Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Exciting! And a request...

Page: 1 of 1
 WinterJedi
03-17-2000, 3:28 PM
This game is going to be so cool.

Who are going to play Imperial? I am! Not just for the AT-AT's, but for the stormtroopers as well. I'm excited about this!

By the way, I'll have to buy a good 3D accelerator(cheap too http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif) ). Any recomendations?
 Nute Gunray
03-17-2000, 6:12 PM
I for sure am an Imperial! I have an Imperial clan started.

As for the 3d accel., I dont have a clue. Sorry http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif)

------------------
Still no real sig.
 TarlSS
03-17-2000, 6:58 PM
I'm going to be doing both...I like the strongarm tactics of the Imperials, just as well the sneaky quick units of the Rebels.

------------------
Big dcks go Quack Quack
 Corran
03-18-2000, 3:50 PM
Since everyone picked Imperials on the polls everywhere, I think I will have to be the Rebels. I like being the underdog....... sometimes. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)
If you want a good 3D card, get a GeForce. You can always go with a Voodoo. I have the original TNT and it works just fine with my games.

[This message has been edited by Corran (edited March 18, 2000).]
 Clonemenace
03-18-2000, 7:02 PM
I'll go with Rebels too since they always seem to be picked last. I think I'll also join a rebel clan if anyone once to join one with me. Only about two days left till I get it too. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)
 WetWilly
03-20-2000, 5:14 AM
The imperial units are primarily single function while rebel units all have secondary weapons. Imperial units are "cheaper" than rebel units in terms of command points which dictate how many units are available to a player at any given time. The game is well balanced and you can have teams of rebel and imperial vs. rebel and imperial or in any 4 way combination in multiplayer and skirmish modes.
Stay away from Voodoo 2's(they are cheap and pretty available) for this game. You will encounter some graphic corruption and slowed gameplay. Voodoo 3's and TNT's are pretty good.
 Fuel
03-21-2000, 7:23 PM
You kiddin' me? Imperial all the way! Its about time Lucas Arts makes a game that you can play as the Empire, other than Tie Fighter and XWA that is.
 Argath
03-21-2000, 7:55 PM
Where did you hear that a Voodoo2 will cause graphics corruption in Force Commander?
 Old Ben Kenobi
03-22-2000, 2:47 AM
ARGATH-

I can confirm firsthand that this game does not operate well with a VooDoo2. I own one, and the text inside menus on the game go haywire; the words turn to barcode-like symbols, and gameplay runs smooth, then suddenly gets choppy off and on. Good thing my base card is good enough to run it, although at a low resolution...I can't wait for my new Pentium III and 64 MB GeForce DDR to come...Dell says 3-5 weeks because of the components I've selected. I'm pretty sure it'll be worth the wait = ) .

------------------
kultx@home.com
Old Ben Kenobi

"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

[This message has been edited by Old Ben Kenobi (edited March 21, 2000).]
 ObiWan
03-23-2000, 1:26 AM
Actually FC runs fine with a Voodoo2. The only problem I have is the swapping that goes on due to the fact that I only have 64MB Ram, but that will soon change.
 Argath
03-23-2000, 5:28 PM
I'd still like to know where it says Force Commander does not run correctly with a Voodoo2. Lucasarts lists the Voodoo2 on their supported hardware list, so I doubt it has any serious, unfixable compatibility problems.

If anyone has any links, official or unofficial, that document this problem, I'd be appreciative.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited March 23, 2000).]
 ObiWan
03-23-2000, 9:16 PM
FYI.

Direct from the FC box. Supported 3D chips include:
3dfx Voodoo Banshee
3dfx Voodoo2
3dfx Voodoo3
NVIDIA Riva TnT/TnT2
NVIDIA Riva 128
NVIDIA GeForce 256
Matrox G200
Matrox G400
ATI Rage 128
S3 Savage 4
S3 Savage 2000
3Dlabs Permedia 3

As for any official documentation of problems with the Voodoo 2, which I havent seen, I would imagin the advice would be to *suprise* install the latest drivers http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)
 Argath
03-23-2000, 10:27 PM
Yeah, Lucasarts has the same list posted on their website. I'm just wondering where WetWilly heard that Voodoo2 cards don't work correctly with the game.
 sheared
03-24-2000, 2:34 AM
From LucasArts' web site:

Why Does The Text Show Up As Solid Boxes?

If you have a video card that uses the Voodoo II or Voodoo 3 chipset, or a Matrox G200 or G400, text will sometimes display as solid blocks when you select multiple units.

3dfx Voodoo II or Voodoo 3 Cards
At the time of release of the game, the DirectX 7 drivers for these cards have graphical problems in the game. When you select multiple units, the text and certain console items will display as solid blocks. When you deselect the units, they will display correctly. We recommend that you check the 3dfx website for updated drivers which may correct these problems.

Matrox G200 or G400
When using a card with these chipsets with the Matrox driver version 5.30, you may experience the following issues:

The arrows in game menus may be missing.
The game may occasionally lockup or crash to the desktop when certain features in the Matrox Powerdesk are enabled.
When you select multiple units, the text and some console items will display as solid blocks. When you deselect the units, they will display correctly.
These issues are corrected by updating to driver version 5.41, which is available on the Matrox website.
When using either of these drivers with the game resolution set to 800x600, you may see a square of corruption that sticks to the cursor. This will continue after exiting game until the computer is rebooted or the desktop resolution is changed.
 Argath
03-24-2000, 11:01 AM
Thanks. 3dfx will most likely fix this problem in their next driver update, so there's really no reason to stay away from Voodoo2 or Voodoo3 cards.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited March 24, 2000).]
 sheared
03-24-2000, 2:07 PM
The problem with that is that the Voodoo2 updates are few and far between. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.
 Argath
03-24-2000, 2:48 PM
True, but the fact that this problem also affects Voodoo3 cards may give 3dfx the incentive to fix the problem and get a driver update posted.
 sheared
03-24-2000, 4:49 PM
But doesn't the Voodoo3 use a different driver? They'll probably fix that one, but leave the V2 people hanging until the janitor gets around to writing a driver.

The V2 is definitely getting phased out (quickly). It's understandable considering how much distance is between the top of the line video card and the V2, but it SUCKS for those of us with slower systems and the V2.
 Argath
03-24-2000, 6:13 PM
3dfx has always released both Voodoo2 and Voodoo3 drivers at the same time, so I'd assume they'd do the same for Force Commander compliant drivers. The Voodoo2 may no longer be a top of the line card, but I seriously doubt 3dfx would alienate the millions of people who own the card by only fixing the Voodoo3 drivers. Hopefully, 3dfx will release something soon.
 sheared
03-24-2000, 9:18 PM
I certainly hope so.

If you've checked out www.3dfxgamers.com) (http://www.3dfxgamers.com) recently, the news isn't very good. The few messages I've left in the voodoo2 boards haven't received any responses, and the message threads in the voodoo3 boards have only a few official 3dfx employees responding. The one problem is that they are saying that it's a problem they're not aware of! It's been brought up too that it looks more like a LucasArts problem.

I guess we'll have to go through the customary he said/she said senario before someone fesses up and fixes the darn problem!
 PalpaNert
03-29-2000, 7:34 PM
I have the Voodoo Banshee ( 16 meg) and the only thing I notice is that the it is the cutscenes are a little choppy.
AMD400
128 MB RAM (PC100)
course I haven't updated my drivers yet...
 PalpaNert
03-30-2000, 6:09 AM
OK, for those of you who don't know where to get drivers. ( I know you're out there but are afraid to ask) Go to WWW.WINDRIVERS.COM) (http://WWW.WINDRIVERS.COM) and go look em up. There that's all the help ya get =)
 PalpaNert
03-31-2000, 2:18 AM
ok, i just updated my drivers for my banshee and man, the durn game likes to lock. :::grumbles:::: Think i'll install my old drivers, They worked better.

------------------
Thanks,
PalpaNert
 ynot01
04-01-2000, 5:07 PM
I have a Voodoo 3 card and the only problem I have is the text thing. The problem only occurs when you have one or more units selected. If you dont have any units selected, the text works fine. This is especially helpful when you hit the escape button.
 Corvidian
04-02-2000, 1:59 AM
Actually, regarding the Voodoo2, Banshee, etc...You might want to install some older drivers that are dx6 compliant. (They won't support the full DX7 featureset, but they work with FoCom.)
Page: 1 of 1