Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Editing FoCom,, it might perhaps be possible...

Page: 1 of 1
 Pedro The Hutt
02-17-2001, 8:47 PM
While skimming through a bunch of magazines, I bumped into an interview with a bunch of LEC-people, and there I read that the FoCom runs on an updated MotS engine...
so if someone could upgrade JED to FoCom's needs...

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 Kurgan
02-17-2001, 9:19 PM
So it uses the Sith engine? Whoa! A revelation indeed...

Can you cite your source? I figured the liscense agreement would still be an obstacle in the editing process.

Kurgan
 Pedro The Hutt
02-17-2001, 9:40 PM
PC-Zone (UK), it was an interview with those guys who left LEC and then started that company that made Vampire: The Masquarede. Their last job at LEC was making the FoCom engine, and they said that it was an upgraded MotS-engine. Do I need to scan and mail the interview for you?

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 paulbarnard
02-18-2001, 3:07 PM
I still don't think it would be a good idea just from mission design. Most people lack the strategic nuances to do it effectively. I see the missions as being way to easy or you have to break out TheGalaxyIsYours cheat to accomplish.
 Pedro The Hutt
02-18-2001, 8:01 PM
But we could still make new multi-player maps. Or new units. Besides, the editor doesn't exist at the moment. (and perhaps, it might never appear)

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 Kurgan
02-19-2001, 12:00 AM
Do I need to scan and mail the interview for you?

That would be nice. Just email it to me (kurgan@obi-wankenobi.net).

Hey, if you can edit it, go ahead, but I thought the whole deal was that we were forbidden to by the LEC liscense agreement, and that was why nobody had attempted it...

Otherwise, great idea.

Kurgan
 Garindan
02-24-2001, 8:20 PM
I haven't played force commander in so long that i'm going to play it now. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)
 Garindan
02-24-2001, 11:00 PM
there's nothing like going in and beating a level when you've not played the game in months. I'm at Sarapin 2 right now. Man that's hard!!! I found a great strategy that doesn't require cheating. Use those Dewbacks in GREAT numbers, they can see further than the rebel heavy trooper (i think), and they can fire anti-infantry weapons! woohooo!!!! My fav unit in the whole game, even though I've just earned the tie fighter unit. The at-at should be awesome though, well if it's backed up by thosands of those ataas! I wonder what level comes next (no spoilers please).
 Garindan
02-24-2001, 11:02 PM
hey paul, at least there's a skirmish option. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif) the single player isn't TOO bad. it explained to me how those troopers came looking for r2d2.
 paulbarnard
02-25-2001, 1:51 AM
skirmish mode is just like combat simulator of XWA, give you the game controls, but lacks in every other way.
 Garindan
02-28-2001, 7:59 PM
i agree, they should give more options, like setting up a prebuilt base for you to attack. at least rebellion you can edit almost everything.
 paulbarnard
03-01-2001, 2:33 AM
Yeah, but even then the objectives in Rebellion are always the same.

It's just not the same. FoCom has specific objectives that need to be accomplished (sometimes in order). I don't think any kid (no offense guys) will be able to do that.
 Garindan
03-01-2001, 7:10 PM
rebellion sorta reminds me of monopoly, always the same mission. The thing i like about force commander is the graphics, music, camera (i thought it was awesome to zoom in on a stormtrooper), the skirmish, and i also like the storyline. There's nothing that i don't like about it. well, maybe that it needs alot of stuff to be able to run decent on my cpu, and some of the levels have a time limit (the oil drill level has a time limit, it's almost too hard, but i'm sure i can make it).

Which levels did you get stuck on? I'm on Sarapin 2, i like that neat thing that leads up to the oil drill, it gave me an idea for the level i'm making. I thought they did good with the command point setup.

the thing i HATE about rebellion is that they scrap stuff when you don't have enough maintenance points, and you can't choose what you want to scrap. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif)

------------------
For the Empire!-Moff Kioet Csuhen

FM/LT Kioet Csuhen/Theta 2-3/Wing II/SSSD Sovereign
 brashin99451
07-19-2001, 5:07 AM
rebellion and FC are my favorite RTSs (the first C&C is there too, the other C&Cs were fun).if someone could get LEC to realize how much money they would make of of editors instead of abandoning all their classics for new games then maybe we could get somewhere.
 Tie Guy
07-19-2001, 1:46 PM
I don't think think that they would make THAT much money off an editor.

Anyways, you get the impression that the guys over at LEC don't like to talk about FoCom all that much.

What i hated about FoCom is that hte controls where impossible to use in some situations, and took way to long to move. You had to worry more about getting the right angle than about getting the right troops. The skirmish mode was also really bad. It seemed like before i could blink they had a couple AT-AT's coming at me. It didn't give you a chance to explore the units and possiblities, which skirmish is made for.

What i hated about Rebellion was that it was really hard to keep track of everything. You had to hand over all your stuff to 3PO, who weould waste your money by building like crazy at every opening. And there were just too many windows.
 brashin99451
07-19-2001, 7:37 PM
they could make thousands since there isn't a real force commander community and if there were mods a lot of people would buy it. i got FC a while ago and i doubt ill play it for very much longer since there isn't anything left to do with it.

in fc i guess every one forgot about that right mouse button. if you just use that it isn't hard to look around at all. i hate the skirmish since the enemy just throws a force at you in the beginning and you have to spend all of your points and crush the enemy in the beginning or else you won't win. the secondary weapon isn't useful since you can only tell one unit to use theirs at a time and the ai never uses it (only in a few of the missions).

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: brashin99451 ]
Page: 1 of 1