Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Return of Mara Jade

Page: 11 of 12
 Toonces
12-14-2002, 3:06 PM
I only made two LOD's for Kit Fisto so I know it's not that last part.

I'm not quite sure if this is it, but LOD0 is the default high poly version. The game supports 4 LOD's starting with

LOD0=3k high poly version (head)
LOD1=2k polys (head_1)
LOD2=1k polys (head_2)
LOD3=500 polys (head_3)

I use those poly numbers just as an example, but I'm sure you know what I mean :)

That might not be it at all, but I figured I'd put my 2c in it
 Edward Peretti
12-14-2002, 5:12 PM
Hey Toonces, when you LOD your characters, do you include everything. So all the caps and tags? If so I think this is where I'm going wrong.

btw, would anybody be interested in making a shader for her shiney bits? I've already done the alpha maping. I could send the player model if you need it.
 Toonces
12-14-2002, 5:17 PM
Yeah, you gotta have all the caps and tags for each lod (a bit of a pain, I know)

Do you still have my e-mail addy? If you wanna send her over I could do it quick, I might be able to write up a shader without the model maby, let me see
 Archonon
12-14-2002, 9:10 PM
One last comment on the hairdo possibilities. If there are going to be 2 default versions of Mara, one with long hair and another with ponytail, then keep that also in their respective ctfs. I mean have a ponytail red and blue and a hair down ctf red and blue if you have the time to write the extra skin files.

Then you can have both ponytail and hair down versions of blonde and black hair with red highlights Mara, which would be awesome imo.

As for the name differences you can have both Maras in the same folder if you wish, just make one model_default.skin with its ctfs and the second something like model_default_ponytail.skin or some variation like that, also the same with the selection icons, and both will be selectable defaults. The same also applies to the ctf versions of the second default skin, have something like icon_blue_ponytail.jpg and model_blue_ponytail.skin. I've seen plenty of models which have 2 defaults done this way, namely the Obi and Gui-Gon models based on Tyrion and they work perfectly.
 Edward Peretti
12-14-2002, 10:32 PM
check your mail toonces :)

Archonon: yep I already decided that be the best way.

Run into a whole new heap of problems with the surfs :\ off to bed now, YAAAWWN!
 DarkLord_44
12-14-2002, 11:09 PM
Have a good sleep and nice work : )
 El Sitherino
12-14-2002, 11:12 PM
nice job ed ive been watching this models progress and it is great. look forward to playing with it.

: off topic but could someone send me all the things i need to get my model in game the skeleton and whatever else i need ive read the tutorials but when i do that stuff the skeleton just doesnt show up:
 Edward Peretti
12-15-2002, 12:24 PM
Akkkk! For some reason, mara_ponytail works happely as a player model, but loses her texture as a bot?!?

To face facts she isn't going to be finished until a while :(

Watch this space. I'll carry on with the updates.
 El Sitherino
12-15-2002, 1:09 PM
man that sucks but well hey im sure we can wait.
 Toonces
12-15-2002, 1:33 PM
hmm, that's strange indeed Ed, I haven't experence anything simmilar in all of the model's I've setup.

On a related note, that link you send me was dead so I haven't been able to take a look at the textures. I have a shiny/reflective shader just about written up for you, as soon as I finish Qui-Gon I'll finish it up and send it over to you. You'll have to edit the paths and what not
 Edward Peretti
12-15-2002, 2:45 PM
Thanks Toonces. I may have miss typed the link so I'll send it again.

I've fixed the bot/texture problem. I don't think there are anymore bugs (god I hope not!) So now I'm gonna proceed with one more attempt at the LODs.
 Mex
12-15-2002, 2:48 PM
Ed, nice avatar!
[kisses screen] joking! :D
 Mest
12-15-2002, 6:37 PM
glad you fixed the problem. i was getting worried there for a minute.
 Darth Vader III
12-16-2002, 12:18 AM
As much as I can see of that picture... the model is gonna rock, when you get rid of the bugs, Ed. Good work...;)
 Pnut_Man
12-16-2002, 7:19 AM
Off Topic: Most disturbing thing happened last night during a role playing game in jk2.. Since we had finished up the basic plot for the night...we proceeded with a gang rape scene O_o...
Quote from my friend, "I can never be a female model without you people raping me!" Twas funny yet tremendously disturbing and confusing..

On Topic: Very happy that the problem was solved. Just have to wait for the LODS...
 kenad
12-16-2002, 1:14 PM
Does anyone else see an easy transformation of the head into Ysanne Isard?

Sure, someone (looks at Ed :D) would have to make her uniform, but the hair (and eyes) could be changed easily, and they look similar...
 Mistress_Angel
12-16-2002, 7:48 PM
So, whats the new ETA?
 Edward Peretti
12-16-2002, 9:01 PM
After 3 obsesive hours trying to get these goddam LODs to work, I've finaly decided to give up!

She is a heavy poly girl, which is why I wanted to include them. Though she runs nicely with my geforce 2, so I'll leave it at that.

2:00am ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!
 Tyler_Durden
12-17-2002, 12:44 AM
hey that's cool, sometimes there are things that are just out of our control and that's it, there's nothing we can do about it. But look, your model is already the BEST one ever made for this game and EVERYBODy appreciates all the hard work you put into it. Looking forward to release.:D
 Klorel
12-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Thats cool and all, but it won't be for the many fans who would like to use this model in a internet game, cause frankly a high poly model without LOD's will bog down most systems. My advice is that once you've released the model, find someone with the skills to make the LODs work for you, that way you won't have to worry about it anymore, and it will get done, so everyone will be happy. This is a great model, it would be a shame for something as trivial but annoying as LODs to make it imperfect... cause otherwise its perfect.

-Klorel
 Mistress_Angel
12-17-2002, 3:36 AM
Edward I want to thank you for all the work you put into this model. As a female gamer I will be happy to finally have a good model to use.
 _NinjaGaiden_
12-17-2002, 4:11 AM
DAMN! that model is awesome...... shes kinda hot looking ........ now if she only really existed :)
 AJL
12-17-2002, 4:56 AM
Yep she looks very good... but so does many other
models too when not ingame... :rolleyes:

So how much does JK2 lighting affect to it ?
 Edward Peretti
12-17-2002, 5:07 AM
Vertex lighting does spoil her a little. Which is why I added more polys to the face. But She looks really nice as jan's role in single player. I'll see about posting some screens when I get home.

Thinking of what Klorel said, I'm gonna have another attempt at problem solving my LOD troubles.
 Mistress_Angel
12-17-2002, 5:41 AM
Well whatever direction you choose I hope it works out. I've been watching this thread since post #2.... can't wait for it to be released.
 Tzar Sectus
12-17-2002, 8:28 AM
Originally posted by Edward Peretti
Vertex lighting does spoil her a little. Which is why I added more polys to the face. But She looks really nice as jan's role in single player. I'll see about posting some screens when I get home.
When you take those screens, I recommend trying to set r_overBrightBits to 0 (you'll have to do a vid_restart for it to take effect), this deactivates the overkill brightness effect on the textures ingame (which looks rather nice on walls and such, but it blurs the model skins too much). I personally think disabling this makes models look a thousand times better ingame.

-Remi
 Edward Peretti
12-17-2002, 7:06 PM
I got LOD1 to work, finaly devising a method for the other 2. Now all I gotta do is test it in-game. Either way this all works for me now. No time for screenies at the moment, but thanks for the tip Tzar Sectus, I'll try that out some time.

later.
 EmperorJello
12-17-2002, 7:54 PM
A Question, if I may.

Will the CTF versions have modified torso and leg skins like someone earlier requested, or will they be re-colors?

If possible, I would advocate making modified skins for the Imperial Red and Rebel Blue CTF versions.

If this is not possible, or convenient--then a re-color or whatnot would easily suffice.

Thanks.
 Mistress_Angel
12-18-2002, 1:11 AM
I got LOD1 to work, finaly devising a method for the other 2. Now all I gotta do is test it in-game. Either way this all works for me now. No time for screenies at the moment, but thanks for the tip Tzar Sectus, I'll try that out some time.

later.

Great :p
 Mistress_Angel
12-21-2002, 7:10 PM
I hope things are continuing to work out Edward....
 El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 12:59 AM
im glad to hear the good news ed cant wait she just looks so good. nice work.:)
 Edward Peretti
12-22-2002, 9:20 AM
Hi all,

The one last problem I have is the filesize. It's about 6 to 7 meg!! Most files are about 1 to 2 meg.
This is mainly due to the 4 "1024x1024" tga files included in the pack. If no uploading site will support it, I'll have to cut down the resolution by half, bearing in mind each texture represents the whole model, so you wouldn't be getting the most out of the texture at higher resolutions.

I'll finish testing and then see what happens.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-22-2002, 9:53 AM
Peretti u got MSN? If you do mine is
mikestoughton@hotmail.com add me and i will see what i can do from there... That si if u want me to.

Hellfire
 t3rr0r
12-22-2002, 10:33 AM
Hi all,

The one last problem I have is the filesize. It's about 6 to 7 meg!! Most files are about 1 to 2 meg.
This is mainly due to the 4 "1024x1024" tga files included in the pack. If no uploading site will support it, I'll have to cut down the resolution by half, bearing in mind each texture represents the whole model, so you wouldn't be getting the most out of the texture at higher resolutions.

are you using shaders that require transparencies (alpha channels) on all 4 of those .tga files? if you some aren't transparent you should turn them into .jpg's.
 Garik Loran
12-22-2002, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

I can host it on my site, the filesize is no problem. We just have to find a way to get it from your computer to mine.
So if you want me to host it just send me an e-mail and I'll tell you my icq number or give you an ftp accout, so you can upload it.
As soon as I get it I can upload it.
 garak88
12-22-2002, 11:19 AM
I don't think it would be much of a problem, JediKnightII.net has hosted some pretty large model files in the past. The Kit Fisto model, for instance, was over 10 megs and they hosted it...
 DaAdmiral
12-22-2002, 11:25 AM
Not sure if this was covered earlier in the thread, but are there any plans to release flesh or wireframe base plates for skinners to make skins off of?
 Edward Peretti
12-22-2002, 2:11 PM
yep, I've put in template skin files.

Good point garak88 , I'll try JKii.net. Though I'll probably have to send it via my work email on monday. If they announce it, she should be released tomorrow!

Garik Loran: cheers. If all else fails with JKII.net I'll take up that offer of yours :)

So tonight I'll just test and prepare her for the release.
 DarkLord_44
12-22-2002, 2:16 PM
hehe can't wait :)
 Mex
12-22-2002, 2:16 PM
You are releasing her tonight or tomorrow?

[Faints]
Someone call me a medic!
 El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by Flanders

Someone call me a medic! ok you're a medic.
 Lord_Swany
12-22-2002, 3:30 PM
funny Insane Sith...incredible model. All these great models being released at once, it's feels like Christmas!
 El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 3:52 PM
well 3 days and it will be... IM SO HAPPY I COULD.... better not finish that sentence heh.(i have lowered my mind to the gutter:( )
 t3rr0r
12-22-2002, 3:57 PM
you skipped over my question, ed... do all your texture maps have to be .tga's? if not, convert those ones into .jpgs.
 Edward Peretti
12-22-2002, 4:23 PM
sorry t3rr0r, I forgot to mention. They all use alphas. The only jpg is the ponytail hair.
 t3rr0r
12-22-2002, 5:44 PM
sorry t3rr0r, I forgot to mention. They all use alphas. The only jpg is the ponytail hair.
alrighty... sorry if i sounded a little harsh in my last post. :sweat:
 EmperorJello
12-23-2002, 3:56 AM
Release...tomorrow....filesize...only...seven megs...me have...broadband...vacation...no more wait... yay.

*ahem*

Please excuse this less than eloquent post. It is an error on my part, and has been redressed. The shock of this model's imminent release after all these months has stressed my circuits... er... that is to say... never mind.

Move along, move along. Nothing to see here.
 Darth Vader III
12-23-2002, 4:41 AM
I don't know this stuff very well (uploading and sites and so on) but I have seen "submit file" possibilities at www.jediknightii.net) and www.jediknight2files.com). Just pointing these out 'cos I've downloaded files over 20 mb from there...

Sorry if I didn't get the point...

BTW: Just in case if I won't be here tomorrow: "Merry Christmas!";)
 Tzar Sectus
12-23-2002, 6:22 AM
Wheee, can't wait until it's released. This will be the best christmas present ever.

-Remi
 Edward Peretti
12-23-2002, 9:37 AM
[edit] ftp's working now :confused:

Ahh, the spirit of Christmas is on my side :D
Page: 11 of 12