Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars Battleground

Page: 1 of 1
 Garry_M_Gaber
04-21-2001, 3:27 PM
Hello, everyone.

I'm Garry Gaber, the Director of Star Wars Battleground, LucasArts' upcoming real-time strategy game that's expected to release this fall. Since there has been a good deal of discussion (and speculation) about the game these past few months, I wanted to introduce myself and provide a little bit more information to you.

With Star Wars Battleground, the overriding
philosophy of the game design was to develop a dynamic RTS gameplay experience, combined with great art and an immersive and captivating story, that would appeal to Star Wars fans, as well as casual and hardcore
gamers. That's why we are basing the game on PC-based technology created by Ensemble Studios and used in the Age of Empires series. By developing upon that technology, we are better able to deliver an extraordinary RTS experience with features players expect.

While we're not formally unveiling the game until E3, there are a few things I'd like to share with you in the meantime.

* The game is 2-1/2D, with a fixed perspective camera. This allows us to put up to 200 land, sea, air and space units per side on screen at one time, including AT-AT's, Snowspeeders, X-wings, AT-STs, Jedi,
Stormtroopers and Faamba Walking Shield Generators, and still have them
look recognizable and cool.

* Star Wars Battleground has many cool gameplay elements, including
air combat, underwater combat, shields, power.

* There are campaigns which encompass the Star Wars saga, revolving around characters like Chewbacca, Leia, and Darth Vader.

We realize that many of you have been clamoring for more information since we announced the game last February. A lot more
details will be coming very soon, including a cover feature in the June issue of PC Gamer (available in mid-May). I'm also excited to tell you that LucasArts will be revealing some news shortly about a new Star Wars Battleground community site.

Thank you for your continuing support of Star Wars Battleground. And, as always, may the Force be with you.

Garry Gaber
 Boba Rhett
04-21-2001, 3:44 PM
Hey Garry. Thanks for all the information. It got me really excited about Battleground.

------------------

I calculated the odds that this would work versus the odds that I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.
 Pedro The Hutt
04-21-2001, 4:32 PM
I'm not so sure Boba, there have been more people who claimed to be working at LEC or lucasfilm. I want to see solid evidence that he's a real LEC person. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif)
But Gary, if you're really a LEC director, sorry for my suspicion.

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 Garindan
04-22-2001, 12:38 PM
i believe him. THANKYOUSOMUCHFORBRINGINGANOTHERSTRATEGYGAMETOPCFO RME!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so, how will the player earn money, etc. to build stuff? By mining spice? using Sandcrawlers? Slave labor? Mixing duracrete? I played age of empires a few times, and i thought it was fun. I'm pretty sure this will be fun.

So, what buildings can we expect? Will the maps look like the ones in Rogue Squadron?
 paulbarnard
04-22-2001, 3:22 PM
I read the preview of it in SW: Gamer, sounds cool.

Gary, you plan on dropping us a line here everyonce and while and showing us why LEC is the best software company out there?
 Chiles4
04-23-2001, 1:41 PM
Thanks for the info, Garry. Like Paul said, feel free to drop in anytime and lay some more info on us. Sounds exciting!
-------------------
Anyone have any idea what he means by 2-1/2D - is that 3D with a fixed perspective?

[This message has been edited by Chiles4 (edited April 23, 2001).]
 Garindan
04-23-2001, 7:31 PM
yes. 3d with overhead perspective. like age of empires (haven't played the demo?)
 ESE_Sithlord
06-21-2001, 6:54 AM
Can ya name the some of the missions and stuff for the game?
 LiquidSilicon
06-29-2001, 10:45 AM
Hey Garry,
i`m really looking forward for this game and i hope this is the game Force Commander should have been and AoK could have been.

Question about the scenario editor:
Will it be possible to rename placed figures in order to create real new campaigns or scenarios? Maybe even having the chance of slightly changing/adapting their parameters? This is something which i really missed in AoK.
Page: 1 of 1