Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Newbie - Attacking multiple targets question

Page: 1 of 1
 Chiles4
05-17-2000, 7:34 PM
Currently in Desert Training 3

When all my units are selected and are moving to a waypoint and they encounter an enemy, can you select a group of enemies to attack? Seems to me you can only select one at a time, thus one of the reasons for breaking your force into multiple groups (assign each group a target).

I've never bought an RTS game before because the graphics were always 2D (read lame). I'm quite impressed with the 3D graphics in FC. I'm running at 1024 res. and am doing fine so far (no real combat encountered though). After a few minutes of trying to use the keyboard to manipulate the camera I completely gave up and went with a scroll wheel mouse and am doing fine with it.

It may be early for me to say but I think the criticism against this game is way overblown - people complaining about the "techno" music mix and the raunchy mission display font. Man, these people need to get a life. I'm sure I'll have more to say when I get deeper into the game.
 Ol$cratch
05-18-2000, 6:16 PM
I thought ther should be a way to box in a group of enemies to target, but there is'nt, so for now you either have to just setr your troops to beligerent, or break them into groups and assign seperate targets.
As for the rest, i think the interface is great, the music is awesome(Even if John Williams does'nt approve, that song was written 25 years ago). One thing though, try and learn to use those keyboard camera controls, you are going to need them, there are any times when you need to be manipulating the camera and doing things with the mouse at the same time.
 Chiles4
05-18-2000, 8:46 PM
As you said, that's kinda strange that they don't give you a better way to group targets. It sounds like you need to be in belligerent mode when involved in all out combat - you wouldn't have time to individually specify each target, right?

I find your point about the keyboard to be a serious drag. I've pretty much mastered the camera with the mouse. With the keyboard, man, it's like the view thru the ****pit of a plane with its wings ripped off - totally out of control. But I'm sure you're right - I can't be dinking with the "mouse camera" when I need to be doing other things.

I keep playing this game and liking it more and more. The most intelligent-sounding review I've found on FC is at http://www.strategy-gaming.com/reviews/force_commander/index.shtml).
But they consider the 3D aspect of FC to be a big weakness. Heck, if FC was just another 3/4 top-down view, 2D graphics, RTS game I never would have bought it!
I am digging this game!
 Chiles4
05-18-2000, 8:48 PM
Oops. Leave off the period on the URL I mentioned above. You'll have to cut and paste.
 taxretrurn
05-19-2000, 7:09 AM
Well, I'm slogging my way through the final level at the minute and I agree that Force Commander is not such a bad game as some people believe. Having said that, my heart dropped when I first started playing it and saw how much effort had been put into making the game look pretty - almost always a sure sign that gameplay has been neglected. My fears were not completely dispelled when I began to get into it more. The interface is just too fiddly to use and the AI leaves a lot to be desired. Even though I have enjoyed playing the game, my favourite RTS game is still Tiberian Sun, especially multiplayer.

I HATE what they've done to the music! I play the gaem with it turned firmly OFF.

------------------
"Life. Don't talk to me about life." (Marvin the paranoid android).
Page: 1 of 1