Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

hardest setting

Page: 1 of 1
 Ready Wan
06-09-2002, 2:04 PM
Has anyone been able to beat the computer on Hardest setting?
if so, with which civ, which map, what settings?

the computer is in tech 3 before I even make it out of tech 1....seems impossible.

I can beat 2 computer opponents teamed up on Hard mode...that's not so difficult.

anyone?
 Fishflesh
06-09-2002, 2:42 PM
But i can't even beat a computer on hard
 Ready Wan
06-10-2002, 3:31 AM
So no one has been able to beat the computer on hardest setting?
has anyone even tried?
 DashRendar
06-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Well I've heard of a few accounts pre-CC, but not since then. Although that might just be because not many people celebrate about games anymore....

O and maybe you should just play the Yavin IV map and wall yourself in until you get a good force up.
 Kryllith
06-10-2002, 12:55 PM
I've beaten 7 computer opponents (at 1 time) on Hard and 1 computer opponent on Hardest. I've not even tried fighting 2 computers opponents at once on Hardest, since it pretty much cheats at the beginning. If you survive long enough to get to Tech IV then you might stand a chance. I've not tried it in the CC though...

Kryllith
 boullrc
06-10-2002, 4:31 PM
:) ... it defenitely is a challenge to beat the comp on hardest
personally, the most ive been able to beat is three on one, there way, when i try four on one... lets just say its not pretty

the one thing that i started doing to try and counter the comp's speed is to start with collecting lots of carbon, even more than food, even though this puts me back from tech 2 by about three or four minutes... what does it matter if you will be dead in 30?

with all the carbon you will be collecting you have to find the openings to your town quickly, and put up about ten to fifteen walls thick worth of light walls... i know they appeat worthless, but that may be why you can build them, what happens is that the computer tries to destroy every part of every wall before entering your town and that will buy you a little time to try and match their military.

the only problem is that right behind those walls when you hit tech 2 you are going to have to put up some defense, i usualy go with about ten turrets with a trooper in each... this hurts now because before CC you could build light turrets a lot cheaper than medium and then just upgrade them, and now you cant. also, shield generators are vital and i go with about 100 workers and five troop centers so i can keep sending out troopers(they cost relatively nothing) to keep the comp busy.

other than that you have to get your air force up and running by the 30 minute mark, because believe me they will come with cannons, artillery, and air cruisers... so the best civs to try with are probably just the ones you are familair with that have good troops and air.

in this game jedi become pretty useless(unless you like using the pause button, which just slows you down for internet games because it becomes a "crutch") and also mechs that only cost carbon and food(strike mechs and mech destryers) can come in handy to help fortify your base.

soon after you think you are fotified on the ground i would suggest AA turrets, because if you try AA units, its going to be hard to have enough pop left to mount an attack. and they will come with aircraft, and usually they like air cruisers and bombers, which can be devistating if you dont have a lot of anti-air.

when i beat it three on one is used the republic, quick producing troopers and decent fighters, also their fortress bonus helps out because you can throw one of those behind some turrets and put about 20 repeater troopers in there... then you can just watch what ever ground units they send get destroyed... 13 range with that fortress is insane.

oh yeah, one moer thing... i played it on forest, so hope you can find some nerfs or banthas and that you only have 2, 3 openings max, or else your in trouble... and remember they will start attacking at about the 5 minute mark, maybe sooner, so dont go total econ. to start with like you would normally.
 Kryllith
06-10-2002, 5:14 PM
When I went one on one in hardest I hit the computer hard... with my scout. The longer you can delay the computer the better, and by delay I mean delay it from attacking your base. I had it chasing me all around the outer edge of it's base in order to keep it from hitting mine.

Mapwise, forest is good, as is rivers. I.E., any place that allows you to channel forces to minimize the onslaught (which can be unrelenting). Rivers can be especially good if there is only one area of shallows to wall/gate/turret off (even in this case though, the computer is liable to have artillery on it unbelievably fast, hence the scout distraction)

Kryllith
 Sithmaster_821
06-10-2002, 8:56 PM
The computer on hardest is hard i only beat it like 1/10 of the time. If you can last until t4 the comp stands no chance cause thats when human intelligence levels out with the computer starting benefit (they start with huge amounts more of resources than you). Also invest in air and troops as soon as possible.
 simwiz2
06-11-2002, 2:11 AM
I have a game right nowwhere I am beating the comp on hardest, we are both in T4, Republic (me) vs Rebels. I usually don't bother with hardest because the AI bonus is insane, but I am trying it once to see if I actually could beat it. It is really not that hard, once you get walls you can use jedi to destroy AI cannon and let them kamikazee their army into a fully garrisoned fortress :) I had to hurry through T1 and 2, but in T3 I was able to get knights to kill AI cannons, and Fighters to kill Air Cruisers, and there really wasnt much the AI could do except try to bring down my shielded fortress with repeater troopers. This is on a flats map, high resources, with CC.
 Ready Wan
06-11-2002, 3:26 AM
thanks for all the info!

I'm trying on standard settings, 3 player map, standard resources. walling off is the key to beating the hard setting.
if I could make it to tech lvl 3 on Hardest, I think I could survive...
 Crazy_dog no.3
06-11-2002, 4:18 AM
BTW the computer cheats on hardest. Not on hard, though.
Page: 1 of 1