Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sith Emergence (working title)

Page: 1 of 2
 aazell
03-15-2002, 4:37 AM
I got this error when I had too many light sources on one surface. I tried to put a load of spot lights pointing on the floor and ended up getting this error. The way out of this is to cover some of the floor area with a very thin layer of clip. That way it breaks up the surfaces a little.

Should work...
 SunBurN
06-28-2002, 10:09 AM
This map based on the rumored final battle in Episode 3 where Obi Wan and Anakin fight above a lava pit on a volcanic planet and ultimately, anakin falls into the lava and completes his journey towards the dark side when he emerges...and Vader is born! I know, kinda dramatic, but it sounds like the stage for a fun duel/ffa map and I have a few cool ideas for special effects.

I've already layed out the basic design of the map, lava beds, etc, and inserted lava, the only problem is, it doesn't glow, move or have the consistency of fluid, in other words, it's a solid shader and hard as a rock! The first thing I need help with is getting the lava made and somewhat realistic looking. Any helpful thoughts or suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SunBurN
 Grets Sirob
06-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Sounds great:thumbsup:!
I can't help you with your problems right now, but I can offer my support.

:sithm: You will die, painfully.
 Master Shawn
06-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Hmm, perhaps take one of the water shaders and apply a lava texture to it. I dont know about the glow though, try finding other light emmitting shaders and see what makes them glow.
 SunBurN
06-28-2002, 1:39 PM
Hey grets, any support you could lend would be great, and master shawn, I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks :)
 SunBurN
06-28-2002, 2:09 PM
This is from another thread from VIO

"i thought i answeared this hmm stupid forums, well supposally this is a lava shader already made select your lava brush and hit s then for texture type imp_mine/lava
it didn't work good for me so i made my own by making a new shader by changing the textures of the SLIME texture"

I tried the above solution and it worked! but I think the texture looks too small? I think I need to stretch to fit or something like that?
 Master Shawn
06-28-2002, 8:34 PM
well, id make a square, not too big, and fit the shader/texture on to it, then fit it, then select the faces of the brush one at a time and left click the face you fitted to realign the other sides, if its still to small, just resize the brush and continue the steps until you like its size.
 SunBurN
06-29-2002, 5:20 AM
Yes that is pretty much what I did, although I only did the top...and since you are looking down to the lava, that's pretty much all you need to do. So now with that working, I am now trying to make it look as natural as possible. I should have some screenshots ready to put up here soon, but the only problem is, I don't have anywhere to upload them to so I can link them. Any ideas? thanks,

SunBurN
 Wes Marrakesh
06-29-2002, 6:05 AM
Need help or beta-tesing?
I can prob help you..
very good idea and i hope it comes out good
 SunBurN
06-29-2002, 6:16 AM
Not quite ready for beta testing, definitely still in the Alpha stage :) But when I am, I let everyone know and I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!
 SunBurN
07-01-2002, 9:40 AM
Ok, this is just an update, I have most of the basic layout of the map done, complete with moving lava, lava falls, rock islands in the middle of the lava, and a few bridges. Still left to add in: Thermal vents, throne room, catwalks, special effects, and design additions. As far as testing goes, I can add in like 8 bots and the tris rate stays in the 3000 - 5000 range depending where I am and fps between 60 - 90 fps.

I'm trying not to make any of the mistakes I made in my last map that caused it to take a hit in FPS on slower machines. Anyway, so far it's looking good and its pretty fun. I don't have a place to post screenies or I'd have them up already. If anyone can help me with that I'll have them up soon!

Thanks,

SunBurN
 SunBurN
07-01-2002, 1:39 PM
Ok, question..does anyone know how to set the speed for the lava flow (movement)? My lava flowing vertically (down) is slow compared to the rest of the horizontal lava flow. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
 SunBurN
07-02-2002, 4:30 AM
I found a model of Jedi Starfighter on http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/starwars/alliancecraft.html)

and I was wondering how you convert either a 3ds or max4 model to a .md3?

They also have a Sith Infiltrator that I would also like to use:

http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/starwars/imperialcraft.html)

If anyone knows how to convert these or has done so already, please let me know.

Thanks

:)
 SunBurN
07-02-2002, 9:23 PM
Here is a link to view Screenshots:http://www.jedioutcastmaps.com/file.php?id=355)

and here is a link to my other (first) map Hoth Jedi Academy:

http://www.jedioutcastmaps.com/file.php?id=291)
 SunBurN
07-02-2002, 9:36 PM
Let me know what you think or if you're interested in beta'ing it. Thanks.
 Grets Sirob
07-03-2002, 3:52 AM
Sweeeeet:thumbsup:!
Can't wait to play it.
Sorry, can't beta it, got my hands all tied up.

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.
 keo718
07-03-2002, 6:17 AM
I am willing to beta test your map If need be.
 SunBurN
07-03-2002, 6:28 AM
Thanks!

I have a few things that I want to fix before I release it for beta, and that shouldn't be too long from now.
 keo718
07-03-2002, 6:58 AM
Cool. Let me know when your ready.
 SunBurN
07-03-2002, 9:32 AM
Will do!
 SunBurN
07-06-2002, 3:51 AM
Ok, I have a question. I haven't used fx_runners before and there are a few I'm planning on putting in for special effects. Question is, in anyone's experience here, how much do they affect fps, r_speeds etc?

Also, I'm ready to send out a trial beta version to a few ppl. If you're interested, please leave your email addy and I'll send you the .bsp. If for some reason your email has a size limit, then my icq # is 1134211 and over icq, you can send or receive files of any size. You can get icq from download.com or icq.com.

What I'd like to know is:

What you think of the general size of the map?
How it runs (lag, choppieness/ or not).
Overall layout.
fun factor.

I've tested it with a P3 800 256mb Ram and Gforce 1 32mb DDR and it ran very smooth with very decent fps and r_speeds with 6 - 8 bots, in addition to the developing machine of Athalon 1.5ghz, 256mb DDR and Gforce 2 64mb DDR which it ran flawlessly.

I'll be checking in here off and on during the weekend (today thru Sunday).

Thanks,

SunBurN
 keo718
07-06-2002, 5:54 AM
Hey, I sent you a message on Icq, Im just waiting for you to respond with the file.
 keo718
07-06-2002, 6:31 AM
My Icq is 164135417 when your ready.
 free_lancer3018
07-06-2002, 7:24 AM
i will beta test ur map i have tested 2 maps since jkii came out and now i got 2 questions where can i get a program tht builds maps and last one where did u find out how anakin became darth vader
i will beta test if u have AIM try me onthere since i will probably be online if not try icq below is my ica and AIM

AIM=XzavierSleete try this first plz

ICQ=158038866
 Wes Marrakesh
07-06-2002, 8:19 AM
beta tester here!
 SunBurN
07-06-2002, 8:28 AM
Ok, I just got back in so I'll send them off now. I just want to check the .bsp one more time before I do. Make sure you have auto receive set when I authorize you on icq.
 keo718
07-06-2002, 11:26 AM
Ok. I've played the map and explored it. The following are my comments.

- What you think of the general size of the map?

The size of the map is excellent for dueling. I'd say the space is sufficient for a free for all, but only if your playing "sabers only".

- How it runs (lag, choppieness/ or not).

It runs perfectly on my system.

|AMD 2000+ 1.7 ghz, GeForce TI 4400 128MB DDR Ram, 512 DDR Ram, Soundblaster Live 5.1|

- Overall layout. 9/10

The overall layout is well done. The air jets are well placed, theres alot of space to move around, perfect for lightsaber battles. Very nice looking map.

fun factor. (w/out bot support) 6/10 (w/ bot support) 9/10

Well, despite the bot jumping around like an idiot, I must say I still had fun. This will be a great map when bot supports added.

Other comments.

I noticed two glitches while I played that map.

1. When I put 17 bots there at once, there was a slight error. You know how when you meet the kill limit in free for all it goes to the scores? Well after I died it went to the scores, then I respawned for a moment then it went to the scores, then I respawned for a moment then it went to the scores, you get the idea. This kept happening until I quit and restarted.

2. Also, everytime I fell into the lava, for some odd reason my guy would end up on the floor. Like I would fall in the lava, and then it would show my guy dying over the ground.

Suggestions

1. I know your not finished but, BOT support and Music.
2. You might wan't to add an atmosphere(thick clouds), as opposed to the starry sky. It would definitely add a dark feel to the map.
3. Also if you could add maybe a sound of the lavas flow, and perhaps a smoke blur effect coming from the lava that would be sick.

All in all, I enjoyed the map. Thanks for letting me test it.
 SunBurN
07-06-2002, 1:05 PM
Thank for your review.

In answer to your observations:

"everytime I fell into the lava, for some odd reason my guy would end up on the floor. Like I would fall in the lava, and then it would show my guy dying over the ground."

I only have the lava on the surface currently and I've changed the trigger that kills you immediately to a much lower number so you have to die more slowly. The lava's built in trigger is much faster than I wanted, that's why it's only very thin and doesn't go all the way to the bottom..thus you don't float to the bottom. Since in the movie Anakin supposedly crawls out of the lava, I wanted players to have the ability to escape. Not sure how that's going to turn out and I may just go back to putting the lava completely to the bottom and then you will "float" down you your death.

"The size of the map is excellent for dueling. I'd say the space is sufficient for a free for all, but only if your playing "sabers only". "

You've confirmed my worst fears :) and since I want this to be a ffa map as well as possibly a CTF map in the future...I may have to increase the size.

"1. I know your not finished but, BOT support and Music.
2. You might wan't to add an atmosphere(thick clouds), as opposed to the starry sky. It would definitely add a dark feel to the map.
3. Also if you could add maybe a sound of the lavas flow, and perhaps a smoke blur effect coming from the lava that would be sick."

I am looking for sounds for lava and possibly for music (but I don't want this file (.pk3) to be too big, so I might not have music) and I was just using the star sky for testing...I plan on using a few Fx_runners of meteors coming down out of a smokey colored fog (although I'm worried about fps with fog) and also steam rising out of the vents. So I've got a ways to go, but it's coming along and I'll probably end up making the area a little bigger.

"1. When I put 17 bots there at once, there was a slight error. You know how when you meet the kill limit in free for all it goes to the scores? Well after I died it went to the scores, then I respawned for a moment then it went to the scores, then I respawned for a moment then it went to the scores, you get the idea. This kept happening until I quit and restarted. "

I'm not sure what to do about that (I didn't even know that was a problem" but I'll see if I can figure it out.

Now here is a question I'm wrestling with, should I keep the terrain as natural as possible, or add some man made stuff like actual structures, metal(or rock) catwalks and elevators. I also think there is going to be some kind of throne room on this planet (from a painting by Ralph McQuarrie when he was making art for lucas, although now it's dissappeared completely, I can't find it anywhere), and I'm not sure where to put it,or if I should. I've tried, but it just didn't fit in very well or look very good.

Thats about it, thanks for your suggestions, for testing it and for your review. I'll contact you again when I need to have it tested again.

btw, for some fun in case you knew this or not, there is a double Bladed saber built into the game. Its more of an easter egg if anything...anyways, in console (hit shift+~) (Host a multiplayer game and in console type devmapall [name of map] IE: devmapall ffa_bespin) Now you are hosting a map with cheats turned on. Now with your lightsaber drawn, BUT NOT INGNITED, pull down the console again and type: /thedestroyer and you'll have a double light saber!
 Grets Sirob
07-07-2002, 2:29 AM
(I knew about the double-saber, but whatever...)

For music, deffinitly have it, but you could use the music that comes with the game, that way you don't have to include it.
I'm doing that for my map.

I say you should at least add some catwalks. For more dueling/ffa area...

Maybe some elevators, but you could probably make some rock stairs or something.
I'm not sure if you should add any buildings, but if you maybe incorperated something into the rock wall, that would give you more room, and a place to put the throne or something.

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.
 volrathxp
07-07-2002, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by SunBurN
I found a model of Jedi Starfighter on http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/starwars/alliancecraft.html)

and I was wondering how you convert either a 3ds or max4 model to a .md3?

They also have a Sith Infiltrator that I would also like to use:

http://www.theforce.net/scifi3d/starwars/imperialcraft.html)

If anyone knows how to convert these or has done so already, please let me know.

Thanks

:)

i'll take a look at the jedi starfighter.... maybe if i delete some segments for compatibility it can work.

hmm..
 SunBurN
07-07-2002, 4:09 AM
Thanks grets, I'll probably add music then....but I don't think stairs would be good...right now this map has a somewhat natural look to it, stairs would definitely take away from that. The thermal vents (air jets/jumps) are sufficient to get you up (and more fun too) so I think in order to put in catwalks where they'll look somewhat natural, I'll have to enlargen the map. And when I make the throne room, I may put in a real elevator(inside) to get you to the top which is where I was thinking of have the landing pad for the ships.

Volrathxp, if you could get that Jedi starfighter to convert that would be sweet and would work perfectly in my map! Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments, and I'll get back to work on this.

Now I have a question:

I've tried putting a dark fog brush along the edge of the top of the map, but it just makes the place look too enclosed and isn't really the effect I was going for. Does anyone know how to make cloud like fog? I was thinking of making circular brushes and making them fog, but I don't think it will look that great. If anyone knows a better way, I'm completely open to suggestions. Thanks,

SunBurN:)
 keo718
07-07-2002, 4:18 AM
-| Now here is a question I'm wrestling with, should I keep the terrain as natural as possible, or add some man made stuff like actual structures, metal(or rock) catwalks and elevators. |-

I would say keep it natural. Man made structures probably wouldn't fit.

Asked for the double bladed saber, theres a mod called Jedi Moves where you can simply link the console command to a key on the keyboard to access the db sabers. In my opinion, it makes it too easy though. I have to figure out how to get bots to weild db sabers.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-07-2002, 4:30 AM
I think i know what you are talking about, sunburn. I have a concept art picture of a lava throne room in From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The best if the LucasFilm Archives If i can figure out how to get you the (small) picture i will
 SunBurN
07-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Cool Wes, that would be great if you could find it! I think that will be the only structure I will use in this map.

The double sabers were for another map I was thinking of making (see my other thread) and if no one else makes it, then I will maybe after this one.

knocking down a wall now to make it bigger!
 volrathxp
07-07-2002, 12:15 PM
ugh i'm having trouble with this starfighter. apparently whomever made it decided they'd put a pilot in it. :p

i'll take a look at it tomorrow see if i can get it...
 Jango_Fett91
07-07-2002, 12:24 PM
*Yawn*:o
 Wes Marrakesh
07-07-2002, 11:52 PM
well the picture is bigger than i thought, but then there is the problem of getting it to you, cause i have no idea how to use scanner if it even works...:(
 Wes Marrakesh
07-08-2002, 9:39 AM
I got the pic, SunBurn, I'll send it to you. It's actually pretty simple...
 inbredyokel
07-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Definitely go with the concept art, if I recall correctly the picture Wes is talking about looked very surreal and dramatic. It would be quite cool if you included it.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-08-2002, 11:42 AM
hmmm.... where did you see it? the pic is just of a cave, with lava, lotta 'mites, platforms, and a hunk of rock with a huge grey throne. some decoration, the emp in grey, vader, and luke in a flight suit.... want to see the pic 2? :lol:
 SunBurN
07-08-2002, 9:14 PM
Thanks for getting the pic Wes, and yes I do, it would really help to see it again. You can send it to: myownweatheredprison@hotmail.com

Ok, I think from all of your feedback, I'm definitely going to leave this map with a natural feel to it and IF i do put in anything mechanical, it will be somewhat hidden, but still easy to access.

That sucks about them putting in the pilot, maybe I could have a rock sitting somehow over the cockpit, like it was force thrown on there thus obscuring the view of the offending "pilot"! :)
 free_lancer3018
07-09-2002, 5:09 AM
this would be a kool sp map if u could put obi wan and anakin skins in but i think its awesome is this map going to be duel or ffa
 Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 5:10 AM
i think he said it was duel but it might make a good saber only ffa, too, especially with another room and a knocked-down wall:)
 SunBurN
07-09-2002, 9:42 AM
Sorry Wes, The wrong name put down I did! Dazed and Confused I was! :D

Thanks for the picture!! That's exactly the one I was thinking of! I'm going to do my best to recreate it! Although I may have to make a custom texture for the cave walls.

I did knock down a wall and I'm glad I did, it gave me some cool new ideas for layout which I think everyone will really like! I worked on it pretty much all day at work ( I was setting up an OS and stuff for one of our users so I had free time while stuff was installing) so I got pretty far. Going to work on it some more now. Thanks again Wes for the pic!

SunBurN

Btw, the map at this point is Duel/FFA and I think it with it's new size it will work as a CTF later on.

:D
 Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 10:06 AM
hey np
 volrathxp
07-09-2002, 11:20 AM
the oddest ****in thing happened... i got an email telling me there were replies to this post. lol.. .that's never happened before here.

maybe i can delete the pilot. he's not connected to the ship in any way. it's grouped out nicely it's just determining the different groups and the skins that apply to those groups.

hmm

try that tomorrow...
 SunBurN
07-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Yeah I've gotten those email before, but usually only if it's a response from a PM :)

That would be very cool if you could figure that out Volrathxp!!

Hey Wes, I see what happened, I was responding to mulitple ppl in my post, I just didn't indicate that I was responding to volrathxp, and I got confused and put you instead. :) Probably didn't need to, but I went back and edited the posts.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Alright, that's ok.
I had signed up for email notification when people reply in threads i have replied in, and it only worked yesterday! :lol:
 SunBurN
07-10-2002, 3:34 AM
Is it possible to make curved brushes w or w/o endcaps detail brushes??
 Wes Marrakesh
07-10-2002, 3:45 AM
i don't think so... even when i make them detail they are still structural
Page: 1 of 2