Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Real Star Wars

Page: 1 of 1
 crazy_dog
09-02-2001, 4:10 PM
Ok, this is a thread about Star Wars in the real universe, people. How it could happen in real life. Aliens, robots vihicles, war tech and other (gas mining hydrogen on Jupiter to fuel fusion power stations/reactors, hydroponic farming on the desert world of Mars that could be used as Tatooine) should be discussed here.

To save some of the discussion, there are so far 47 detected solar systems. Boy is it going to be boring typing out all thear names :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Also maybe we could create artificial aliens with genetic engineering better suited to Mars or Europa which might be colonolised in the future. Like a "Martian" might have loads of fur/hair like a grizzly bear or something, a bushbaby's huge eyes (the sun is almost 1/2 as bright as it is on this planet) and thick skin to protect it from radiaton.

Anyway, post ye olde, I mean post your posts about this here.
 crazy_dog
09-02-2001, 4:11 PM
I almost forgot Faster Than Light drives.
 observer_20000
09-02-2001, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by crazy_dog
I almost forgot Faster Than Light drives.

Among many others:
Artificial gravity
Multi gigatoannge weapons
Planet Destroying enery beams
Reactors that are as powerful as a small star
etc, etc, etc.
 Darth_Rommel
09-02-2001, 4:57 PM
Space platforms! j/k ;)
 Gamma732
09-02-2001, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Rommel
Space platforms! j/k ;)

Uhm...We're actually kinda close to that. ;) We had Mir. We have one up there now...I don't know what the name is though.
 Sherack Nhar
09-02-2001, 7:09 PM
I think it's just "International Space Station".

How would you explain lightsabers in the real universe :D
 Admiral Odin
09-02-2001, 7:39 PM
plasma guns (they are being developed.

the space station is named "International Space station" no more no less

Colonize the moon.

Cold Fusion,

and space fighters.
 Darth_Rommel
09-02-2001, 7:45 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see space fighters...
 Master Yoda
09-02-2001, 8:39 PM
I like they name StarFighters better than Space Fighters. I dont think you could explain Lightsabers even if you wanted to.
 Tie Guy
09-02-2001, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
How would you explain lightsabers in the real universe :D

I read a thing once about how lightsabers could be made. You could use a magnetic field to to harness energy inside of it. Allthough it would not be as powerfull as a real lightsaber, it technically would still be one.

Also, i think that the world could get there evenetually. Only one problem, we aren't even sure if there is other life in the universe. If there isn't, you can all see how that would screw things up.
 crazy_dog
09-03-2001, 3:53 AM
Maybe, instead of wreking a planet, you could fire carbon dioxide missiles at it to create a massive global warming effect :D .Or you could use a laser to heat up the atmosphere 'till the planet gets so hot it will turn into a lump of lava and (nearly) everyone will die. THE END!

Carry on posting, guys!!!!!!
 observer_20000
09-03-2001, 5:54 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Odin
plasma guns (they are being developed.

the space station is named "International Space station" no more no less

Colonize the moon.

Cold Fusion,

and space fighters.

Plasma guns that are caplable of several terajoules per second?

Colonize the moon, a lot easier said then done.

Cold Fusion still won't generate as much power a samll star in a reactor that is 140 cm in diameter.

Space Fighters that need to use expensive rockets each time they take off (unless they're built in space.)
 crazy_dog
09-03-2001, 6:30 AM
"The Skeptic" directed by observer2000, starring observer200 as himself... :D

Only kidding, man.

Anyway, has anyone ever yet been to Quisar. You know, that thing with the not very powerful laser guns and stuff. To make a laser gun, you only have to make Quisaer lasers more powerful.

Also, like I said before, to get a working, self-sustainning colony(s) on Mars, we might need to create hybrids between walrusses, grizzly bears and bushbabys.Walrusses for the blubber and grizzlies for the fur (it's VERY cold. Even in the summer it usaully doesn't get over 17 degress) and bushbabies for the eye's(it's only 1/2 as bright). Artificial aliens!!!!!!!! :D
 Admiral Odin
09-04-2001, 8:16 AM
Originally posted by observer_20000

Plasma guns that are caplable of several terajoules per second?

Colonize the moon, a lot easier said then done.

Cold Fusion still won't generate as much power a samll star in a reactor that is 140 cm in diameter.

Space Fighters that need to use expensive rockets each time they take off (unless they're built in space.)

Fusion is the best source of energy and no harmful side effects, cold fusion doesn't need vast amounts of heat.

(I said space fighters, because they fly in space not atmosphere)

Plasma guns are being developed by the US military, I don't know to much about it, just that they are working on it.
 observer_20000
09-04-2001, 8:36 AM

Fusion is the best source of energy and no harmful side effects, cold fusion doesn't need vast amounts of heat.

(I said space fighters, because they fly in space not atmosphere)

Plasma guns are being developed by the US military, I don't know to much about it, just that they are working on it.

No, cold fusion is the best source of energy known to us, In Star Wars they use something called hypermatter, not much is known about it however.
 crazy_dog
09-04-2001, 10:53 AM
Anyone know how a faster-than-light drive would work?

I read in a magazine how it COULd work. Check out www.sciam.com) (http://www.sciam.com) for more info.
 crazy_dog
09-04-2001, 11:05 AM
Hang on, it isn't there :( .

WARNING, TECHNICAL INFORMATION AHEAD:

Anyway, it's all about bending space itself around the spaceship. You contarct the space in front of the ship, and expand at it's rear end :D . Passengers will experiance no accelaration whatsoever.
 Havoc Stryphe
09-04-2001, 11:49 AM
Actually Faster than Light space travel is theoretically possible by another means as well. First off, you must realize that to travel faster than light, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, you must be in energy form. Matter can not breech the speed of light. However, that being said, you could envelop the matter in a "bubble" or "pocket" of energy and excell that "pocket" of energy faster than light and the matter within that energy would be transported as well. The problem with this is the extreme amounts of energy needed to produce the "pocket" of energy and sustain it, in addition to propelling it at faster than light speed. And secondly, you would have to accelerate and decelerate over long periods of time/distance or everything onboard the object would fall victim of inertia and be flattened into goo by extreme G-forces or be hurled at the speed of light tangentially at the time of stopping (See Space Balls Dark Helmet on Bridge of Space Ball 1 for illustration of this one!)

By the way, Bending of space is NOT faster-than-light space travel. It simply makes the distance travelled by the object shorter. You would still travel at conventional normal acceptable rates of speed for matter. This form of travel would need very dense matter in large amounts to form a gravity well, or one could discover the highly controversial "graviton" and design a device that could project these little particles in large quantities to form a gravity well large enough to emulate a black hole, which in theory would cause a "bending" in space bringing point B physically closer to point A.

Lightsabers are not possible at this point by Star Wars definition. However, we can slow light down. Just recently in a large university lab under federal gov. grant support, scientist have found a medium in which light passing through will emerge at a slower rate. so, maybe down the road, we could cause light to start/stop at are leisure or command.

And from another thread: ION cannons are not lasers! ION cannons fire a blast or "pocket" of ionized matter. This much we can do here on Earth. This blast of IONs WILL play with electronics and power supplys alike. We can already ionize electronic systems here on Earth. That Star Wars technology is already available to us at an immense price both financially and energy supply wise.

Thank you for your time.... :D
 Admiral Odin
09-04-2001, 1:05 PM

No, cold fusion is the best source of energy known to us, In Star Wars they use something called hypermatter, not much is known about it however.

Cold Fusion is fusion. The difference is how the Hydrogen atoms combine.

With Fusion, "H" atoms combine at extermly high temperatures, (I think it is called thermonuclear, not sure)

That is why when a Fusion bomb in detonated a fision bomb is also detonated first (and hence the radiation form a fusion bomb).

The Fision bomb creats an area hot enough to let Hydrogen atoms combine to form.

Cold Fusion, is an attempt to get "H" atoms to combine when they are near absolute zero. (this would be the most pratical way to use fusion as an energy source)

For a nuclear equation this is what it would look like.

..H + H ---> He + Q (heat energy)

dots are for the right spacing.
 observer_20000
09-04-2001, 1:39 PM

With Fusion, "H" atoms combine at extermly high temperatures, (I think it is called thermonuclear, not sure)

That is why when a Fusion bomb in detonated a fision bomb is also detonated first (and hence the radiation form a fusion bomb).

The Fision bomb creats an area hot enough to let Hydrogen atoms combine to form.

Cold Fusion, is an attempt to get "H" atoms to combine when they are near absolute zero. (this would be the most pratical way to use fusion as an energy source)

Look, I don't know what kind of an education you have, I'm just a teen going to grade 10, so I'm not going to argue about the specifics of how Cold Fusion work's, since frankly, I don't know how it works.

How big of a generator would Cold fusion need to be as powerful as a small star?

It is described in one of the SW tech books, that an ISD generator is as powerful as a small star, in a generator that is 140 cm in diameter.
 Lord JayVizIon
09-04-2001, 1:47 PM

as a fellow man of science, i AM VERY PROUD of you :cool: . very rite, a fission bomb (which is separation of particles) happens before a fusion bomb. whenever you combine particles or molecules to form a bigger compound, energy needs to be supplied and if i remember my chemistry correctly they call that process endothermic, which is why you have that Q symbol on the product side...
 Tie Guy
09-04-2001, 2:27 PM

Not too be real picky, but on that chart you said that "Hydrogen + Hydrogen produces Helium." i'm only in 10th grade, buti know that not right. It doies make H2, which is the natural state of hydrogen. Your right about everything else though, but that wouldn't be enough to power something faster than light for very long.

Anyways, NASA is working on some "speed of light" projects involve radition gathering from the sun. But remeber, SW hyperdrives go around 50 million times the speed of light, alot faster than is capable right now.

And about lightsabers, all they are is energy contained inside a magnetic field. Now, if we could focus energy inside a simliar magnetic field, it would conceptually be possible, allthough not at the moment, in the future it could definately happen. But then you have to wonder, what good would a lightsaber be without the force? It would be like a guy with a normal sword verse a guy with a colt 45. (Look at Indiana Jones for an illustration!)
 crazy_dog
09-04-2001, 2:31 PM
WOW, Havoc and Odin, I thought me and JayVIzion ovewr there are the only two in this forum interrested in this so called "science" *looks at Einstien's photo on his desk*. THIS IS AMAZING, MAN. Carry on posting, people.
 crazy_dog
09-04-2001, 2:35 PM
Hey, maybe in the future we can make mutants with powers similar to the Force. Mutate them with certain fish and they can detect people behind your back and hiding behind walls, or mutate them with electric eels and you might get "Force Lightening"... spooky.
 Lord JayVizIon
09-04-2001, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy

Not too be real picky, but on that chart you said that "Hydrogen + Hydrogen produces Helium." i'm only in 10th grade, buti know that not right. It doies make H2, which is the natural state of hydrogen. Your right about everything else though, but that wouldn't be enough to power something faster than light for very long.

Anyways, NASA is working on some "speed of light" projects involve radition gathering from the sun. But remeber, SW hyperdrives go around 50 million times the speed of light, alot faster than is capable right now.

And about lightsabers, all they are is energy contained inside a magnetic field. Now, if we could focus energy inside a simliar magnetic field, it would conceptually be possible, allthough not at the moment, in the future it could definately happen. But then you have to wonder, what good would a lightsaber be without the force? It would be like a guy with a normal sword verse a guy with a colt 45. (Look at Indiana Jones for an illustration!)

Helium has a mass number of 4 (number of protons + neutrons) and an atomic number of 2 (no. of protons). a stable hydrogen atom has mass no. of 1 and atomic no. of 1 (meaning that hydrogen has no neutrons). however, deuterium (where hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 neutron) has an atomic no. of 1 and mass no. of 2. if you add two deuteriums (which are unstable forms of hydrogen ---> unstable molecules are very reactive) you will get helium.

about the light saber thing, i'm talking about force, not the Force in SW lure, but the force that opposes the movement of a certain body. the force on energy is perpendicular to the force of the magnetic field (someone correct me on this if i'm wrong), but that's why you have the lightsaber concept, imagine magnetic coils around the lightsaber and the force of Energy on it as the direction of the saber itself. i'd have to look at the equation relating energy and magnets.
 Havoc Stryphe
09-04-2001, 2:53 PM
I hope that I have established some creedance with you my fellow science posters,as to the knowledge I have in my previous post.

I admit that Cold Fusion is not my expertise, but I was under the impression that the reason Cold fusion is so coveted is because it would automatically decrease the size of the reactor. Let me explain. The problem with Fusion is also it's greatest asset: ENERGY. In the case of the problem with Fusion is IMMENSE amount of energy in the form of HEAT. Hence the very large cooling towers you see at Nuclear Power plants. These towers use circulating water to absorb the heat from the reasction then the towers let the heat energy escape from the water as steam.

Cold Fusion allows for the fusion reaction to take place with better efficeincy, therefor there would be less energy lost in the form of heat and therefor eliminating the need for large cooling towers.

So Cold Fusion, due to better efficeincy, would produce more USABLE energy in a MUCH smaller reactor space due to the lack of neccessity of cooling apparatti.

For an IDEA not FACTUAL REPRESENTATION of the rough size acheivable for a Cold Fusion reactor wath the Movie THE SAINT with Val Kilmer. Again, that is just a possible portrayl.

Again...thank you for your time.
 Tie Guy
09-04-2001, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon
Helium has a mass number of 4 (number of protons + neutrons) and an atomic number of 2 (no. of protons). a stable hydrogen atom has mass no. of 1 and atomic no. of 1 (meaning that hydrogen has no neutrons). however, deuterium (where hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 neutron) has an atomic no. of 1 and mass no. of 2. if you add two deuteriums (which are unstable forms of hydrogen ---> unstable molecules are very reactive) you will get helium.

Well, you stumped me there. I didn't know that Hydrogen had an isootpe. I guess you learn something new everyday. Anyways, if you were writing that out though, H wouldn't be the correct symbol, as that doesn't imply the isotope, but the "normal" hydrogen. Anyways, writing H-1 or something would cause less confusion, as if fusion wasn't confusing enough already. :D

Anyways, about the saber, i get what you mean about the "force," and that would most likely make the saber almost impossible to control. That, and that the beam would weigh litterally nothing, and cause you not to have a "feel" for the blade. However, i was talking about the SW "Force." What good would a saber be if you couldn't use the force to black bullets and blasters? Its only use would be to cut stuff, and that would be a very expensive power-tool. :D
 Booya2020
09-04-2001, 3:39 PM
Ahhhh fusion, the stuff that stars are made of. Hopefully science can pull it off so we don't have to deal with any nasty radioactive waste! Soon were gonna run out of mountains to bury the crud under! What then?
 Admiral Odin
09-04-2001, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Well, you stumped me there. I didn't know that Hydrogen had an isootpe. I guess you learn something new everyday. Anyways, if you were writing that out though, H wouldn't be the correct symbol, as that doesn't imply the isotope, but the "normal" hydrogen. Anyways, writing H-1 or something would cause less confusion, as if fusion wasn't confusing enough already. :D

I would have used H-1, but I was taught that equation placing the mass number above the atomic number. You should learn that and other equations in physics (my favorite science)

How big of a generator would Cold fusion need to be as powerful as a small star?

I don't know, to this date Cold Fusion has yet to work. However Fusion is what is done within a star so it produces a great amount of power (which has been said already). The size that would be needed to produce enough energy like a small star is unknown. All I can tell you it has the potential to be small, and have that kind fo power.

The other thing is SW is fictional, Cold fusion isn't so you must weigh them accordingly. with SW they can invent technologies that might never happen. So taking that into account the power source of a SD would most likely be similar to Fusion, or Cold Fusion.
 Havoc Stryphe
09-04-2001, 7:19 PM
Is it just me, or are my posts invisible, or are they just being ignored!? :(

;)

In my previous post, I stated they would be much smaller, due to the lack of necessity for cooling apparatti (ie cooling towers, and thermo regulators equipment) And then pointed to the movie THE SAINT starring Val Kilmer. In the Movie they give an example of what a cold fusion reactor's size could be. (This is just a thereotical example since cold fusion has not been achieved yet!)

Just an example based on theoretical physics, that might help give an idea (I don't know what kind of "theoretical" power output the reactor in the movie had though!)
Page: 1 of 1