Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

English as a second-language...

Page: 1 of 1
 RoyalGuard
06-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Just a quick survey, I'm not really that considerate to people who don't have english as their native language, so in the spirit of international co-operation, I'm asking the following questions:

Are my posts easy or hard to understand?

If they're difficult to understand, what could I do to help you out?
 Wraith 8
06-13-2002, 12:10 PM
heheh.

well my first language is Dutch.
my second is indeed English
my third is wookiee :D just kidding

I learned my english of cartoons i watched. not in school :D

GI-JOE
Teenage Mutant (hero or ninja) Turtles
He-man

but also TV shows:
A-team
Dukes of Hazard
Magnum PI
Airwolf

All those TV shows helped me with my english. and since i joined the Lucasforums.. my typing english has improved :D (if i dont type to fast :D).. the only problem is... that i know a lot of words in english.. that i dont know how to write... so i always try to change my sentence so it doesnt look stupid :D

So believe me when i say, i understand every word you say :D

-Wraith 8-
 RoyalGuard
06-13-2002, 12:16 PM
every word? even anti-disestablishmentarianism? :D
 Wraith 8
06-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RoyalGuard
every word? even anti-disestablishmentarianism? :D :eek:

ok... uhm.... let me try :D

Anti = against
disestablishment = not an establishment :D ??
tarianism = sounds like a terible desease :D

edit... wait wait wait... you are not allowed to make an establishment on any terain??? :p
 RoyalGuard
06-13-2002, 12:22 PM
close enough, though the -tarianism indicates a political philosophy more than a disease :)

Hm, on second thoughts, you absolutely right :D
 setsuko
06-13-2002, 2:15 PM
Well, considering the amount of people with english as their secondary (or even tertiary) language, there are few posters who are 'unreadable'. After all, my experience tells me that when you come across someone who has a terrible, TERRIBLE english, it's an american :D! But seriously, you are all doing nice. And RoyalGuard, how do you mean that your posts would be hard to understand?

I have english as my secondary language. And well, french, chinese and danish comes as shared tertiary languages. Knowing many languages rock! And I learnt almost all english outside school, like so many europeans. Here, you start english at school at age 11, and by then, the blissful world of TV, comics and games has taught you all you need to know.

(och, and knowing norwegian doesn't really count as a tertiary language, since that's more like a weird swedish dialect. And you know it, Jan! It's weird! An abomination! Sounds like you are all taking prozac for breakfast! :))
 Wraith 8
06-14-2002, 4:26 AM
Originally posted by setsuko
(och, and knowing norwegian doesn't really count as a tertiary language, since that's more like a weird swedish dialect. And you know it, Jan! It's weird! An abomination! Sounds like you are all taking prozac for breakfast! :)) hahahahahahahhaha that is funny hahahahahah
 RoyalGuard
06-14-2002, 10:03 AM
Great, I'll keep posting as normal
 Wraith 8
06-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Great, I'll keep posting as normal sorry ?? i didnt understand this post.....

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Gotcha

hehehehhe
-Wraith 8-
 RoyalGuard
06-14-2002, 10:22 AM
where'd that lynching mob go? :D
 talldudeX
06-25-2002, 3:43 AM
Hmm ya I lost sight...oh wait I see one. "Hey, over here!" Oh crap, look what I did...*gets hanged*

Oh and for the record Royal Guard, I wouldn't know you weren't english if you hadn't said so.:)
 Jan Gaarni
06-25-2002, 4:58 AM
(och, and knowing norwegian doesn't really count as a tertiary language, since that's more like a weird swedish dialect. And you know it, Jan! It's weird! An abomination! Sounds like you are all taking prozac for breakfast! )
This is disturbing.

I'm being slandered and arn't even aware of it. :D

OY, norvegian ain't any swedish dialect, toots. ;)
It's more like danish then swedish .... without the potato stuck in the throat. :D
 setsuko
06-25-2002, 5:22 AM
At least I agree on the potato theory. My next door neighbour is from Denmark, and I hardly understand a word of it!
 RoyalGuard
06-25-2002, 5:23 AM
Phew, for a moment there I thought that my thread had sparked-off the great Scandanavian war of '02...

detente is a wonderful thing...
 setsuko
06-25-2002, 5:29 AM
Nah, us scandinavians have had our hundreds of years of fighting each other. Nowadays, we do it in more civil ways. Like "who has the cheapest beer", 'Finnkampen' and the winter olympics. So now Denmark, Finland and Norway can get back at us, since we suck at all those things! And well, all things considered, I'm not sure those things really are "more civil ways"! :D

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot the most cruel and prestigious competition of them all: the Eurovision Song Contest. *brrrrr*
 Jan Gaarni
06-25-2002, 5:38 AM
Yeah, war has ended long time ago between the scandinavian contries, we have swithed to more civil ways.
Now we just make up jokes about each other. :D

Like:
"How do you get a one armed swede down from a flag pole?"
"Just wave to him" :wavey:

or

"In the newspaper today I read about a one engined Sessna crashed in a cemetary this morning in Stockholm, Sweden.
So far the death toll has reached 143." :D

Sorry. j/k :p
 RoyalGuard
06-25-2002, 5:41 AM
The Eurovision song contest? Prestigious? That's the first I've heard of it, I always thought of it as a running joke... :D
 setsuko
06-25-2002, 6:19 AM
RoyalGuard: it is!:D

"Did you hear about the norwegian who broke his neck while drinking?
Yes, he got caught in the toilet ring."

The funny thing is that there are a specific kind of swedish humour, the Bellman jokes, where the swedish national poet/composer Carl Michael Bellman is the most gross/dumb compared to two other persons, most often a german and a norwegian. So I guess us swedes are just as fair game as the norwegians over here.
 Koffin
06-26-2002, 10:49 AM
Just a quick survey, I'm not really that considerate to people who don't have english as their native language, so in the spirit of international co-operation, I'm asking the following questions:

Are my posts easy or hard to understand?

If they're difficult to understand, what could I do to help you out?

Solly est Te'Yonovee?

Ei sallustee ce gorenee, tao skulmonee.
 RoyalGuard
06-26-2002, 8:28 PM
Tibah ee Te'Yonovee.
Uukchat mel geronee. Nia tap tap chal skulmonee.

Ipchik tol vin Uranus?
Page: 1 of 1