 Sounds Risky
07-04-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by setsuko
OCH: Jedi outcast's target audience is teen males. It's an FPS. SWG will have to have a bigger target audience to sell to its full potential. It's all about marketing.

I disagree. You can't really sell a game like this to anyone below their teens, they don't have the income. I really want a metal replacement leg now (not for me, but whoever I play in the game).
 Wraith 8
07-04-2002, 2:42 PM
OCH: no no..... all games are aimed at teenagers.... and teenagers have some control over their fathers and mothers.... they ask them to do all the financial stuf while he playes the game.

this game is aimed at:
14 to old :D

at least that is what i think.
And in the movies i can only remember 2 parts with blood.
2 cut off arms. one from that guy in the mos eisly cantina (forgot his name)

and one with the wampa...
in all other movies no blood is seen... (unless that stuff out of vaders arm was blood.)
 setsuko
07-04-2002, 6:18 PM
Eeeh...OCH, you haven't thought about the fact that, well, if a family buy the game, they can all play on the same account, as long as they don't play at the same time? And if Verant can get 10 000 (<- totally fabricated number, but don't underestimate the 30+ star wars interested parents, there's a lot of them) more units sold with the argument that the whole family can play the game, they'll go for it. For they won't lose 10 000 sold units if they don't include chopped off limbs. Again, pure marketing strategy. Money talks.
 Koffin
07-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Does that mean I cant have a bloody Ewok head tied to the front of my swoop?
 setsuko
07-04-2002, 10:20 PM
No. Ewoks are not people.
 RoyalGuard
07-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Ewoks are cute, and so are protected from any form of dismemberment or degredation in all games.

Equal rights for aliens! All aliens should have the right to be decapitated and have their head used as trophies! End this discrimination against ugly aliens today!

*hands out pamphlets*
 Pantherine
07-05-2002, 2:38 AM
Alright well all I'm hearing is a lot about effects on the body.what I would also like to here from some of you all is the interaction and effects with the surrounding world. for example if you used a blaster and shot the ground would a small cloud of dust appear to soon reveal a little hole or if for instance you were one of the lucky ones to be a jedi and started trying to cut braches off of trees or tried to cut the grass would there be any effect? why dont you all try at some of these.
 setsuko
07-05-2002, 4:51 AM
Oh my, confusing with many people with the same avatar!

Well, environmental damage (which, I guess, it what you mean) is a hard question. If i don't remember totally wrong, there's been hints at temporal environmental damage (blastmarks, small craters etc), but a definate no-no to permanent damage. Other than that, I know very little about it.
 Sounds Risky
07-05-2002, 6:39 AM
Eeeh...OCH, you haven't thought about the fact that, well, if a family buy the game, they can all play on the same account, as long as they don't play at the same time?

You're right, I've never thought about that, because I've never heard of that happening either. I thought "family games" tended to be on consoles, not computers. Oh well, I still want to lose a leg in the game.
 setsuko
07-05-2002, 7:44 AM
Well, it is not so unheard of as you think. Sure, 'family games' are more common on consoles, but that's not the end. I know a lot of families who plays computer games together. Either on small home lan (with the 'old' computer and the 'new' one), or hotseat games (most popular in the families i know is the Heroes of Might and Magic games, and adventure games, where one person plays and the other gives suggestions).

So yes, I have very much heard that happen. Hey, that's how I was introduced to computer gaming in the first place, when I watched my brother try to figure out Civilization, and needed my help.
 RoyalGuard
07-05-2002, 5:54 PM
hmm, my avatar's uniqueness has been challenged! grrr

Welcome to the forum's Pantherine!

There have been family games on the PC for at least a decade... I remember fondly Oil's Well - a great little game from Sierra, which allowed you to compete for a high score with other players...

Equally a lot of console games don't allow for familyness - try finding a good multiplayer game on the PS2 for instance...

I don't think it could be said to distract from the family qualities of the game to have amputations, Starwars has an arm being cut off and it's a U! Also you can have a switch to disable violence in a game - parental control...
 setsuko
07-05-2002, 6:16 PM
My god, yes, Sierra! They made a lot of pearls when it comes to social games last decade. For instance, all the Space Quests could be very fun if you were a couple of people sitting at the computer. Same goes for their other adventure games. Last time I had that experience, hmm... must've been the Discworld games. Those were great fun too.

On this, by now very debated, amputation issue, I must say that I no longer have no idea. I guess I'll have to wait 'til I play the game.

Though I still don't believe it will be in the game!
 Thew Rydur
07-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Well there was amputation in the movies, with Anakin's and Luke's hands. And I don't think Cliegg Lars had any legs. I think that amputation and then mechanical legs/arms would be cool. Can't they put a parental control on that somehow.
 setsuko
07-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Well think of it as this: If they consider being put in jail, or being tortured a "too prolonged punishment", permanent damage would be pretty much worse. And well, when you went back to a clone, the amputated leg would be back, so the whole cloning thing stops it too.
 Sounds Risky
07-06-2002, 5:46 AM
Oooh, I love Space Quest!
 setsuko
07-06-2002, 6:05 AM
I especially liked Space Quest 4. It was one of my first games on a PC. Lots of fun.
 D@rth M@ul
07-08-2002, 12:57 PM
With those americano wussy ratings, you can barely have blood in a game without getting an 'Mature' rating.

And what might your ethnic backround be, chico?
 YourGod
07-10-2002, 6:12 AM
i've been seein all this crap on the forums bout how it's gotta be a "family game" - & honestly, it's pissin the hell out of me...all the parents tryin 2 cencor games out there are jus makin a pathetic attempt because they can't control their own kids, so they need to tell the people who make stuff designed for not just their kids & ruin it for the rest...is there any way we can stop the cencoring? cuz i really wanna blow off a gungan's ear (if they add them) or sumthin like it.:p
 Ewok Hunter
07-24-2002, 4:12 PM
if they had every one showing damage in a battle, with more than a few people there would be massive slowdowns on older computers :(
 D@rth M@ul
07-25-2002, 9:29 PM
I hope the death animations are good.

I want to get sliced in half. :p
Page: 1 of 1